symo

Sydney public pools looking for cash

Hornsby and West Pymble pools have closed in recent years due to age and in need of a rebuild (Hornsby) and renovation/expansion (West Pymble). The pools were closed for nearly 2.5 years..... rate payers had to fund them primarily. unsure what government contributed but I do know my rates went up steeply... and that was on top of a already high levy to fund the North Turramurra recreational area (new soccer and cricket fields along with expansion of golf course.

User pays I guess....... but have been paying the levy for nearly 10 years.

And then we get stung to use the pool $7:00 per swim. At that price I need to swim longer to make it viable.  

4 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

And then we get stung to use the pool $7:00 per swim. At that price I need to swim longer to make it viable.  

$7 isn't bad to be honest, I think the only one I swim at cheaper than that these days is PAP. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

$7 isn't bad to be honest, I think the only one I swim at cheaper than that these days is PAP. 

West Pymble went from $3:40 to $7:00 post reno's. Good thing I have a corporate card that is able to be used at any Pool state wide.

Edited by IronmanFoz
Typos

$7 for a swim is fine.

MSAC here is $8.50  (its the same quality as Homebush)

Harrold Holt Pool is $7.40

3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

LOL you guys pay to swim. My work has a 50m indoor pool. I still don't swim.

We know.  We have seen your Ironman swim times

• Haha 3

@Peter Hows the crowding at MSAC though? I found Homebush to have the competition pool unavailable a lot of the time, and then forced into the training pool which was crowded and full of idiots playing in the lap lanes, poolies did not give a stuff. Tried to go when it was quieter, then they decided to change the closing time. 

Over at Mac Uni now. Effing freezing getting in and out and starting (it's outdoor), but I'll deal with it.

@MissJess MSAC is fine and the idiots are rare as the outside pool is too cold for idiots and the inside pool and cool and if you arent swimming you'd freeze.

They have another whole area for the idiots with a wave pool and water slides and spas to create people soup.

I only go of a monday evening at 6:30 and it's find then.  Tuesday evenings they play water polo outside so double the amount go indoors.

To be honest the only times it's crap is when some state or national swimming events are on.  But then they just cut the indoor pool into 16 x50mtr lanes and you can also swim laps in the diving pool 

27 minutes ago, Peter said:

@MissJess MSAC is fine and the idiots are rare as the outside pool is too cold for idiots and the inside pool and cool and if you arent swimming you'd freeze.

They have another whole area for the idiots with a wave pool and water slides and spas to create people soup.

I only go of a monday evening at 6:30 and it's find then.  Tuesday evenings they play water polo outside so double the amount go indoors.

To be honest the only times it's crap is when some state or national swimming events are on.  But then they just cut the indoor pool into 16 x50mtr lanes and you can also swim laps in the diving pool 

Hey mate, Im online checking the lane availability and it looks shizen housen-is it not accurate? For example its showing the indoor fiddy unavailable all day from 5AM until 7:30PM, and the out door fiddy unavailable totally until 11:30am Saturday?? WTF

46 minutes ago, Peter said:

MSAC is fine and the idiots are rare as the outside pool is too cold for idiots and the inside pool and cool and if you arent swimming you'd freeze.

Yeah the training pool at SOPAC (Homebush) is like soup. 😏

I swim on the Port IM course 1-2 times a week. Dont have to check lane availability, its free but might dodge the odd boat and pelican every know and then though. A doggie on a house boat gets a bit excited at times as we swim past. Always wonder if he'll jump in after us.

1 hour ago, more said:

Hey mate, Im online checking the lane availability and it looks shizen housen-is it not accurate? For example its showing the indoor fiddy unavailable all day from 5AM until 7:30PM, and the out door fiddy unavailable totally until 11:30am Saturday?? WTF

Yeah that’s always stuffed. 

You just need to make sure no carnival is on. 

Call me for a chat.  

I had a girl come to the office earlier this week taking collections for the local pool.  I gave her a glass of water.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, MissJess said:

Yeah the training pool at SOPAC (Homebush) is like soup. 😏

Yeah, I was forced to swim in there about 3 times - never again.

There are waaaaay more options in the area. Drummoyne (when f*#@ing Polo haven't taken over), Cabarita, Leichardr (all year around) Rude...

All 3 pools in town are leaking apparently.

Council 50m pool is closed for winter.  It runs at a loss.  Heated, but not enclosed, so can't maintain the heat over winter hence it closes from April to Oct.

UNE 25m indoor pool has been closed for over 2yrs for a total rebuild, supposed to be ready again in August....but my annual membership fees stayed the same, even though I can't use it (only used the gym there for past 2yrs).

Managed to get membership to a private school indoor 25m pool here, the only winter swim option at present. Limited member swimming hours, but thankfully often public swimming over lunchtime, when I do most of my swims.

Got two 50m outdoors ones close by (Fitzroy, Northcote).  The great thing is outdoors keeps the crowds at bay although swim club at Northcote takes a few lanes. Both under $7.

Yeah it can be tough. I had to drive nearly 5 minutes from home to get here - you can see how I had to fight for a lane. Water was a chilly 26° too. 

I turned up Wednesday and it was family day which meant free entry. Good thing I was there to break the glassy water surface with two lifeguards to watch me.

IMG_1684.thumb.jpg.a5cb2375c4e4539256bc45db823f7480.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trinube said:

Yeah it can be tough. I had to drive nearly 5 minutes from home to get here - you can see how I had to fight for a lane. Water was a chilly 26° too. 

I turned up Wednesday and it was family day which meant free entry. Good thing I was there to break the glassy water surface with two lifeguards to watch me.

IMG_1684.thumb.jpg.a5cb2375c4e4539256bc45db823f7480.jpg

Is that Birrong now?? 

Wow looks great. 

54 minutes ago, roxii said:

Is that Birrong now?? 

Wow looks great. 

I had a swim there a few days ago and I agree, I wasn’t expecting it. It was crowded when I was there though, 3 of us in the water. I even had someone in the lane next to me 😮

51 minutes ago, willie said:

I had a swim there a few days ago and I agree, I wasn’t expecting it. It was crowded when I was there though, 3 of us in the water. I even had someone in the lane next to me 😮

Might have been me...  Typically in Autumn/Winter there'll be one or two at any one time. Lunch time is perfect. It was about 23 and glorious in the sun today and 26 in the water. Nice hot shower and back to work inside an hour.

If you want/need to swim I can think of worse ways to do it :)