trilobite

How best to train on limited hours

The spouse’s attitude and time management threads suggest that there are a few people on here who have 10 hours or less to train on during the week.

So assume we have an athlete who is limited to 1 hour of training a day (i.e. 7 hours a week average) (ideas on how our athlete can increase available training time can go on the time management thread). Our athlete also wants to do some 1/2 IM races.

To perform as well as possible using that amount of time, should he/she go as hard as possible 1 hour a day, take a MAF heart rate approach or something else?

Does it have to be one hour a day or could you drop some days and do longer sessions on others?

No doubt lots of N=1 to come. My view and experience,  7 hours a week of consistent training is sufficient to enjoy all distances in triathlon with 2-3 big weekends and you are all set for Ironman. My week on 7 hours - 2x 30 min swims, 2 x 45 min runs, 1x 90 min run, 2x 45min trainer sessions (hard), 1x 90 min ‘long ride. I enjoy running, I’m sure others would run less and ride more. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, monkie said:

Does it have to be one hour a day or could you drop some days and do longer sessions on others?

Choose you own adventure.

Focus was on what people thought achieved best “bang for buck” if they had ~7 hours a week - that might be a handful of longer sessions, something high intensity each day or polefit.

From memory, GTN on YouTube spoke about how to do an IM on 10 hours a week. You might be able to style your training on this  

FM

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Flanman said:

From memory, GTN on YouTube spoke about how to do an IM on 10 hours a week. You might be able to style your training on this  

FM

Or even KQ on it....

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/It_worked!_9%3A26%2C_1st_AG_(KQ)_at_IMSR_on_10_hour_per_week_training_plan._P6934708/

you guys clearly aren’t trying hard enough!  He does qualify it though as being an average of 10hrs (peak week is 16 I think) and has a very strong base. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, truck said:

Or even KQ on it....

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/It_worked!_9%3A26%2C_1st_AG_(KQ)_at_IMSR_on_10_hour_per_week_training_plan._P6934708/

you guys clearly aren’t trying hard enough!  He does qualify it though as being an average of 10hrs (peak week is 16 I think) and has a very strong base. 

It’s worth reading his 4 part series on it. It’s the same message as everywhere - consistency. I think triGold on this site has some of the best Ironman tri related information on the net and my main takeaway again - consistency! That and a fair focus on race pace as you get closer to chosen event. I think if everyone looked at training in terms of months rather than weeks - you start to see how inconsistency hits the overall training load. 

• Like 2

I would think utilising brick sessions would be a good use of time.

e.g. Go to pool, 200-300 warm up, main set of 10x100 or 20x50 or 5x200, 200-300 cool down. Out of pool into run gear, 5min easy, 20min Mona Fartlek, 5min easy.

Potential week (discuss)

Mon - swim only, get 3km+

Tues - 45min ride incl 4x3min 110-120% threshold with 3min reco - 15min run off bike (easy)

Wed - Swim/Run brick as above

Thurs - 1hr ride - 5min build warm up, 50min straight @ 80-85% FTP, 5min cool down 

Fri - 1hr easy run, enjoy it

Sat - 40min incl 1500m of race pace+ work - 20min run off @ HIM pace

Sun - 1hr ride as 10min warm up, 4x8min @ threshold of just over, spin to an hour

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ideally, if could go a little longer Sunday then swap Thurs and Sun and build up to 90min around 80%. Also, ideally build Friday run up to 80-90min if possible.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Flanman said:

From memory, GTN on YouTube spoke about how to do an IM on 10 hours a week. You might be able to style your training on this...

You can definitely do an Ironman on less than 10 Hours per week average.

My Average Weekly Totals for the 19 weeks prior to my last successful Ironman were:

Swim 8.13km, Bike 113.32km & Run 39.50km (that should be well under 10 hours per week).

I have done a 70.3 on limited time.

Monday - swim drills - usually up to 2k total (so 45-50mins)
Tuesday - 50 mins on the trainer doing a workout on Zwift - like FTP efforts, etc. Usually catch up on Billions.
Wednesday - 20min tready and weights
Thursday - 30-40 on zwift, and a trot off the bike
Friday - rest
Saturday - long run 1 hour to 2 hours
Sunday - long ride on trainer 2 hours maybe - always a workout - usually get a Marvel movie in

Every now and again I get outside and do a 3 hour road ride, but maybe once a month at most, just to get crappy road time, and I mean crappy roads. I pick them based on how crappy they are. Port has some shitty roads, I don't go near the M7. 

