Toolish

Time management

I was going tto post this in the supportive spouse thread but thought I might be better off splitting it out.  I have been out of tri's for a couple of years and while my wife is very supportive and knows it makes me a better person, but I am struggling with the time management of it all.

I have a 8 y.o and a 10y.o.

Standard day I work 7-4:30, short commute.  Normally we are eating at 5:30, takes about an hour so that is 6:30.  Then it is baths or showers for the kids which makes it 7pm.  7-8 is an hour of family games, either video gaming together or board games.  Kids are usually in bed at 8:30 and asleep by 9.

If I start a session at 8:15 say (as they are going to bed) and go for an hour, then that makes it 9:15 but I take about 90 min after a session to be able to get to be and sleep so that makes in 10:45, then up at 6 so best case is 7ish hours sleep.

Otherwise I go to bed when they do at 9pm, get my 8 hours, up at 5 to finish a session by 6 and get ready for work.

Both of these options leave no time for us as a couple or any other hobbies and that is only 5 hours training though the week.

Anyone else have a similar life circumstance, and if so how do you fit training in.  Note lunch training is not an option.

16 minutes ago, Toolish said:

I was going tto post this in the supportive spouse thread but thought I might be better off splitting it out.  I have been out of tri's for a couple of years and while my wife is very supportive and knows it makes me a better person, but I am struggling with the time management of it all.

Standard day I work 7-4:30, short commute.  Normally we are eating at 5:30, takes about an hour so that is 6:30.  Then it is baths or showers for the kids which makes it 7pm.  7-8 is an hour of family games, either video gaming together or board games.  Kids are usually in bed at 8:30 and asleep by 9.

If I start a session at 8:15 say (as they are going to bed) and go for an hour, then that makes it 9:15 but I take about 90 min after a session to be able to get to be and sleep so that makes in 10:45, then up at 6 so best case is 7ish hours sleep.

Otherwise I go to bed when they do at 9pm, get my 8 hours, up at 5 to finish a session by 6 and get ready for work.

Both of these options leave no time for us as a couple or any other hobbies and that is only 5 hours training though the week.

Anyone else have a similar life circumstance, and if so how do you fit training in.  Note lunch training is not an option.

Sorry to sound selfish, but can the kids play their own board game 3 nights a week, so you can train earlier? You train 7-8, but the time you get to them they are in bed and sleepy but not asleep. Read to them for 5 mins each and you're done.  Make up the family time on the weekend. ??

• Like 2

Also - depends on what you’re aiming to do. If its IM or 70.3 its going to be difficult based on what you’ve described particularly if you don’t have lunch times as an option. For me, I swim on my own during lunch times and also use it for double run days or gym sessions. It’s the only way I get them done. May not possible for you, but I actually block my calendar as “meetings” for midday training during the week - just helps. 

Only other thing I can offer is almost all my riding is indoors, and I get up at some ridiculous hours to limit impact on family. 

Maybe just concentrate on the disciplines that aren’t as strong? Again, just depends on what you’re trying to achieve. If you can only dedicate 5 hours/week then consistently hitting that can’t hurt you.

Whilst I do start work later at 8.30am, I would train in the morning if I were in your situation. My morning sessions are typically 5.30am to 6.30am (yes 4.40am alarms for me). That still gives me plenty of time to head home after training for a shower and breakfast, drop the kid off at daycare then go to work. With your early start work time, you'd probably have to shower at work (or plan your training sessions near a swim pool or gym if your work doesn't have showers) and have breakfast at your desk?

Ditch the evening session and train in the morning 

far far more time efficient, if you want to train , sometimes something has to give 

best st thing I ever did is get rid of the PM sessions , some coach’s Ive worked with hAvnt been overly happy when we start working together when I tell them I refuse to do any PM sessions but once they see how much I can cram into a (training) week then they get over it very very quickly 

great your not digging into family time , so you just have to except that u won’t get your 8 hrs sleep on some nights 

I’m out the door at 6-30 am most days and work 12hr plus days (when daylight allows ) so home 7-7-30 pm  and still get a minimum of 2 hrs done on a week day morning some morns 3hr 

latest im in bed is 9pm , but some mornings are a 2-30 am start , mostly 3-30am though 

4am starts on a weekend is a great sleep in , beside the Tuesday when I get up at 5-20am as that’s my day off training 

Also indoor trainer is your friend , get to know him/her 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

but can the kids play their own board game 3 nights a week, so

Kinda defeats the purpose of what seems to be dedicated family time though. 

