Peter

Are you a failure if you don't do Kona?

Are you a failure if you don't do Kona?  

36 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Are you a failure if you don't do Kona?

• Yes
    • No

On 26/05/2019 at 2:38 PM, Slunnie said:

The holy grail is enjoyment

Not sure enjoyment is the feeling I experience during a Triathlon. I would probably find a different past time if enjoyment was my first priority. For me it is satisfaction, a sense of personal achievement.

Obviously Kona is the ultimate sense of achievement for a lot of Triathletes.  But I still don't see it as a 'Failure' if you never go.

Note that I do enjoy a lot of the training.

Ask me on the 13th of October.

While wearing my Kona finisher shirt, jacket, hat and tat I will explain how you are all a bunch of failures. Of course I won't mention that I was a legacy athlete or that the winner of my age group beat me by 3+ hours or that I was the last one out of the swim. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

While wearing my Kona finisher shirt, jacket, hat and tat I will explain how you are all a bunch of failures. Of course I won't mention that I was a legacy athlete or that the winner of my age group beat me by 3+ hours or that I was the last one out of the swim. 😀

Make sure the local rag runs a half page on how you are going over to represent Australia at the World Championships.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Make sure the local rag runs a half page on how you are going over to represent Australia at the World Championships.

Don't forget to mention you have raced Kona if you ever sell your house. I know when I'm looking to buy I always want to know the previous owner has raced Kona. 

Also try & get number plates like Ironman or Kona so everyone knows.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Also try & get number plates like Ironman or Kona so everyone knows.

I am NOT replacing my Rottnest Island Channel Swim number plates!

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The last time my local rag ran a page on some one going to a Triathlon world champs the guy looked about 8 months pregnant wearing his tri suit. His gut was touching the top bar of his bike.

Compared to the serious guys at Kona I will only look about 3 months pregnant.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

What the difference between half a page on that, talking about triathlon, or the 6 page liftout on the local footy game in a small town where it's farmers playing on the weekend ? Or the netball feature on mothers and daughters having a chuck? 

There are some nasty petty egos on this site about those who just participate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turts said:

What the difference between half a page on that, talking about triathlon, or the 6 page liftout on the local footy game in a small town where it's farmers playing on the weekend ? Or the netball feature on mothers and daughters having a chuck? 

Couldn't find a fishing emoji but Ex has caught a good one here...

2 minutes ago, pieman said:

Yeah right, got me. 

I give up. I'm a reasonable real person, and don't just post stuff to get reactions from others. 

Transitions. Welcoming to non elites.  Willie should change the by-line. 

I'm out. 

21 minutes ago, pieman said:

Hah I don't think Ex was trolling. It's not his style. He was taking the piss out of Ironnerd & the Kona groupies. Kona not being a real world champs etc 

12 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Please it was my 19th Ironman...........

Yep. I put in on when I get given it. I thought all the cool kids did it! Oh... and about to do no. 28.

Edited by IronmanFoz

19 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

18 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Don't forget to start your GoFundMe campaign to help fund your representation of Australia at a world championship event!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Yep. I put in on when I get given it. I thought all the cool kids did it! Oh... and about to do no. 28.

Are you racing Cairns?

12 hours ago, Turts said:

Because one isn't trying to pretend it's something that it's not.  Rocking up to a roll down ceremony where there are more spots than people and handing over your credit card takes no skill or real effort.  The end result might be cool to the person doing it but it's not something special to anyone else.

As for your last comment, you only have to read the response to your efforts in the UTA thread or late in the IM raceday threads to know that's bullshit.  Someone doing a less than mediocre effort on poor training thinking that they should be considered the same as someone who had busted their arse consistently for a good result is the ego.  Humility is shunning the paper, the go-fund-me page and the look-at-me social media and admitting they're crap but they do it because they enjoy it.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Stikman said:

As for your last comment, you only have to read the response to your efforts in the UTA thread or late in the IM raceday threads to know that's bullshit.  Someone doing a less than mediocre effort on poor training thinking that they should be considered the same as someone who had busted their arse consistently for a good result is the ego.  Humility is shunning the paper, the go-fund-me page and the look-at-me social media and admitting they're crap but they do it because they enjoy it.

