Sign in to follow this  
Go Easy

Garmin Forerunner 35

Considering I've never owned or used a GPS Watch or Fitness Tracker before, and as an avid believer in just training and racing to feel, I can't believe I'm actually considering buying a device (albeit a cheap basic one) to help track my Distances, Heart Rates & Sleep Patterns.

After having a recent health scare, which is still being reviewed to help find a cause, I thought it might be beneficial to have some basic stats to show the experts (Eg, Cardiologist, Urologist & Neurologist etc) to help assist them with where I'm at fitness wise.  After some recent talk on this site about resting heartrates and sleep patterns I thought it might also help me get a bit more motivated to track my own fitness, get more sleep and hopefully get a bit healthier.

The 'Garmin Forerunner 35' is currently $149.00 (50% off) at Rebel Sports, is this a good starting point for a numpty like me to enter the 21st Century?

3 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

Considering I've never owned or used a GPS Watch or Fitness Tracker before, and as an avid believer in just training and racing to feel, I can't believe I'm actually considering buying a device (albeit a cheap basic one) to help track my Distances, Heart Rates & Sleep Patterns.

After having a recent health scare, which is still being reviewed to help find a cause, I thought it might be beneficial to have some basic stats to show the experts (Eg, Cardiologist, Urologist & Neurologist etc) to help assist them with where I'm at fitness wise.  After some recent talk on this site about resting heartrates and sleep patterns I thought it might also help me get a bit more motivated to track my own fitness, get more sleep and hopefully get a bit healthier.

The 'Garmin Forerunner 35' is currently $149.00 (50% off) at Rebel Sports, is this a good starting point for a numpty like me to enter the 21st Century?

I am using a 935 but given my experiences of the accuracy of the HR data from the wrist HR and the sleep tracker, if any medical professional used it I would probably go to find a new Dr...

The HR usually reads 8-10 below what a chest strap is showing and the sleep tracker says I have had hours of 'deep' or 'REM' sleep on nights when I have been up and down with kids or lying awake stressing about tomorrow at work.. 

the gps is usually all good, but I wouldnt put much stock in any of the other features...

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, pieman said:

I am using a 935 but given my experiences of the accuracy of the HR data from the wrist HR and the sleep tracker, if any medical professional used it I would probably go to find a new Dr...

The HR usually reads 8-10 below what a chest strap is showing and the sleep tracker says I have had hours of 'deep' or 'REM' sleep on nights when I have been up and down with kids or lying awake stressing about tomorrow at work.. 

the gps is usually all good, but I wouldnt put much stock in any of the other features...

The medical professionals haven't asked for it, I was just thinking that if it was sort of accurate then maybe it would give them an idea... but maybe not.

So what's better about a 935 than the 35?   I only want basic, I'm technologically challenged.

Am more than happy to take resting heartrate manually if that's the best option.

7 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

The medical professionals haven't asked for it, I was just thinking that if it was sort of accurate then maybe it would give them an idea... but maybe not.

So what's better about a 935 than the 35?   I only want basic, I'm technologically challenged.

Am more than happy to take resting heartrate manually if that's the best option.

In terms of the HR stuff, I would assume they are very similar with the same accuracy issues... the 935 is the version for tri with all the swim bike run features..

If it is just for resting HR then yeah I would just take it manually...

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, pieman said:

In terms of the HR stuff, I would assume they are very similar with the same accuracy issues... the 935 is the version for tri with all the swim bike run features..

If it is just for resting HR then yeah I would just take it manually...

Ok, perfect.  I'm not a real triathlete anymore so don't really need the 935 then.

I'll just take resting HR manually and then ask mates that I run with for accurate distances if I ever need them.

Thanks Pieman!  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, pieman said:

The HR usually reads 8-10 below what a chest strap is showing

I always look at mine when the nurse is reading my HR at blood donations, and it's always within 1 or 2 of what she comes up with. I think they'd be a bit different while the HR is fluctuating, or you are active, but they seem pretty good when resting.

• Thanks 1

The accuracy of wrist based HR can be individual. I find that if I have my 935 watch band firm/tight it reads very close to my Scoche arm band heart rate monitor.

Check out DC Rainmaker web site. On newer units like the Forerunner 45 he reviews HR accuracy.

• Thanks 1

Go Easy I'd start with the 235 instead of the 35 personally (the 35 is a bit iffy) It's just a much better all around unit and battery life won't be such an issue... 235 normally goes for $250

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Check out DC Rainmaker web site...

After having my 'brain farts' I couldn't even recall this website, which I definitely knew about beforehand.

Thanks for the reminder and the info on the HR accuracy.

4 hours ago, willie said:

Go Easy I'd start with the 235 instead of the 35 personally (the 35 is a bit iffy) It's just a much better all around unit and battery life won't be such an issue... 235 normally goes for $250

As you know I'm not a big fan of 'over the top' technology, but if I'm going to get something then it may as well be something that does what I want it to do.  Thanks mate, when I get a chance I'll check them out.

My wife has a 35. it's OK - seems to have the basics, but also has bluetooth notifications from her phone that is pretty cool.

One thing, for some reason it does not like being charged on normal plugpack/iphone type chargers.  When I plug it into my computers USB port it charges OK though.

• Thanks 1