If toolish wanted to ditch the family interaction for training he would have. Its likely a priority. 

• Like 1

Ditch the evening session and train in the morning 

far far more time efficient, if you want to train , sometimes something has to give 

This is clearly the answer but he doesn't want this answer - he wants you to sympathise with him 

I rarely set evening sessions for athletes - maybe a bit of core work or stretching - I would set morning only sessions 95% of the time - it allows as "normal a family life as possible" in the evenings

If you want the prize you will get up early - like they say about the early bird 😏 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, AP said:

This is clearly the answer but he doesn't want this answer - he wants you to sympathise with him 

I rarely set evening sessions for athletes - maybe a bit of core work or stretching - I would set morning only sessions 95% of the time - it allows as "normal a family life as possible" in the evenings

If you want the prize you will get up early - like they say about the early bird 😏 

It was only a matter of time till you came on with this. I am surprised you didnt pipe up with your stock standard "high achievers fit more into their days almost like they have more hours in the day" and "I have coached CEOs who work 20 hours a day to Kona"

He's spending quality time with his kids  and his wife so sounds like he already has got the 'prize'....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Morning is the answer for me. I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old.

Standard sort of week at the moment, is:

-Monday - 4.30 alarm, 5.30 at the pool - work by 7.30. Short core and yoga at lunch, home by 5.30. Kids in bed 7pm, treadmill for afterwards. Evening and dinner with the family.

-Tuesday - 4.30 alarm, long run. Work by 7.30 Evening with the kids, night with my wife.

-Wednesday 3.30 alarm, long ride on velodrome in the dark, work by 7.30. Lunch core and yoga. Evening with the kids, night with my wife.

-Thursday - 4.30 alarm, outdoors long interval run. Evening with the kids, night with my wife.

-Friday - Athletes choice bike ride - zwift race in the AM, hill set after work for example. Depending on what I choose, I either have breakfast or evening/night with the family.

-Saturday - Parkrun - rest of day family time

-Sunday early yoga/core, rest of day with the family.

Any of the long runs or long rides can be shifted to the pain cave, meaning an extra breakfast with the kids. This is based on a winter schedule with a focus on the run, but a similar time and session set up would be the basis for a summer of 70.3 distance racing.

• Like 1

You don't say how much training you want to get done or what event you're looking for, but here goes:
Can your commute become a training session?  Either a run or bike?  You might not lose much time if you currently catch a train/drive.

You've got at least 30mins from 6:30 to 7, unless you help with baths/showers.  There's a short fast run waiting to happen.

Only other choices are getting up earlier, cram some on the weekends or an evening session and just accept lack of sleep.
Always plan ahead one day and already have clothes/timeslots allocated and ready to go to avoid wasted time.   Perhaps that's the 'evening' work.

Edited by ScubaSteve

12 minutes ago, AP said:

... but he doesn't want this answer - he wants you to sympathise with him ...

I've never met you, so I'll try not to pass judgement on you, but just so you know, online, you often come across as a condescending d!ck with a superiority complex...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Don't people like sleeping anymore? Some of the times people are getting up makes my eyes water! I do hear when you are old and stuffed you need less sleep - is that what's going on here? :lol:

Do you really need 90min to settle down after a workout? I find after a hard Zwift session I can shower and go straight to bed. But clearly I am just weak and tired. I do not get up at 3:30am to train (and will not!) :wink1:

Edited by dazaau

@BogFrog needed to be said.

Although, I did not spend an hour every night with my parents as a kid, I am fine. Mum used to go to aerobics once or twice a week from memory, dad would look after us, but I don't remember family board games....or family activities, more like sister and I making up our own fun.

