I recently acquired a Garmin after being gifted some vouchers. It has a VO2 calculation which I take to be a rough guesstimate.

Has anyone gotten a (device) reading and compared it to a real VO2 test? I'm curious if it's even in the ball park as far as accuracy is concerned. If not, does anyone think their device VO2 estimate would be real?

Feel free to post your figures if you'd like to demonstrate how good you are :lol:

Edited by trinube

There's a thread about it somewhere, I remember posting my Garmin estimate and my test results.  But I'm running late so I can't look for it now, sorry!

• Like 1

I've got a Polar V800 and can do a fitness test with it. Haven't religiously done the tests but seeing this thread prompted me to do one. Says estimated VO2 max is 60. Will see if I can find in Polar Flow where previous tests results are stored.

Found them; 48 - 29/12/2015, 45 - 21/02/2016, 41 - 14/08/2017 and now 60. Certainly the trends matches my fitness. Started good training and better eating mid 2017 to now.

1 hour ago, -H- said:

There's a thread about it somewhere, I remember posting my Garmin estimate and my test results.  But I'm running late so I can't look for it now, sorry!

Cheers -H-,  found it (search still sucks) . Certainly didn't want to keep you from a hot date :)

It seems most people see fair discrepancies. I imagine it's the same for the 'fitness age' figure.

I haven't specifically done the test, it just showed up a VO2 number a few days after I started using it and I was a bit curious about it.

Edited by trinube

A bit of light comic relief I suspect. There are some half decent ways of estimating VO2max if not doing gas exchange analysis testing in a lab.

The steady state power from a well paced individual pursuit effort (~4-5 minutes) will be a good indicator of a power level, which when combined with efficiency estimate can be back calculated to give a VO2max value.

http://www.trainingandracingwithapowermeter.com/2010/06/how-to-estimate-vo2max-using-power.html