Katz

Android v iPhone

I will before too long be getting a new phone. Mostly because I dropped my iPhone and for the first time in all my time of owning iPhones, I broke the bloody screen. It's not terrible, but it does give me the irrits so will end up replacing it.

I have been a long term iPhone user, but am mildly curious about the Androids as some people have said they are far superior.

Trannies, discuss.

As a devout Android user, living with devout iPhone users, they aren't far superior!  Android users just like to hate iPhones.  They both work great.  I think once you're in a particular ecosystem it's hard to change out.  Especially if you've been buying apps etc.

I do believe you can do more on an Android, and automate more stuff.  And it's clearly much more customisable and easier to make your phone work the way you want.  I have various widgets on my home screens, from calendar to Spotify, notes widget and loyalty card widget; which mean faster access.  You don't have to have a screen that's just full of app buttons only.  

But for most people, they just want a phone that works.  And both will do that.  The day I bought my first Android phone, I was actually going in to buy an iPhone.  I'm very happy I went with Android, but if I hadn't I probably wouldn't have really known the difference. 

But now days I'd be disappointed using an iPhone, and I look at the new iPads and think I could use one, but then come to my senses.  I can't fathom that if I want to put some movies on it to watch, I have to convert them into another format then sync them to the iPad using iTunes.  Ultimate media devices my ass.

The new Google Pixel 3a phones are getting good raps, and their price point is great, considering companies are taking phone prices over 1k these days. Just crazy.

I went to Samsung and regret it. It's the annoying little  things such as

You click the messages icon and half the screen is taken up by a screen saying messages 

You want to call someone, click the phone icon and then you have to chose between a message or call icon again - if I wanted to message I would have clicked the bloody message icon

Keyboard sucks

Alarm goes off and you are half seep, alarm won't go off no matter what buttons you mash-u have to hold the alarm icon and slide it across 

Etc etc it sucks

I used to be an android user, last job gave me an iphone for business and for me it just worked so much better.  Ended the job and my phone was due for replacement and they allowed me to take the iphone 7 with me which is now my personal phone.  

New job, I got an android.  I've almost gotten to the point of diverting the calls to my personal phone.

The thing that got to me with the android the most was the constant updates, and the apps that are mandatory, not able to be deleted and take up so much space and memory.  There is a bit of that with apple, but I just don't seem to notice it as much.

And if privacy is an issue, take a look at this:

More and Cottoneyes, yes it does depend on which apps and which phone you use.  It's why I now days only use Google phones, since the nexus 5.  I just like pure Android, without what other companies put over the top.  The same with things like keyboards etc, I choose my own.  But I pretty much only use googles own apps.  The iPhone stock keyboard is so far away from googles gboard is not funny.  I mean, having to press a button to get to numerals and punctuation, how 2002!  And no Swype input..... Blah!

And there in lies the problem with Android.  The fracturing across many manufacturers so the experience isn't the same from phone to phone, which you get with iPhones.  But it's also one of the good things about it, so there is more choice, and cheaper options available!

You could just download googles pixel launcher, and their apps.  Set them as default and then the experience would be close to mine. But many people wouldn't even know what I'm talking about!

I did put the google swype keyboard thing on my iphone and it's awesome. :)

A perhaps related question (given I've now looked at phone prices :crazy:) is, has anyone had their iPhone screen replaced? 

2 minutes ago, Katz said:

A perhaps related question (given I've now looked at phone prices :crazy:) is, has anyone had their iPhone screen replaced? 

I've had my daughter's replaced. What model? The price range is ridiculous.

Yeah, phone prices are just crazy these days.  We now but outright, go on a cheap phone plan.  And by buying outright we feel less inclined to be to upgrade every 2 years.  I was pretty happy to see the new mid priced Google phones are about $600.

A replacement screen from Apple is extremely expensive. A replacement phone from a kiosk at a shopping centre much cheaper.

I have an Andriod personal phone and a work iPhone. I do not have a preference.

