Aidan

Challenge Shep cancelled

9 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Best announce soon otherwise husky

could be HuskIM by then with all the conspiracy theories going on in triland atm lol 

53 minutes ago, Sebee said:

could be HuskIM by then with all the conspiracy theories going on in triland atm lol 

I'd be selling if Wanda came knocking... They've got some deep pockets. 

Why does it have to be Challenge or Ironman?

QLD has 5 long course races and only 1 of them is Ironman.

Goodiwindi HOTW

Tweed Enduro

Yeppoon Kracken

70.3 Sunny Coast

Hervey Bay 100

I think that the country races are better as well as half the price.  

I hope that Shep keeps going to for you guys.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Infinit Jase said:

Goodiwindi HOTW

Tweed Enduro

Yeppoon Kracken

70.3 Sunny Coast

Hervey Bay 100

Because the total number of athletes for the 4 above wouldnt even match up with Ironman sunny coast.

People want the Cole / Woolworths version not the IGA/Corner store

Edited by Peter

38 minutes ago, Infinit Jase said:

Goodiwindi HOTW

Tweed Enduro

Yeppoon Kracken

70.3 Sunny Coast

Hervey Bay 100

Tweed is in NSW.... 😉 

• Like 1

Bahahahahaha Pieman.

Hey Pete do you have time to crunch the numbers on the 4 races combined to Sunny Coast 70.3 numbers?  You are the man on all of this stuff.

18 minutes ago, Infinit Jase said:

Bahahahahaha Pieman.

Hey Pete do you have time to crunch the numbers on the 4 races combined to Sunny Coast 70.3 numbers?  You are the man on all of this stuff.

Sure. Tomorrow. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter said:

People Sheep want the Cole / Woolworths version not the IGA/Corner store

It is an unfortunate fact of life that it is very difficult at this point in time for a non IM branded 70.3 distance to survive or to have anywhere near the entry numbers that IM branded events attract.

Sure you can maybe do a couple of years but with little dollar return and a huge workload it soon becomes unviable.

Clubs or associations running events relay on cheap or volunteer labour which in turn causes burnout in a short period of time.

We have been through this in WA.

For some reason a vast majority of the entrants somehow think that the IM brand adds credibility even if they arnt attracted to qualifying spots.This is in the end the demise of private 70.3 distance events.

Lots of us say we would support a private race but there are not enough of us saying or doing that to make it viable.

New people to the sport are dazzeled by the IM promotion so that's where they go.

In WA we now have 2 IM 70.3s cannibilising each other with the advent of the December event taking numbers away from the May event run by TWA.

Sure, its not the only reason numbers are down but its a fact that lots of people wont do 2 in a season and despite the fact that the May event is 33 years old people don't always support it because they choose December at the start of the season.

In my opinion as a competitor in December for the 70.3 we really were considered very much just an add on to the Ironman as second class citizens.

The May event as a stand alone 70.3 its all about just those competitors.

18 hours ago, The new guy said:

They run Port and Busso on the same weekend. Operationally they will be fine. 

Actually they don't. TWA runs Busso and IM run Port.

11 minutes ago, Triatx said:

As I said above there are not enough non Sheep people for private stuff to survive.

Well in my very limited experience IM and Challange experiences was like comparing Jet star with Singapore Airlines. 

I had a ball at Challange Melbourne but it just didn't have the polish. The website was still referencing stuff from 2017 and gave the impression the event wasn't even on , no emails or notifications leading up to the event up until a day or two before (again given the impression is the event even on), even on race day they were calling out over the PA that they were 25 volunteers shorts and were asking for people to step up etc

Just gave a very odd feel overall, but was still great and would have raced it again. 

14 minutes ago, Triatx said:

As I said above there are not enough non Sheep people for private stuff to survive.

Nah the problem in WA is numbers, you just don't have the population to support many more races. It's a lot different on the East coast. I can drive to a few long course race in less time then it takes to fly to Perth, without the drive down to Busselton. 

