BC_J400

Bike v's car

The joys of commuting.  This happens probably once per week or two.  I only travel on the road for a very short part of my commute.

Despite the comments which are often negative, I am adamant that I followed the best course of action on this one.

I was not going overly fast (it's downhill, could have been going way faster than 30 if I wanted to, and most other bikes usually do) and there was a car behind me so I didn't think swerving to the right was a great idea.  I started braking and honestly thought I'd have plenty of room, until she stopped unexpectedly.  I've seen the result of swerving at the last moment and it doesn't usually end well.

Edited by BC_J400
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

It feels like she stopped after she heard the yell? (I would have yelled too)

If I can't see down into side streets because of parked cars on the left, I'd be going a lot slower than that (unless there was a KOM at stake 😂)

Edited by The Customer
  • Haha 1

And she wears 2XU.

I reckon she will become a much better driver after that. You're a nice dude.

• Like 2

Her side window fogged, that white van blocking her view.  No excuse but at least she stopped and said sorry....though she stopped a bit too fast!  Seems like a nice kid though & she'll be more careful next time, I'm glad you went easy on her. 

The last woman who did that to me just blasted her horn at me and suggested it was my fault ☹️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Well handled. Both on the bike and the gracious manner off it.

This ⬆️

• Like 2

Yeah, well done by both!  I reckon she'll wipe her window better in future.

I have to admit, this is why I dislike riding on mornings when car windows are fogged up. 

It actually scares me more than people on mobiles driving.

Glad you were okay.

6 minutes ago, bumcrackjack said:

Well handled mate........you're a class act

Agreed. I would have struggled to be that cool, and if it had been a tradie getting out of a ute rather than a young girl getting out of that car, well, the video may have made it on to ACA. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Really well handled. I'm sure your adrenaline was up, but you stayed calm and helped the driver who was clearly shaken. 👍

• Like 2

Otherwise  you might have ended up with this - my effort a couple of 2 weeks ago.

No driver at fault - in fact no driver even involved! Totally mea culpa.  Was pretty sick that week from a toothache and a splitting headache and feeling really sh1t - dropped off the bunch and was heading home and I can't remember anything else.  First car in a long straight stretch - black car on a dark morning and no street lighting - probably just wasn't paying attention  :( 

Coming good now although with all the new scars on my face  I'm probably more qualified now as an extra in a pirate movie or the bad guy in a spaghetti western.... :)

10yeycy.jpg 

• Sad 3

Geeezus!!! Lucky you didnt get killed! There have been a few people killed running up the back of parked cars!

Icky! I'm not a big fan of blood... Glad you're ok bar some scars, lucky chicks dig 'em.

Geezus, glad you're on the mend. 

Ummmmm......  Hows the bike? 

I know when I did the same my beautiful S-Works didn't survive. 

Glad you are OK mate. 

Thanks everyone - not one of my greatest days. I initially made light of it - stiff upper lip and all that - but soon realised that downplaying it was doing a disservice to the people who helped me at the scene - 2 unknown cyclists there first (one of whom donated a glove to stem the bleeding) and a friend, Tim, who arrived soon after and managed to get me to unlock my phone and call my wife who arrived shortly after (she took that photo). It must have been much more traumatic for these helpers than it was for me (I must have looked pretty terrible/terminal(?)).

I am pretty good, really - face is healing well and a few ongoing concussion issues seem to be abating.  

Bike is trashed but frame only - even the wheels are ok - frame i almost severed at the top tube/down tube and head tube but parts are OK so will rebuild when the motivation comes back. its a disc frame so none of my old stuff is compatible

I've said it before after another accident and I have to say it again - PLEASE cut out the "OMG, he looks terrible!!" type comments.  Injured people have ears and they can hear all that sh1t and it scares the pants of you cos you don't know how bad you really are.  I was initially too scared to look at my face after all the comments but when I did it it wasn't nearly so bad as I thought.  (but before anyone else jumps in, yes it is probably an improvement!! LOL)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Pete said:

I've said it before after another accident and I have to say it again - PLEASE cut out the "OMG, he looks terrible!!" type comments.  Injured people have ears and they can hear all that sh1t and it scares the pants of you cos you don't know how bad you really are.  I was initially too scared to look at my face after all the comments but when I did it it wasn't nearly so bad as I thought.  (but before anyone else jumps in, yes it is probably an improvement!! LOL)

Maybe we should be the judge of that....

3 hours ago, Pete said:

10yeycy.jpg 

Wow. There's a lot of blood there. Glad you're ok.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

... and a friend, Tim, who arrived soon after and managed to get me to unlock my phone and call my wife who arrived shortly after (she took that photo).

Do you not have an emergency option where anyone can call a select number of people from your phone without unlocking it? I gave taught my girls how to use this on my phone just in case. It has my parents and Dazz as options. As well as 000 of course. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I've said it before after another accident and I have to say it again - PLEASE cut out the "OMG, he looks terrible!!" type comments.  Injured people have ears and they can hear all that sh1t and it scares the pants of you cos you don't know how bad you really are. 

