Sign in to follow this  
dazaau

Everest is out of control

Check out this picture from everest recently. They were stepping around people who had just died. Not the experience I would be looking for were I to climb everest. 

"You have to qualify to do the Iron Man. You have to qualify to run the New York marathon,'' said Alan Arnette, a prominent Everest chronicler and climber. "But you don't have to qualify to climb the highest mountain in the world? What's wrong with this picture?"

https://www.theage.com.au/world/asia/it-was-like-a-zoo-climbers-reveal-lord-of-flies-experience-of-overcrowded-everest-20190527-p51rf0.html 

Untitled.png

Isn't it the case that of you die up Everest, you never come down as it's too dangerous for you to be retrieved?  So people would have been doing that for years and years?  That's clearly part of the price of a climb like that?  I wouldn't like to do it.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Isn't it the case that of you die up Everest, you never come down as it's too dangerous for you to be retrieved?  So people would have been doing that for years and years?  That's clearly part of the price of a climb like that?  I wouldn't like to do it.

Yes, but it's a bit weird when they literally died in the line waiting and then people need to step around them to get to their place on the top. 

Also, apologies for the repeat post. 

I would imagine most of those "dead" people were still alive and breathing, probably unconscious, incapacitated, but very much alive. Could they have been saved? Don't know, but it seems macabre and mercenary continuing on your climb, celebrating in ecstasy when you summit whilst below you people draw their last breath.....

2 hours ago, zed said:

I would imagine most of those "dead" people were still alive and breathing, probably unconscious, incapacitated, but very much alive. Could they have been saved? Don't know, but it seems macabre and mercenary continuing on your climb, celebrating in ecstasy when you summit whilst below you people draw their last breath.....

All part of the risk.

What would peeve me, after I stomped over those ill prepared and laying on the ground blocking my way, would be not being able to sit on the summit for a few minutes to enjoy the moment after all those months / years of preparation and possibly previous failure. 

When Ironman take it over you will be able to buy a photo package from the official event photographer on completion for a modest fee*

*plus active fee. 

I remember having a beer with the mate of a mate who climbed Everest in 1996. He was still going through decompression for the frostbite on his remaining 3 fingers. I didn't see the point then and I don't now. I would never put myself into the position where someone should have to rescue me or try and save my worthless ar$e!

Even more macabre that people just walk by and allow others to perish while they go on to their "goal". The photos of the summit look like they should put a handrail on it, or even a travelator! Then you hear the stories that some are so inexperienced that they don't know how to use their equipment like crampons! Scary.

Also, 4,032 people have climbed Everest and only 1,831 have swum the English Channel - which is more desirable? 

There was some footage on my be of the news channels the other day showing the people in the queue, queuing right beside a body. 

Not quite sure how you reconcile that. 

Im sure AP would say the deceased didn’t want it enough 

22 minutes ago, roxii said:

There was some footage on my be of the news channels the other day showing the people in the queue, queuing right beside a body. 

Not quite sure how you reconcile that. 

Channel 9 showed that this morning on today show

13 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Channel 9 showed that this morning on today show

I can’t believe someone is still watching the today show.