Ironnerd

Could AP be right about Gelatin?

Been taking a teaspoon in water/juice every morning for the past few months.  Knees currently the best they've been in 7yrs.  I was taking it before, but I think the inflammation was still present so did not notice a diff.  Once (synovial) inflammation was gone, I was mostly left with patella chondromalacia pain (much easier to live with cf synovial burning), and that has almost disappeared after 3mths of religiously taking gelatin.

8 hours ago, Bored@work said:

He’s never wrong. Just ask him.

Yes. I own his book 😄

1 hour ago, Chuckie M said:

Yes. I own his book 😄

Do you think it would look good on my coffee table beside the book of excuses?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been taking it in a cup of tea every morning for a few years now. I can tell the difference if I miss out for any length of time - like holidays, like now. 

FM

Where do you get it @Flanman, is it just supermarket stuff.  And how does it affect your tea?

2 hours ago, goughy said:

Where do you get it @Flanman, is it just supermarket stuff.  And how does it affect your tea?

I just used to get McKenzie's Gelatin from the cake mixtures section of any supermarket.

See the source image

I'd mix it with Milk & Weet-Bix in a 'big' coffee cup and eat that for breakfast, then I'd use the same cup (unwashed) to make a big weak cup of coffee to wash it all down.  Very quick, very easy and very effective.  I had it most mornings for a couple of years when I was having joint issues doing bigger miles.

Buggered if I know if it truly worked or if it was just in my head, but if it was just in my head then I guess it worked anyway... You've just got to be a believer!! 

Edited by Go Easy
Formatting

I was never gullible enough to buy one of these. I wouldnt drink this either

CF6F53F1-B663-42F7-8358-FE222D6C4ACA.png

No offence AP, but you'd have to be the biggest 'Ironman Wanker' I know...

But you've also provided some of the best Ironman training and racing advice I've heard anywhere.

Believe it or not that's meant to be a compliment - credit where credit's due!  :shy:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Go Easy said:

I just used to get McKenzie's Gelatin from the cake mixtures section of any supermarket.

See the source image

Same stuff I use.  Used to be able to get another version from the acupuncture/massage guys, but this stuff seems to work ok.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I was never gullible enough to buy one of these. I wouldnt drink this either

CF6F53F1-B663-42F7-8358-FE222D6C4ACA.png

I'm still wearing mine. I don't fall over very often so it must work. 

I'm going to call this the "f&@ked up Sunday thread. Let's face it, the reports on the airways and interwebby thing are pretty arse about face today.lets have a look at a few:

North beat Richmond, Freeo beat Collingwood, someone said AP is right, in Ruby the Sunwolves best the Reds, Roland Dane admitted he was wrong, Liverpool fans are being humble in victory, Go Easy paid AP a compliment and the channel 7 Sydney weather girl said it would be a nice day to be in Melbourne.  WTF is going on team??!! 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

I'm going to call this the "f&@ked up Sunday thread. Let's face it, the reports on the airways and interwebby thing are pretty arse about face today.lets have a look at a few:

North beat Richmond, Freeo beat Collingwood, someone said AP is right, in Ruby the Sunwolves best the Reds, Roland Dane admitted he was wrong, Liverpool fans are being humble in victory, Go Easy paid AP a compliment and the channel 7 Sydney weather girl said it would be a nice day to be in Melbourne.  WTF is going on team??!! 

Hahaha, yeah but to be fair I have had a couple of major 'brain farts' lately, so I'm likely to say anything!!!

But in all seriousness, even though I sometimes don't like the way that AP has a dig at others on this site, he does have some good advice on what it takes to get to Kona.  His training methods are not the only way to skin that cat, but you can't argue with the number of times that he and his athletes have managed to get there.

5 hours ago, Go Easy said:

No offence AP, but you'd have to be the biggest 'Ironman Wanker' I know...

But you've also provided some of the best Ironman training and racing advice I've heard anywhere.

Believe it or not that's meant to be a compliment - credit where credit's due!  :shy:

We're all wankers in some way - what about the guys who go out to the swamp and try and identify birds - or the guys who collect aircraft numbers out at the airport - you just have to follow your passion, whatever it is.

I don't think I would have become an "Ironman wanker" if the race hadn't beaten me so soundly the first time I tried it. I had to get it right.

On the gelatin issue - I work on the philosophy that if someone asks a question, you give him the most honest answer you can - there's a whole lot of stuff that works that's not "scientifically proven" but hey, most things that have been "scientifically proven" existed before they were "proven to work" 

I really don't care if someone disagrees with what I suggest, others may benefit and not say much 💖 

• Like 6

OK, I was going to try this, but when I bought some & got it home, I noticed it contained preservative 220. I have very high sensitivity to sulphites, so am likely to have a reaction to it, especially if I use it every day, as it builds in my system. Does anybody know of a gelatine brand that doesn't use preservatives 200 - 228?

