Sign in to follow this  
japay1

Reducing noise - turbo trainer

Hi All. I'm moving into an apartment (not yay) and looking to reduce/minimise noise from my trainer. I have a tacx satori smart trainer, with trainer specific wheel. I was wondering if anyone had any mat/material/noise minimising recommendations to ensure my neighbours are not interrupted. Cheers

I can tell you we tried with my house mate with that trainer, we could hear it for the garage. I made him get a kickr core before it drives me nuts. 

There's as much noise from vibration as there is tyre noise with that trainer. 

• Sad 1

We bought a rubber mat from bunnings - the type of mat found in gyms / weights rooms. It's pretty heavy and it massively reduces the noise

• Thanks 1

If you have a Clark rubber store near you, go and check out there rubber mats and sheets.  You should be able to get something to reduce the noise and vibrations 

• Thanks 1

I bought a trainer mat from anaconda. I had the Elite with the elastigel roller, now moved to the kickr snap (multi bike household with different clusters).

We checked in the hallway and no noise, but we are carpeted here.

I ride a LeMond Evolution. The only way that I can make that any quieter is if I stop. I have to train with the doors and windows closed, and with earplugs in. If I train with the windows open, the neighbours across the street get up and shut their windows.

• Haha 2

Talking about trainers. I have an old indoor trainer but haven't used in for about 7 or 8 years. Is it best to use another skewer other than your actual bike skewer ? How much damage does it do ?

Maybe I am need of a new/2nd hand trainer. Mine is about 15 years old.

FM

I use a trainer skewer with mine. They fit better, and they don't scratch up the nice skewers.

About 14years ago I bought a Cyclops Fluid trainer from PeePee, at the same time I bought one of their rubber training mats. I ran that turbo in every unit I lived in Oz and our first two flats in the UK (all carpeted) with the rubber mat and never had anyone complain from downstairs.

I have an Elite Direto now which is very quiet. Ironically, our last two places have been houses.:lol:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BNothling said:

I ride a LeMond Evolution. The only way that I can make that any quieter is if I stop. I have to train with the doors and windows closed, and with earplugs in. If I train with the windows open, the neighbours across the street get up and shut their windows.

Great trainer though. 

I live under the flight path and used to joke that pilots would lean out the windows of their planes and tell me to keep the noise down 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Great trainer though. 

I live under the flight path and used to joke that pilots would lean out the windows of their planes and tell me to keep the noise down 

I remember when I used to have a proper welded ergo way back when. My old man built me a shed in the corner of the back yard to get it away from the house 

3 hours ago, roxii said:

Great trainer though. 

You're not wrong. It's amazing.