I said SOME - not all. 

And assuming you are talking about me with the rest, you have it wrong. It was extreme effort on compromised training.   I fully own the fact I'm crap, but I enjoy it anyway.  I never said my effort was the same as the folks who win or do it 19 hrs quicker.  

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Are you racing Cairns?

Yep. Last minute decision with a couple of mates.

Have told wife and kids this is all about me and I am going to neglect them for 5 days hence...... school and uni exams for them and work for the wife. 

Will be the 2nd Ironman they have not attended since 1992 (2000 for the kids).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Yep. Last minute decision with a couple of mates.

Have told wife and kids this is all about me and I am going to neglect them for 5 days hence...... school and uni exams for them and work for the wife. 

Will be the 2nd Ironman they have not attended since 1992 (2000 for the kids).

My wife & daughter will be there & have no Ironman to support. So you can have them. They are used to supporting a middle aged bald man. 

Can u do me a favor & finish around the 12hr mark. I don’t want them being spoilt with sub11ht time 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

My wife & daughter will be there & have no Ironman to support. So you can have them. They are used to supporting a middle aged bald man. 

Can u do me a favor & finish around the 12hr mark. I don’t want them being spoilt with sub11ht time 

I think you mean middle aged bald men that should have given up years ago! I think they are safe.

19 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

I think you mean middle aged bald men that should have given up years ago! I think they are safe.

Being retired is awesome. I woke up at 7am & couoldn't be stuffed getting on the trainer. So I ate toast (I know carbs, I'll get fat) & drank coffee while talking crap with my daughter before school.

Apparently one of the kids parents just purchased a McLaren.

8 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Apparently one of the kids parents just purchased a McLaren.

The white one?

Damn GE, I've run out of "likes" for the day!

53 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

So I ate toast (I know carbs, I'm already fat)

:P

i know I know Glass houses and all that

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Some people in this forum should work in politics

Nope, look at the disaster that occurred last time one of us did

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

I think may have been the last official finisher.

Thanks for the post GE - really appreciate it. 

I was definitely the last finisher, but around half an hour. 

But as you said, 20% that started didn't finish.  Thats a high attrition rate for any event.  But when you have to be fairly well in the know of how hard it's going to be to even start, there aren't exactly too many surprises. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

Hmmm...  Given that I'm probably the most vocal supporter of Turt's recent efforts in the UTA 100km Trail Run, then I guess I'll comment here.

Firstly, I've only met Cath a couple of times and on each occasion she has been very generous with her time and equipment.  I really admire people who give up their own time to assist others.  Sure they probably also get enjoyment out of it themselves, but it's still admirable.  Cath spent many hours volunteering to help others in the days leading up to her race.

I've never heard Cath suggest that her efforts are in any way greater than anyone else's, but I have heard her say that she is  very determined and she is prepared to give things a go.  She certainly did that!

The UTA 100 is a fairly difficult event to finish, I would rate it more difficult than any Ironman I have ever done.  Cath came about 1100th and I think may have been the last official finisher.  There were also 245 people who didn't finish, so if finishing was the goal then she was ahead of them.  While I agree this does not make Cath an Elite Trail Runner, it also does not make her 'crap' at it either.  Personally I think your comments are incredibly rude.  Cath is the first to admit that she does it because she enjoys it, and if the paper decides that they want to do a story on her achieving her goals, and believe that this may be of value to others, then why shouldn't she go along with it.  At worst it may be of no interest to it's readers, but at best it may be very motivational and it may actually change someone's life in a positive way.  No harm in that!

I may have read Stikmans post incorrectly but I assumed that he was saying Transitions is not 'anti-participation' and as evidence he pointed to a UTA post (which I haven't read) or late IM day posts which I assume both had supportive and congratulatory comments for finishers/ 'participants'  no matter what timeframe they finished in...

