Toolish

Time management

4 minutes ago, dazaau said:

What's an Inset Day? ;)

probably the same as our teacher only or teacher training days.... effing joke

1 minute ago, dazaau said:

What's an Inset Day? ;)

It's a day that the teachers have off for training and it's usually the 'first' day of term. So poor old parents have had to arrange some kind of cover for all of the school holidays, then get slapped in the face with having to arrange an extra day.  

In all my roles I've had to do extra training in my own time, quite why the teachers here can't do that, or take one day out of their holidays each term, I don't quite know. The rest of the teaching world seem to manage it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pieman said:

exactly, you have them as well?

Edited by FatPom

My daughter's school has one tomorrow, the Tuesday after a Monday public holiday.  But yeah, it's about staff development...

1 minute ago, FatPom said:

It's a day that the teachers have off for training and it's usually the 'first' day of term. So poor old parents have had to arrange some kind of cover for all of the school holidays, then get slapped in the face with having to arrange an extra day.  

In all my roles I've had to do extra training in my own time, quite why the teachers here can't do that, or take one day out of their holidays each term, I don't quite know. The rest of the teaching world seem to manage it.

Because it's a type of training that they are forced to attend - they don't choose to study "it".  If your workplace forced you to attend training, it would be during work hours.  If you decided to go and learn something yourself, then yes, it's on your time...

We have one of those here tomorrow. The day after a long weekend. A shocking coincidence?

2 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Because it's a type of training that they are forced to attend - they don't choose to study "it".  If your workplace forced you to attend training, it would be during work hours.  If you decided to go and learn something yourself, then yes, it's on your time...

Boo friggin hoo and no, I don't 'choose' to study a lot of the training I have to attend and prepare for, it's mandatory and most of it is done in my time.  That's on top of the same 'forced' training we have to do in work time.

I live next door to a retired head teacher, she says she's never heard of anything so stupid.  All their training was done in their time.  I'd never heard of this either, it wasn't a thing when I when to school in Eng.

Edited by FatPom

20 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

disturbingly not so in many places. My wife is a nurse and is required to do training, on the weekends, unpaid - and is expected to pay for the training too! (This blows my mind)

It is conceivable that teachers could do their PD during the school holidays. Mind you my sister is a teacher and teaching is very tiring work. I love educating but I have no interest in doing it as a day job, every day. 

27 minutes ago, Stikman said:

My daughter's school has one tomorrow, the Tuesday after a Monday public holiday.  But yeah, it's about staff development...

I live near a couple of schools. Everytime there is a planning day it must be off site because the carpark is almost empty.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Over here you get fined for taking your kids out of school during term time but it's seems perfectly fine for teachers to do it!  Don't even get me started on fcuking 'Inset Days':wallbash:

Fined?  For real?  Private schools? Or Public?

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

I live near a couple of schools. Everytime there is a planning day it must be off site because the carpark is almost empty.

Same and there is one over the road from me.

7 hours ago, Peter said:

You might be taking the piss but some teachers are like that. I live across the road from a primary school

Some teachers arrive at 7am and cars are still there at 5:30pm.

Others are getting out of their cars as the bell is ringing and gone on the dot of 3:30.

But you can't cover up the 12-13 weeks holidays a year. Mind you, I wouldnt want to be a teacher.

7 to 5:30 is not exactly gruelling hours for many professions.

Even more so if you discount it to recognise a 40, rather than 48, week year.

No wonder a friend of mine commented that some of the best triathletes he knew were teachers 🤔

There is no way I could be a teacher. I last about 20 min coaching the kids at soccer before getting cranky. And that trying to do something they all like doing. And only 10 of them 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Peter said:

You might be taking the piss but some teachers are like that. I live across the road from a primary school

Some teachers arrive at 7am and cars are still there at 5:30pm.

Others are getting out of their cars as the bell is ringing and gone on the dot of 3:30.

But you can't cover up the 12-13 weeks holidays a year. Mind you, I wouldnt want to be a teacher.

And some of those teachers who are out the door on the dot of 3:30 are quite possibly running out to the door to go and collect their own children at a differen school.  Then when they get home, sit down and do a few hours of work at home - correcting and setting work for the next day.  Just cause the work isn't done at the school premises doesn't mean its not being done.

Yep, the holidays are a perk - not sure it makes up for dealing with what they have to deal with though!

5 minutes ago, trilobite said:

7 to 5:30 is not exactly gruelling hours for many professions.

Even more so if you discount it to recognise a 40, rather than 48, week year.

No wonder a friend of mine commented that some of the best triathletes he knew were teachers 🤔

I would consider 7 to 5:30 long hours.  I'm pretty lucky, 40 hour week most weeks and any enforced learning is mostly on work time.  Any additional learning is on my time of course...

We have "curriculum days" which are usually the first day after school holidays finish or after a long weekend.  They annoy me even though I don't have kids, because the people in the office who do have kids all have to take the day off to look after their kids.  School holiday programs don't cover curriculum days so it falls to the parents, and their colleagues.