@dazaau I cannot it seems, I need about 2 hours to wind down. I complained about lack of sleep, doctor said heres the script for melatonin, but stopping the training 2 hours before bed will be cheaper.

Edited by MissJess
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MissJess said:

@dazaau I cannot it seems, I need about 2 hours to wind down. I complained about lack of sleep, doctor said heres the script for melatonin, but stopping the training 2 hours before bed will be cheaper.

That's fair enough, some people can't. Once I'm tired enough I just sleep. Unless I am very very tired and over stimulated metnally. So working on a big project till late into the night will do bad things. Then I'll dream about it as well,  so rubbish! :lol: 

11 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Don't people like sleeping anymore? Some of the times people are getting up makes my eyes water! I do hear when you are old and stuffed you need less sleep - is that what's going on here? :lol:

Do you really need 90min to settle down after a workout? I find after a hard Zwift session I can shower and go straight to bed. But clearly I am just weak and tired. I do not get up at 3:30am to train (and will not!) :wink1:

Its all just a matter of your body clock adjusting mate-that's all there is to it. But on the flip side I must admit on the weekend when we are visiting friends/family I hit the wall around 9:30PM and everyone looks at me like I'm a weirdo lol

30 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I take at least an hour before I can think about sleeping following a trainer ride, havent tried after running but would probably be longer...

In saying this, I decided last night that 'I really do want it enough"  so set my alarm for 4am to do a workout and be back on deck by 5.30 when our youngest (3) usually wakes up. I was asleep at 9.15pm

• 12:19 -The youngest starts screaming hysterically. She's cold, and can’t manage to get under her blanket by herself. I tuck her in under her doona while explaining that if she really  wants to go to Hawaiian holiday anytime soon then she will need to go back to sleep, and stay that way until after 6am. She selfishly says that she can’t sleep without me lying beside her so I lay down for a few minutes until she’s asleep.
  • 12:20-01:45 - Balance precariously on a 5 inch sliver of bed with child draped half over me dozing sporadically. Attempt multiple exits but the slightest movement wakes her and the dance begins again in earnest.
  • 02:00 – Finally back in my own bed and drift back to sleep.
  • 03:15 – The oldest (5) wakes me up by tugging my arm. She’s crying as has had a nightmare and is now scared of the monsters in her closet. I take her to her bed and put her back in, change the colour of her nightlight, shine a torch in her closet to show her there are no monsters but she is still crying. I lay beside her and she begins to settle down.
  • 03:20-05:00 - Balance precariously on a slightly bigger sliver of a different bed with child still sobbing/sleeping and giving me a squeezy cuddle anytime she gets scared.
  • 05:15 – exit room to go and tell wife that I might go for a 30min run before wake ups
  • 05:17- Youngest wakes up and is ready to go for the day
  • 05:30 – wife asks me if I got up to the girls during the night…

According to my Garmin I had 7.45 of sleep, with over 3 hours of that REM or deep sleep. Just shows how rubbish the sleep tracking is because I know I was awake clock watching for all of those hours..

This may seem like the worst case scenario but is actually quite common. Usually I get out of the room quicker but then it takes a while to get back to sleep…

My wife does more than her share so there is no way I am hard done by there…

Excuses, I’ve got a million (or 2 beautiful ones) of them…

Edited by pieman
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

I've never met you, so I'll try not to pass judgement on you, but just so you know, online, you often come across as a condescending d!ck with a superiority complex...

This could be the case .... but, he's right.

If any of us have commitments that make sessions difficult in the afternoon, you have to get up earlier. There's something satisfying, knowing that you have run a half marathon before work, when other plonkers are dreading their session after work - or they don't do any exercise at all.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, more said:

Its all just a matter of your body clock adjusting mate-that's all there is to it. But on the flip side I must admit on the weekend when we are visiting friends/family I hit the wall around 9:30PM and everyone looks at me like I'm a weirdo lol

If you are in bed by 9 then I guess it makes more sense. I still cling to my eight hours as a minimum lol.

But I imagine that for many once the kids are in bed then its couple time! 

