goughy

Stupid, interesting, or uninteresting facts

Post your stupid, interesting, or uninteresting facts here.  

It takes as much electricity to boil a full jug of water as it takes to run your fridge for a day!

So only full it as much as is needed.

Hit me with them?

I'm clearly in done sort of mood today!

The average woman's waist is 26" around, the average man's arm is 26" long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Post your stupid, interesting, or uninteresting facts here.  

It takes as much electricity to boil a full jug of water as it takes to run your fridge for a day!

So only full it as much as is needed.

Hit me with them?

I'm clearly in done sort of mood today!

Yes, the energy requires to boil a kettle is proportional to the mass/volume of water in it - you can calculate it quite easily with the formula Q=MC(t1-t2) giving the joules required.  given M is mass in grams C is about 4.2 per cm3 for water, to heat up a liter from 20 degC to boiling would need around 336,00 joules.

Now given that the average kettle is about 1 kilowatt (or 1,000 joules per second)  and assuming there is no heat loss (there actually is quite a bit) and forgetting we are heating up the kettle as well heating, it will take around 5 to 6 minutes.

In actual fact the heat loss that occurs is actually proportional to the temperature which itself is increasing, meaning the process is covered by a single order linear differential equation, but I will leave that as an exercise for the reader.

The fridge is a little more complex but is essentially covered under the same formula, except you are working with negative temperature changes and the (lack of) efficiency of thermodynamics and heat transfer.

Is it just me, or is this stuff really interesting..!? :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's not anymore ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

One in the hand isn't worth two in the bush.

Macca's only forget your sweet and sour sauce when you don't bother to check before driving off..

1 minute ago, more said:

Macca's only forget your sweet and sour sauce when you don't bother to check before driving off..

100% fact that.  Bastards.  I won't get caught out on that again.

4 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

My Solar panels don't work at night.

Actually they do.  Admittedly, the return is almost useless but its there.  

My 120watt solar panel will return up to 7.5amp@13v in bright sunshine and somewhere between 0.05 and 0.1 amps in bright moonshine.

This fact was brought to you by Bundaberg Rum which is entirely to blame for the antics of that particular night

15 hours ago, Pete said:

Is it just me, or is this stuff really interesting..!? :)

Is it cheaper to put your cup of water for a cuppa tea ( especially if you're by yourself ) into the microwave for 2 minutes?

The Supermarine Spitfire was the pin-up aircraft of the Battle of Britain, when in fact the Hawker Hurricane did most of the heavy lifting re stopping German bombers over Britain, and could cope with more battle damage & still get its pilot home.

• Like 2

Frederick Charles Standish who was Chief Commissioner of Police during the search for the Kelly Gang and came up with the idea of the Melbourne Cup horse race was once horse whipped at breakfast in the Melbourne club by another member who he had offended by using offensive language.

4 hours ago, softy said:

Is it cheaper to put your cup of water for a cuppa tea ( especially if you're by yourself ) into the microwave for 2 minutes?

Assuming the same amount of water... I would think kettle. All of its energy is directed at the water, and it switches off when boiling, whereas the microwave blasts energy all over the place (including outside) runs a turntable, clock/timer/etc and has no idea when the water is boiling.

Edited by XCOM.!

46 minutes ago, XCOM.! said:

Assuming the same amount of water... I would think kettle. All of its energy is directed at the water, and it switches off when boiling, whereas the microwave blasts energy all over the place (including outside) runs a turntable, clock/timer/etc and has no idea when the water is boiling.

Experiments have been done, and an induction cooktop is actually the most efficient. But you would need to have the lid on the saucepan to get the full efficiency. Second is an electric kettle, then the microwave.

But: if you have the cooktop on a lower setting, and it takes longer to boil, then you lose more heat & it becomes a less efficient option.

It takes longer for a kettle to boil a little of water in America than it does in Australia. 

They don't even use electric kettles there do they Rog, don't they mostly boil the kettle on the stove top due to the 110V ? 

According to the science if you put a liter of petrol in your kettle it should boil a lot quicker than water as its boiling point is a lot lower (35 degC) and its thermal mass is a lot lower at around 1.6 (less than half that of water). Maybe one of you blokes can have a crack at this and let me know how it goes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, XCOM.! said:

With electric coils all the energy gets delivered to the source so the most efficient is the one the loses the less heat to the surroundings.  If an electric kettle had REALLY good insulation (eg if the coils were in a sealed thermos flask) it would win hands down but boiling water in sealed glass containers is considered a bit "Darwin awards" (see post above re boiling petrol :))

I don't know enough about microwaves' efficiency (50? see below) to comment but induction cooktops really are the bomb, ie they directly heat the thing you want heated (ie the pot) not the air around it.

