Jump to content
monkie

Bike Boxes

Recommended Posts

Need to start planning shipping my bikes back to the UK in advance of the move... Where should I be looking to buy one? I'm not on Facebook any more so that avenue is closed...

Any particular brands etc?

Cheers,

Monkie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, if it's just going with the rest of your belongings, bike shop box will be fine.

Some shops will pack it for you for a small fee.

QANTAS will sell you a box from most airports, if you want the extra trip to the airport and back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's that Aussie company that makes them out of that corflute stuff.  They seem pretty good, if you wanted a bit better than a cardboard box.  Otherwise I'd be going the contract bike shop route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to have to survive at least three trips (there, back here, there again) and then I'm probably going to end up flying to some races around Europe (and you never know if I can wrangle it with work Port might be on the cards again) so I'd rather go down the proper route. Is LBS the place to go then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://envirobikebox.com.au/

Suitable for airlines that won't take soft bike bags anymore.  Think you can add things like wheels etc to to make moving about easier.

Think John from imtalk uses them now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a evoc bag. It is a padded semi rigid bag with wheels  

As does my son who has done at least 20 flights with it and no bike damage or bag damage in the last 16 months. 

Easy to pack. Disassembled can be packed under a bed etc. for a road bike trip bike you will need the internal holder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, goughy said:

https://envirobikebox.com.au/

Suitable for airlines that won't take soft bike bags anymore.  Think you can add things like wheels etc to to make moving about easier.

Think John from imtalk uses them now.

Are they tough enough for planes? I should have made it clear we're not shipping anything back it's all coming with us on the plane...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

I have a evoc bag. It is a padded semi rigid bag with wheels  

As does my son who has done at least 20 flights with it and no bike damage or bag damage in the last 16 months. 

Easy to pack. Disassembled can be packed under a bed etc. for a road bike trip bike you will need the internal holder. 

Will airilnes still take them now they are saying no bags?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, monkie said:

Will airilnes still take them now they are saying no bags?

I think the no soft bags was just Haiwai airline to Kona. 

Virgin and Air NZ have taken my sons and mine recently. 

There is also a difference between soft/cloth and padded internal frame like the evoc. 

Good luck getting a definitive answer from a airline 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rory-dognz said:

I think the no soft bags was just Haiwai airline to Kona. 

Virgin and Air NZ have taken my sons and mine recently. 

There is also a difference between soft/cloth and padded internal frame like the evoc. 

Good luck getting a definitive answer from a airline 😀

Thanks mate! What size do you have for your tri bike?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, monkie said:

Are they tough enough for planes? I should have made it clear we're not shipping anything back it's all coming with us on the plane...

 

That's the idea of them!  I should say that I have never flown with a bike, so I have no experience.  I just remember hearing about them, particularly when the no soft bag policy was announced by Hawaii.  As I said, I think join Newsom uses one when he flies.  And I think they fold flat for storage.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, monkie said:

Are they tough enough for planes? I should have made it clear we're not shipping anything back it's all coming with us on the plane...

 

I think Cycling Australia use them for their athletes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think for a one off flight to get them back to the uk d go a cardboard box from a bike shop. 

If you were flying to and from several races and using the bag a bit go one of the bags as suggested above. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

I think for a one off flight to get them back to the uk d go a cardboard box from a bike shop. 

If you were flying to and from several races and using the bag a bit go one of the bags as suggested above. 

Yep.. those envirobike ones are just glorified more expensive versions.. pick up a cardboard box each time in Sydney and then buy a scion back in UK for actual traveling

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, more said:

Soft the soft scicon bags are no good?

The FB page for the South Africa worlds last year was full of posts of people with broken bikes, carried in Scion bags along with plenty of missing bikes. I'm guessing decent airlines would be OK, but IMO not worth the risk. A hard case (which I had) can be a PITA, but it's going to take a decent knock to cause damage.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, zed said:

The FB page for the South Africa worlds last year was full of posts of people with broken bikes, carried in Scion bags along with plenty of missing bikes. I'm guessing decent airlines would be OK, but IMO not worth the risk. A hard case (which I had) can be a PITA, but it's going to take a decent knock to cause damage.

Problem is I have a P5 and they are supposed to be a nightmare to break down for a hard case....🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, more said:

Problem is I have a P5 and they are supposed to be a nightmare to break down for a hard case....🤔

Sounds like an awful problem to have....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, pieman said:

Sounds like an awful problem to have....

Yes it is. On one hand I can spend half as much and get a soft bag and take no time to pack the bike but risk damage, or spend a lot more on a hard case and spend ages packing and unpacking but with more confidence it won't get damaged..

Edited by more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, more said:

Problem is I have a P5 and they are supposed to be a nightmare to break down for a hard case....🤔

New bike!