If I had such a limited number of training hours and wanted to do 70.3 distances - I would only train every second day and double the time spent training - making every second day a full recovery day - so many people could gain from that approach - not enough attention paid to recovery

Also I would definitely not go flat out in every session, I'd still do restricted HR training to maximise endurance development - it is after all a 98% endurance event 

Because of the reduced number of hours strict attention to practising good technique in each sport is of great importance - make every session count 💖

On 01/06/2019 at 5:13 PM, MissJess said:

Tuesday - 50 mins on the trainer doing a workout on Zwift - like FTP efforts, etc. Usually catch up on Billions.
Sunday - long ride on trainer 2 hours maybe - always a workout - usually get a Marvel movie in

I have always struggled with watching TV on the trainer and still getting quality in.  I tend to just turn the legs over and struggle to monitor intensity.

6 minutes ago, Toolish said:

I have always struggled with watching TV on the trainer and still getting quality in.  I tend to just turn the legs over and struggle to monitor intensity.

I agree - at least 50% of all training is psychological training, concentration training, if you need to watch TV you're giving away something that you'll be looking for in your next long race 😥

It the same for people who have to have music playing in their ears when out cycling or running, if you can't train without music in your ears you should be in one of those gym spin classes 😶 

Zwift workouts are good for keeping you honest with your effort, ie, ERG mode makes you hit the targets. But I am the same; if I am free-riding and watch something my power falls through the floor.

3 minutes ago, xblane said:

Zwift workouts are good for keeping you honest with your effort, ie, ERG mode makes you hit the targets. But I am the same; if I am free-riding and watch something my power falls through the floor.

Breakfast television works - makes you want to concentrate on the pain of your effort and not the crap on the TV

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, xblane said:

I never understood ERG mode in Zwift. For example-say you load a interval session or what ever into Zwift, just as you are half way up Alpe Due Zwift your resistance could drop back to 120 watts? Seems pointless to me.

TR is much better IMHO-you can have the session going on your mobile phone keeping you accountable all whilst watching a movie or whatever. There is no cheating.

Yeah, I use Rouvy now. I can get two accounts for $120USD a year, and we only do FTP workouts anyway.

29 minutes ago, more said:

I never understood ERG mode in Zwift. For example-say you load a interval session or what ever into Zwift, just as you are half way up Alpe Due Zwift your resistance could drop back to 120 watts? Seems pointless to me.

TR is much better IMHO-you can have the session going on your mobile phone keeping you accountable all whilst watching a movie or whatever. There is no cheating.

How is dropping back to 120 watts on trainer road vs zwift any different?  the only difference is that you are watching a movie or tv versus your little bike rider going 0.5kph up the hill in Zwift..

In saying that, I basically do what you do except sometimes watch Zwift screen but really I only use it for my distance.. 

27 minutes ago, pieman said:

How is dropping back to 120 watts on trainer road vs zwift any different?  the only difference is that you are watching a movie or tv versus your little bike rider going 0.5kph up the hill in Zwift..

In saying that, I basically do what you do except sometimes watch Zwift screen but really I only use it for my distance.. 

The whole point of Zwift is a virtual world yeah-whats the flipping point of it if what you are watching has absolutely no correlation to what you are doing?? If I'm going up a mountain I want to feel that its hard or getting harder as it gets steeper, otherwise there is no point.

You don't always have to watch, and you can when you want. 

Has anyone supplemented bike time with spin classes?  I hadn't been doing anything for quite a while and as a consequence lost all fitness.  For the past 8 weeks I have been attending about 4 spin classes a week ranging from 30 to 40 minutes and one parkrun.  The spin classes are intense.  Definitely gets me focused for the time I'm in the class but I can't comment how this converts to riding on the road as I haven't done anyone lately although my parkrun time has improved each week without any other running.  For me it seems a really efficient way to get a solid but short workout.

<10hrs (more like 5-8) is my normal. I don't really have the time or interest in doing 10hr+ weeks.

I still periodize my training into base weeks, build, taper, etc over about 3mths lead in to OD or 70.3.

Generally, I do 1xswim (30-40mins), 2-3xruns (1xlongish), 2-3xrides (1x2hrs). There's a bit of speed and hills thrown in amongst it (particularly in build weeks) and I might add another swim in the last few weeks. I've done that through my 40's and it gets me around OD in about 2.20-25 and 70.3 in about 5.05-5.15.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CootaGC said:

Has anyone supplemented bike time with spin classes?  I hadn't been doing anything for quite a while and as a consequence lost all fitness.  For the past 8 weeks I have been attending about 4 spin classes a week ranging from 30 to 40 minutes and one parkrun.  The spin classes are intense.  Definitely gets me focused for the time I'm in the class but I can't comment how this converts to riding on the road as I haven't done anyone lately although my parkrun time has improved each week without any other running.  For me it seems a really efficient way to get a solid but short workout.

In 2011 I did back to back spin classes twice a week.  It was good for burning calories and getting a little social time in.

The one problem I noticed was when I went out on the road my uphill attacks or attempts to sprint would only last about 20 to 40 seconds. The efforts are all short sharp sets & don't transfer to real world riding very well.