7 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I've had my daughter's replaced. What model? The price range is ridiculous.

It's a 6s.

1 minute ago, Katz said:

It's a 6s.

$250 according to the apple website. 

$109 at screenfixed.com.au and probably less than $100 at a shopping centre kiosk

1 minute ago, pieman said:

$109 at screenfixed.com.au and probably less than $100 at a shopping centre kiosk

Are they safe though?

Well, you're talking about completely replacing the phone.  Is it worth $100 to try?  Lots do.

We've had an iPhone 5 fixed at a shopping centre place.  Battery and something else (not screen).  Wasn't a brilliant job.  

I have an iPhone but have no idea what model it is, it’s had a severely broken screen for a couple years.  It’s actually got chunks of glass missing out of it but I can’t kill it.  Don’t ask me about apps, I have zero idea 

I’ve actually swapped out a screen and battery in a 6 successfully

you can buy the screen and tools online for bugger all. 

But yes the kiosk repairs are fine we have had the kids phone screens done a few (too many) times and all have been fine.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tyno said:

For a 6s that is well out of warranty anyway, yes.

If you don't care about getting a new model, get a new old stock iPhone 6s for $447 at officeworks

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/c/technology/iphones-mobile-phones/iphones

Just keep in mind the 6 are probably only going to last the next major OS or perhaps the one after, beyond that they will not be supported.  There are some rumours the next one may be the end for anything less than a 7.  Personally I would be going the cheap screen option on a risk basis over a new 6

• Like 1

I guess that depends on what you mean by 'supported'.

There is 'Full' support and partial support, that progresses to no support.

The impact of partial support will depend on whether or not it affects apps and/or functions that are critical to you.

A 6 would appear likely to have 1-2 years before it hits partial support, a 6s perhaps 2-3 years, so getting a 6s fixed would seem to make sense.

I have a 4 that I only use for testing purposes, but it still functions and would do everything I need, if I were inclined to use fruit phones.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Katz said:

Yeah I get people’s at work replaced all the time. The cheap places in Chinatown do the for about $100.

if you have been down the iPhone rabbit hole stay with iPhone. 

You have purchased all the apps that will move to your new phone and iPad if you have one. 

If you swap to Samsung, you’ll have to purchase them all again.  

I hate Apple however the iMessage feature is 10 out of 10.  My wife also has apple devices and she can trace me anytime.  So she doesn’t need to call when I’m on rides and ask, where are you. She can just look online.  I have zero to hide and am more than happy for her to trace me.  But I also trace my mum.  My sister and I lose her all the time. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Peter said:

I hate Apple however the iMessage feature is 10 out of 10.  My wife also has apple devices and she can trace me anytime.  So she doesn’t need to call when I’m on rides and ask, where are you. She can just look online.  I have zero to hide and am more than happy for her to trace me.  But I also trace my mum.  My sister and I lose her all the time. 

A friend of mine has an iPhone and when she separated from her ex, she could not remove him from her account.  He's been using it to track her movements ever since.  She's spent hours on the phone and in-store with Apple, spoken to police etc and apparently there is nothing she can do apart from set up another account and buy all her apps again.

I have an iPhone for work but I prefer my cheapo android that I bought outright for about $200.  At one stage I lost my personal phone and only had the work phone for a week, awful.

Interesting H.

iMessage is probably the one single benefit of iPhone over Android, and only because Apple doesn't want to share it, which is there right.  It was a pain for a while because my cycling group moved to it to discuss and arrange rides etc, which left me having to txt someone all the time to find out what was going on!  Eventually when my daughter moved to a phone I was able to snag her old iPod touch and used it with iMessage to stay in touch.  But the group has now moved to Facebook Messenger for communication so I no longer feel out of touch.

long term apple user, got talked into a samsung, lasted a week and went back to iphone.  just to hard after years of autopilot.  mind you, my sister had me adjusting some settings on her new iphone the other night and i struggled without the big button on the bottom of the phone.

i know they do thumb and face recognition now and android probably has a setting i could change, but apple, type the passcode in and you in the phone.   android was type the code then hit ok ????   id type the passcode after years and the android would do nothing as I hadn't hit ok ?   It was like going to america and turning the wipers on when you drive instead of the indicators....  I'm sure it would have resolved itself but it was enough.   went back to apple.

also music, i use spotify but if your in apple music something to consider.

messaging, just use whats app and thats available on both so it avoids issues with people having either platform or not having facebook etc.  mind you people still need to have whats app.

