Toolish

Time management

“You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist” - 

(apparently attributed to Indira Gandhi, Mahatma Ghandi, Golda Meir, even Anonymous 🙄)

Lift your game Trannies.

(cue flaming in my direction 🥴)

344ABDBD-F8B9-47AF-8BCC-1F34E65B70A2.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, iFoz said:

“You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist” - 

Fist bumping is the done thing now anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, trilobite said:

To be absolutely clear, the key bit in pieman’s post was how what superficially looks like a 7-8 hour sleep window becomes much less, due to dealing with multiple little people getting him up during the night. Then, notwithstanding he “wanted it enough” to get out the door on ~3 to 4 hours sleep, one of his little ones woke up despite his best ninja impersonation (ie running contrary to the “I can be gone from 4am to 7am and no one notices” line).

What do the wake up early because you want it pundits suggest pieman should do (assuming the answer isn’t for him to treat sorting out his little people as his spouse’s job)?

The responses from the get it done early / no excuses crowd on how to deal with little guys waking up multiple times during the night (not an unusual situation) are conspicuously absent...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, trilobite said:

The responses from the get it done early / no excuses crowd on how to deal with little guys waking up multiple times during the night (not an unusual situation) are conspicuously absent...

That’s what your spouse is for

• Haha 1

Just now, BarryBevan said:

That’s what your spouse is for

Strangely no one has said “you just sleep in another room and get your spouse to sort out your little one(s)” 🤔

• Like 1

Triathlon's not important. Manage your time to do important things. If you can fit a few swims, bikes and runs in-between then great - but don't be an all obsessed knob.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trilobite said:

If I am up more than once during the night I delay my alarm and shorten my session.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The new guy said:

If I am up more than once during the night I delay my alarm and shorten my session.

Hope this helps.

Having 3 little guys (oldest is 9), I am more than a little familiar with the situation pieman described.

Subject to how well your kid(s) sleep, broken sleep may in fact be the norm, rather than the exception.  In which case (if I read what you said properly) you would more often than not have no (or at best a significantly compromised) training session.

So does “having no excuses” mean leaving your spouse to sort out your little people (or hire a live in nanny?).

It really depends on the night. My kids are now 2 and 5, and are both good sleepers, that wasn’t the case for Port last year, and the reality was for that build I was averaging 5-6 hours a night sleep total, with a couple of get ups during the night. Even the times I wouldn’t get up myself I woke up. Never had a nanny, and I would say its exceptionally close to 50/50 as to who gets up during the night. Every parent goes through these stages, and I would say everyone has found their own way to cope.

Was it ideal, not even close. But it was reality.

But let’s say I had a job that involved longer than normal hours and a commute. Or shift work. Those families have all the same challenges of broken sleep, early mornings, long days. 

I had a period leading up to Husky where I was working 75+ hours a week. So training basically stopped so any spare time was with the family. Both of our kids have gone through sleep depression periods. So training levels drop. That’s the reality. 

But anyone (not a personal dig) who says that if you get up early to fit your sessions in around life makes you an absent parent, is full of crap.

There are ways, if you time mange, prioritise and are flexible. For instance during the last IM build, my wife does Pilates on Wednesday’s - so I do dinner with the kids, read books, put them to bed on time. My wife isn’t home so I can have a 20k treadmill run in the garage without loosing any family time. Thursday’s I helped out with my sons little athletics, so at worst I did a 1 hour turbo set late that night while my wife caught up on paper work. Saturday’s were zero training, so took the kids to swimming lessons, and my son and I ran the local 2k cross county series in the afternoon together. Always have a family lunch or dinner somewhere. Sunday was long ride day, so I would always plan to be home by lunch so we could attend any family functions that day.

Most of my training is when the family is asleep, especially the kids. I know people who loose more actual family time because of golf, or because they watch multiple games of footy during the week.

Its hard, but the heaviest training is usually only 3 months, so while it is tough, it’s also short term.

• Like 2

My whole philosophy on training for triathlons was it was priority number 3 as in “Triathlon does not pay the bills”. But I still fit it in because I love it.

Priorities in order:

1. Work

2. Family/kids

3. Triathlon.

I made triathlon fit in. And anyone who says family comes before work probably doesn’t have a job. Family and Triathlon don’t pay the bills.

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Family and Triathlon don’t pay the bills.