4 minutes ago, pieman said:

I take at least an hour before I can think about sleeping following a trainer ride, havent tried after running but would probably be longer...

In saying this, I decided last night that 'I really do want it enough"  so set my alarm for 4am to do a workout and be back on deck by 5.30 when our youngest (3) usually wakes up. I was asleep at 9.15pm

• 12:19 -The youngest starts screaming hysterically. She's cold, and can’t manage to get under her blanket by herself. I tuck her in under her doona while explaining that if she really  wants to go to Hawaiian holiday anytime soon then she will need to go back to sleep, and stay that way until after 6am. She selfishly says that she can’t sleep without me lying beside her so I lay down for a few minutes until she’s asleep.
  • 12:20-01:45 - Balance precariously on a 5 inch sliver of bed with child draped half over me dozing sporadically. Attempt multiple exits but the slightest movement wakes her and the dance begins again in earnest.
  • 03:15 – The oldest (5) wakes me up by tugging my arm. She’s crying as has had a nightmare and is now scared of the monsters in her closet. I take her to her bed and put her back in, change the colour of her nightlight, shine a torch in her closet to show her there are no monsters but she is still crying. I lay beside her and she begins to settle down.
  • 03:20-05:00 - Balance precariously on a slightly bigger sliver of a different bed with child still sobbing/sleeping and giving me a squeezy cuddle anytime she gets scared.
  • 05:15 – exit room to go and tell wife that I might go for a 30min run before wake ups

According to my Garmin I had 7.45 of sleep, with over 3 hours of that REM or deep sleep. Just shows how rubbish the sleep tracking is because I know I was awake clock watching for all of those hours..

This may seem like the worst case scenario but is actually quite common. Usually I get out of the room quicker but then it takes a while to get back to sleep…

Excuses, I’ve got a million of them…

Broken sleep is like no sleep at all :(

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Although, I did not spend an hour every night with my parents as a kid, I am fine. Mum used to go to aerobics once or twice a week from memory, dad would look after us, but I don't remember family board games....or family activities, more like sister and I making up our own fun.

I barely spent time with my parents as a kid either - we never played games together and I had to entertain myself.  However I think it's an admirable thing that parents nowadays (now I feel old - I just said nowadays) want to spend time with their kids. I don't have very much in common with my parents and don't have a great relationship with them. but a lot of people younger than me do...  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dazaau said:

But I imagine that for many once the kids are in bed then its couple time! 

Judging by the answers previously, for many this isnt the case. As soon as the kids are down then it out for a 3 hr run or on to the trainer for 3 hours...  I thought that spending time with the wife is the whole point in being married but hey I havent been around/married as long as some of the older 'legends' that are making these comments.... 

21 minutes ago, pieman said:

I don't think it's about not "wanting it enough" for people. Plenty of people can get up at 4am, train, get the kids brekkie, take them to school, go to work etc but how involved are you as a parent and partner? Are you chatting to them enthusiastically as you take them to school or sitting there completely monged? And perhaps people do cope and are able to be enthusiastic despite feeling knackered, but how long before they burn out? Got to look at the big picture. 

Edited by zed

There is a lot of n=1 going on here. 

No two situations are the same. 

When I was training “my best” two early mornings a week midweek (4am wake up) was all I could handle. I needed sleep.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

I barely spent time with my parents as a kid either - we never played games together and I had to entertain myself.  However I think it's an admirable thing that parents nowadays (now I feel old - I just said nowadays) want to spend time with their kids. I don't have very much in common with my parents and don't have a great relationship with them. but a lot of people younger than me do...  

My Dad paid the family house off when I was about 13, he then started saving for his retirement. Guess what he's old & sits at home all day doing nothing.

I don't have a great relationship with my parents because I was always entertainig myself or hanging out with the local kids. I love my Dad & I'm grateful for everything he has done for me. But I could easily go a month or two with out seeing them. They only live 8km from my place. If it wasn't for my daughters weekly netball game we would never see them.

I'm not making the same mistakes with my daughter.

