Sign in to follow this  
Peter

How smart are berkel Currie and Burton?

Interesting looking at male spots for Kona at cairns. 

Will these 3 race each other or go for the win or blow?

personally they should race each other and just let mike Phillips (imnz) champ do what he wants. 

1 male kona spot. Phillips already has his. 

D7A6687C-6E1E-422D-8A95-871738BF8FFE.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Infinit Jase said:

Yeah what's going on there.  Is that the full list?  10 Pros racing and they pay to 10th I think.  

12 now. 

5A883D11-4202-4B08-980B-EC0A56348E43.png

Well it’s going to be a good race I think... That’s a lot talent and only two spots. 

Is it just me or does this new system really make it more interesting? Loser either needs to find another IM or give up the KQ dream for the year... 

I think its better than the ranking system. 

And I think the were quite a few who qualified at the start of the qualifer season who in the past probably weren't getting in via the points system.  

Berkeley, Currie and Burton. Sounds more like a law firm.

• Haha 1

Isn’t there 2 floating slots as well. I think there will be 3 slots for male

9 hours ago, Bosco said:

Isn’t there 2 floating slots as well. I think there will be 3 slots for male

Yeah there are.

1 - Male

1 - Female

then 2 floating spots.

Given the equal numbers for men and women, one will go to each.

Hence 2 men, 2 women

The only problem that I have with the new system is that as soon as someone drops out of the running for a slot, they DNF to save themselves for the next event. I feel like the number of pro DNFs is climbing so that they can reload and go again somewhere else quicker than normal.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Yeah there are.

1 - Male

1 - Female

then 2 floating spots.

Given the equal numbers for men and women, one will go to each.

Hence 2 men, 2 women

Trirating saying 2M + 2F + 2 floating. I’m seeing at as 3 and 3. Seems a weak field for number of slots. 

34 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Trirating saying 2M + 2F + 2 floating. I’m seeing at as 3 and 3. Seems a weak field for number of slots. 

I sorta hope you are wrong as the race will be heaps better if those 3 are chasing 2 spots.  

• Like 1

Ha. I thought that ‘regional championships’ got 5 pro slots per gender! With the other IM races getting either 1 or 2 per gender. There you go. ...

However, it does seem odd that the Asia Pacific Champs gets the same amount of pro slots as IMWA ... 

I’ll repeat what IMO I think ‘the system’ should be:

1. postpone Kona world champs by 1 month and make it a genuine end of year finale.

2. Pay down to 20th finisher (to encourage those pros on the verge of top 10 to turn up, instead of aiming for some pocketmoney at a third rate race elsewhere). $1 million minimum prize purse.

3. Top 10 finishers in Kona also win their spot for next year.

4. Top 5 finishers at regional champs qualify for Kona (6 regional champs; therefore another 30 slots).

5. Last 10 slots are picked by the old KPR system - so those athletes on the cusp will still race at 2nd tier races like Port, Busso, NZ etc.

6. Also use the points system to create a bonus prize pool to be paid out after Kona.

23 hours ago, Bosco said:

It’s a Regional Championship with a largish prize purse: there also seems to be a dozen or so confirmed pros for both M & F divisions. Anything less than 3 + 3 would be ridiculous. 

This looks a vastly different field to South Africa. I thought Currie and Berkel to sort it out in last 4km run as they ‘smash’ a 2.55 marathon for slots - did we find out if Berkel coming? Sarah T will finish top 6 overall. 

1 hour ago, Oompa Loompa said:

anyone got a link to the prizemoney list for races, just curious to see what you can earn doing halfs v fulls

http://asia.ironman.com/triathlon/organizations/pro-membership/pro-events.aspx#axzz5pYRvi6L0

Scroll down the page a bit to find the total prize purse. Right at the bottom of the page is how the prize purse is distributed.

8 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

http://asia.ironman.com/triathlon/organizations/pro-membership/pro-events.aspx#axzz5pYRvi6L0

Scroll down the page a bit to find the total prize purse. Right at the bottom of the page is how the prize purse is distributed.

still a fair bit of coin about, think id be avoiding the fulls unless i was likely to win