willie

TA Memberships

Has anyone got any info or know where to find it... Need info about how many registered athletes and clubs within Triathlon in Australia? 

Look for the annual report from last year on the Triathlon Australia website.  You're unlikely to see this season't numbers for a few months (and they'll likely be down if you're using it to try and justify something.)

I'm going to put in an expression of interest for the database system. I've already started building it and it's been taken up by another large sporting body (even though it's not quite finished, the reaction to a very early MVP was sensarional). This will be part of the transitions update to come soon where hopefully we can host clubs etc and give them a lot better control of things (and it'll be 100% compatible on mobile). 

Just looking to see what numbers are being drawn etc so I can do the submission correctly. 

I reckon it will be about 1/8th of the current cost, it's being setup to be 'modular' if you like so it's quite adaptable. The problem I've had with other systems is how inflexible they are unless you pay extra $$$ for something more tailored. It's blows my mind how much clubs pay for the current system. Some of them actively try to avoid it where possible also. 

I figure to host your club's website it'll be free (we'll pay for hosting etc) you'll also have access to forum type features that'll auto push to instafacebookergram as well for announcements etc which will be neat. If you run club races registrations using the system will be free minus the 1.25% card fee (bank charge, not ours). 

If our timing software works like I hope (being built as well) we should in theory be able to get instant live data feed instead of the shit we rely on now (I don't think any company does it that well at a reasonable cost at the minute). I built the RFID system to go along with it. Surprisingly not that expensive and much easier than the radio shit I've played with in the army. We'll be looking to test it shortly. 

Best of it all. It'll be mobile based via app. First part should come online in about September. With everything online come April ready for 20/21 season. 

Interesting. I do think the current system used by TA for handling memberships is absolute rubbish.When I was on my clubs executive I used to have to help manage members so we could coordinate club communications and it was a nightmare.

My tri and cycling club use TeamApp for training comms and its free and does some of the stuff you allude to there Willie. I think its good for what it does (allowing coordination of training/events) there are some things that it lacks. That feature around timing does sound really cool. 

Give us a yell if you're doing any beta testing or things like that. My club might be interested in something like this. 

I know all about TeamApp and I reckon this will be just as good, if not better. Eventually we hope it will be an all in one tool that your club can use. We won't be pushing nything like TP or Strava, just something for club members to fill volunteer rosters, work out who is coming to group training sessions etc through push notification. 

Seriously regardless of what TA does I'm still pushing forward with it. I have two paying customers helping with it already (I'm helping them bud into it what they need). 

• Like 3

On 21/06/2019 at 11:46 AM, willie said:

I'm going to put in an expression of interest for the database system. I've already started building it and it's been taken up by another large sporting body (even though it's not quite finished, the reaction to a very early MVP was sensarional). This will be part of the transitions update to come soon where hopefully we can host clubs etc and give them a lot better control of things (and it'll be 100% compatible on mobile). 

Just looking to see what numbers are being drawn etc so I can do the submission correctly. 

It has to be better than that ACCORD system they scored from the Feds a few years back and farmed out to the states to operate for them (then TA just collated the data to form their database) - I was TQ's registrar at the time and it was so much worse than the proposal I had put to TA years earlier.

I havel also cancelled my auto renewal now that I have retired.

Well I heard a rumor that memberships are about to increase by about 23%

i haven’t checked what it was last season or what it will cost this season. 

Anyone got the numbers?

• Sad 1

I know they upped affiliation 60% this year.  Clubs run by volunteers and it has gone up over 60% in thirteen months.  

It's not much of a cost but the principal, with volunteers running most clubs, not paid employees like TA have at their disposal.

Cant wait to read the annual report and see the cost of insurance has gone up over 60% in 13 months in the numbers. Would love to see them cut their million dollar travel spend by over 60% instead of upping charges on the grass roots. 

And yeah I know people spend $10k on bikes so its ok to up prices in triathlon heaps more than inflation, 60% more then inflation....