If you had the population of Sydney you'd be able to sustain one or two more without a hassle, but sadly three long course races on the same course are never going to work. I personally would be more likely to do the 70.3 on same day as ironman because of the amount of my buddies in the full and being able to race and spectate all at once. 

2 minutes ago, more said:

Well in my very limited experience IM and Challange experiences was like comparing Jet star with Singapore Airlines. 

I had a ball at Challange Melbourne but it just didn't have the polish. The website was still referencing stuff from 2017 and gave the impression the event wasn't even on , no emails or notifications leading up to the event up until a day or two before (again given the impression is the event even on), even on race day they were calling out over the PA that they were 25 volunteers shorts and were asking for people to step up etc

Just gave a very odd feel overall, but was still great and would have raced it again. 

that's just 100% laziness on part of the race organisers, unfortunately. 

6 minutes ago, willie said:

Oh I also forget to mention the CEO of Challenge sent an email out talking about the Kiwi hospitality of Melbourne lol, just all in all a bit of a dogs breakfast

59 minutes ago, more said:

Oh I also forget to mention the CEO of Challenge sent an email out talking about the Kiwi hospitality of Melbourne lol, just all in all a bit of a dogs breakfast

:lol: I forgot about that

1 hour ago, willie said:

It could have to do with the Fairfax event staff not knowing week to week if they would have a job after the end of March. Some staff received letters of notice when they returned from their Christmas break in January. Seems the culling started way back then. No wonder things were a little half arsed.

• Like 1

I did shep and then Ironman Geelong 703.  

Geelong shit all over shep.  

I enjoyed shep and went faster at shep but it lacked feeling and life. 

It had been years since I had done an Ironman event and they did an awesome job.  

If I could only do one event (if both were still run) I’d easily pick Geelong over shep.  

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I did shep and then Ironman Geelong 703.  

Geelong shit all over shep.  

I enjoyed shep and went faster at shep but it lacked feeling and life. 

It had been years since I had done an Ironman event and they did an awesome job.  

If I could only do one event (if both were still run) I’d easily pick Geelong over shep.  

Shepp has gone downhill since it moved to Challenge. I’ve raced it the past 10 years and definitely noticed a change in the overall ‘Polish’ of the race. That and numbers are way down! 

3 hours ago, willie said:

Nah the problem in WA is numbers, you just don't have the population to support many more races. It's a lot different on the East coast. I can drive to a few long course race in less time then it takes to fly to Perth, without the drive down to Busselton. 

If you had the population of Sydney you'd be able to sustain one or two more without a hassle, but sadly three long course races on the same course are never going to work. I personally would be more likely to do the 70.3 on same day as ironman because of the amount of my buddies in the full and being able to race and spectate all at once. 

What if they decided to do Ironman Perth

57 minutes ago, Jezza78 said:

Shepp has gone downhill since it moved to Challenge. I’ve raced it the past 10 years and definitely noticed a change in the overall ‘Polish’ of the race. That and numbers are way down! 

Can't disagree. The first two years of Challenge Shep were good but hampered by weather. The downturn started at year three. At no point did the value for money and quality of event production match the Shepparton 70.3 race. 

For mine, The only thing better at Challenge Shepparton to The 70.3 race was the course. 

Counting Individuals with a time recorded in the results:

2019 Tweed Enduro: 335

2019 HOTW: 219

Yeppoon 2018: 74 (!)

HB100 2018: 285

913 Total

2018 Sunny Coast 70.3: 1141

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Peter said:

Because the total number of athletes for the 4 above wouldnt even match up with Ironman sunny coast.

People want the Cole / Woolworths version not the IGA/Corner store

11 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Counting Individuals with a time recorded in the results:

2019 Tweed Enduro: 335

2019 HOTW: 219

Yeppoon 2018: 74 (!)

HB100 2018: 285

913 Total

2018 Sunny Coast 70.3: 1141

And that’s low for sunny coast.  

Ironman are just more professional and polished.  