As per Peters note changing over may be a pain depending on what you actually use and need.  I use android mainly due to the ability to get a decent phone at a decent price.  I go native android as os layers from manufacturers seem to add nothing and just add hidden complexity.  There may be a price reduction in the Peoples Republic of China brand phones soon  😎😎😎

@Oompa Loompa, Apple music isn't an issue as they have it on Android.  In fact, the apple music app on my android phone worked better than it did on my wife's iPhone 7+.  Go figure.

I've never used a passcode on my phone's (though I do use a pattern now), but I can see that hitting ok thing could be a pain, and unnecessary if you've put the code in correctly.  I love the finger print sensor in the back of my phone; by the time I've pulled it out of my pocket I've already got it unlocked and ready to go.  And Android Smart lock is great too.  As long as my phone is in a designated safe zone (home), or connected to my watch or car via Bluetooth then the pattern unlock or pass code is disabled and I just have to swipe up to open it.

2 hours ago, -H- said:

A friend of mine has an iPhone and when she separated from her ex, she could not remove him from her account.  He's been using it to track her movements ever since.  She's spent hours on the phone and in-store with Apple, spoken to police etc and apparently there is nothing she can do apart from set up another account and buy all her apps again..

That’s weird. You just remove them from here or turn the functionality off completely. 

Or just setup a new iTunes account and sign in using it. 

28130ED5-76B4-4AEA-9A73-F9F928A46A4F.jpeg

The problem was that his phone was a "trusted device" so she couldn't remove him and if she tried to change the password, it went to him.  She tried everything.

4 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

i know they do thumb and face recognition now and android probably has a setting i could change, but apple, type the passcode in and you in the phone.   android was type the code then hit ok ????   id type the passcode after years and the android would do nothing as I hadn't hit ok ?   It was like going to america and turning the wipers on when you drive instead of the indicators....  I'm sure it would have resolved itself but it was enough.   went back to apple.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

I've never used a passcode on my phone's (though I do use a pattern now), but I can see that hitting ok thing could be a pain, and unnecessary if you've put the code in correctly.  I love the finger print sensor in the back of my phone; by the time I've pulled it out of my pocket I've already got it unlocked and ready to go.  And Android Smart lock is great too.  As long as my phone is in a designated safe zone (home), or connected to my watch or car via Bluetooth then the pattern unlock or pass code is disabled and I just have to swipe up to open it.

I've used a passcode (but I've never had to hit ok, just the 4 digits and you're in), swipe pattern and thumb recognition at various times, never had an issue. 

Stupid Samsung u have to put the code in and hit OK, it's the most inefficient interface, everything is a unnecessary double action. 

• Like 1

Ah that explains it, I've never had a Samsung.  

Been using samsung for years, without much concern.. Due for another one end of the year

IOS does not support SPP profile on Bluetooth (classic, not LE)  whereas Android does. That doesn't mean shit to most people but SPP is needed to interface to some obscure things.

Iphone user for work

Android for personal.

I absolutely despise the iPhone with a passion. Not user friendly or intuitive in any way, shape or form.

The only, single reason I have persisted with a work iPhone is because it has the ability to bloothtooth directly to my hearing aids.  This means I can take calls, listen to podcasts / music etc directly into the aids. 

Android does not have the ability to do so.  Let me state though, this is not an issue with the Android phone as it obviously has bluetooth capability, but simply because the hearing aid manufacturer (Siemens) has partnered with Apple.

About to change over my personal phone from the Galaxy 8+ to the 10+

56 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Iphone user for work

Android for personal.

