Peter

Switching from Ironman to 70.3 race eve

This is extremely impressive Ironman allow this. Sometimes you just aren’t ready.  

Allowing this is a good thing. 

8978A914-4D90-49F9-9C79-BAEFB8F4FA9C.png

2 hours ago, Peter said:

This is extremely impressive Ironman allow this. Sometimes you just aren’t ready.  

8978A914-4D90-49F9-9C79-BAEFB8F4FA9C.png

Not only that.... but Matty is probably one of the most impressive athletes going around. And......he’s been doing in for 35+ years.......

Yeah Matt is farking impressive.  Totally agree. 

# Disclaimer - I'm not coached by him, I don't know him, I have never spoken to him. 

I follow him on Facebook & watch his video clips. I watched him race last Sunday. 

When he does post he's humble, honest, keeps his ego in check. He talks about pre race stress etc in his latest vlog. 

One of his vlogs is worth more than 20 posts from some other ass puppet telling you how great he is. I would really like to see him posting on trannies more. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

# Disclaimer - I'm not coached by him, I don't know him, I have never spoken to him. 

I follow him on Facebook & watch his video clips. I watched him race last Sunday. 

When he does post he's humble, honest, keeps his ego in check. He talks about pre race stress etc in his latest vlog. 

One of his vlogs is worth more than 20 posts from some other ass puppet telling you how great he is. I would really like to see him posting on trannies more. 

I had a lengthy talk with Matt after the race last Sunday - we discussed Transitions and some of the guys posting here 😥😪😏

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Nicest and honest coach/competitor you will ever meet. He is happy to offer help if you like but doesn't force his ideas on you (unless you decide to be coached). Spoke with him briefly a couple of times at Port. 

Tough as nails competitor. One of the true ongoing people in our sport.

FM

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Nicest and honest coach/competitor you will ever meet. He is happy to offer help if you like but doesn't force his ideas on you (unless you decide to be coached). Spoke with him briefly a couple of times at Port. 

FM

Did you talking about Transitions?  LOL  

• Haha 1

No Pete. A little bit about the race (in the street) but mainly our families, kids etc (at the same motel we stayed). Being a dad is very important to him.

FM

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flanman said:

No Pete. A little bit about the race (in the street) but mainly our families, kids etc (at the same motel we stayed). Being a dad is very important to him.

FM

Did he talk about AP?

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Peter said:

I wonder if they would let you or I do the same thing?

I just listened to another one of his Vlogs. Talking about pushing too hard in transition, pacing on the bike, confidence etc. 

I really like listening to them (I'm at work for a few hours this afternon)

Does he do a podcast? i have a three hour drive tomorrow for work and would love to listen to more of his tips.

• Like 1

Just now, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I think Otter changed from the half to the full the day before.

12 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I think Otter changed from the half to the full the day before.

I am impressed. They must be overcoming some of their IT limitations.

Well there is proof they do it now. 

11 hours ago, Bored@work said:

😉 Thank you. Don't worry...I've got plenty of flaws as well.

I got out of rhythm with my vlogging sometime back because I focused on the words of someone last year at IRONMAN Cairns, that they had to switch me off on social media because I was too prolific/annoying, or similar. Sort of knocked the wind out of me, and I was rather embarrassed, to be honest, when he said that it to me in front of a few others as I watched the race.

Those words resonated for a long time as I worried I might be boring the hell out of/annoying people.

Edited by MJK
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Flanman said:

FM

Good conversation that was, mate, I enjoyed it...what were you cooking up on the BBQ that night, btw?

I'm trying to recall...wasn't it half a cow you had on that hot plate by memory?

I think I was dubious as to whether it would digest by race start.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Lol...not that I am any different to anybody else.

But the young girls at registration have zero idea about how long I've been/what I might have achieved in the sport.

I have swapped in the final two days three times now.

Seemingly anyone can do it.

This time I had already been through check in for the 70.3 the day before.

Then I came back the next day and asked if I can become half a man.

Each time I have done this...the refund is zero.

Lol. 

But I don't complain, because there is no 'value' if you don't want to be out there.

Great service on IRONMAN'S behalf I think.

As a client, they kept me happy and made it an easy process, without any argument whatsoever.

Edited by MJK

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I just listened to another one of his Vlogs. Talking about pushing too hard in transition, pacing on the bike, confidence etc. 

I really like listening to them (I'm at work for a few hours this afternon)

Does he do a podcast? i have a three hour drive tomorrow for work and would love to listen to more of his tips.

Anyone that wants to hear more...tell me!

Go on my FB page and ask for more, and give me topic suggestions as to what you might like my thoughts on.

Contrary to what seems popular belief, I like and encourage this, because it gives me more certainty that at least someone is interested.

I'm genuinely interested in what people might like to hear about, because after doing so many videos you start to run out of content on your own.

Unfortunately my work can come across a bit unpolished at times.

But typically...no, always...there is no planning.

What happens is I get a brain fart, then I immediately go and find somewhere quiet around the home, albeit not the most flash back-drop, and press record and talk.

I never write a script, have a plan, or anything. That doesn't work at all for me.

The only way for me is to let it come naturally, just say whatever is flooding into my head and doesn't have to reached inside for.

I probably forget more things than I say sometimes.

But this method, as rough as it can be, is more natural to me and I hope conveys a better message.

Edited by MJK
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I like your FB videos too.  Just keep them short is all I ask.  5 minutes tops.

But Love your work. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter said:

I like your FB videos too.  Just keep them short is all I ask.  5 minutes tops.

But Love your work. 

That is a good point - many of us will click on something and see that it's going to be 10-15min then bail out immediately - where if it's 4min we'll stay and watch it through - I think it's just the way it is these days 

15 minutes ago, AP said:

That is a good point - many of us will click on something and see that it's going to be 10-15min then bail out immediately - where if it's 4min we'll stay and watch it through - I think it's just the way it is these days 

If you look at all the top youtube guys that are making money from videos its rare they go over 10 minutes.  Most are 5-7 minutes.

36 minutes ago, Peter said:

If you look at all the top youtube guys that are making money from videos its rare they go over 10 minutes.  Most are 5-7 minutes.

The ones making the "real" money are making them just over 10mins. That way they can put more than one advert in and their algorithm thing pays more regarding minutes watched.

19 hours ago, MJK said:

Good conversation that was, mate, I enjoyed it...what were you cooking up on the BBQ that night, btw?

I'm trying to recall...wasn't it half a cow you had on that hot plate by memory?

I think I was dubious as to whether it would digest by race start.

Just enough for a big bloke. It was ok as dessert was Pico-prep.

FM

5A8DD039-2871-4E92-B22C-023C75709D4B.jpeg

• Like 1

On 16/06/2019 at 8:38 PM, MJK said:

😉 Thank you. Don't worry...I've got plenty of flaws as well.

I got out of rhythm with my vlogging sometime back because I focused on the words of someone last year at IRONMAN Cairns, that they had to switch me off on social media because I was too prolific/annoying, or similar. Sort of knocked the wind out of me, and I was rather embarrassed, to be honest, when he said that it to me in front of a few others as I watched the race.

Those words resonated for a long time as I worried I might be boring the hell out of/annoying people.

Fly-fishing guides post something every day & I watch them!  I'm sure you are not over-doing it. I'm going to have to have a look at your FB & Vlog info though as it sounds interesting.

18 hours ago, AP said:

I watch fishing, fly-tying and model aircraft building vids that go for more than 20mins.  Sometimes you have to watch the whole thing to pick up the subtle but important details.