True, but no use making all that money if you just spend it all on alimony and child support... very few people in that situation that are genuinely happy.  I'm sure there are plenty of happy coaches and RDs glad to have them throw themselves into sport to fill the gap though

Mine is family, work, community and then my own pursuits.  Triathlon, and sport in general, is just one facet of them

But each to their own, life would be boring if we were all the same

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

True, but no use making all that money if you just spend it all on alimony and child support...

But each to their own, life would be boring if we were all the same

That first point is huge. I know two of my mates from army basically work to make their ex's life comfy.

Life isn't money and as a kid that grew up in housing commission with very little (mum quit her job and chose to stay home), I'm glad my folks were around a lot of the time, friends of mine barely saw their parents a lot of the time but had loads of crap. 

But the disclaimer, I'm never having kids and unless I get the snip reversed won't be able to. I'm waaaayyy to self absorbed to consider it (I enjoy doing whatever I want, when I want). My career path doesn't exactly cater to stability either. 

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 12:25 PM, Toolish said:

I have been out of tri's for a couple of years and while my wife is very supportive and knows it makes me a better person, I am struggling with the time management of it all...

Anyone else have a similar life circumstance, and if so how do you fit training in.

My wife & I had 4 kids in 6 Years.

In 1994, when my kids were still really young, my wife suggested that I was being too obsessive (about the kids) and that I should actually take up some form of training as a distraction.  My training routine was very simple...  I just did whatever I could, whenever I could.  There was absolutely no point in getting a coach because I never knew what time I'd have to train anyway.  Plus, apart from preferring to spend the money on the family, coaching myself was all just part of the fun.

At the time I was young and reasonably fit from spending most days on the tools working as a plumber, and from owner-building our own home.  Almost all sessions were done in the early hours of the mornings, and then in the afternoons I coached several of the kids sporting teams.  Life was busy, but good.  I never had adequate sleep, but I had enough to get me through.  My results could probably best be described as average, but considering the training that I was doing I thought that was pretty good.  I didn't take the sport too serious, but I did use it as a great excuse to travel to places that we wouldn't usually go.  I do wish that I'd done more stuff with the kids when they were young, but I don't think my triathlon activities had any bearing on this either way, as we would have probably just gone to less places.

I did my first Ironman in April 1995, and announced my retirement from the sport (for the first time) immediately after.  My wife talked me into continuing with some training and doing local low key events just for the fun of it.  I then pulled the pin, and returned to training many times over the next 16 years until all my kids had left home and were undertaking either full time study or work.  We've never had much money, but life has been good.

For the past 10 years I've had the freedom to do what I want training wise, but I really haven't stepped up my training all that much.  I still do whatever I can, whenever I can and I still never follow a set training program.  The training I do is usually specific for the events that I've got coming up, but I never forsake sleep in order to get a training session done.  I'm usually a terrible sleeper and there is no doubt that the lack of sleep has impacted my health over the years.  Life is still busy, and life is still really good... and luckily for me my kids (and grandkids) still talk to me.

Just do whatever you can, whenever you can and appreciate what you have - everything else is a bonus.

Good luck!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Go Easy said:

My wife & I had 4 kids in 6 Years.

In 1994, when my kids were still really young, my wife suggested that I was being too obsessive (about the kids) and that I should actually take up some form of training as a distraction.  My training routine was very simple...  I just did whatever I could, whenever I could.  There was absolutely no point in getting a coach because I never knew what time I'd have to train anyway.  Plus, apart from preferring to spend the money on the family, coaching myself was all just part of the fun.

At the time I was young and reasonably fit from spending most days on the tools working as a plumber, and from owner-building our own home.  Almost all sessions were done in the early hours of the mornings, and then in the afternoons I coached several of the kids sporting teams.  Life was busy, but good.  I never had adequate sleep, but I had enough to get me through.  My results could probably best be described as average, but considering the training that I was doing I thought that was pretty good.  I didn't take the sport too serious, but I did use it as a great excuse to travel to places that we wouldn't usually go.  I do wish that I'd done more stuff with the kids when they were young, but I don't think my triathlon activities had any bearing on this either way, as we would have probably just gone to less places.

I did my first Ironman in April 1995, and announced my retirement from the sport (for the first time) immediately after.  My wife talked me into continuing with some training and doing local low key events just for the fun of it.  I then pulled the pin, and returned to training many times over the next 16 years until all my kids had left home and were undertaking either full time study or work.  We've never had much money, but life has been good.

