trilobite

Spouses’ attitudes to triathlon

13 minutes ago, AA7 said:

You take the cats training with you?

If they are anything like most cats they are probably protesting the removal of a warm body from the bed, and the discomfort of having their reclining supports (legs etc) leave.

1 hour ago, more said:

During the week we typically are in bed by 8pm, asleep by 8:30/9 so early starts arent to much of a problem.

I assume you typically finish work before 5pm, don’t have to add a significant commute to that and/or don’t have kids evening routine to take care of???

1 hour ago, dazaau said:

If they are anything like most cats they are probably protesting the removal of a warm body from the bed, and the discomfort of having their reclining supports (legs etc) leave.

nailed it.

• Thanks 1

Combining your job and hobby into one would have it's advantages.

Do a long ride & run with the squad on Saturday & Sunday and you can tell everyone you work 7 days a week & still manage to KQ.

Then you could also claim the trip to Kona as a work expense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

You take the cats training with you?

she could probably do with it.

IMG_5385.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, trilobite said:

I assume you typically finish work before 5pm, don’t have to add a significant commute to that and/or don’t have kids evening routine to take care of???

Nope, I normally finish around 6, home by 6:30ish.  Flip side is Mrs leaves for work early so i have to finish my training in the mornings generally by 6:30am. So if I sleep in the session is wiped out, no ifs buts or excuses. Which makes swimming tough....if only there were 24 hour pools....

Mrs gets home before me and gets the dinner ready, so as soon as I get home we eat.Then wash up, read books etc. We basically don't waste any time watching telly but that's o.k cos as far as I can tell its all crap anyway..

To this point, my wife has been exceptionally supportive of anything that I throw myself into, whether it be volleyball, road cycling, obstacle course racing, or triathlon. Normally she follows me around but she's yet to get herself into triathlon. Before she fell pregnant, she was coming along on my training rides and runs and has always shared a swim session with me. She quite enjoys the travel and the social side of supporting with my triathlon club and genuinely enjoys being a part of my racing and seeing all of the hours come to fruition on race day. I'm averaging around 10-11 hours per week, and do my training early in the morning to minimise impact with my 8-5 job and also my PT work that I do in the mornings and evening. I'm up at 430 on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday to train, and my Saturday runs incorporate ParkRun so that's not too bad. I limit night time training to Wednesday and Friday night swims, but I'm usually home by 830.

During the pregnancy, she has dialled back the running and cycling as her body required but still comes swimming with me. Even with the twins onboard, she's still swimming 2:20/100m but is limited in the distance that she can swim before she gets tired. She's swimming about 500m at a time before having to rest for a bit. We're also still deciding as to whether or not she's technically a human submarine, but we'll let you know what we come back with. :D

We had a chat last night about how to manage things once the twins arrive and it will be a case of trying to work out which sessions are key to my ability to do the 70.3 on the Sunshine Coast, and which sessions are essentially just kms in the legs. I'll be having a look at which sessions I can modify to reduce the time training, but I have my bike setup on Zwift and my neighbour has a treadmill so it'll really only be the swimming where I'm away from home. She wants me to keep training and wants me to race, but it just depends on how I can shuffle it around nap times and whatnot. If it happens, it happens. If not, so be it. After that, I might just drop back to do the local QTS races at Raby Bay where I can only train with a relatively low volume and still have a bit of fun.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, trilobite said:

I'm going to make the assumption that there are quite a lot of people who do not live in Sydney here, or if they do, they live closer to work.

FWIW, I used to work in the CBD and commute from the lower mountains daily (my jobs did not have a lot of work from home benefits). My training time mid-week was limited, so I had to make the weekends work for me (lucky I do not have kids).

Wakeup was by 6am, in the office by 8.30am (with an almost 90min commute) try to finish at 5pm (but I just love software developers as they have a habit of rolling up at 10 and working late, so I would have to stay late sometimes). Get to the gym around 7pm, then workout for an hour at the most, home, eat and in bed by 9.30pm. My doctor also told me to not train within 2 hours of bed time as I used to complain about not getting sleep.