Wooden salad bowls and finsishers medals are nice but nothing beats family time.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Toolish said:

I have kids the same age. I train before work, lunch at work and kids squad swim in the evening, twice a week, so I swim then. And then sat ride sun long run. I make sure the sessions aren't a chore and I don't dread them. No way would I be training at 8.15....

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, softy said:

If any of us have commitments that make sessions difficult in the afternoon, you have to get up earlier. There's something satisfying, knowing that you have run a half marathon before work, when other plonkers are dreading their session after work - or they don't do any exercise at all.

Unless of course your partner likes to watch a movie before bed and talk about her day. "I'm sorry, I'm off to bed I need to be up at 4am"

• Like 2

I also think getting up early in QLD or WA is a lot easier than getting up in VIC or SA in the dark & freezing cold.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

Unless of course your partner likes to watch a movie before bed and talk about her day. "I'm sorry, I'm off to bed I need to be up at 4am"

Yeah I swear some people should just marry their bikes...

3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Looks like you need a new partner. 

9 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I also think getting up early in QLD or WA is a lot easier than getting up in VIC or SA in the dark & freezing cold.

You know, it's both dark and cold here (in WA) in the wee hours of the morning.

1 hour ago, AP said:

So your athletes get to kona on just 7 sessions a week? Maybe 8 with a weekend brick session?

1 hour ago, BogFrog said:

LOL 😂 

Edited by Peter

11 minutes ago, Katz said:

You know, it's both dark and cold here (in WA) in the wee hours of the morning.

At 5am this morning on the Gold Coast it was 4 degrees and dark.

1 minute ago, CootaGC said:

Oh please. 

4.30pm  feels like 3.7c  

A8EFD7A3-C51A-4781-BF79-0F97903A51BD.jpeg

It was like 11.4 or something when I got up at 5:30 this morning.

It was definitely dark though. :D

It is all relative though. Given here in WA we effectively live on the sun's surface in summer, it doesn't take nearly as much for it to feel cool than it does elsewhere.

Not that I mind the cold on little bit. Love it in fact.

Edited by Katz

I think it comes down to your priorities and what you (and your family) accept as being appropriate balance. Everyone's different, but for me, I wouldn't be giving up any kid/family time at their age. They grow up so quickly and once they hit the teenage years they will have less time for you the older they get. There's talk in this and other threads about training while their kids are at sport etc, but for me I loved watching my son at whatever sports practice, game, carnival, he was doing. It was important to him and me, so there's no way in the world I would have missed them so I could go training.

During that time, my training was lower priority, but now that my son's grown up with his own life I have heaps of time. As far as a solution for you, I think it leans towards those morning sessions others have mentioned.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

Oh please. 

4.30pm  feels like 3.7c  

A8EFD7A3-C51A-4781-BF79-0F97903A51BD.jpeg

It's been snowing in Mornington this afternoon 

24 minutes ago, Peter said:

So your athletes get to kona on just 7 sessions a week? Maybe 8 with a weekend brick session?

LOL 😂 

When you are divorced time is not an issue 

4 hours ago, Toolish said:

Okay, this might be a shock to some people but you can't have it all.  The people that tell you that they do actually don't they just haven't realised it yet and probably won't until their partner leaves them or their sporting "career" is over and they wonder why their now grown-up kids don't seem to have a close relationship with them.

The people I would call successful in life prioritise family>work>hobbies/sport/everything else and set their goals based upon what they can give without trading off the more important for the less.  That means if you only have 4 hours a week to train when you're present for your kids and wife and still functioning well at work then your goals have to be a little more modest.  No IM or HIM for you and Oly would probably be a struggle to be competitive but stick to sprints and you could do okay or if you prefer you could dominate an enticer.

The other distances will still be there when your kids are old enough that they no longer want, let alone need, your presence and you'll have a few years of consistent training to give you a leg up.  Your kids will never be this age again and your wife will never appreciate you as much as she does knowing that she is more important to you than a stupid sport.  You never know it may result in her finding a way to help you do what you want.

There is always going to be sacrifice somewhere by someone, make sure you choose wisely.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Toolish said:

5 hrs training within the weekdays is actually a lot if you find a way to get it done. weekend warrior is a real thing.