From the good doctor G - 

A microwave is about 50 percent efficient. Most of the energy is lost in the process of converting electricity to microwaves (which are part of the electromagnetic spectrum). An electric stovetop is about 70 percent efficient, although that varies widely depending on the type of pot or kettle you use.

... and allow more time to boil eggs on Mt Hotham

40 minutes ago, Pete said:

... and allow more time to boil eggs on Mt Hotham

That's because the water boils at a lower temperature, so will take longer to cook the egg.

29 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That's because the water boils at a lower temperature, so will take longer to cook the egg.

...and then we get into the subject of the triple point.

Interesting fact (for those who don't know) the typical smoke detector is 'nuclear powered' - using a small amount of radioactive Americium-241 and a comparative circuit, to detect the difference in ionizing radiation received by an electrode in sealed and unsealed chambers - very clever tech we just take for granted.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XCOM.! said:

Interesting fact (for those who don't know) the typical smoke detector is 'nuclear powered' - using a small amount of radioactive Americium-241 and a comparative circuit, to detect the difference in ionizing radiation received by an electrode in sealed and unsealed chambers - very clever tech we just take for granted.

Yep-that's how this kid in the US managed tried to build an actual operating nuclear reactor!!

https://www.boredpanda.com/story-radioactive-boy-scout-david-hahn/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

"Back in 1994, in a shed next to his mother’s house, the then 17-year-old David Hahn made a nuclear reactor "
"Hahn diligently amassed radioactive material by collecting small amounts from household products, such as americium from smoke detectors, thorium from camping lantern mantles, radium from clocks, and tritium from gunsights"

Smashing the button a million times at a pedestrian crossing doesn't make the traffic stop faster.

• Haha 1

Doesn't make the lights change quicker either!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, XCOM.! said:

Smashing the button a million times at a pedestrian crossing doesn't make the traffic stop faster.

But tell me you can't help pushing it again even if it's already been pushed 😆

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, XCOM.! said:

But is does make you feel better. It is also fun to watch someone seethe that you are doing it.

1 hour ago, A2K said:

Ever seen an owl without feathers? 

images-5.jpg

Yes.

Owl chicks are so grotesquely cute and hideously adorable before they're feathered.

Though that's the first unfeathered adult I've seen.

9 hours ago, XCOM.! said:

The same with lifts... the call button only needs to be pushed once.

1 hour ago, softy said:

The same with lifts... the call button only needs to be pushed once.

And unless the lift is from the 1980's and hasn't been updated (unlikely), the close door button actually serves no purpose, so why push it.

11 hours ago, XCOM.! said:

And for more useless information, hitting it once doesn't make any difference either most of the time. In most CBD's the walk sign will come on automatically when the corresponding red light comes on, which is controlled by traffic flow. If there is no traffic around it will help, but in normal business hours in the CBD they are superfluous.

12 hours ago, more said:

But tell me you can't help pushing it again even if it's already been pushed 😆

Oh you are one of those people.  

Julie Bishop said the liberals have never lose an election on the same day that the Sydney swans play and win. 

I went to the school parent-teacher talks last week. Every single one of my son's teachers commented on his "incredible knowledge of abstract and often unrelated facts. Here is one he came up with at breakfast today.

Gunpowder was originally invented as an "elixir of life" by taoists, and wasn't used as an explosive for another 2 centuries.

• Like 1

On 17/05/2019 at 8:11 AM, Pete said:

From the good doctor G - 

A microwave is about 50 percent efficient. Most of the energy is lost in the process of converting electricity to microwaves (which are part of the electromagnetic spectrum). An electric stovetop is about 70 percent efficient, although that varies widely depending on the type of pot or kettle you use.

After espousing my newfound knowledge on all things boiling in the office I engaged in a kettle vs microwave efficiency debate and though I confidently struck first with my pro-kettle spiel I was soon torn to shreds by the microwave lovers.  

You see, a microwaver will only just fill the cup prior to the big heat whereas a kettle aficionado will almost always go "the first line" on the water level - ie the microwaver is heating around 200 - 250 ml and the kettle user something like  400 or 500.

Thus, no matter how efficient the device, the microwave tea drinker could rest easy knowing they expended far less energy than their kettle counterparts.   My ass was kicked :(

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

After espousing my newfound knowledge on all things boiling in the office I engaged in a kettle vs microwave efficiency debate and though I confidently struck first with my pro-kettle spiel I was soon torn to shreds by the microwave lovers.  

You see, a microwaver will only just fill the cup prior to the big heat whereas a kettle aficionado will almost always go "the first line" on the water level - ie the microwaver is heating around 200 - 250 ml and the kettle user something like  400 or 500.

Thus, no matter how efficient the device, the microwave tea drinker could rest easy knowing they expended far less energy than their kettle counterparts.   My ass was kicked :(

I only ever put what's needed in the kettle. When I make mine early in the morning there would generally be less than a quarter of a cup left after.