Some nights I would not go at all, the usual train delays on the western line would kill any enthusiasm and also waking time. Gotta love a 2 hour + commute to Penrith!

My wife doesn't do the sport (thank god!) but she's super supportive. Since the birth of our son 3+ years ago, I've limited my training to one session a day, in the mornings. But it is considered a given, and there was rarely any negotiations about skipping a session. Couple of group sessions during the week, but the weekend long miles are pretty much on my own - keeps it predictable with timing (unless I have a puncture or bonk). I was doing triathlons and started getting into the longer distances when we met so I guess that helps too.

On the flip side, she often works (at home) on the weekends so in the afternoons it's my turn to take the kid out for ice cream, to the swim pool etc. 

11 minutes ago, MissJess said:

I'm going to make the assumption that there are quite a lot of people who do not live in Sydney

Hell no! I was once offered a promotion that involved moving to Sydney-there was no amount of money that could get me to make that move!

Just now, BarryBevan said:

Has anyone moved onto their second spouse since doing triathlon 

Or subsequent.......

18 minutes ago, BNothling said:

To this point, my wife has been exceptionally supportive of anything that I throw myself into, whether it be volleyball, road cycling, obstacle course racing, or triathlon. Normally she follows me around but she's yet to get herself into triathlon. Before she fell pregnant, she was coming along on my training rides and runs and has always shared a swim session with me. She quite enjoys the travel and the social side of supporting with my triathlon club and genuinely enjoys being a part of my racing and seeing all of the hours come to fruition on race day. I'm averaging around 10-11 hours per week, and do my training early in the morning to minimise impact with my 8-5 job and also my PT work that I do in the mornings and evening. I'm up at 430 on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday to train, and my Saturday runs incorporate ParkRun so that's not too bad. I limit night time training to Wednesday and Friday night swims, but I'm usually home by 830.

During the pregnancy, she has dialled back the running and cycling as her body required but still comes swimming with me. Even with the twins onboard, she's still swimming 2:20/100m but is limited in the distance that she can swim before she gets tired. She's swimming about 500m at a time before having to rest for a bit. We're also still deciding as to whether or not she's technically a human submarine, but we'll let you know what we come back with. :D

We had a chat last night about how to manage things once the twins arrive and it will be a case of trying to work out which sessions are key to my ability to do the 70.3 on the Sunshine Coast, and which sessions are essentially just kms in the legs. I'll be having a look at which sessions I can modify to reduce the time training, but I have my bike setup on Zwift and my neighbour has a treadmill so it'll really only be the swimming where I'm away from home. She wants me to keep training and wants me to race, but it just depends on how I can shuffle it around nap times and whatnot. If it happens, it happens. If not, so be it. After that, I might just drop back to do the local QTS races at Raby Bay where I can only train with a relatively low volume and still have a bit of fun.

Twins! Congratulations :) I would prepare myself for very, very little training in the first while and mentally park any dreams of competitive racing for 6 months. That would go for one baby, two is definitely overdrive ;) I'm not suggesting you stop training entirely but the sessions will likely be fewer and shorter, and you will be much, much tireder. And your wife will likely need a great deal more support.

But anthing is possible. 

Edited by dazaau
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

she could probably do with it.

IMG_5385.jpg

Burmese?  Exactly where mine lies if I let her into the bed with me!

She has tolerated, threatened divorce (2005), argued, not spoken, allowed triathlon in our house for 31 years. She has never seen an actual race, although watched me run by at Forster when she was drinking a bourbon on the balcony.

The last few years the issue has mellowed a bit. She has come to the location many times but does her own thing. She never gets excited and doesn't like talking about triathlon to me (shrugs her shoulders - whatever) ......however............ I have heard her talk to people and say, "oh yes, we are going to the Ironman. My husband's an Ironman. Michael does triathons" etc. Happy to tell and talk about it to everyone, except me.