I’ve just read cycling insurance is up heaps. 

The Cycling Victoria Board has voted to absorb the majority of insurance premium increases from July 1, 2019.

This follows Cycling Australia’s announcement on Friday that insurance premiums would rise by approximately 46% from July 1,2019 with the majority of the increase (80%) to be passed directly on to the State Sporting Organisations.

“Unfortunately, there’s no good outcome here for our members,” explained Lisa Byrne, President of Cycling Victoria. “Either we pass on the full amount and they are out of pocket immediately or we absorb the costs and our Profit and Loss is hit by $100k.”

“Given we are a not-for-profit and target only to break-even each year, this means we essentially have $100k less to run programs and support services, which is unacceptable. In the short term, we will be reducing our reserves to fund this gap while we consider other funding options.”

“Cycling Victoria calls on Cycling Australia to deliver value to its members through a negotiated insurance reduction. Indeed, this would be a great way for Cycling Australia to demonstrate the value that the OneCycling model can unlock for members.”

The insurance premium changes mean that membership for our Victoria-based members will increase from July 1, 2019 by approximately 6% on average.

46 minutes ago, Peter said:

Will be stoked to read its justified.  I accept with the membership in free fall, down 13% over the last two FY's as contained in their annual report for 2018 some rise is required above the 2-3% inflation rate (we have previously had uniformed people on here suggest membership isn't declining so have put the reference in).  Will be interesting to see if the free fall has continued, or the parachute has deployed or some one has got some hot air under the membership to get it going up.

If my club didn’t run awesome club events I wouldn’t join TA/Trivic. 

How do they report one day membership ? Does this get reported/benefit for TA or just all insurance costs ?

FM 

23 hours ago, Peter said:

If my club didn’t run awesome club events I wouldn’t join TA/Trivic. 

Must be a great club.

On 27/06/2019 at 7:44 PM, Peter said:

Cycling Vic: 

On 27/06/2019 at 7:44 PM, Peter said:

"Given we are a not-for-profit and target only to break-even each year, ...."

respectfully that is a crock. Incorporated associations - aka not-for-profit (of the members) need to aim to make a profit, if they aim to only break even then they're likely to run at a loss a significant portion of the time. Really they aim for a profit, and then try to decide how to spend that profit for the benefit of members in the furtherance of the aims of the association.

Edited by trifun

So most of this (increased cost) comes down to insurance.

At least in the ACT, the same policy underwrites Cycling ACT, as it does for the cycling group Pedal Power, To my knowledge, it is also the same group who also underwrites MTBA and Triathlon Australia.

Which means for those of us with multiple licences, we are paying for the same policy multiple times, with the knowledge and understand that you are only allowed to claim on one if the worst is to occur. It seems to me, that there should be a better way of organising the insurance through one group, and then just be able to pay affiliation costs to the other bodies, for those who do have multiple licences. (for instance, needing to do manual licence entry for CA, and then hoping they send you back a refund is not good from the consumers point of view - And I do know of people who have waited more than six months for the refund)

You only need to pay the insurance part once.

For example, if you have TA membership and want to get Cycling Australia, when you join CA, you can give your TA membership and you don't pay the insurance part again.

Same for MTB and Vets etc...

I do it everyyear with CA membership

and I've never waited for the refund.  it just comes in at the same time the lic gets sent to me.  (Cycling Vic)

Edited by Peter

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

For example, if you have TA membership and want to get Cycling Australia, when you join CA, you can give your TA membership and you don't pay the insurance part again.

What?! I just paid it. My CA membership, that is. 

Edited by Cranky

Just now, Cranky said:

What?! I just paid it.

just email them.  you'll get a refund for the insurance part.

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

just email them.  you'll get a refund for the insurance part.

Awesome!! Thanks!!!!

Screenshot_20190701-111907_Outlook.jpg

2 hours ago, Peter said:

DO you know if the reverse is true? I have a CA membership from this year, will TA give me a discount?