For the past 10 years I've had the freedom to do what I want training wise, but I really haven't stepped up my training all that much.  I still do whatever I can, whenever I can and I still never follow a set training program.  The training I do is usually specific for the events that I've got coming up, but I never forsake sleep in order to get a training session done.  I'm usually a terrible sleeper and there is no doubt that the lack of sleep has impacted my health over the years.  Life is still busy, and life is still really good... and luckily for me my kids (and grandkids) still talk to me.

Just do whatever you can, whenever you can and appreciate what you have - everything else is a bonus.

Good luck!

Posted 4hrs ago???? Shit u are an early riser. 

I got on Zwift at 5:50 & thought I was a hardcore mofo

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Man that is hard core - did you leave the heater off so you really simulated extreme conditions 😏

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone for the responses, I have read them all and there are some good points.

I have taken some things on board and will have a chat to the wife tonight about her thoughts on how to fit it in a bit more with a few ideas.  

On 29/05/2019 at 12:43 PM, Cranky said:

Sorry to sound selfish, but can the kids play their own board game 3 nights a week, so you can train earlier? You train 7-8, but the time you get to them they are in bed and sleepy but not asleep. Read to them for 5 mins each and you're done.  Make up the family time on the weekend. ??

I have been considering this for a while, but it is really our designated family time.  I would actually be better off skipping the meal time together if I am going to get an afternoon session in as generally that ends up being 30 minutes of waiting for kids to finish the meals as they are both slow eaters.  A couple of times a week that may be doable.

On 29/05/2019 at 1:00 PM, wombattri said:

Also - depends on what you’re aiming to do. If its IM or 70.3 its going to be difficult based on what you’ve described particularly if you don’t have lunch times as an option. For me, I swim on my own during lunch times and also use it for double run days or gym sessions. It’s the only way I get them done. May not possible for you, but I actually block my calendar as “meetings” for midday training during the week - just helps. 

Only other thing I can offer is almost all my riding is indoors, and I get up at some ridiculous hours to limit impact on family. 

Maybe just concentrate on the disciplines that aren’t as strong? Again, just depends on what you’re trying to achieve. If you can only dedicate 5 hours/week then consistently hitting that can’t hurt you.

Goal is 70.3, it is the distance I enjoy most.  Lunch time workouts aren't an option as I only get 30 minutes at most!  Most of my riding is indoors due to safety concerns of the wife and myself so at least I have ticked that box!  Thanks god for Zwift!

On 29/05/2019 at 1:46 PM, ironpo said:

Ditch the evening session and train in the morning 

far far more time efficient, if you want to train , sometimes something has to give 

best st thing I ever did is get rid of the PM sessions , some coach’s Ive worked with hAvnt been overly happy when we start working together when I tell them I refuse to do any PM sessions but once they see how much I can cram into a (training) week then they get over it very very quickly 

great your not digging into family time , so you just have to except that u won’t get your 8 hrs sleep on some nights 

I’m out the door at 6-30 am most days and work 12hr plus days (when daylight allows ) so home 7-7-30 pm  and still get a minimum of 2 hrs done on a week day morning some morns 3hr 

latest im in bed is 9pm , but some mornings are a 2-30 am start , mostly 3-30am though 

4am starts on a weekend is a great sleep in , beside the Tuesday when I get up at 5-20am as that’s my day off training 

Also indoor trainer is your friend , get to know him/her 

No way I can be in bed at 9pm consistently, kids are still awake at that time some nights, if I went to bed then every night then I would literally have no time with my wife without the kids.  That said, have you always been an early riser, if not how have you adapted to it, any tips.  I think the morning plan has some merit but I have to get into the habit!

On 29/05/2019 at 3:02 PM, AP said:

This is clearly the answer but he doesn't want this answer - he wants you to sympathise with him 

I rarely set evening sessions for athletes - maybe a bit of core work or stretching - I would set morning only sessions 95% of the time - it allows as "normal a family life as possible" in the evenings

If you want the prize you will get up early - like they say about the early bird 😏 

So 5 weekday sessions then double sessions sat and sun makes 9, but I am sure you have said you always schedule a weekly rest day.  Without giving away the secrets I would love to know a weekly structure that is one session per day, includes a rest day, and gets people to Kona.  Re-reading that it sounds like I am being a smart arse, trying not to be, just trying to get my head around it.

On 29/05/2019 at 3:12 PM, ScubaSteve said:

You don't say how much training you want to get done or what event you're looking for, but here goes:
Can your commute become a training session?  Either a run or bike?  You might not lose much time if you currently catch a train/drive.