Yes.  This! ⬆️

Do you want to share your photo of your face? What other damage did you have to yourself? Glad your ok!!

On the bright side, it looks like you managed to avoid going through the windscreen as well. :eek:

Good to know it wasn't more serious.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I had to do that once for the patient's own good. I had been trying not to let him know how bad it looked, until he tried to get me to ring his work and tell them he was going to be a bit late.  He was quite insistent and trying to get up etc.  I had to tell him he was not going to work and that I could see the inside of his head, it was the only way I could get him to lie down and wait for the ambos.  

Jeez mate, you did a number on yourself with that crash.   You probably don't look good afterwards, but some would argue that that Suzuki looks better than it did.

I'd hate to see what damage you'd do if the car was actually moving!

Here's another one of mine that worked out well.  Touch-wood I've only had a few near misses over the last year of 12,000 kms of commuting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDhs7_rNtfQ

1 hour ago, BC_J400 said:

Jeez mate, you did a number on yourself with that crash.   You probably don't look good afterwards, but some would argue that that Suzuki looks better than it did.

I'd hate to see what damage you'd do if the car was actually moving!

Here's another one of mine that worked out well.  Touch-wood I've only had a few near misses over the last year of 12,000 kms of commuting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDhs7_rNtfQ

YouTube comments section are a scary place. I've just been trying the comments on your"vial" video. Makes this place look like Utopia! 

Any chance TA (insurance) will pay to fix their (innocent) car?

YouTube comments are somewhat vulgar but the real “good” ones are on Reddit.... they are absolutely no less than BRUTAL.

If you want your channel to do well you post the videos on Reddit but you have to be prepared for a barrage of comments which you can’t delete on Reddit but can delete on YouTube.

I had some spare time this morning and made a small collection of stupid things from my big collection.

https://youtu.be/SlifGYHuloc

2 hours ago, BC_J400 said:

I had some spare time this morning and made a small collection of stupid things from my big collection.

It's got me forked why you ride in that mess?  Looks like suicide to me, just muppety shit going on everywhere.

8 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

It's got me forked why you ride in that mess?  Looks like suicide to me, just muppety shit going on everywhere.

Agreee

just a matter of time , before something happens 

I’d never ride in the shite , but then again if had to live. In that I’d never drive in that crap either 

so what are the options ?

got less chance of being killed driving I suppose but that just adds to the problem and frustration of living in a way to overcrowded city 🌃 

helicopter to work or move I suppose 

niether option not available to most 

LOL, I’m a pilot and flying a helicopter to work every day would probably be less safe!  Unless it was about a $5m one.  I’ll check with my bank manager and let you know how I went.  The amount of times our building owner nearly hit the top of our building in his helicopter in bad weather scared me off that long ago.

Luckily my commute is only about 2kms of   road and 20k+ of paths so it’s not too bad.  *Most* drivers are predictable.  I could also die in my car or get hit by a car walking from the train or from a terrorist related activity in Melbourne these days.

• Like 1

This is the sort of shit I have to deal with up here in the Boonies 😄  Hope they found him again, last I saw he was deep in the pine forest somewhere howling :blink:

He was faster than me though!

5 hours ago, BC_J400 said:

Luckily my commute is only about 2kms of   road and 20k+ of paths so it’s not too bad.  *Most* drivers are predictable.  I could also die in my car or get hit by a car walking from the train or from a terrorist related activity in Melbourne these days.

I rode home with my brother one time, and we went along the bike paths instead of the road. At 5pm on a fine summer's day I felt much safer on the road than on the bikepath.

• Like 1

Yep, so many cycling commuters are such dead set wankers. I used to ride to work lots and lost count of the times I was nearly taken out on blind corners by hero's on the wrong side of the lane. Not to mention  the other hero who thinks he is gods gift to neay take out your front wheel after pulling off a break neck overtake in heavy traffic towards oncoming riders. 

Edited by more

2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

This is the sort of shit I have to deal with up here in the Boonies 😄  Hope they found him again, last I saw he was deep in the pine forest somewhere howling :blink:

He was faster than me though

Looks like a fit dog! Also looks like great trails. Where is this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trinube said:

Looks like a fit dog! Also looks like great trails. Where is this?

Fitter than me mate!

That is one of the faster sections through there.

This is the Piney MTB track in Armidale.  Of all the tracks around here it is the longest (takes me about 43mins for a lap, the guns can do it in under 27mins, the 2nd ranked female in Aust can do it in 30mins).  There's one steep twisty rock section I've still not mastered, and today there was a small pine down across the track.  I could see from the marks on the bark others had just ridden over it, so I tried.  Got the front wheel over.....but apparently my MTB has 2 wheels :blush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I came across two well dressed ladies mid 40’s in their active wear this morning next to the Yarra.   They were walking towards me in the left lane of the bike path, head on.  I rang my bell and had to stop due to oncoming traffic.   I asked politely that they walk on the left side as the arrows underneath them pointed.  As for their response, I’ve never heard language like it before even when working as a Police officer.  I heard F, C, entitled cyclist, mad F, dumb C, d-head, etc.

