Peter

Are you a failure if you don't do Kona?

Are you a failure if you don't do Kona?  

36 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Are you a failure if you don't do Kona?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

Agree totally, the ultimate goal for all of us should be enjoyment.

But if you had to name one 'event' that for most people would be described as the 'Holy Grail of Triathlon' what would it be?

I've got a lot of friends who do not have a great interest in Triathlon yet they all seem to have a knowledge of the race in Kona.  It's probably not the best event in the world, but it would have to be the best known event.

Fair call. I think the Olympics. Everybody knows the Olympics and its a games that has an insane history, particularly the Ancient Olympics. Although Triathlon only started in 2000, the games has a rich history going back to about 775BC. We all know Kona as being one of triathlons many World Championships, arguably a commercial world championship, but everybody all over the World knows the Olympics and thats where the worlds best in most sports go to win. I don't think much trumps an Olympic gold medal despite its esteemed company.

Olympic distance didn’t start at the Olympics.

Not sure any world champs runs the same lines as what they did in San Diego back in ‘74.

I won’t call it Kona as we know the first couple were on Oahu but ironman started there and it’s distances remain unchanged (well maybe on some courses 😎).

In my eyes, that makes it the holy grail over and above any other triathlon.

Plus it is what I watched on TV all those years ago, Sunday arvo, wild world of sports, a bit each week, Dave and Mark et al. Years before St George, F1 etc.

• Like 3

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 3:26 PM, Peter said:

So all those that said kona isnt on the radar i do wonder if ironman called you and said, you can do kona this October if you want, how many would go, “sure”. 

Nope, have qualified half a dozen times, took the option up once and still didnt go, as I got sick. Can't do ironman anymore and do I regret not going ? Nope.

Why didn't I go, number of reasons, worked fulltime and would take 2 months off for IM OZ and didn't want to take leave without pay and the overall cost, my challenge was to go as fast as I could here, I knew the conditions there and the time of year would not result in a good result, so why would I go to finish and not be in a position to do my best when I pushed hard here. I saw IM as a challenge to push myself to what was my limit and try to improve, sometimes I did sometimes i didn't 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Go Easy said:

What's the relationship between Pro Kona posts and Emoji posts? :huh:

(Edited to add a 'huh' emoji as I really don't understand that comment!)

I think its the reference to AP going to Kona multiple times, posting about it and putting  an emjoi at the end of his comments,, 

• Thanks 1

What's Kona got to do with success? 

3 decades of observation suggests to me that the more visits to that island (for non-professionals especially) the worse the personality disorder and the higher the divorce rate.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, trifun said:

What's Kona got to do with success? 

3 decades of observation suggests to me that the more visits to that island (for non-professionals especially) the worse the personality disorder and the higher the divorce rate.

Success in the sport. 

On 24/05/2019 at 6:17 PM, Peter said:

I know Paul was taking the piss here but ....

Are you a failure if you don't do Kona during your triathlon career?

Since Peter quoted me to start the thread, I thought I'd vote yes just to be tosser.

I was surprised to find six people had already beaten me to it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Since Peter quoted me to start the thread, I thought I'd vote yes just to be tosser.

I was surprised to find six people had already beaten me to it.

This Paul Every bloke is a major trouble maker. 🤗

I think its pretty uncool to wear your Ironman  apparel and finisher T-shirts at the local park run, unless it's Kona-specifie.  Same with ink.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think its pretty uncool to wear your Ironman  apparel and finisher T-shirts at the local park run, unless it's Kona-specifie.  Same with ink.

I think you are over thinking it. Where else would you wear your free event branded active wear? I'm not BUYING running gear to wear to a park run! I'm a tight wad and currently live off event T-shirts for training :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I think you are over thinking it. Where else would you wear your free event branded active wear? I'm not BUYING running gear to wear to a park run! I'm a tight wad and currently live off event T-shirts for training :D 

But what he's saying is that it's not cool to wear it UNLESS it is Kona specific. 

Anybody can get an IM t-shirt and wear it to park run. It takes a special kind of wanker to wear their Kona t-shirt to park-run.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But what he's saying is that it's not cool to wear it UNLESS it is Kona specific. 

Anybody can get an IM t-shirt and wear it to park run. It takes a special kind of wanker to wear their Kona t-shirt to park-run.