You've got at least 30mins from 6:30 to 7, unless you help with baths/showers.  There's a short fast run waiting to happen.

Only other choices are getting up earlier, cram some on the weekends or an evening session and just accept lack of sleep.
Always plan ahead one day and already have clothes/timeslots allocated and ready to go to avoid wasted time.   Perhaps that's the 'evening' work.

I do help with baths and showers, but there is probably a half hour window in there on days where there are no after school activities.  Just need to be ready to go as stated.  I have been thinking through the commute thing.  I drive currently but I only like 7.5km from work so could ride in easy enough then run home a couple of times a week.  Would still be home by 5:30 assuming I finish work on time.

On 29/05/2019 at 3:46 PM, dazaau said:

If you are in bed by 9 then I guess it makes more sense. I still cling to my eight hours as a minimum lol.

But I imagine that for many once the kids are in bed then its couple time! 

Broken sleep is like no sleep at all :(

Yep, couples time seems very limited in some of these descriptions.  Especially if the wife is not running or riding with you.

On 29/05/2019 at 5:37 PM, dazaau said:

5 hrs training within the weekdays is actually a lot if you find a way to get it done. weekend warrior is a real thing.

If you get up early on the weekends you could get in a long ride as a long run. Even on just 3 weekday activities it's not a bad base. 

While I resent the idea that you can't do it all, you can't :( 

I tried this for a while and found the weekend sessions a real battle.  I reckon for maintaining that might work, but not building.

On 29/05/2019 at 11:09 PM, IronmanFoz said:

Now...... two things pretty obvious. Toolish needs to define quality time with wife and kids. Everyone’s definition is different of course....... but is what your doing really quality time. The other is..... 8 hours sleep. This is the reason why people take so long to get to sleep. They already have too much. 8 hours...... that for kids.

You are possibly right about the quality time.  I think I am still adapting out of the age when they were fully dependent.  They are both fairly self sufficient but I still feel the need to be around just in case.  Just mentally adjusting to the fact I am not required on a minute to minute basis.

12 hours ago, dazaau said:

@Toolish is a master troll. Didn't even need a second post to keep it going :lol:

Go ME!!!  Here is the second post!

6 minutes ago, Toolish said:

So 5 weekday sessions then double sessions sat and sun makes 9, but I am sure you have said you always schedule a weekly rest day.  Without giving away the secrets I would love to know a weekly structure that is one session per day, includes a rest day, and gets people to Kona.  Re-reading that it sounds like I am being a smart arse, trying not to be, just trying to get my head around it.

Most of our morning sessions are double sessions - swim-run -- bike-swim-run - bike-run - one of the biggest mistakes self coached athletes make is to believe that you need enormous total hours to be successful - what you need most is consistency and TO MAKE EVERY SESSION "PRACTICE" - practising  perfect technique in every workout in every sport is far more important than greater volume of practising poor technique - if you only practice perfect technique - that's all your body knows --- so fewer hours of perfect = better race times 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Toolish said:

I have been thinking through the commute thing.  I drive currently but I only like 7.5km from work so could ride in easy enough then run home a couple of times a week

The bonus being you would get a hill workout in that commute. 

You work on the other side of the river right? Woohoo bridge time! 🙄🤣🤟

26 minutes ago, Turts said:

The bonus being you would get a hill workout in that commute. 

You work on the other side of the river right? Woohoo bridge time! 🙄🤣🤟

Nah, working elsewhere now.  Out Merbien way so my other thought was go a bit of a longer way home and run or ride a bit along the river if I can get time sorted.  Love running and MTB beside the river.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Toolish said:

Nah, working elsewhere now.  Out Merbien way so my other thought was go a bit of a longer way home and run or ride a bit along the river if I can get time sorted.  Love running and MTB beside the river.

Even better!!!  Pump Hill!  Mt Everest!

The connection along the river to Merbein is very good - I often ride out that way, past and through the common, and keep going. 

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Posted 4hrs ago???? Shit u are an early riser...

Nope, like I said in the post, I'm a crap sleeper!

Last night my wife & I went out to dinner with my Son, Grandson & Daughter In Law for her Birthday.  Quality & important family time.  We then went back to my Son's place to discuss some future plans and for me to have a bit of Father/Son time discussing important stuff in case my health recovery doesn't quite go according to plan.  Interestingly enough it included some discussion about the 'Do What You Can't' video...  He's fairly conservative with his outlook on life and sometimes I think he just needs a bit more of the 'go for it' type attitude.  For me it was an important discussion to have so we had it, but it did make for a late night.

