Sign in to follow this  
flathead

Shaun Creighton Australian M50+ Marathon record

Shaun Creighton cracked the Australian M50+ marathon record last weekend in the Christchurch Marathon. Done in 2:30:23, that's a 3:33 minute Kilometre pace. Bloody fast for an old fella. I'm in that category (old) so I think I'll have to see on the weekend how long I can hold that pace. I may be good for 400 Metres. :( Strava tells me my best estimated 1km is 3:40 three years ago.

This made me look up the qualifying time for the Olympics as I remembered it was around the 2:20 mark and found this

In the marathon, the qualifying standard for the 2016 Games in Rio was 2:19 for men and 2:45 for women. For the 2020 Olympics, those marks have dropped to 2:11:30 and 2:29:30, respectively.

That's a pretty big jump for qualifying times isn't it? 

How can every country find someone that can run 2:11...

50 minutes ago, Horowitz said:

This made me look up the qualifying time for the Olympics as I remembered it was around the 2:20 mark and found this

That's a pretty big jump for qualifying times isn't it? 

How can every country find someone that can run 2:11...

Right across the board in athletics. Won't be many Aussies

IMG_20190605_163016.jpg

In that list above there is Ironman....says qualifying time is 13:00 hours. 😬

The Marathon (where we have 2) is the only running event where an Australian male has run the qualifying time so far this year.

3 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

An Armidale lad, just like Cadel 😁

Good one CN. I love it when every town in Australia tries to claim someone. It's what makes Australia, 'Straya mate!!  

BTW Armidale has produced some quality A Grade Aussies.....Like Barnaby Joyce, Lol. Ya gotta love old Barnaby. Only man to link communism to the act of charging farmers for rural water supplies. Mind you, he did have a quality Mid life crisis which nabbed him a much younger spouse and 2 more kids. 

20 hours ago, Greyman said:

Good one CN. I love it when every town in Australia tries to claim someone. It's what makes Australia, 'Straya mate!!  

BTW Armidale has produced some quality A Grade Aussies.....Like Barnaby Joyce, Lol. Ya gotta love old Barnaby. Only man to link communism to the act of charging farmers for rural water supplies. Mind you, he did have a quality Mid life crisis which nabbed him a much younger spouse and 2 more kids. 

I know right 😄 Cadel is a bit of a long shot, though he did live here as a kid for many years (with a foster family I think?).  Shaun was here for much longer, at UNE and involved heavily with Armidale Athletics Club before moving away for work.

Barnaby, I'm not claiming (I don't think he is from Armidale other than UNE/Albies College, and what can you expect from an Albies lad...says the Robb boy) - you've got to add some selectivity to your home-town bragging....and as for a younger spouse and 2 more kids, fark he can have em!

• Haha 1