Late last year, I asked her if she wanted to go on a holiday. I said:-

* Did you want to do the cruise in Hawaii ? (oh yes, totally excited, on her bucket list)

* Did you want to have a week in Waikiki beforehand ??(busting out - yes, yes, yes, )

* Well, how about we do that but go four days earlier and I do the HIM in Kona. You can also have a look at the big Isle, volcano, etc.

"Nup, don't want to go"..........:wallbash:

Strange...................

FM   

Edited by Flanman
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

37 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Can't handle the one I have, trying to keep up with two would be a nightmare.................

Reading everyone's post has given me a greater appreciation for everything she does for me.

I'm also really lucky with the support I get from my daughter. Sometimes the support comes with a back handed dig. "Dad, I have put together a stretching routine for you. At your age it's important to stretch"

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, more said:

Nope, I normally finish around 6, home by 6:30ish.  Flip side is Mrs leaves for work early so i have to finish my training in the mornings generally by 6:30am. So if I sleep in the session is wiped out, no ifs buts or excuses. Which makes swimming tough....if only there were 24 hour pools....

Mrs gets home before me and gets the dinner ready, so as soon as I get home we eat.Then wash up, read books etc. We basically don't waste any time watching telly but that's o.k cos as far as I can tell its all crap anyway..

I (perhaps inaccurately) read this is saying you have a ~1/2 hour commute, get home with dinner ready for you and can fall asleep ~2 hours later (I assume no homework or bedtime stories for little people are involved).

This merely reinforces my point that the “just do it early” suggestion is championed by those who don’t have commutes and responsibilities for children to take care of.

On 26/05/2019 at 11:47 AM, Peter said:

My conclusion is that people that work long hours and have a family and do ironman are extremely selfish at the expense of their family.  

Not necessarily. I trained a lot before everyone got up - including the sun. Running or riding on the indoor trainer @ 3- 4am for a number of hours. I remember doing three hours on the trainer outside in the dark on the balcony then a couple of hours on the road when the sun came up. All done by 9am just in time for the family and home chores. 

One swimming night was the only thing that interfered with the family. All the rest were done at lunchtime.

I was also doing Uni by correspondence. It was either sleep or study on the train to/from work.

FM

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Twins! Congratulations :) I would prepare myself for very, very little training in the first while and mentally park any dreams of competitive racing for 6 months. That would go for one baby, two is definitely overdrive ;) I'm not suggesting you stop training entirely but the sessions will likely be fewer and shorter, and you will be much, much tireder. And your wife will likely need a great deal more support.

But anything is possible. 

Thanks mate. We're stoked. Long story short, we weren't thinking that we would be able to have kids at all, then it turned into a situation where if we were able to, we would only have one shot at it. So to find out it was twins was a real miracle.

I'll definitely be swapping some longer training for intervals and that sort of thing, but I won't know for sure until they're here and we know what we're dealing with.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, trilobite said:

I (perhaps inaccurately) read this is saying you have a ~1/2 hour commute, get home with dinner ready for you and can fall asleep ~2 hours later (I assume no homework or bedtime stories for little people are involved).

This merely reinforces my point that the “just do it early” suggestion is championed by those who don’t have commutes and responsibilities for children to take care of.

I am lucky with the commute only being around 30 mins, but I still manage to squeeze everything in. I get our little fella ready for bed, brush teeth, read book etc. Look at it this way-I'm home by 6:30, dinner finished by 6:50ish and washed up by around 7. I am lucky though with a close commute and dinners ready when I get home etc.

Even if we didn't go to bed until 9 that still leaves 2 hours to sit around, talk, read books, brush teeth etc-that's oodles of time. So I can still wake up at 5am and get 8 hours sleep.

This is all very loose though-I'm not anal about time frames. If one night blows out and I'm dead tired in the morning (like today) I just don't train. Simple.

I reckon where some people may fall down is TV-its so easy to blow an hour just flicking through crap. The again I blow hours flicking through crap on the internet..

9 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Thanks mate. We're stoked. Long story short, we weren't thinking that we would be able to have kids at all, then it turned into a situation where if we were able to, we would only have one shot at it. So to find out it was twins was a real miracle.