I then got home, and didn't have a hope of getting to sleep, as yesterday I'd gotten a bit to worked up over a post on here and (believe it or not) I don't naturally deal with conflict well... especially if I've said something that may be hurtful to others.  I'll still say it if I think it needs to be said, but it doesn't sit well with me.  I'd much rather do it face to face - bloody social media!!

Interestingly enough, apart from boring the world about my triathlon history while trying to say to do what's important to you, I didn't really provide much in the way of advice to Toolish in regard to Time Management...   So here goes!

1 hour ago, Toolish said:

Thanks everyone for the responses, I have read them all and there are some good points...

That's exactly what you should be doing.  Listen to all the advice, and take on board the bits that work for you & your family.

2 hours ago, Toolish said:

I have taken some things on board and will have a chat to the wife tonight about her thoughts on how to fit it in a bit more with a few ideas...

Perfect...  Keep discussing it with your partner, and where necessary your kids, and be honest about your own wants and needs.

2 hours ago, Toolish said:

Without giving away the secrets I would love to know a weekly structure that is one session per day, includes a rest day, and gets people to Kona.  Re-reading that it sounds like I am being a smart arse, trying not to be, just trying to get my head around it.

You're not being a smart arse, you're being honest and that's important.  The 'do whatever you can whenever you can' advice definitely worked for me, but you need to be flexible and very self directed.  Check out 'Maslow's Theory'... it's basic but it's relevant.  Sure there's plenty of critics of the theory, but it works for me and obviously lots of others.

Don't schedule rest days, just take them when you need them.  If your life is as busy as you suggest it is you'll get plenty of them so it shouldn't be a problem.  But make sure you do rest and recover when you need to as that is when your body gets stronger, plus you'll probably be a nicer person to be around and that is very important to your wife, kids & friends - hence this whole discussion.

Consider combining family time with your training when you can...  My kids loved riding their bikes beside me when I was running and I'd challenge them with how far we could go and how many hills we'd do.  If the hills got too steep then it would become a strength session as I'd push them up the hill.  The open air velodrome, apart from being great for our combined ride & run sessions, was also perfect for kicking a footy around or giving the remote control car a workout.  I've towed kids across a lake in a canoe while getting in a swim session, I've run home from nights out, I've run up and down stairs in a motel room, I've done lots of stupid stuff.  Not much of it was planned, I've just done whatever it takes.  Look at your options and think outside the square... think about what you'd have loved to have been doing with your dad when you were a kid and do a version of that.

I always reckoned that there was no such thing as 'junk miles', there was only training sessions that I could have done better.  I virtually never considered that I'd done 'enough' training (I never had enough time) so anything that I did get done was better than nothing.

Showering & stretching.  Fair bet you're going to need a shower after most of your training sessions...  be smart and do your training immediately before you're likely to need a shower anyway.  I usually enjoy 2 showers a day - one before work & one before bed.  A short sharp workout just before a shower is a great use of time and once I turn off the shower taps I'd do some very quick basic stretching while I drip dried to return my muscles to their previous length.  This also meant that my towel never got as wet and was always much nicer to use.

You possibly don't need to do the K's you'd think you do to get to Kona.  Consistency is key, but sometimes it's not possible, just do what you can when you can.  If you get there then great, if you don't then so be it, just be happy that you're doing what you can.  The following link is the report I wrote after Kona.  It includes my weekly training mileage in the months leading up to the event, it may be of some help.  Keep in mind that I've never had a set training program, I just did what I could when I could.

Once again, Good Luck!

As I just commented to my old mate Stickman, 'the absolute best thing I love about this site is the irony... we all complain on here about not having enough time, yet we all spend hours reading and posting our complaints about not having enough time!'

At least I've got an excuse, I'm currently off work and am resting 'on Doctor's orders'.

But back to work again next week so I'll probably disappear again.

14 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

As I just commented to my old mate Stickman, 'the absolute best thing I love about this site is the irony... we all complain on here about not having enough time, yet we all spend hours reading and posting our complaints about not having enough time!'

At least I've got an excuse, I'm currently off work and am resting 'on Doctor's orders'.

I'm sitting in a lab watching other people work. It's a tough gig. Or I often post in meetings, that  I have to attend but only need to be there for 15min out of the hour. But the customer is paying my wage and they want me there to back them up if needed.