I absolutely despise the iPhone with a passion. Not user friendly or intuitive in any way, shape or form.

The only, single reason I have persisted with a work iPhone is because it has the ability to bloothtooth directly to my hearing aids.  This means I can take calls, listen to podcasts / music etc directly into the aids. 

Android does not have the ability to do so.  Let me state though, this is not an issue with the Android phone as it obviously has bluetooth capability, but simply because the hearing aid manufacturer (Siemens) has partnered with Apple.

About to change over my personal phone from the Galaxy 8+ to the 10+

If they weren't so expensive, you could change hearing aids. One of my team has bluetooth hearing aids connected to his HTC phone.

15 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If they weren't so expensive, you could change hearing aids. One of my team has bluetooth hearing aids connected to his HTC phone.

Yep, but they are funny things. I trialled 3 different sets before I landed on the ones I liked best.  They happen to be friends with Apple.  

Edit - you can actually pair them to an android, but it requires an additional piece of hardware / device worn around the neck to get them to talk.  Too much hassle for mine and (apparently) the clarity isn't great.

My set up will do for now.

Update: the battery crapped itself too after threatening to do so for a while now so today I took it in to a repair shop for a new screen and battery. $140 later and it's like new again. I am rather impressed. He was a lovely young bloke too.

• Like 3

I think I have an iPhone 8 I think it is, got it for $500 from someone desperate to sell a while back after I donated my old phone to the depths of the ocean.  

This phone has needed a new screen since the first day I owned it and smashed it.  $195 it cost yesterday in Karratha, the other place wanted $270

• Like 1

I've just started using my wife's or iPad air.  I've been using a 7" Google tablet for 7 years; this iPad is huge!  Still fairly fresh with it so a lot to get used to.  I don't think I could use an iPhone but an iPad is a maybe.  Not that thrilled with what's been happening with Android tablets.

But the keyboard is killing me!  I can't fathom how bad the Apple keyboard is..... I mean, having to press the numeral button to be able to enter numbers in the chrome address bar; what's with that?  I've installed Google's gboard, but I'm having an issue with it that also is happening, or more directly not happening, with the Apple keyboard.  Everything I read says they both have a one handed mode, where the keyboard can be shrunk to the left or right hand side!  But nothing I can do or find can make that happen.  And swipe typing across the whole bottom of the iPad is a pain.  Anyone got any clues?  Is an original iPad air running iOS 12.something.

I would never ever have considered an iPad except a friend explained to me how to use Plex and VLC to put media content on one without having to use iTunes and not having to convert it to a supported format first.  

On 01/06/2019 at 7:36 AM, Oompa Loompa said:

Android has setting that means that you do not have to hit OK after entering your passcode.

One thing that I really I like on my personal Android phone that is not available on my work iPhone is "smartlock". As long as my Garmin 935 is connected to my phone I do not have to unlock it. smartlock has lots of options - bluetooth connection, connected to home wifi, at a GPS location, etc

Yep, smartlock is great.

With regards to my keyboard issue on iPad, I've found out that the upcoming ipados will have a floating and resizable keyboard option and swipe typing, so welcome to the world is Android Mr Apple.

Unfortunately the iPad I've inherited isn't going to get ipados, so doesn't help me at all!  

UTorrent and Terrarium/clones are reason enough to use android. I've got an android tv box with a bunch of streaming apps and have them all on my phoneas well. We cancelled cable TV purely because there isn't a movie, song or TV show we can't access on them. IPTV for live stuff. Can't get any of the apps we use on Apple. 

21 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

UTorrent and Terrarium/clones are reason enough to use android. I've got an android tv box with a bunch of streaming apps and have them all on my phoneas well. We cancelled cable TV purely because there isn't a movie, song or TV show we can't access on them. IPTV for live stuff. Can't get any of the apps we use on Apple. 

But the Australian government has blocked all of those sites.

Surely you can't circumvent this, in less than a minute, by changing your DNS server!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1