Thanks

8 hours ago, goughy said:

Goughy , I used to buy a no chemical gelatin via a friend but it is a bit pricey. I now use McKenzies from the supermarket.  I drink green tea and it makes it taste a little earthy. . It doesn’t take long to get used to though  

You put a good table spoon full in a big cup and mix it fast with hot water. Stir for a while. You may get a few little lumps so I picked them out then add the teabag. 

It is gooey and sticky so make sure you stir well then wash the spoon. 

FM

Edited by Flanman

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

How do u know it’s making a difference?

Can't be sure, but my knees are the best they've been in 7yrs.  It feels like the gelatin was the final piece in the jigsaw, along with careful leg strengthening work.

And given all the unnecessary knee surgeries conducted (I'd say maybe 50%?), it's worth trying.

48 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Can't be sure, but my knees are the best they've been in 7yrs.  It feels like the gelatin was the final piece in the jigsaw, along with careful leg strengthening work.

And given all the unnecessary knee surgeries conducted (I'd say maybe 50%?), it's worth trying.

I found Xendurance Joint 4 did the same for me. First tried it about 4 years ago and my knees and back improved a lot. I only take a third of the recommended dosage and sometimes not every day.

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

OK, I was going to try this, but when I bought some & got it home, I noticed it contained preservative 220. I have very high sensitivity to sulphites, so am likely to have a reaction to it, especially if I use it every day, as it builds in my system. Does anybody know of a gelatine brand that doesn't use preservatives 200 - 228?

Thanks

I use Great Lakes Gelatin ( Orange Container) and cant see sulphites preservatives 200 - 228 on The Container at all , Says All Natural .

I have been using it for 3 or 4 years .

Although I Have A F*%^ed Back At The Moment I Can Say Haven't Been Getting Injured Since Taking It .

11 hours ago, Flanman said:

I have used Great Lakes too. 

FM

You can only buy that at Forster😕

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Customer said:

My auntie has a teaspoon of gelatin everyday. At 98, she has the most lovely fingernails.

She'll make a good triathlete one day!

15 hours ago, AP said:

We're all wankers in some way... you just have to follow your passion, whatever it is.

I don't think I would have become an "Ironman wanker" if the race hadn't beaten me so soundly the first time I tried it.  I had to get it right.

Couldn't agree more.  Do you think you'll ever get it totally right?

15 hours ago, AP said:

I really don't care if someone disagrees with what I suggest, others may benefit and not say much 💖 

At least you take the time to suggest things.  There are plenty of people out there who will disagree adamantly about something, but who will never provide any better alternative or suggestion themselves.

On the Gelatin issue, I figure why not.  It's a safe & approved food product, it's reasonably cheap & available, and it's relatively simple to use...  What have you got to lose!  Personally think it works, but who knows,  worse case scenario I should at least end up with some really nice looking fingernails!!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, AP said:

Another tasty way to get your gelatin along with a lot of other valuable minerals is "Best of the Bone" bone broth

It makes a tasty hot drink - worth a try

https://www.allaboutorganicsonline.com.au/product/best-of-the-bone-bone-broth-concentrate-350g/

How long would a jar like that last?  I have heard a lot of good things about bone broth but never been able to find anything local.

3 minutes ago, Toolish said:

How long would a jar like that last?  I have heard a lot of good things about bone broth but never been able to find anything local.

It's not hard to make bone broth, and it's particularly good at this time of year. But a tub of this would last me 3-4 weeks in the fridge, I don't have it every day but it does last well. It only needs refrigerating once opened. One teaspoon in a cup of water is all you need, it's quite concentrated, it's like a syrup.💖

5 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Note that these are empty capsules that you put stuff in. They do not contain gelatin.

oops, my apologies, although I suppose you could fill them with gelatin :)

30 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Note that these are empty capsules that you put stuff in. They do not contain gelatin.

"stuff"?

Were you ever a professional cyclist?

31 minutes ago, trinube said:

oops, my apologies, although I suppose you could fill them with gelatin :)

Aren’t capsules made of gelatin. 

You could have an empty capsule as your treatment. Is that then a placebo or not?  :lol: 

• Haha 1

Do Snakes and Jelly Babies count? I think it's gelatin in them binding the sugar and artificial colour together :)

A vegan told me years ago some gelatin is made from seaweed rather than boiled bones, but not sure how you can tell.