28 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

Yeah no.  Im at a desk.  If i could be outside riding for 3 hrs in daylight id prefer to be. 

8 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Posted 4hrs ago???? Shit u are an early riser. 

No bacon rolls

• Confused 1

Parenting little people - then bigger people - my alarm was set for 3AM as the princess had a 3:30 shift at Macca's (learner hours done, lisence test pending) Home again at 3:45 then slept a bit till spouse had to go to shops at 9 (ie much domestic noise from 7) 

PS: (I got to bed at 12:30 am after submitting a uni assignment at 11:59) .

Rinse and repeat (next assig due next fri), yes still working full time, no not training ATM (pool pass expired, bike broken, ligament tear in ankle). I've decided to manage my time in small blocks I call years. This year is a non training bolck. Noosa is going to look ugly.

On 30/05/2019 at 12:21 PM, AP said:

No photo description available.

Gifts are common (but different, it helps if you work out what  yours are early (and like them)),

talent less common as:  Talent = gift * dedication

Edited by trifun

On 31/05/2019 at 2:17 PM, BarryBevan said:

No bacon rolls

On 31/05/2019 at 7:53 AM, AP said:

Man that is hard core - did you leave the heater off so you really simulated extreme conditions 😏

No I turned the heater on full blast. I’m training for Kona 

On 31/05/2019 at 9:51 AM, AP said:

Most of our morning sessions are double sessions - swim-run -- bike-swim-run - bike-run - one of the biggest mistakes self coached athletes make is to believe that you need enormous total hours to be successful - what you need most is consistency and TO MAKE EVERY SESSION "PRACTICE" - practising  perfect technique in every workout in every sport is far more important than greater volume of practising poor technique - if you only practice perfect technique - that's all your body knows --- so fewer hours of perfect = better race times 

https://www.outsideonline.com/2397214/foot-strike-running-study?fbclid=IwAR26GNWbXdLo05c3br1X3iZoGGMSXwkt8LBtmUNRlPhzCWvdy40U6izpFCc

Did Patricia qualify for Kona?

I like how AP gets his advice from a fantasy writer. 

Ironic? 

• Haha 1

On 31/05/2019 at 9:51 AM, AP said:

one of the biggest mistakes self coached athletes make is to believe that you need enormous total hours to be successful - 

Or.........- not how far but how often!

Digressing here a bit but work before family, surely not, fozzy bare.

Went for an interview as a young bloke and the dude told me his theory was that family came a close second to work. Knew then I didn’t want the job despite him chasing me hard.

Also told myself that anybody that worked for me in the future would know that their family is first and work is second.

Many moons and employees later, that idiom still remains true and reckon I have had better staff as a result.

my only tips for the OP, and repeating much of the same above, train while they sleep and incorporate family into training where possible.

• Like 2

Like I said before. Family and triathlon don’t pay the bills. Remember money provides a certain lifestyle for family. And like with everything.... there is a balance.

Note: Lyrics from Silverchairs song ‘Tomorrow ‘

You say that money isn't everything  
But I'd like to see you live without it,

In relation to doing a session at night or early morning when kids etc are in bed, or doing homework etc etc......it’s not every night or everyday and not 52 weeks a year. As with everything it’s part of a build phase so, it’s not that often, so every week is different.

Edited by IronmanFoz

On 29/05/2019 at 3:42 PM, pieman said:

In saying this, I decided last night that 'I really do want it enough"  so set my alarm for 4am to do a workout and be back on deck by 5.30 when our youngest (3) usually wakes up. I was asleep at 9.15pm

• 12:19 -The youngest starts screaming hysterically. She's cold, and can’t manage to get under her blanket by herself. I tuck her in under her doona while explaining that if she really  wants to go to Hawaiian holiday anytime soon then she will need to go back to sleep, and stay that way until after 6am. She selfishly says that she can’t sleep without me lying beside her so I lay down for a few minutes until she’s asleep.
  • 12:20-01:45 - Balance precariously on a 5 inch sliver of bed with child draped half over me dozing sporadically. Attempt multiple exits but the slightest movement wakes her and the dance begins again in earnest.
  • 02:00 – Finally back in my own bed and drift back to sleep.
  • 03:15 – The oldest (5) wakes me up by tugging my arm. She’s crying as has had a nightmare and is now scared of the monsters in her closet. I take her to her bed and put her back in, change the colour of her nightlight, shine a torch in her closet to show her there are no monsters but she is still crying. I lay beside her and she begins to settle down.
  • 03:20-05:00 - Balance precariously on a slightly bigger sliver of a different bed with child still sobbing/sleeping and giving me a squeezy cuddle anytime she gets scared.
  • 05:15 – exit room to go and tell wife that I might go for a 30min run before wake ups
  • 05:17- Youngest wakes up and is ready to go for the day
  • 05:30 – wife asks me if I got up to the girls during the night…

Yeah that sucks. But why don't they go to your wife?