#lovecommuting !!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, BC_J400 said:

I came across two well dressed ladies mid 40’s in their active wear this morning next to the Yarra.   They were walking towards me in the left lane of the bike path, head on.  I rang my bell and had to stop due to oncoming traffic.   I asked politely that they walk on the left side as the arrows underneath them pointed.  As for their response, I’ve never heard language like it before even when working as a Police officer.  I heard F, C, entitled cyclist, mad F, dumb C, d-head, etc.

#lovecommuting !!

Wow. Just wow.

39 minutes ago, BC_J400 said:

#lovecommuting !!

I assume you have audio with your video, public place, therefore local FB page maybe

• Like 1

It’s not worth polluting my channel with their filth!  Too many dislikes doesn’t help my YouTube income.

On 01/06/2019 at 5:32 PM, BC_J400 said:

YouTube comments are somewhat vulgar but the real “good” ones are on Reddit.... they are absolutely no less than BRUTAL.

If you want your channel to do well you post the videos on Reddit but you have to be prepared for a barrage of comments which you can’t delete on Reddit but can delete on YouTube.

It cut off as as you were about to have words, it looks like. 

I got hit by a car yesterday. Was very blessed to more or less ride away.

Car randomy and sharply swung into the cycling lane, to get a car spot i think. There was no road intersection coming up so didn't expect it would happen there. Cleaned me up very nicely straight into the passenger door, I had no chance.

Be careful out there, and always assume everyone can't see you and is capable of whatever!

Brunswick Rd in Melbourne for the locals.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

It cut off as as you were about to have words, it looks like. 

Quite the contrary to be honest.  I generally would never speak to a driver and if it did need to happen, I never raise my voice, get abusive or swear at them.   Because I’m commuting at the same time every day, I come across the same cars, pedestrians and bikes every day, so it would be silly to arc up and have to see that person every other day.  You never know, they might deliberately run you over the next time!

I learnt a lot when I joined the police as that guy you abuse might actually be carrying a hammer and is ready to use it on your head and is probably on bail and does not care for your life one little bit!

11 hours ago, BC_J400 said:

I learnt a lot when I joined the police as that guy you abuse might actually be carrying a hammer and is ready to use it on your head and is probably on bail and does not care for your life one little bit!

Hammer, or maybe a gun.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/sydney-road-rage-incident-blacktown-dash-cam-video-crime-news-nsw-australia/2cee8af7-ce09-47a7-9e58-193da477edaa

21 hours ago, BC_J400 said:

Quite the contrary to be honest.  I generally would never speak to a driver and if it did need to happen, I never raise my voice, get abusive or swear at them.   Because I’m commuting at the same time every day, I come across the same cars, pedestrians and bikes every day, so it would be silly to arc up and have to see that person every other day.  You never know, they might deliberately run you over the next time!

Some very wise words here!

• Like 1

On 06/06/2019 at 7:45 AM, dazaau said:

I got hit by a car yesterday. Was very blessed to more or less ride away.

Car randomy and sharply swung into the cycling lane, to get a car spot i think. There was no road intersection coming up so didn't expect it would happen there. Cleaned me up very nicely straight into the passenger door, I had no chance.

Be careful out there, and always assume everyone can't see you and is capable of whatever!

Brunswick Rd in Melbourne for the locals.

Crap news. Hope youre ok & of course .... your bike too

On 05/06/2019 at 2:21 PM, BC_J400 said:

#lovecommuting !!

Not defending their behaviour after you politely asked them to walk on the left side, but I don't understand why in Australia you're supposed to walk in the same direction as bike traffic. It normally makes more sense for walkers/joggers to walk/run on the right facing traffic (so that they can see what's coming their way). That's what I did when I first arrived in Australia but it didn't go down well with the locals so I stopped (and feel less safe on my runs now as a result). It's also actually to the cyclists' advantage if I walk/run on the right, it allows me to see them come and (if possible) move out of their way to the side of the path.

In your example, if they had been walking on the left, they would have blocked oncoming traffic instead of you, so not really a better situation overall anyway (just better for you).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DiaboloACT said:

It's also actually to the cyclists' advantage if I walk/run on the right, it allows me to see them come and (if possible) move out of their way to the side of the path.

That's assuming you move out of the way. As per BCJ's example, a hell of a lot of people don't.

11 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That's assuming you move out of the way. As per BCJ's example, a hell of a lot of people don't.

I run on a MUP to get to the trails , it's very popular with walkers, dog walkers, recreational cyclists etc.  I always run on the right because every time I've run on the left I get buzzed by complete cockheads on commuter bikes that rise way to fast and don't bother letting anyone know they are there.  Either that, or they are riding flat out, ring their bell and expect everyone to jump out of their way whilst not making any effort to adjust their speed at all.

i'd rather see those knob jockeys coming!

• Like 1