I'll definitely be swapping some longer training for intervals and that sort of thing, but I won't know for sure until they're here and we know what we're dealing with.

That's fantastic. They will be great growing up together! Very happy for you. And you are right, it's hard to know until they arrive and they are all different. As long as your expectations are low and you are flexible you'll do great 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MissJess said:

I'm going to make the assumption that there are quite a lot of people who do not live in Sydney here, or if they do, they live closer to work.

Used to Live in Hornsby and work in Bridge street.  Door to door was 1:15.

I now live in Melb and get to work in the city within 19 minutes.  Door to door.

I did the 1:15 each way (usually longer going home) for 10 years.

It's like I have a whole new life down here. I wouldnt move back for even 4x my current wage. (Might consider at 5x.  lol)

up to 15 hours a week its okay, over 15 and its the rest required which impacts.

Though this year, I'd ride on Saturday, give the kids lunch then go down to the pool and splash around the kids pool for an hour or two, ice cream then home for naps.

Sunday was a 2 to three hour aerobic ride done before they get up, key is not running long on a weekend

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 11:47 AM, Peter said:

My conclusion is that people that work long hours and have a family and do ironman are extremely selfish at the expense of their family.

Ironman itself can be a very selfish sport, especially if your partner and kids aren't into it.  But if it's your only vice and you don't also over indulge in TV, Video Games, Social Media or other activities that detract from spending time with your family then it can still work in a happy well balanced relationship.  I think it's just important to be aware of the time and effort you put into your sporting interest and make sure that it doesn't impact on your family if they are important to you.

In my case it's not me going out training that upsets my wife, as she's always encouraging me to get out and do more consistent and effective training, but it's the amount of time I spend on social media.  I don't usually tend to do anything on my phone during the day, but I do enjoy pulling out my laptop as soon as I get home and get my regular update of Facebook, Transitions and anything else that keeps me updated with what's been happening in the world.  I have been fairly slack with Transitions lately, but I do usually enjoy it when I spend the time to get on here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

I have. Hard for me to comment about the old Mrs F. She was very focused on her netball and that includes the admin side of the local association. She seemed to not mind me doing Ironman but took little interest. The new Mrs F liked to run and then decided to get involved in triathlon as she got bored watching me at races. Now I am training hard to keep in front of her (just).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BNothling said:

once the twins arrive 

Congrats.

Mine were born last week monday. During our fortnightly scans the doctor was giving me the percentage chance they'd still be on the inside by the time Port came around. Made it by 2 weeks 🙂

Partner was interested for a while and did a few sprints and an OD, but has lost interest in training. She is still willing to talk about it if I want to, and comes to all races (with the most recent an exception). Training while she was pregnant worked well - she was happy to sleep in and get up at the same time I was getting back from a long ride or run.

Edited by toolex
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, toolex said:

Mine were born last week monday. During our fortnightly scans the doctor was giving me the percentage chance they'd still be on the inside by the time Port came around. Made it by 2 weeks 🙂.

Congratulations! How long did they hang out for? We are 34+1 at the moment so not long now!

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Used to Live in Hornsby and work in Bridge street.  Door to door was 1:15.

I now live in Melb and get to work in the city within 19 minutes.  Door to door.

I did the 1:15 each way (usually longer going home) for 10 years.

It's like I have a whole new life down here. I wouldnt move back for even 4x my current wage. (Might consider at 5x.  lol)

Do you ever miss having those rides on your doorstep? I know I do.

And for me, the trail running also.

Though my current commute is 3 minutes from home to office. And that includes picking up keys from the key safe, changing into my boots, putting my bag in my locker and putting my lunch in the fridge.

Edited by Paul Every

7 hours ago, BNothling said:

........... but it just depends on how I can shuffle it around nap times ........

That has always been a priority for me.......and I don't have kids. :sleep1:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Interesting topic.

My spouse and I seem to have come to an unstated agreement - if we're going to "holiday" with me doing "triathlon" - I'm paying for it all. I think this is probably fair enough. 