28 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Can't disagree. The first two years of Challenge Shep were good but hampered by weather. The downturn started at year three. At no point did the value for money and quality of event production match the Shepparton 70.3 race. 

For mine, The only thing better at Challenge Shepparton to The 70.3 race was the course. 

Maybe I am naive, but I did every Shep from 2010-2016 and other than the course change I did not notice a massive difference when it went to Challenge other than the course (better) and the swag bag ( worse).

I was looking to make a come back at Shep this year, might do Murray Man instead then look at Geelong.

Glad I live in Queensland.  Especially as a shorter distance preferred athlete.  So many races to choose from you could probably race nearly every weekend if you wanted to (slight exaggeration).  As an aside, Enduro and HOTW cannibalised  each other by being so close together.

18 hours ago, Peter said:

And that’s low for sunny coast.  

Ironman are just more professional and polished.  

Thanks guys.  I thought the country races would have added up to more than that.  

I guess I'm not into the Razzle Dazzle of Ironman and I like racing friendly low key races.  

7 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

Glad I live in Queensland.  Especially as a shorter distance preferred athlete.  So many races to choose from you could probably race nearly every weekend if you wanted to (slight exaggeration).  As an aside, Enduro and HOTW cannibalised  each other by being so close together.

Agree that the closeness in timing of HOTW and Enduro events is unfortunate.

9 minutes ago, trilobite said:

So to summarise the last couple of pages, Challenge are cactus in Oz?

Seems so 

On 05/06/2019 at 12:13 PM, micka said:

Yah. Thankfully we could cancel our accommodation without a fee and we hadn't booked flights yet for our babysitters (grandparents).

There doesn't appear to be any other half distance options other than Ironman Geelong or challenge Melbourne which are all next year. Although I'd be hesitant to sign up for challenge Melbourne now.

There’s another race called Murray Man in November running in rural town of Barmera in South Australia. I’ve done the last 4 or so and it’s a fun flat race.

6 minutes ago, JenS said:

There’s another race called Murray Man in November running in rural town of Barmera in South Australia. I’ve done the last 4 or so and it’s a fun flat race.

I might be wrong but it's the only long course race in SA isn't it? 

1 hour ago, JenS said:

It's a little more of a trip tho. 

Long drive from Melbourne, and still a drive if u fly to Adelaide. 

Being in SA, pretty much on the Vic border. 

Great race, but not super accessible for all but SA and western Vic peeps 

1 hour ago, JenS said:

My understanding is that Ironman are actually trying to do a deal to take it over. 

Being discussed in cairns this week. 

From a pretty good source.  

I don’t know who the rd for mm is but he is in cairns and was meeting with ironman today. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

Wasn’t there a long course on Kangaroo Is?

17 hours ago, Peter said:

don’t know who the rd for mm is but he is in cairns and was meeting with ironman today

Then how do u know who was talking to ironman? 

I think the RD for MM is Bill. 

Edited by Turts
It's not really Bill

1 minute ago, trilobite said:

Wasn’t there a long course on Kangaroo Is?

Yep, Sufferfest I think 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

My understanding is that Ironman are actually trying to do a deal to take it over. 

Being discussed in cairns this week. 

From a pretty good source.  

I don’t know who the rd for mm is but he is in cairns and was meeting with ironman today. 

I don't think that's a smart move. But alas, who knows what will happen if you put an MDOT on it 

10 hours ago, Turts said:

Yep, Sufferfest I think 

Just looked it up - apparently the 2018 event was canned due to lack of entries

6 minutes ago, trilobite said:

Just looked it up - apparently the 2018 event was canned due to lack of entries

The 2017 event had very low numbers. I think it was a full Ironman distance.

Peter is correct. 

13 hours ago, Turts said:

Then how do u know who was talking to ironman? 

I think the RD for MM is Bill. 

Person 1: “who’s the race director on race day?” 