I'm a failure!* :cry:

*I have also never done a parkrun....

Edited by dazaau

16 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I'm a failure!* :cry:

*I have also never done a parkrun....

With the above in mind, if you've not done those and don't have Strava can you even call yourself an athlete :P:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

A woman turned up to Hobbos running a few weeks ago in an ultra running finishers top. 

There were about 40 of us there, and not one other in a branded top.

She was destroyed by about 37 people.

I almost felt bad for her.  Had the shirt, probably came last in the ultra and was so proud of it. But she was no runner.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

The cool kids wear trail running gear, Rohan's designs are much better than anything Wanda is ever going to put out

I have two Ironman finishers jackets (both given to me as gifts) and at $250 I feel its rude not to wear them.

Apart from that I never wear IM gear. My finishers t-shirts and hats are all stuffed in the cupboard and never worn.

Just realised I didn't pick up a finisher's shirt at Port this year.

I was otherwise occupied at medical, then it pretty late and just headed home.

I think I may have enough t-shirts to keep me going for a few months yet.

Edited by Paul Every
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

bike rag?

Or give to the op shop and see some homeless guy wearing it around a few weeks later is always interesting to see

I wear my event shirts to either 70.3 or umpteen corporate tri shirts, but so far no one seems impressed :( . Cearly they're all too focused on folding themselves in half without the shrieks that are emitted from my mouth to notice.  Self absorbed wanks  ;)

Oh hang on, is it the guy in the shirt that's the wank???

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

bike rag?

Or give to the op shop and see some homeless guy wearing it around a few weeks later is always interesting to see

Not homeless, but there is a guy in our neighbourhood who is very, very unlikely to have completed the Busso Half, yet we were amused to see him in an old event t-shirt not too long ago.

9 minutes ago, goughy said:

I wear my event shirts to either 70.3 or umpteen corporate tri shirts, but so far no one seems impressed :( . Cearly they're all too focused on folding themselves in half without the shrieks that are emitted from my mouth to notice.  Self absorbed wanks  ;)

I don't want to sound pretentious (Warning - Pete's about to sound pretentious...) but isn't a corporate tri t-shirt at ANY event kind of, well, you know, how can I put it? Um...

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

I went back to get mine on the Monday. I'm that guy.

I live almost exclusively in race t-shirts (the ones that are normal material) and I train almost exclusively in the ones that are breathable material. There's no way I'm going to buy t-shirts to do these things in when I get given them for "free".

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Peter said:

bike rag?

The sight of a scruffy homeless looking dude in an IM finisher's shirt is all too familiar around my place. :whistling:

Edited by Paul Every
  • Haha 7

19 minutes ago, Katz said:

Not homeless, but there is a guy in our neighbourhood who is very, very unlikely to have completed the Busso Half, yet we were amused to see him in an old event t-shirt not too long ago.

Not the most gracious "welcome-to-the-neighbourhood" I've had, but I'll take it. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I almost felt bad for her.  Had the shirt, probably came last in the ultra and was so proud of it. But she was no runner.

She was proud of her achievement and you're looking down on her for it? Who cares... Imagine how much harder it is to be competing not only against yourself and the course, but also the clock and cut off times. I did it once at six ft track (I I had about 15mins up my sleeve at the end) and it sucked. So. Much. Stress. 

I've been the person looking down on others before, but after being 120kgs and seeing how difficult it is for people I'll never do it again. I remember the 5k I ran after being in the slammer, I've been less sore, for less time after a 2.42 mara.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, more said:

You were in the slammer...as in Jail???

Long long story behind that one, but yes. Nothing actually came of it (the Army couldn't even find a reason to discharge me, they tried, then tried again and then a third time just in case they got lucky). 

Everyone tells me I've had a really interesting life, I'd personally swap it for a boring one and not have to deal with a shit fight every 5 years or so :lol: I'll let you know when you can read about it via book... Likely mid 2021. 

8 minutes ago, willie said:

She was proud of her achievement and you're looking down on her for it?

She was clearly wearing it to brag and say, look at me.  

Its the same as they USA guys that wear their finishers medals the following day to the shops and cafes.

As in, Seriously dude.  yeah we know you raced, we can tell by the way you are walking and the numbers still on your arms.  The medal was yesterday / Last night. Wearing it on any day other than the day you finished a race is a desperate cry for attention.