I'm more sympathetic and understand the stress a bad dream can cause than their dad, so that's why they come to me. He doesn't even wake up, and we have creaky floorboards!

On 30/05/2019 at 6:49 AM, goughy said:

Only just read your post T, but not the whole thread yet!  This has been one of my big issues over the years, and why I was constantly tired and falling asleep regularly during my lunch breaks. 

So why not nap during your break? When I was training for IM, I took in a skinny, thin camping mattress and napped for 15-20 mins in my lunch break. I couldn't have survived otherwise.

On 30/05/2019 at 8:44 AM, MissJess said:

Some of us don't have the head hits the pillow out like a light thing either, and it's not kids causing it....sometimes its insomnia, for some (like the +1) restless legs syndrome, which seems to be a dark art about how you stop it! 

210_SLEEP.png

Mine only play up when I have do e a hard session or am fatigued.

On 30/05/2019 at 8:48 AM, Bored@work said:

Work all day - (fingers crossed you can get a 30min run in lunch. Not sure there is much IM value in running 30min but anyway) shower & get back to work. Eat lunch at your desk

What if you did a really hard one like hills or sprints?

Make lunches for the next day 8:20pm 

I make my salad the night before, but do 2 days worth. For a little bit Dazz was making my lunch as leftovers when he was making dinner or I'd just fill a Chinese container of frozen veggies, but I was feeling sluggish and felt I still needed my salads. In summer, dinner is accompanied by salad, so I/ he would just make an extra one and that was my lunch. But we have veggies in winter and i don't feel as good after having them at lunch as I do salad. ANYWAY, make 2 days worth of lunches at once. Still fresh a day later but you only do them every 2nd day.

Iron some clothes for work 9pm 

Can you do this on a Sunday afternoon? A whole weeks worth? Will save on electricity too, by only heating the iron once.

- washing clothes, grocery shopping etc

Put on a load when you start your session.

Hang it out when you return from / finish your session

The hardest part for me would be trying to stay focused and awake at work.

See above. Nap time on purpose, not by accident 

If these ppl who just get up earlier to get everything done could please forward me their CV.

I'm sure we can get them a project management position that pays $200k a year. 

I don't want to get up early for work, only for training.

On 30/05/2019 at 9:00 AM, Bored@work said:

My over riding thought was.

- they are full of shit

-kids won’t know them

-there partners do everything 

-they have hired help

-working all day on the tools is only for 3hrs 

- they work from home 

- they will struggle to keep up this intensity year after year 

Not everyone wants to keep it going year after year. 2-3 years of IM training was enough for me. That's why I'm back to OD and sprint. 

On 30/05/2019 at 10:37 AM, Katz said:

Women have a habit of bashing other women for doing 'motherhood' or 'womanhood' differently to the way they might choose to do it. We are unfortunately our own worst enemies. Women as a group would do so much better if we supported each other rather than tearing each other down.

This ⬆️

On 30/05/2019 at 10:37 AM, Katz said:

It appears much the same could be said for triathletes. 

⬆️ and this

Stolen for my classroom. Thanks.

On 30/05/2019 at 9:50 PM, The new guy said:

But anyone (not a personal dig) who says that if you get up early to fit your sessions in around life makes you an absent parent, is full of crap.

There are ways, if you time mange, prioritise and are flexible.

Thank you

I know people who loose more actual family time because of golf, or because they watch multiple games of footy during the week.

This ⬆️

At least most people here are trying to fit it in. Although my kids love watching footy with their dad. Mind you, they'd sit and watch paint dry if it meant time with him on the couch.

Its hard, but the heaviest training is usually only 3 months, so while it is tough, it’s also short term.

This too ⬆️

On 31/05/2019 at 2:14 PM, Go Easy said:

I'm on the trainer for 90 mins with 20 min sweet spots. This is actually the first thread I've read and I'm finishing in 9 mins. Haven't ecent gotten to my emails yet!!