56 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

DO you know if the reverse is true? I have a CA membership from this year, will TA give me a discount?

I believe so but as I usually already a TA member by Jan 1 when I purchase the CA membership, I've never needed to do it the other way.

• Like 1

But TA starts 1st July and CA starts 1st Jan right? How do they reconcile that? You could join CA, then join TA, get your insurance money back, not rejoin TA in Jan the next year and be uninsured for 6 months?

3 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

But TA starts 1st July and CA starts 1st Jan right? How do they reconcile that? You could join CA, then join TA, get your insurance money back, not rejoin TA in Jan the next year and be uninsured for 6 months?

probably until you crashed and needed insurance and they found you didnt have any.

Give it a go and get back to us.

2 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Unlikely.  Your CA membership wouldn't have you covered for swimming and running.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peter said:

and I've never waited for the refund.  it just comes in at the same time the lic gets sent to me.  (Cycling Vic)

As again, while possible in some cases, (The paperwork may have gotten better of the last few years), it is still quite onerous, and it can take time (in the range of months) for the refund to turn up.

Also, at least in the ACT, last I looked, no refund for a vets licence, if you have a different licence.

1 hour ago, BogFrog said:

CA Membership doesn't start at any specific date now - you can sign up for a year at any point and it won't expire until 365 from there. 

41 minutes ago, Stikman said:

Unlikely.  Your CA membership wouldn't have you covered for swimming and running.

That makes sense

45 minutes ago, Stikman said:

They should at least refund a part of it. The insurance company (and TA) should know the % of claim money they pay out on each of the 3 components of the cover, so could at least cover an amount proportional to the cycling %.

1 hour ago, Cape_Horn said:

As again, while possible in some cases, (The paperwork may have gotten better of the last few years), it is still quite onerous, and it can take time (in the range of months) for the refund to turn up.

Also, at least in the ACT, last I looked, no refund for a vets licence, if you have a different licence.

They emailed me back once I gave them my bank account details and proof of my Triathlon Australia membership. They said I would have my refund within 5 to 10 days.

Just now, Cranky said:

They emailed me back once I gave them my bank account details and proof of my Triathlon Australia membership. They said I would have my refund within 5 to 10 days.

I got the refund from CA within a week of notifying them. I did this in Jan this year.

7 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

3 hours ago, Peter said:

FFS.  I'll look  into it.

Spoke to Trivic this arvo. 

Not possible at the moment.  But they are working on it as they agree having double insurance is silly. 

5 hours ago, Stikman said:

has anyone ever claimed on Swimming?

Had a call from TA today, asking about fact I hadn't renewed membership.

Reason I'm leaving Australia as the only reason.

Was good to see follow up on no renewals

On 01/07/2019 at 7:50 PM, Bored@work said:

has anyone ever claimed on Swimming?

I know someone who did... Destroyed their foot exiting the swim I'm a race 

3 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

Had a call from TA today, asking about fact I hadn't renewed membership.

Reason I'm leaving Australia as the only reason.

Was good to see follow up on no renewals

I also had a call from TA on the same thing. Guy was very pleasant and asked me a few questions about my races etc.

Told him I was retired from racing (participating).

Hmm. Interesting.  

I cant wait for my call.  

I got a call and suggested they offer membership as pay by month and on a rolling basis eg can start in March or July or December whenever you just agree to 12 months whenever you start. CA are doing that now so TA should follow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gotta laugh, you would never see this in a sport like triathlon with a free falling membership decline based on the previous annual reports.  You would never see the powers that be, use modern measures like counting social media interactions that may come from one person multiple times as a measure of success, or  participants of triathlon that may do more than one race whilst less and less people join the sports membership and order it that way in an annual report where you get to social media numbers before membership numbers. 

What has been worse for triathlon, stealing monaro's or compulsory membership?  Lol.    We are not alone though.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/caught-out-cricket-s-inflated-playing-numbers-revealed-20190720-p5292s.html