The newspaper article thing is interesting as all the articles up here about ELLE were all talking about her being a WC qualifier etc,talking about her whole journey and previous events, but nowhere mentioning she got an Ambassador spot for losing a shipload of weight and hadn't actually qualified for anything (except maybe a healthier life.). So based on that, I agree with his last sentence also...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pieman said:

I may have read Stikmans post incorrectly but I assumed that he was saying Transitions is not 'anti-participation' and as evidence he pointed to a UTA post (which I haven't read) or late IM day posts which I assume both had supportive and congratulatory comments for finishers/ 'participants'  no matter what timeframe they finished in...

The newspaper article thing is interesting as all the articles up here about ELLE were all talking about her being a WC qualifier etc,talking about her whole journey and previous events, but nowhere mentioning she got an Ambassador spot for losing a shipload of weight and hadn't actually qualified for anything (except maybe a healthier life.). So based on that, I agree with his last sentence also...

Exactly.  Katz and I were following Turts online throughout UTA hoping she'd get there.  Sanity would have suggested that when she posted three weeks out that she had just done her first run in 3 months (a 7km shuffle) she should probably not have toed the line at all and in doing so was risking an expensive chopper evac or putting others in the unpleasant or even dangerous position of getting her out.  Once she started though there was nothing but support.

And yes, Turts little tanti was in response to a post from Ex-H about exactly that sort of grandstanding.  People pretending to have achieved something that was effectively just given to them is exactly the type of narcissistic, ego-driven behaviour that she was accusing others of.  Nothing wrong with taking a spot if it's offered to you but don't pretend you did something special to earn it or that you are representing your country like you were singled out.  It's the antithesis of tall poppy syndrome and effectively lying.  For what it's worth I've never seen this sort of behaviour in her, just that she defends it in others and takes jokes about it as personal attacks.  I've met her a couple of times in Busso and she is every bit as nice in person as GE says.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Hmmm...  Given that I'm probably the most vocal supporter of Turt's recent efforts in the UTA 100km Trail Run, then I guess I'll comment here.

Firstly, I've only met Cath a couple of times and on each occasion she has been very generous with her time and equipment.  I really admire people who give up their own time to assist others.  Sure they probably also get enjoyment out of it themselves, but it's still admirable.  Cath spent many hours volunteering to help others in the days leading up to her race.

I've never heard Cath suggest that her efforts are in any way greater than anyone else's, but I have heard her say that she is  very determined and she is prepared to give things a go.  She certainly did that!

The UTA 100 is a fairly difficult event to finish, I would rate it more difficult than any Ironman I have ever done.  Cath came about 1100th and I think may have been the last official finisher.  There were also 245 people who didn't finish, so if finishing was the goal then she was ahead of them.  While I agree this does not make Cath an Elite Trail Runner, it also does not make her 'crap' at it either.  Personally I think your comments are incredibly rude.  Cath is the first to admit that she does it because she enjoys it, and if the paper decides that they want to do a story on her achieving her goals, and believe that this may be of value to others, then why shouldn't she go along with it.  At worst it may be of no interest to it's readers, but at best it may be very motivational and it may actually change someone's life in a positive way.  No harm in that!

1100 and last finisher. Who cares - job done. Most of my Ironmans are in the 10-12 hour range......and i’ll Be first to admit I couldn’t do the UTA100. Body cannot handle that type of run distance. Therefore she is a heap better than me!!!!

Congrats Turts/Cath. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Stikman said:

Exactly.  Katz and I were following Turts online throughout UTA hoping she'd get there.  Sanity would have suggested that when she posted three weeks out that she had just done her first run in 3 months (a 7km shuffle) she should probably not have toed the line at all and in doing so was risking an expensive chopper evac or putting others in the unpleasant or even dangerous position of getting her out.  Once she started though there was nothing but support.