52 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

And some of those teachers who are out the door on the dot of 3:30 are quite possibly running out to the door to go and collect their own children at a differen school.  Then when they get home, sit down and do a few hours of work at home - correcting and setting work for the next day.  Just cause the work isn't done at the school premises doesn't mean its not being done.

Yep, the holidays are a perk - not sure it makes up for dealing with what they have to deal with though!

I would consider 7 to 5:30 long hours.  I'm pretty lucky, 40 hour week most weeks and any enforced learning is mostly on work time.  Any additional learning is on my time of course...

Arguably you could discount ~10 hour days back to ~8 hour days, to reflect 40 rather than 48 weeks at work for the year.

Length of the work day is all relative to what you are accustomed to. Head to Eagle St, Collins Street or a find some registrars in a training hospital if you want to mix in a crowd that thinks a 50 hour week is light on.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Fined?  For real?  Private schools? Or Public?

Same and there is one over the road from me.

Public.  It varies from LEA to LEA but roughly it's £180 per kid per week and repeat offenders can get taken to court.

9 hours ago, Peter said:

Thats some seriously impressive quoting Cranky.

Thank you. It took me nearly my whole 90 minute bike session!

9 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I know. I want to reply but it too hard off a phone.  

All done on the phone :)

6 hours ago, Bored@work said:

The funny think is she mentioned getting it done & then mentioned 2.5 to 3 years of Ironman training was enough for her

I'm still training close to the same number of hours. Still requires good planning. 

3 hours ago, pieman said:

We're don't get them, except the 3 days before school goes back away the start if the year (in the holidays). Kids don't miss any days for us. Some schools get time in lieu for report cards and night time parent teacher interviews. Not us.  If they send us on PD, a supply teacher comes in. 

I know I've got it good and I appreciate the hours. But it is hard work ... but I love it, and the kids. And the ones that you don't, can't ever know that. I love being a positive role model and influence, and at the risk of tooting my own horn, I have a lot of kids that look up to me and a lot of parents that appreciate the care and effort I put in. I want to be that primary  school teacher that they remember fondly when they are 60 years old. 

Now, stop reading and go train!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Public.  It varies from LEA to LEA but roughly it's £180 per kid per week and repeat offenders can get taken to court.

Pffft my kids would get an unfortunate case of gastro then if I wanted to take them out for a holiday 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Id go to court.  

Want them out of school for 3 weeks.  

Call the school and say your kid has hooping cough.  

21days off. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Now, stop reading and go train!

I'd love to but I had to take a days leave to look after Little One due to an inset day.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

I'd love to but I had to take a days leave to look after Little One due to an inset day.

you just don't want it enough.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, FatPom said:

Over here you get fined for taking your kids out of school during term time but it's seems perfectly fine for teachers to do it!  Don't even get me started on fcuking 'Inset Days':wallbash:

I am taking my kids out for the first week of school term. The ski slopes are less crowded :)

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 4:34 PM, Peter said:

Oh please. 

4.30pm  feels like 3.7c  

A8EFD7A3-C51A-4781-BF79-0F97903A51BD.jpeg

snowing in Queensland this morning

10 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I am taking my kids out for the first week of school term. The ski slopes are less crowded :)

Hyphen has been doing this for the past decade. Says the same thing. Best time to go.

1 hour ago, CootaGC said:

snowing in Queensland this morning

Brisbane CBD?

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Brisbane CBD?

Stanthorpe. We get a little most years, but I can't remember it this early.

Early morning snow fall at Pyramids Road near Girraween National Park, 4 June 2019.

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Brisbane CBD?

Mt Coot-tha Ski Fields opening today I think.

There's actually a very funny facebook 'event' promoting the opening of the ski fields on Mt Coot-tha. 

16 hours ago, FatPom said:

You gotta think outside the box to get your training in...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

We had snow near Yarraman in 1987, never heard of it falling any further north than that.

Bloody global warming...

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Early morning snow fall at Pyramids Road near Girraween National Park, 4 June 2019.

My son just got home & told me his school sent a bus load of kids on camp to Girrawean this morning. Anyone who knows the area would think this could be considered child abuse.

19 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Yeeha flying o/s as school goes back next year. First time since 2005 outside school holidays.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

Yeeha flying o/s as school goes back next year. First time since 2005 outside school holidays.

We do a few days either side of school holidays every year. We aim to miss a week of school due to holidays every year. 

Some kids miss more per year due to sickness. We are lucky Emily is fit,healthy & not a sook. So she toughs it out battles on when she’s not feeling 100%

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

We are lucky Emily is fit,healthy & not a sook. So she toughs it out battles on when she’s not feeling 100%

Is that because she is a vegan CrossFit parkrun virgin gym member that’s thinking about doing the ironkids race in the near future?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

Is that because she is a vegan CrossFit parkrun virgin gym member that’s thinking about doing the ironkids race in the near future?

Na #instagram influencer 

• Haha 1

The best part about our kids going to a Catholic primary school (we aren't religious) was what we referred to as "Catholic Week". They finished a week before everyone else in December, so we could go away before the crowds, and at reduced prices.

• Like 1