Shirts are different, but wearing it to a large running group is in my opinion weird.

I've never seen macca or crowie wearing their finishes shirts in the days post winning an event. 

#attentionseekers 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, willie said:

I remember the 5k I ran after being in the slammer, I've been less sore, for less time after a 2.42 mara.

Holy crap, Willie.

We should establish a race in your honour.

The Barkley course was designed by Gary "Lazarus Lake" Cantrell. His idea for the race was inspired upon hearing about the 1977 escape of James Earl Ray, the assassin of Martin Luther King Jr., from nearby Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary. Ray covered only 8 miles (13 km) after running 55 hours in the woods. Cantrell said to himself, "I could do at least 100 miles", mocking Ray's low mileage. Thus, the Barkley Marathons was born

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul Every said:
  15 minutes ago, willie said:

I remember the 5k I ran after being in the slammer, I've been less sore, for less time after a 2.42 mara.

Were you sore from the run or from "being in jail"   😉 

Mark my words, I never, ever want to have a crack at Barkley. I'd only get in as tribute! 

You don't exactly get a whole lot of exercise or movement in an extremely over crowded prison. 2013 was the only year that sucked worse than 2018. 

I ran 19.31 on 20APR13 (slammer for 3 months) my next parkrun was St Albans 24.45 13AUG13. I did a heap of running and ran 21.10 at St Albans on the 3AUG13. By the end of 2013 I was back at about 19, but my company started taking off (amazing what you can do if you channel your anger appropriately) and I went on to be about 120kgs a few years later 😮

9 minutes ago, roxii said:

Were you sore from the run or from "being in jail"   😉 

:lol: Running, I think. I didn't use soap the whole 3 months....... 

44 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't want to sound pretentious (Warning - Pete's about to sound pretentious...) but isn't a corporate tri t-shirt at ANY event kind of, well, you know, how can I put it? Um...

I have no shame! I left it back in "89!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Not the most gracious "welcome-to-the-neighbourhood" I've had, but I'll take it. :thumbsup:

I thought she was talking about stickman.

6 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

LOL. I can see how you could have thought that.

11 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

4 minutes ago, Katz said:

LOL. I can see how you could have thought that.

I'm.  Right.  Here.  Guys!!!

It might actually be my shirt, I need to check my drawer and see if I've got that one.  I did give a number of half shirts to charity a while back.

8 minutes ago, Stikman said:

I'm.  Right.  Here.  Guys!!!

It might actually be my shirt, I need to check my drawer and see if I've got that one.  I did give a number of half shirts to charity a while back.

He's much smaller than you.

9 hours ago, Pete said:

I use the inverse shirt method.  Wear your IM shirts at Park Run, then wear your 1996 Nether Wallop Bog Snorkeling Champs shirt at Ironman😎

What I actually do is wear shirts that are nothing to do with where I’m at a lot of the time.  Cycling camps is surfing shirts, surfing weekends are motorbike shirts and I save the running shirts for doughnut eating competitions.

• Like 1

Hmmmm girls are mostly allergic to that stuff, but if it makes you feel cool 😎...

9 hours ago, goughy said:

I try to wear something clean.

9 hours ago, Rog said:

Hmmmm girls are mostly allergic to that stuff, but if it makes you feel cool 😎...

in the late 90's early 00's I felt cool

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

in the late 90's early 00's I felt cool

Ice cool?

images (16).jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FatPom said:

Wear your IM shirts at Park Run, then wear your 1996 Nether Wallop Bog Snorkeling Champs shirt at Ironman😎

My 'World Bog Snorkelling' shirt would not be out of place anywhere...  my IM shirts on the other hand deserve a limited viewing.

The 'Anthing Is Possible' one is pretty cool though, it might get a run at my local Parkrun one day.

16 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Wearing your timing chip at the bar is next level

7130291A-8CE1-4304-86BD-B7B84995852E.jpeg

I saw this a bit at Port the day before the race :S 

23 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Wearing your timing chip at the bar is next level

7130291A-8CE1-4304-86BD-B7B84995852E.jpeg

I’d be surprised if that wasn’t just a newbie nerves thing so as not to lose it. 

8 minutes ago, roxii said:

I’d be surprised if that wasn’t just a newbie nerves thing so as not to lose it. 

Please it was my 19th Ironman...........

• Like 1