And yes, Turts little tanti was in response to a post from Ex-H about exactly that sort of grandstanding.  People pretending to have achieved something that was effectively just given to them is exactly the type of narcissistic, ego-driven behaviour that she was accusing others of.  Nothing wrong with taking a spot if it's offered to you but don't pretend you did something special to earn it or that you are representing your country like you were singled out.  It's the antithesis of tall poppy syndrome and effectively lying.  For what it's worth I've never seen this sort of behaviour in her, just that she defends it in others and takes jokes about it as personal attacks.  I've met her a couple of times in Busso and she is every bit as nice in person as GE says.

Bit harsh don't you think? So, clearly you don't think it's harsh or you wouldn't have posted it.  Silly question. 

First bold bit.  A few facebook post reads doesn't make you an expert on my training or preparedness for this event.   I had wisely pulled out in my attempt in 2016 so I knew what was coming.  I wasn't risking anyone or a chopper ride out any more than a fully fit pro who rolls an ankle, or Truck, who is still the only chopper evac in the history of the race. 

Underlined bit.  Tanti?  Seriously? You have some odd ideas of what a tantrum is. 

Red bit.  I'm confused whether you are accusing me of doing the grandstanding, or accusing me of accusing others of doing the grandstanding. If the former, then so be it.   Yes, through Katz's facebook (you and I are not friends on Facebook) you must also have seen the article in my local paper. I don't consider it grandstanding.  No one JUST GAVE me a finish at UTA. If the latter, then please show me where I have accused others (in the negative way) of doing it.   Am I accusing others of doing it or defending others that do it?  You say both. 

The last green bit I agree with. 

Edited by Turts
I was in the car waiting when I started, but then had to leave
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Turts said:

Bit harsh don't you think? 

which part is harsh? I seriously cannot see where there is offence there...

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Stikman said:

Sanity would have suggested that when she posted three weeks out that she had just done her first run in 3 months (a 7km shuffle) she should probably not have toed the line at all and in doing so was risking an expensive chopper evac or putting others in the unpleasant or even dangerous position of getting her out.  Once she started though there was nothing but support..

Exactly why I’m not doing Ironman Cairns.

we have flights & accommodation booked but I won’t race. I’m in good enough form to ride a 5hr bike & probably still finish around 12hrs but I’m not putting my body under the stress of swimming & running on no training. 

3 hours ago, goughy said:

Damn GE, I've run out of "likes" for the day!

Hahaha... Thanks Goughy, but I don't say what I say to be 'liked'.

After being an observer of this site for quite a while, I finally joined about 10 years ago to rip into some people who were bagging some others about attending the Triathlon Age Group World Championships.  They were saying that 'these people' didn't deserve to be going to the AG World Champs...  I was saying that 'these people' didn't write the rules of what was required to get to the AG World Champs, they just did what was 'required'.  Since then, I've come & gone from this site a fair bit.  The Mental Health thread has been a major factor as to why I've hung around.

Transitions is a great community, and it can be especially good for the miss-fits amongst us who sometimes struggle to fit into mainstream society.  We are not all the same, and we sometimes have very different views (obviously) but what I especially like about the site is that it is usually fairly inclusive.  If I see something that goes against this then I'll usually try and call it out.  Unfortunately I don't spend as much time on here as I'd like to, and as a result I sometimes get the bull by the horns and say some stuff that I probably shouldn't, but so be it.  The only reason I'm on here now is that I'm currently off work, and my Doctors orders are that I am to rest.

2 hours ago, Turts said:

Thanks for the post GE - really appreciate it. 

Not a problem, but I know you don't need me to back you up.

Sometimes I've just got to say what I've got to say!

40 minutes ago, Turts said:

Bit harsh don't you think? So, clearly you don't think it's harsh or you wouldn't have posted it.  Silly question. 

First bold bit.  A few facebook post reads doesn't make you an expert on my training or preparedness for this event.   I had wisely pulled out in my attempt in 2016 so I knew what was coming.  I wasn't risking anyone or a chopper ride out any more than a fully fit pro who rolls an ankle, or Truck, who is still the only chopper evac in the history of the race. 