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, more said:

Yes it is. On one hand I can spend half as much and get a soft bag and take no time to pack the bike but risk damage, or spend a lot more on a hard case and spend ages packing and unpacking but with more confidence it won't get damaged..

 UMOZ winner Carl read just flew home to NZ with his P5 in a scicon bike bag and found it snapped in multiple places on arrival 

a all to common story with the scicon bags unfortunately 

Edited by ironpo
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, more said:

Yes it is. On one hand I can spend half as much and get a soft bag and take no time to pack the bike but risk damage, or spend a lot more on a hard case and spend ages packing and unpacking but with more confidence it won't get damaged..

TBH it doesn't take too long, pedals, seatpost, wheels and stem off. I took rear derallieau off one way, but left it on for return journey as I found a better way of packing it. Also that's the only case I took, it fit everything in, helmet, wetsuit, pump, Maybe on the weekend take a trip out to the airport and watch the baggage handlers at work 😁- it will make your decision easier!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, zed said:

TBH it doesn't take too long, pedals, seatpost, wheels and stem off. I took rear derallieau off one way, but left it on for return journey as I found a better way of packing it. Also that's the only case I took, it fit everything in, helmet, wetsuit, pump, Maybe on the weekend take a trip out to the airport and watch the baggage handlers at work 😁- it will make your decision easier!

Do you have a P5? Reading about it and it actually doesn't sound all that hard?

Been reading all day and there are so many conflicting views, some say the hard boxes get smashed around slot more because they get things stacked on top of them, then you have others saying they have used soft cases for years with no problem, then you have other stories where obviously the bikes have been damaged urghhhhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, more said:

Yes it is. On one hand I can spend half as much and get a soft bag and take no time to pack the bike but risk damage, or spend a lot more on a hard case and spend ages packing and unpacking but with more confidence it won't get damaged..

I think he was referring to the slight humblebrag nature of the issue... ;)

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A mate built a PVC frame to put in the scicon. Might be worth a look... I'll ask him to take a photo and send it through.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done a heap of  travel with a soft bag with no problems. I used a hard case for years and they are a pain in the ass. Harder to get into a hire car, heavier, take up more room in the hotel etc. 

The other advantage of not having to pull your bike apart is the internal threads (headset, seat pole etc on the bike won't wear out. The new bikes are made as light as possible & they use soft alloy for the internal threads. Pulling them apart & putting them back together stuffs the thread. 

Damage to the threads etc can't be claimed on insurance. Damage to your bike can be claimed on house hold insurance (mine covers me for 90days a year overseas) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monkie said:

I think he was referring to the slight humblebrag nature of the issue... ;)

Humble brag? Mehhhhh lol well I didn't mean to come across like that. I mentioned it's a P5 because they a largely unique in having hydraulic brake and a bit of a reputation for being difficult to work on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, willie said:

A mate built a PVC frame to put in the scicon. Might be worth a look... I'll ask him to take a photo and send it through.

Awesome thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, more said:

Humble brag? Mehhhhh lol well I didn't mean to come across like that. I mentioned it's a P5 because they a largely unique in having hydraulic brake and a bit of a reputation for being difficult to work on.

I'm sure you weren't because you don't come across as that guy but reading it as a comment in isolation it is a definite humblebrag. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I have done a heap of  travel with a soft bag with no problems. I used a hard case for years and they are a pain in the ass. Harder to get into a hire car, heavier, take up more room in the hotel etc. 

The other advantage of not having to pull your bike apart is the internal threads (headset, seat pole etc on the bike won't wear out. The new bikes are made as light as possible & they use soft alloy for the internal threads. Pulling them apart & putting them back together stuffs the thread. 

Damage to the threads etc can't be claimed on insurance. Damage to your bike can be claimed on house hold insurance (mine covers me for 90days a year overseas) 

Yeah good point re size of hard case. Mine wouldn't fit in half the taxis. Maybe a Scion with some reinforcing. Would be pretty easy to protect the vulnerable parts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, zed said:

Yeah good point re size of hard case. Mine wouldn't fit in half the taxis. Maybe a Scion with some reinforcing. Would be pretty easy to protect the vulnerable parts. 

Agree.  With the frame in the base of the soft back and being able to lock the forks in, I've never had an issue.

Having said that, when I did Kona, I used a hard case.  I just didn't want anything to happen to my bike.

And the bike was good.  Sadly one wheel and also the locks were both broken.

So if you go a hard case make sure you get one with

1. TSA locks that they can use a master key to open

2. You can replace the wheels. Because a hard case with fark wheels really suck.

But like Bored@ I have flown heaps with my bike and used a soft bag for the last 8 years without an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the p5 and hydro brakes you have very limited options as you can’t take the bars off without having to bleed the brakes again. It’s a royal PITA and your options are basically anything that doesn’t require full disassembly of your front end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, more said:

Thanks everyone, ended up getting the soft case 😎

Can I borrow it?  haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...