On 01/06/2019 at 3:32 PM, trifun said:

. Noosa is going to look ugly.

No it's not. It'll be the best one yet cause you'll be doing it for fun with no pressure. Change your outlook! A lot more will be doing it on a lot less base!!

• Like 1

Thats some seriously impressive quoting Cranky.

23 minutes ago, Peter said:

Thats some seriously impressive quoting Cranky.

I know. I want to reply but it too hard off a phone. 

I find it ironic a school teacher is talking about time management. Start at 8:45 & finish at 3. Then have two weeks off every 10 weeks. 

*calm down, I’m taking the piss 

2 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I find it ironic a school teacher is talking about time management. Start at 8:45 & finish at 3. Then have two weeks off every 10 weeks. 

It's true though. 

I'll now toddle off and wait for the breakdown of unpaid time worked and how it transfers to their holidays etc etc....

6 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

You might be taking the piss but some teachers are like that. I live across the road from a primary school

Some teachers arrive at 7am and cars are still there at 5:30pm.

Others are getting out of their cars as the bell is ringing and gone on the dot of 3:30.

But you can't cover up the 12-13 weeks holidays a year. Mind you, I wouldnt want to be a teacher.

Say take a week out of each holiday for marking and prep.  Xmas they get more time clearly.  I've seen both sides with teachers.  But it's really the same with many jobs.  Some do just enough to get by.  Done take a lot of pride and put a lot of effort into what they do.  I know I'd certainly not want to be making the kinds of assignments my daughter is handing in.  Then multiply it by several classes.  And add in having to deal with some of the kids, and parents they get these days!

1 minute ago, goughy said:

Say take a week out of each holiday for marking and prep.  Xmas they get more time clearly.  I've seen both sides with teachers.  But it's really the same with many jobs.  Some do just enough to get by.  Done take a lot of pride and put a lot of effort into what they do.  I know I'd certainly not want to be making the kinds of assignments my daughter is handing in.  Then multiply it by several classes.  And add in having to deal with some of the kids, and parents they get these days!

Agree.

But I do love it when teachers say they hate having to take holidays during school holiday times. But fair enough given prices seem to go through the roof.

• Like 1

Yeah, they do get stuck with peak season holidaying.  Granted I've seen teachers take time at other periods of the year.  They wouldn't be the only ones with holiday restrictions in the world.

I knew someone when I was in Brisbane who worked at Mack Trucks.  The place shut down for several weeks over Xmas and that pretty much took all her holidays.  So that was the only time she got off.

In a lot of places I have worked it is from the Friday before Christmas to the Monday after new year. So you pretty much burn almost 2 weeks there. There are a few places some people I know still work at it is the 2nd Monday after new year, so add another week.

That does not leave much for an actual holiday after you take the isolated day here and there if you need to get the car serviced or something done at home and you do not have a flexible arrangement. 

The funny think is she mentioned getting it done & then mentioned 2.5 to 3 years of Ironman training was enough for her

58 minutes ago, goughy said:

Yeah, they do get stuck with peak season holidaying.  Granted I've seen teachers take time at other periods of the year.  They wouldn't be the only ones with holiday restrictions in the world.

But then for 17 years we've been stuck with taking our holidays during school holidays. I'm looking forward to Heath's graduation this year, and our "off-peak" holiday next year.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

I knew someone when I was in Brisbane who worked at Mack Trucks.  The place shut down for several weeks over Xmas and that pretty much took all her holidays.  So that was the only time she got off.

This is fairly standard in manufacturing type industries.  The car manufacturers all did it.  In my current work place we shut from Xmas eve until middle of January.  Previous job did public holidays only as it was our busiest time of the year.

Personally I much prefer the shut down, gives me a good chance to spend some school holiday time with the kids. 

That is where I burn all of my annual leave anyway, we both work so come school holidays one of us has to take time off to look after the kids.

3 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Agree.

But I do love it when teachers say they hate having to take holidays during school holiday times. But fair enough given prices seem to go through the roof.

Over here you get fined for taking your kids out of school during term time but it's seems perfectly fine for teachers to do it!  Don't even get me started on fcuking 'Inset Days':wallbash:

16 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Over here you get fined for taking your kids out of school during term time but it's seems perfectly fine for teachers to do it!  Don't even get me started on fcuking 'Inset Days':wallbash:

What's an Inset Day? ;)