Spouse doesn't seem to mind me doing it - though sometimes there is a few heated conversations about me not spending enough time with her...but I guess I just need to be a bit more proactive in planning "us" time :)

6 hours ago, Flanman said:

Late last year, I asked her if she wanted to go on a holiday. I said:-

* Did you want to do the cruise in Hawaii ? (oh yes, totally excited, on her bucket list)

* Did you want to have a week in Waikiki beforehand ??(busting out - yes, yes, yes, )

* Well, how about we do that but go four days earlier and I do the HIM in Kona. You can also have a look at the big Isle, volcano, etc.

"Nup, don't want to go"..........:wallbash:

Strange...................

FM   

I've done plenty overseas races and without exception, they've all had a holiday built around them. The racing and the time associated with it has always been a small part of the trip.

Although the race (or races) have so often been the impetus for going away, it's rarely the race that we talk about when we look back on the holiday. It's all the other places we went, things we did or saw together that really count. That's what fills the photo albums.

I've always thought it was only fair that's it's as much my partner's holiday as it is mine.

Admittedly, that's far easier without having to accommodate kids.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Do you ever miss having those rides on your doorstep? I know I do.

And for me, the trail running also.

Bloody oath I miss it. 

I miss the morning rides thru bobbin head. 

I miss the weekend rides up mt white. 

I miss the running down the Sphinx track and thru Bobbin or around Akuna bay. 

I miss hills. 

I don’t not miss weekday commuting. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

Bloody oath I miss it. 

I miss hills. 

And of course Sydney has since become much busier for commuting, even by PT.

As much as enjoyed some of the cycle commuting I did in Sydney over the years, I look back on those routes now and wouldn't consider doing them, much less actually enjoying them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Peter said:

Bloody oath I miss it. 

I miss hills. 

Move to radelaide we have it all with out the traffic. 

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

I miss hills.

100% with you.

So missing the long curvy descents and the beautiful climbs.

Now days I only use my small chainring when there's a headwind. :cry:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

The rides that Peter mentions are really good in regards to traffic.

Though I do have fond memories of cycling Mt Lofty, etc around Adelaide and would have always moved there with little hesitation had the right job come up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

The rides that Peter mentions are really good in regards to traffic.

Though I do have fond memories of cycling Mt Lofty, etc around Adelaide and would have always moved there with little hesitation had the right job come up.

My weekly bunch ride includes a lofty loop most weeks. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

And the jobs?

We're at 34 weeks too for our first!!!! Gulp... I don't think either of us quite know what we're in for, but very exciting and congrats to the other new parents on here!!!

Partner-wise it's worked well for us, handily the other half does Ironman and Marathons too (up until baby's arrival anyway) so we either train and race together, and she's more than happy for me to train and race whilst she does other stuff...

Our household works pretty well as she works longer hours, earns more than me, loves her job and I'll do the majority of the housework, cooking etc to earn brownie points! 🙂

• Like 1

As far as getting up early to do sessions, I haven't done that for several years.  I've always been a poor sleeper and we have always had a fairly active social life which often involves later nights so I tend to sleep in as late as I can whenever I can as I think I need the sleep and recovery more than I need the training.  I've also always considered the hours of sleep between 4.00am and 6.00am to be my best and most valuable so am not prepared to forsake that for a bit of extra training.  The only exception might be if my mates talk me into summiting a mountain by daybreak or some other silly but magnificent challenge like that, but that's the exception not the rule.

Having been through all stages of triathlon life, from single full time trainer to having a partner that did tris with me, to then married and finally 2 kids, I honestly don’t think you can do work, family and training properly unless you have a very accommodating job or are self employed (I’ve had both).

You may pretend it is ok for a while like I did but it will not be something that can be sustained over time. Waking up just before 4 to be out for a ride and back by 6ish to help kids get ready, stay switched on and performing at work, and then back to dinner and bed time routine, plus spend quality time with your partner - rinse and repeat - is not an easy ask and while it can be done you will always feel like something is being compromised (usually sleep which is in itself counter productive to the training). 

Also in my case my energy and focus changes so I tend to ebb and flow from training mode often which is good and bad at the same time. Good because it gives time for family and work to get more attention and bad because every “come back” is a hard slog.