Underlined bit.  Tanti?  Seriously? You have some odd ideas of what a tantrum is. 

Red bit.  I'm confused whether you are accusing me of doing the grandstanding, or accusing me of accusing others of doing the grandstanding. If the former, then so be it.   Yes, through Katz's facebook (you and I are not friends on Facebook) you must also have seen the article in my local paper. I don't consider it grandstanding.  No one JUST GAVE me a finish at UTA. If the latter, then please show me where I have accused others (in the negative way) of doing it.   Am I accusing others of doing it or defending others that do it?  You say both. 

The last green bit I agree with. 

I haven't seen anything from you on FB before or since the race.  I'm no expert on your training, just reading what you've posted here in Trannies like everyone else can and assuming it is true.  You have a recent history of getting narky if anyone suggests that somebody is big-noting themselves about a qualification or achievement that is in reality quite unremarkable.  You accused others of big egos while defending people who have egos big enough to SEEK publicity.

I didn't know there was an an article in the paper and don't particularly think it's relevant other than perhaps explaining why you bit at the original comment.  If the article was done after the race I'd suggest you absolutely deserve to be celebrated for that achievement, given the circumstances it was an amazing effort.  Certainly not something that I would attempt in similar circumstances let alone finish.  In no way was it unremarkable, unlike someone taking a roll-down to 70.3 WC in Europe when they came 90th in their age group and seeking attention through social and regular media for it.  From what I do know of you I doubt very much that you approached the paper.

What I did see was a post on the UTA thread here with three weeks to go saying that you had just done a 7km shuffle and it was your first run in three months.  With a pre-existing injury and, at best, 3 weeks of training in four months then it would be hard to suggest that starting was anything but brave (in the Sir Humphrey Appleby sense) no matter what had come prior to that.  It makes your perseverence and finish even more impressive but it doesn't make the decision to start any smarter.

Call it rude.  Call it a back-handed compliment.  Call it what you like.  I'm not setting out to offend you or put you down but I'm also not sitting back silently if you make blatantly ridiculous statements suggesting that there isn't an overwhelming support of the "just participating" crowd on here.

2 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

After being an observer of this site for quite a while, I finally joined about 10 years ago to rip into some people who were bagging some others about attending the Triathlon Age Group World Championships.  They were saying that 'these people' didn't deserve to be going to the AG World Champs...  I was saying that 'these people' didn't write the rules of what was required to get to the AG World Champs, they just did what was 'required'.

Spot on.  They deserve to go and nobody will find a suggestion from me anywhere that they don't, simply that seeking adulation for it is worthy of a little giggle at their expense if nothing else.

• Like 1

Geezuz all this drama....how do you people have the energy to give a crap about any of this stuff??? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stikman said:

What I did see was a post on the UTA thread here with three weeks to go saying that you had just done a 7km shuffle and it was your first run in three months.  With a pre-existing injury and, at best, 3 weeks of training in four months then it would be hard to suggest that starting was anything but brave (in the Sir Humphrey Appleby sense) no matter what had come prior to that.  It makes your perseverence and finish even more impressive but it doesn't make the decision to start any smarter.

You have no idea what training I was doing. 

I posted a 7km shuffle.  True.  But what didn't I post?  Agreed that if I had done nothing for 4 months and then only a 7km run 3 weeks out, that would be stupid to attempt.  I'm not stupid. So please don't judge my decision to start based on your lack of information.  Not everyone logs all their training through Transitions.  

This was my 7th ultra. 3rd 100km.  Third race on the UTA course.  I knew what I was doing.  

There is way more to getting through UTA than running. There are 80yr olds who never run a step and finish repeatedly. 

Now can you get back on topic about the failings of people who don't get to Kona? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stikman said:

statements suggesting that there isn't an overwhelming support of the "just participating" crowd on here.

