Sign in to follow this  
Bored@work

Thoughts from Cairns

Tri club numbers seemed to be down this year. 

T-zero, ADF and Red Dogs had good numbers but apart from that the number of clubs represented seemed to be down.

There were lots of people representing clothing brands. Wynn Republic, Watti Ink, Cup Cake Cartel. All had plenty of representation. 

Orca & 2XU was worn by one or two of the old boys. They have lost their spot in the market . 

Lots of people wearing the orange Nike 4% shoes, Ceramic bearings & over sized jockey wheels are becoming the norm. 

Jetstar did a great job getting behind this event with over 100 people racing & some of the best support on the course.

Volunterring in the rain is tough work. 

Ironman are doing anything they can to save money. 

- less food on the run aid stations

- mixing water in with the cola & redbull

- using the same volunteer tops from port Mac with iron on transfers over the sponsors

- crowd control for pedestrian cross over points is hard work. People are just dumb. Looking at their phones & walking straight into runners

- volunteer numbers were way down 

*** Coffs Pete is an absolute legend & a true statesman of the sport. I spoke to him before the race. He knew he wasn’t in the best form. I think he may have been injured. He got out there & got it done. He did a good enough swim/bike to allow him to walk the marathon & respect the race. I spoke with him at the 21km mark of the run & jogged with him for a little bit. He knew he would be close to cut off but kept positive & kept going. If Ironman is 78.5% mental this guy proved it on race day.***

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for volunteering, a massive kudos to you and the family. I’ll add one more point - 70.3 is the money vehicle of the future for IM. So good to see so many individuals and teams out there - and the merchandise that everyone buys is just crazy. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

70.3 is the way, you can be done and having 12 having beers watching IM peeps

Changed that for you Barry

FM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, MackaEvo2 said:

All of the 70.3 medals also had the Ironman distances on them

Some great pb times for some then 

12 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Orca & 2XU was worn by one or two of the old boys. They have lost their spot in the market . 

Out of interest, what are people wearing these days?

36 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

What about wetties?

Blue 70, Roka?

Yep & 2XU. Didn’t notice many Orca. 

Orca has really lost its popularity in the Ironman market 

5 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Yep & 2XU. Didn’t notice many Orca. 

Orca has really lost its popularity in the Ironman market 

Interesting. The founder wouldn't be happy...

To this day orca have been the best tri shorts I've ever owned. However I just can't justify paying the prices asked for their sleeves suits and their designs are pretty boring

On 12/06/2019 at 7:21 AM, pieman said:

To this day orca have been the best tri shorts I've ever owned. However I just can't justify paying the prices asked for their sleeves suits and their designs are pretty boring

My first Orca survived about 6 years or so. The next suit fell apart. I am now on a blue seventy helix which has been pretty good. The arms these days though are way to thin. 

On 11/06/2019 at 12:55 PM, Nick777 said:

Interesting. The founder wouldn't be happy...

Don't ask then what my FOOR wetsuit stands for:lol:

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

Don't ask then what my FOOR wetsuit stands for:lol:

You've said this multiple times and I'm getting more and more intrigued...

5 minutes ago, pieman said:

I would think the last 2 letters stand for Orca. Is that correct FP?

6 hours ago, pieman said:

The story goes that the founder of FOOR was a distributor or something for Orca and got screwed over somehow, so he started his brand. The last two letters are "Orca' and you can pretty much guess the rest. :whistling: 

I didn't believe it when it first it but several folks told me, including an industry insider confirmed 'it's pretty much that' when I quizzed him.

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I would think the last 2 letters stand for Orca. Is that correct FP?

Yep :lol:

Hahahaha that's gold! Sounds like orca and 2XU haven't done themselves any favours with the masses. I've heard some horror stories out of both. 

6 hours ago, FatPom said:

The story goes that the founder of FOOR was a distributor or something for Orca and got screwed over somehow

Lasting friendships are not their strong suit.

Edited by Nick777

36 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Lasting friendships are not their strong suit.

Sounds like you've got a story too... 

43 minutes ago, willie said:

Does FOOR even exist anymore? 

I think they do - although they seem only to be available from TriUK over here - wonder if they've done a PlanetX and bought up the names?

16 minutes ago, altayloraus said:

I think they do - although they seem only to be available from TriUK over here - wonder if they've done a PlanetX and bought up the names?

I believe TriUK are the ones behind FOOR or am I wrong? @FatPom might know more 

Nope TriUK are the only ones doing em now. I think they might have gone tits up in Australia and sold to TriUK 

30 minutes ago, altayloraus said:

FOOR were always independent, you used to be able to get them everywhere. They are very popular over here. Looks like TRI UK have swallowed them up now. Not a bad place to buy a wettie, they have an Endless Pool in the shop.

Tri UK have an insane amount of stock, the largest bike shop I've ever seen by a long shot but I have noticed a change in prominence of some of the brands they deal with. For example, Giant used to have their own concept store within Tri UK on the mezzanine floor but that has been taken over by Cervelo now.

They don't do a lot of the high end clothes and shoes like they used to either. Coffee is still good though and they know my Mum by name. :lol:

Edited by FatPom