Edited by Rog
  • Like 4

On 26/05/2019 at 12:39 PM, Youngy2 said:

My hubby liked the sleep in's when I would get up early and train -- then he started riding with me for part of my training -- then all of my rides. Then he started swimming with me and then running...now he does just about everything with me. 

Now 12 years later from when I started,   and he is lining up in Cairns for his 4th Ironman.

He starts work at 7am and works 10 hour days -- so we get up at 4am most mornings and finish by 6.30am at the latest

This is what I am praying for.

Dazz has started running and cycling but it comes and goes. One week he'll do 3-4 sessions a week but currently he hasn't done anything for 10 days 😟

On 26/05/2019 at 5:41 PM, goughy said:

We need @Cranky to chime in here!  Or Daz!

I'm usually 2 x 3:30am, 4 x 4-5am.

But trying to cut down a bit over winter. And be more present at home,  for the sake of my marriage. I've managed to do 1 or 2 sessions in the afternoons while my girls skip. That's helped reduce the severity of the early early mornings.  I'm also going to start a 9am Saturday swim squad to replace 1 of the 4am starts. And I'm going to drop back to 2 swims, maybe, over winter, and start the 4am at 4:15 instead. 

I've also realised that I need to be more present when I'm at home.

18 hours ago, The new guy said:

- but now its been a few weeks since Port I have to admit to myself how much more fun Im having with my kids, not down to more time with them, but down the the fact Im not exhausted when Im with them.  I may have been attending family time, but I wasn't fully present.

This

7 hours ago, Rog said:

Having been through all stages of triathlon life, from single full time trainer to having a partner that did tris with me, to then married and finally 2 kids, I honestly don’t think you can do work, family and training properly unless you have a very accommodating job or are self employed.

You may pretend it is ok for a while like I did but it will not be something that can be sustained over time. Also in my case my energy and focus changes so I tend to ebb and flow from training mode often which is good and bad at the same time. Good because it gives time for family and work to get more attention and bad because every “come back” is a hard slog early on.   

I'm lucky that I don't need to be back in the door until 7am, out by 7:45am, 15 min commute with the girls and no school drop off needed.  Kids, and my, lunches and bags packed the night before. Washing gets put on before my session, hung out after my session, brought in by Dazz as he is home before me. He also does dinner most nights (and packs the leftovers for my lunch), then I'll wash up and put away. Most meals are ones where you can make extra and freeze. Then he chills while I do stories and bed, and put away the washing that he brought in. Girls are 8 and 10 years old (next week) but they are still I'm bed by around 7, eyes closed before 7:30pm, except for the occasional exception. Then we're in bed usually by 7:30/8pm. Sleep by 8:30pm.

Groceries are done by Dazz or I parcel pick up (I place the order whilst on recovery intervals on the trainer).

All bike training is on the trainer

All run training is from my door, or the skipping door. 

Swim training is 1 x week at school (up until next week cause the pool is closing for winter),  others are a 15 minute drive. 

Most social media is done on the trainer,  or waiting somewhere. I don't set aside time for it. 

I never take a lunch break.  I work and eat. I do finish early though. 2:40pm. But Mondays we have meetings till 4:15, then swim for an hour, then home by 5:30/6pm.

Tuesdays,  a 40 minute drive to a 90 min skipping training session for the girls during which I can run then pick up groceries from parcel pick up and usually time left over for social media. Home by 5:45pm.

Wednesdays I work until 3:30 then repeat the above except skipping is only 60 mins. Home by 5:15pm.

Thursdays the girls get a lift to skipping with another parent so I usually work later till 5pm. Then a bit of Dazz time until the girls get home at 6pm.

Fridays we are out the door by 3pm and chill at home.

Saturday is park run with the family. I then clean the house while Dazz works and then family time for the rest of the day. Even if that means sitting on the couch with or without each other, or catching up with extended family. 

Sunday a session in the morning then family time. 

I'm lucky Dazz has flexible hours where he can work from home most afternoons and I have school teacher hours. 