I said there are SOME .  

35 minutes ago, Stikman said:

I'm no expert on your training,

To bring you up to speed, in the 6 months of my focussed training, I did more vert, more hours and more kilometers than in the lead up to my previous (and failed)  UTA attempt, or either of my other two 100km "runs".  Plus more bike and strength work.   And a 30hr bike event for sleep deprivation and mental training (riding continual support for Revolve24 and community rides). And I went away every 3 weeks to hill country to get vert and big back to back days. 

But I didn't post it all on Trannies and its not on Strava. Perhaps that means it didn't actually count? 

• Like 1

Could we please have a password protected 'sub-forum' just for people who have qualified for and raced Kona, thanks. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Could we please have a password protected 'sub-forum' just for people who have qualified for and raced Kona, thanks. 👍

I'm in. I was there on the toughest race day ever, 2012. GoEasy will agree. Winds so strong my vegemite sandwich got blown out of my bento box. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pieman said:

2 hours ago, Stikman said:

Exactly.  Katz and I were following Turts online throughout UTA hoping she'd get there.

Fair call, I can now see that you were in fact saying that there was some support for Turts regardless of her result.  But she probably shouldn't feel all that special about that because I would also congratulate you yourself on your own pathetic results as well if of course I happened to be following them...  Just kidding :winkiss:.

Once she started though there was nothing but support...

8 hours ago, Stikman said:

Humility is shunning the paper, the go-fund-me page and the look-at-me social media and admitting they're crap but they do it because they enjoy it.

Hahaha...  'admitting that they're crap'...  You've got a funny way of showing 'nothing but support'!!  :confused1:

Cath is the first to admit that she's not a great runner.  I'm sure the last thing she needs is someone 'supporting' her by telling her that she'd be more humble by admitting that she's crap at it.  From what I've read of your posts in the past I'm pretty sure that you're better than that!

Sanity would have suggested that when she posted three weeks out that she had just done her first run in 3 months (a 7km shuffle) she should probably not have toed the line at all and in doing so was risking an expensive chopper evac or putting others in the unpleasant or even dangerous position of getting her out.

Sorry, but that's just wrong...  There is some risk to all events we do.  We all make an educated risk assessment as to what level we need to be at to attempt any event or task.  Cath said repeatedly prior to the event that she did not intend to put herself or others at risk by attempting something that she shouldn't.  It's a great event, that is well thought out with aid stations, medical support and access points, Cath's been there and done it before... she knew the risks and made an educated decision.  As a former Race Director of other events, I can only wish that lots of other competitors would give their events similar consideration.

Anyway, I agree with others that it's just not worth the grief that some of these discussions cause and I apologise if I've pissed anyone off by it...  but I do still think that asking someone to admit that they're crap at something is a bit of a dick swinging comment, especially when they already admitted it in the first place.

3 hours ago, Stikman said:

I've met her a couple of times in Busso and she is every bit as nice in person as GE says.

Now you're putting words in my mouth.. I never said that!!! :D

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I'm in. I was there on the toughest race day ever, 2012. GoEasy will agree. Winds so strong my vegemite sandwich got blown out of my bento box. 

That's nothing.

In 1990 the wind was so strong it blew the vegemite out of my sandwich! :eek:

I was left just holding two slices of bread. :cry:

Edited by Paul Every
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

People who don’t kq are losers

Hey BB, I think AP has hacked your account. If you get spam emails from Bulmers Worming tablets, you will know it's true, lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

It took three pages but someone finally said what needed to be said. Case closed!

😅

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

But Peters topic was about DOING Kona,  it just a kq. So u could kq but not go and still be a loser. 

Like a cactus is a plant, but not all plants are cacti. 

What about those that do Kona through other means, but not the traditional q. Not losers? 

We need to be pedantic about this. It's very important. 

and in the spirit of this place, sub 10 is the minimum acceptable standard for able bodied men under 50, you should all be going sub 9:30 and closer to sub 9.