If you get up early on the weekends you could get in a long ride as a long run. Even on just 3 weekday activities it's not a bad base. 

While I resent the idea that you can't do it all, you can't :( 

1 hour ago, CootaGC said:

Yep, single figures in Brisbane, an extra layer on the bike this morning. 

3 hours ago, AP said:

It is an answer. It depends on you your circumstances and what works. During the week pm swim and home trainer works really well. Get kids organised, fed bathed read.

Work out 60 minutes to 2 hours.

Mornings are a zoo with one early riser one sleeps in. But often do a morning session. An hour is an hour there is no magic about PM or am other than what works for you and your circumstances.

On weekends I like to do the kids sports work in the yard and often do a three hour trainer ride pm and then do a longer one on Sunday am as the family like a lazy sunday then I take them to the pool

2 hours ago, softy said:

Ive managed KQ and guys who were doing the national series and even did the odd ITU race. Annoyed the crap out of me that they were too tired to perform, not engaged, focussed more on their lunch work out and riding home at 1600. They had their eye on the prize.

They also found the door

6 hours ago, Toolish said:

Ask yourself three questions:

What do I hope to achieve in triathlon?

What do I want from my family life?

Which of the above is most important to me?

Answer these and you'll have your answer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CootaGC said:

hahahahahahahaha

4 hours ago, AP said:

like they say about the early bird 😏 

The early bird gets wormed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Everybody is prescribing their own solution to their own time management problems. And now people are bitching about the cold weather. It's pretty simple really.

Your training program tells you what to do on a certain day. if Monday is a run day, that means all day Monday. You work it out for your own circumstances when you do it.

you know your trains environment better than anyone else and what your time limitations are. Trial and error on your part, is what will give you the best solution for you. 

As for weather, in winter if the temp forecast  is below 10 degrees On any day, don't train outside early in the morning as the temp will be single digits and will lead to health problems - ie cold/ flu, muscle tear, mild hypothermia and possibly scarring on the lungs. There's more but I won't bore you with them, google it. Train in the warmer part of the day like at lunch time or straight after work. If that's not possible look for other solutions. 

One thing you will find is no one will agree on what is the best time of day to train. Simply because we all live in different climatic conditions. 

Up north in QLD, NT, and northern NSW, morning is the only solution for the majority of the year due to the climate. Plus the sun is up stupidly early and sets not long after people get home from work. Completely useless for afternoon training.

Down south and westward, the sun doesn't show itself till 6am in summer and well after 7 am in winter. Now winter it's also Farken freezing in the morning. Only a fool would prescribe outside sessions In the morning during winter. Sooner or later the athlete will be sick, injured or get jack of being cold and miserable when training. likewise, saying don't train in the pm is missing the golden opportunity in Spring, summer and autumn, of taking advantage of the extended daylight hours in the evening to get some good training done, especially on the bike. 

So bottom line is, work it out for yourself. Sure, ask questions and suggestions but no one answer is right, so think laterally about how you get your training done. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pieman said:

Excuses, I’ve got a million (or 2 beautiful ones) of them…

Thank you for posting the reality of so many parents!!!

I had been hoping to tease out with the supportive spouse thread that the truth behind the people who advocate setting alarms with a 3:xx am or 4:xx am time and also have kids is that they are either leaning exceptionally heavily on their spouse or have a resistance to sleep deprivation that would leave the interrogators at Guantanamo Bay impressed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trilobite said:

I had been hoping to tease out with the supportive spouse thread that the truth behind the people who advocate setting alarms with a 3:xx am or 4:xx am time and also have kids is that they are either leaning exceptionally heavily on their spouse or have a resistance to sleep deprivation that would leave the interrogators at Guantanamo Bay impressed.

5 am is plenty early, much earlier then you are an exception bed by 9 gets 8 hours sleep

3 minutes ago, trilobite said:

Yep, has been said in threads where you post your methods, post your results. 

If you post your solutions, also post your situations. Ie, if u advocate getting up at 3am, what time do u go to bed and what other commitment he do you have?