Level 4 Water restrictions (absolutely no outside water use) here in Armidale for the first time ever.  And we have a storage that is over-engineered for the population by a factor of four, but now down to 50%.

Have invested in a connection to pump the washing machine greywater out onto the lawn/garden (hoping the detergent won't kill it, have asked the Mrs to halve the detergent) and taking a bucket into the shower to collect water to further water the trees.  You get about 10-15L from each shower.

It's looking very grim on the future rainfall front.  I reckon we need about 200mm of good soaking rain over a few weeks to make a difference.

23 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

It's looking very grim on the future rainfall front.  I reckon we need about 200mm of good soaking rain over a few weeks to make a difference.

Trouble is that when the rain does come, it's going to create a whole new range of issues.  No ground cover around at all, going to be alot of topsoil being moved around

38 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Trouble is that when the rain does come, it's going to create a whole new range of issues.  No ground cover around at all, going to be alot of topsoil being moved around

Yup, which is why I'm hoping for easy slow steady soaking rain.  But if you believe the climate change stuff, we are headed for more big storm dumps which will shift lots of soil.

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Level 4 Water restrictions (absolutely no outside water use) here in Armidale for the first time ever.  And we have a storage that is over-engineered for the population by a factor of four, but now down to 50%.

Have invested in a connection to pump the washing machine greywater out onto the lawn/garden (hoping the detergent won't kill it, have asked the Mrs to halve the detergent) and taking a bucket into the shower to collect water to further water the trees.  You get about 10-15L from each shower.

I’d suggest just showering in the backyard but you could freeze. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Peter said:

I’d suggest just showering in the backyard but you could freeze. 

Yes, normally that would be the case here in May, but temps are stupid high for present.  Climate change?  I don't know?  It is great for training here this warmer weather, but not so good for our rapidly dying lawn ☹️

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

The phosphorous in the detergent is actually good for the lawns etc. That's why you can wash you car on the lawn. But I guess you wont be doing that much now. :)

5 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

The phosphorous in the detergent is actually good for the lawns etc. That's why you can wash you car on the lawn. But I guess you wont be doing that much now. :)

I was wondering about the P, that's good to know. I just know one farmer told me he managed to kill a heap of trees/shrubs by watering them with greywater?

The only car washing we can do now is at the commercial car wash....which is where my Hilux is going tomoz....which is a shame as it is covered in cow shit which would be great to wash off on the lawn!

11 hours ago, Pete said:

I suspect your problem is going to be the efficiency quoted for the microwave - efficient at doing what?

Microwave ovens are reasonably efficient at generating microwaves (i.e. the electrical power used vs the microwave energy output of the magnatron) but that doesn't mean using 1100W of microwave output is an efficient way to heat a cup of water. My own microwave draws about 8.35A of power for its advertised 1100W of output, but it will pull that same amount of power if it's empty or "full".

Perhaps the only practical way to compare microwave to kettle would be to meter the current draw for set time (say 2 mins) measure temperature rise of a cup of cold water in the microwave and the kettle (or the minimum cold water allowed by the kettle) ...then do the numbers of energy used by the device and joules required to raise the temp difference measured for the volume of water. I'd be surprised if a high-powered microwave is more efficient at doing that task even if you need to boil a min of 3 cups of water in the kettle.

And FWIW: My microwave appears to draw 0.35A doing nothing... my kettle kicks it's arse on that one.

Edited by XCOM.!

We watched The Meaning of Life tonight, which prompted my son (the font of all useless knowledge) to come out with:

The most children born to a single mother is 69 to a Russian peasant in the late 18th century. She had 16 sets of twins, 7 x triplets & 4 x quads. Only 2 children died in infancy. The father had a 2nd wife who had 6 x twins & 2 x triplets, for 18 children.

And you guys reckon one kid will stop you doing Ironman. Ha!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

BACTERIA

* The estimated average human body is inhabited by three times as many non-human cells as human cells. Some microorganisms that colonise humans co-exist without harming humans.

* It is estimated that there are approximately 37.2 trillion cells in the body and 100 trillion bacterial cells.

* Bacteria have been around for at least 3.5 billion years, making them the oldest known life-form on the planet.

* Lined up end to end, they would stretch some 10 billion light-years—literally from here to the edge of the visible universe.

FM

• Thanks 1

The most stolen book in the world is the bible, but the most stolen from libraries is the Guinness Book of Records.

Is this saying something about christians?

42 minutes ago, goughy said:

The midst stolen book in the world is the bible, but the most stolen from libraries is the Guinness Book of Records.

Is this saying something about christians?

I'm going to suggest it is also the most printed book. 

11 minutes ago, Katz said:

I'm going to suggest it is also the most printed book. 

Its basically like saying the most stolen item is a motel pen/notepad...