• Like 2

My wife is very good about my training, and I can fit in a fair bit when ramping up for an event by riding to work (1.5hrs each way) and running (even the occasional swim) at lunch time. Then it's just big rides and runs on the weekend (up early).

But even for a 70.3 that means less time at home in one way or another (leave earlier, get home later) and even though I'm done by 10am on a Saturday my wife would rather I stayed home. Whether you admit it or not training hard and getting up early takes energy out of you. That means less for other things. There is no doubt long course training affects those around you.

So while she is very supportive, comes to races and is proud of me, she doesn't understand why I do i to myself - and is happy when the big builds are over with. I also got much more renovating done when training less (being unfit).

Now there is a baby it may get much harder to fit in long course training come the on season and harder to justify being away from the family. For a while I might just focus on riding, or running? I don't see an Ironman anytime soon, and I'm fine with that.

Triathlon is a time intensive and somewhat selfish sport, unless you have a equally obsessed partner you can't train with them and while most people understand exercise is important they start to lose you at 4hr ride with 90 min run off the back. That's just silly 😉 And that's just 70.3.

And while you think your super fit skinny Ironman frame is awesome others think/say you look gaunt or sick (not my wife, though I think she prefers me well above race weight), and I'm sure deep down makes others less comfortable with their own figure. 

So in Summary a fair bit of cost to those around you. Hopefully my being happy when fit provides a positive externality to negate some of that cost :) 

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Burmese?  Exactly where mine lies if I let her into the bed with me!

yep burmese. 

I just like fitting lots into life...

I don't really care if it's training and racing, renovating houses, going on holidays, having quality family time or whatever... but I do like fitting as much into life as I can.  At the moment I'm at a bit of a loss and don't have any real direction, but I'm sure I'll sort it out and get back on track shortly.  In the meantime I'll try and spend some quality time with my significant others.

PS - If anyone's got any ideas for any affordable and achievable adventures then let me know.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

up to 15 hours a week its okay, over 15 and its the rest required which impacts.

Though this year, I'd ride on Saturday, give the kids lunch then go down to the pool and splash around the kids pool for an hour or two, ice cream then home for naps.

Sunday was a 2 to three hour aerobic ride done before they get up, key is not running long on a weekend

I am finding about 14 -15 hours a week I can keep the family commitments and partner commitments all balanced. I have a pretty good routine that helps that happen and also there isn't a surprise for the misses. If I try find more hours it seems to turn to shit on me pretty quick and I cant get up super early every  day as with 2 kids under 3 I don't get amazing sleep and also If I went to bed at 9pm every night that's impacts on the misses too much also as we just don't get any time together.  My partner main request is that when I am with the family I am present in whats going on and that's hard when I am tired from training or trying to follow a mate do a race on live tracker, but she is right in that regard and its an area I am focused on improving.

Edited by Gilliga
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Go Easy said:

PS - If anyone's got any ideas for any affordable and achievable adventures then let me know.

As the grand kids are getting older, it is almost time to be a coach or manager of a sports team (or playgroup attendee).

FM

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BNothling said:

Congratulations! How long did they hang out for? We are 34+1 at the moment so not long now!

Born at 34  + 1 because one was hogging the placenta. 2.5kg and 1.75kg but the same length, so the smaller one is a scrawny little guy. Hanging out in neonatal for a few weeks while they develop/improve their sucking instinct and muscles.

Wife is now learning what it's like to get up early after years of sleeping in :-)

• Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 2:19 PM, Bored@work said:

Can't handle the one I have, trying to keep up with two would be a nightmare.................

Reading everyone's post has given me a greater appreciation for everything she does for me.

I'm also really lucky with the support I get from my daughter. Sometimes the support comes with a back handed dig. "Dad, I have put together a stretching routine for you. At your age it's important to stretch"

Now my wife is just showing off. She just delivered me a fresh donut & cup of coffee to work.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

Now my wife is just showing off. She just delivered me a fresh donut & cup of coffee to work.

CDF29B22-EE1F-4749-82FA-30436649EA23.png