Person 2: “I’m the race director” 

18 hours ago, willie said:

At present yes. There was a Sufferfest in Murray Bridge that is unlikely to be raced in the 19/20 season. Plus the KI sufferfest is no longer happening. 

I know MM - ‘owned’ by Adelaide Tri Club, and they would like to sell it to either Ironman or Challenge - the latter very unlikely now though. They pay for a race director to run the event. 

I was of the understanding Ironman Aust were not interested in MM though. 

1 hour ago, Jezza78 said:

At present yes. There was a Sufferfest in Murray Bridge that is unlikely to be raced in the 19/20 season. Plus the KI sufferfest is no longer happening. 

I know MM - ‘owned’ by Adelaide Tri Club, and they would like to sell it to either Ironman or Challenge - the latter very unlikely now though. They pay for a race director to run the event. 

I was of the understanding Ironman Aust were not interested in MM though. 

Hmm - but imagine if the same group put in a race in Adelaide - swim/gun around Glenelg, ride up and into the hills - it would be like Nice in Aus. I’d travel for that.

• Like 1

Ironman have wanted to run an event in SA but the bike leg has been the major problem. I have heard this from several people in Ironman. One of the guys said they had travelled over multiple times trying to work something out. 

31 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Ironman have wanted to run an event in SA but the bike leg has been the major problem. I have heard this from several people in Ironman. One of the guys said they had travelled over multiple times trying to work something out. 

Its a real shame they don’t run the HARDEST IRONMAN 70.3 in the World and us the hills in Adelaide.  Promote the hell out of it saying there will be no PB here. 

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

Its a real shame they don’t run the HARDEST IRONMAN 70.3 in the World and us the hills in Adelaide.  Promote the hell out of it saying there will be no PB here. 

It would be good to have MM continue. Particularly for SA athletes. 

I think Victor Harbour is the sleeping giant for this. Plenty of roads down that way used for cycle racing/ training, pick your location for the swim and run and get on with it. 

everybody raises the old accomodation situation, however, applying a bit of lateral thinking, organisation and business acumen could provide a new income stream for ironman, tri travel or the like. They could run their own Airbnb service for competitors and families for the duration of the event and skim a nice fee off the top. Reducing stress around obtaining accomodation in new race locations would attract more competitors. By providing more info about accom and a way to secure it, would be a big bonus for a lot of would be competitors at a new race venue. 

6 minutes ago, Greyman said:

It would be good to have MM continue. Particularly for SA athletes. 

I think Victor Harbour is the sleeping giant for this. Plenty of roads down that way used for cycle racing/ training, pick your location for the swim and run and get on with it. 

everybody raises the old accomodation situation, however, applying a bit of lateral thinking, organisation and business acumen could provide a new income stream for ironman, tri travel or the like. They could run their own Airbnb service for competitors and families for the duration of the event and skim a nice fee off the top. Reducing stress around obtaining accomodation in new race locations would attract more competitors. By providing more info about accom and a way to secure it, would be a big bonus for a lot of would be competitors at a new race venue. 

You mean like the old Normanville half?  It was held at a resort so accommodation sorted (plus plenty nearby), swim in a marina, hilly bike and run.  All within an hour of Adelaide.

3 hours ago, The new guy said:

Hmm - but imagine if the same group put in a race in Adelaide - swim/gun around Glenelg, ride up and into the hills - it would be like Nice in Aus. I’d travel for that.

It could be awesome.. swim at Moana/Sellicks, ride up Sellicks hill, along Page’s Flat road and back, then along Hindmarsh Tiers road and back the down Sellicks again, then run esplanade on the old Silversands oly bike course. Tough 70.3 would be fantastic!

On 06/06/2019 at 1:18 PM, Infinit Jase said:

Goodiwindi HOTW

Tweed Enduro

Yeppoon Kracken

70.3 Sunny Coast

Hervey Bay 100

Ummm. Cairns and Cairns 70.3?

And tweed is NSW. 

What is Yeppoon Kracken? I thought the resort had closed down years ago ...