Jump to content
Cranky

Hamilton Wheelers

Recommended Posts

On 14/07/2019 at 7:41 PM, Bored@work said:

 

 

Should have been aero overshoe covers (that match the kit) 

I have a couple of pairs of unused Lycra shoe covers , short ones. Think I picked them up on a Wiggle special trying to bump my order up to free postage 😎

One pair is yours if you’d like them Cranky, they’re red though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Mike Del said:

I have a couple of pairs of unused Lycra shoe covers , short ones. Think I picked them up on a Wiggle special trying to bump my order up to free postage 😎

One pair is yours if you’d like them Cranky, they’re red though.

Yes please. I'll fix you up for them. PM me with your bank details 👍

On 14/07/2019 at 7:49 PM, FatPom said:

wrong wrong. It always matters in a TT. You  are simply leaving free time on the table. If you don't care doing your best then crack on.   I've only been TTing for 20yrs though, so clearly clueless:whistling:

No point in asking questions then reject all the suggestions from those that actually do it.

I'm out.

I didn't ask questions about my top or helmet. 

On 14/07/2019 at 8:03 PM, BNothling said:

Will seriously look at this after the 70.3. Can I sign up for the club just for the TT?

Yes.  You can attend/skip any events you like. 

On 15/07/2019 at 6:17 AM, AA7 said:

Cranky can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think she is out to break any speed records or make cycling TTs her thing. I think she is just trying something new and adding some variety into her training. So while all those things will give her a few seconds, I don't think it bothers her really. 

This.

  Solo training on the trainer gets boring and I push harder in a race than solo training.

On 15/07/2019 at 7:24 PM, BNothling said:

So I'm going to throw my hat in the ring for the TT on the 17th of August after chatting with Louise from CQ. I'd love to do the Kingaroy QLD Championships but it's the day before the Sunshine Coast 70.3.

Sweet. Make sure you say hi. I'll be the non-aero one! 🤣

On 16/07/2019 at 9:51 AM, AA7 said:

I did the first one, and I felt like a kid on her first day at school. But it was pretty simple.

Roads were not closed, but I saw very few cars, quiet 'country' roads at Elimbah. 

Plenty of people on their trainers warming up. 

Most were in a club kit.

A few days before the race, they'll put out a start list with your start time (in 30second intervals). Turn up, sign in, get your jersey number and bike transponder and zip ties to attach to your bike. They do bike checks to see if your bike is compliant or not. Someone will hold you at the start. Go for your life.

This. It was the same at Pinkenba. Pretty quiet. People warming up with trainers yes. Most in club kit. They didn't check my bike. This time, There was no start list until on the day. Just turn up and pay you money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Sweet. Make sure you say hi. I'll be the non-aero one! 🤣

I'll definitely come and find you. I'm packing bricks and it'd be nice to have someone to sit on the trainer next to and vocalise some nervous energy!

For those playing along at home, apparently the kit does need to be unbranded if not proper registered club kit and the reason that AA7 might have got away with the Cupcake kit is that it might be registered with CQ. They did ask if I have any triathlon kit from a club that has registered with CQ, but I'm almost certain that our club won't be registered. At any rate, I don't race in club kit as I have my own kit. At this stage, they are checking to see if the photo of the kit that I posted earlier will be OK seeing as the branding is minimal, although they are leaning towards making me buy some plain kit to race in. I spoke to Letty who will let me know for realsies hopefully tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I'll definitely come and find you. I'm packing bricks and it'd be nice to have someone to sit on the trainer next to and vocalise some nervous energy!

For those playing along at home, apparently the kit does need to be unbranded if not proper registered club kit and the reason that AA7 might have got away with the Cupcake kit is that it might be registered with CQ. They did ask if I have any triathlon kit from a club that has registered with CQ, but I'm almost certain that our club won't be registered. At any rate, I don't race in club kit as I have my own kit. At this stage, they are checking to see if the photo of the kit that I posted earlier will be OK seeing as the branding is minimal, although they are leaning towards making me buy some plain kit to race in. I spoke to Letty who will let me know for realsies hopefully tomorrow.

Nah, Cupcake isn't registered with CQ. That seems really strange. Not very inclusive of new-comers in my opinion, it's not like you're out to hit the big prizemoney or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AA7 said:

Nah, Cupcake isn't registered with CQ. That seems really strange. Not very inclusive of new-comers in my opinion, it's not like you're out to hit the big prizemoney or anything.

Who knows then. Sounds like it might be up to whatever mood the head honcho is on the day. I'm not eleigible for points or prizes because I'm on the Shiv. I just want to give someone some money to ride my bike out and back in a straight line and see if I'm as fast as I like to think I am. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BNothling said:

I'm packing bricks and it'd be nice to have someone to sit on the trainer next to and vocalise some nervous energy!

Don't pack bricks. It's a TT. There's nothing at all to worry about. Yeah if it was your first crit or big RR then nerves are expected, but as you said, you are just paying someone to let you ride your bike out & back in a straight line.

Hopefully you'll enjoy the experience & graduate to a RR or Crit where it really does get "Big Kev Exciting".

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Don't pack bricks. It's a TT. There's nothing at all to worry about. Yeah if it was your first crit or big RR then nerves are expected, but as you said, you are just paying someone to let you ride your bike out & back in a straight line.

Hopefully you'll enjoy the experience & graduate to a RR or Crit where it really does get "Big Kev Exciting".

I know. It's more just the unknown and turning up at an event that I know nothing about or how it works. Once someone motions for me to come over to the start line and then I get the big LED screens counting down in French and the crowd goes ape-shit as I pull away in the 58-13, I'll be fine.

Crit racing is in the pipeline for me, but I'd rather do some TT work at the moment until I wrap my head around the whole thing and if I want to stick it out. Once the 70.3 is done in September, I'll probably be lining up at Nundah for some racing laps.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tyno said:

And bricks will only slow you down. Leave them at home. 

Badoom tish :D

Also, CQ have poo-pooed my kit that I posted at the bottom of page 4. I have the option of buying a brand new kit just for these ITT events, or sending them the design files and paying $50 for them to register my tri suit. I'm not sure how many of these races I'll do so I'll stump up the $50 and that should work out much better in the long run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Badoom tish :D

Also, CQ have poo-pooed my kit that I posted at the bottom of page 4. I have the option of buying a brand new kit just for these ITT events, or sending them the design files and paying $50 for them to register my tri suit. I'm not sure how many of these races I'll do so I'll stump up the $50 and that should work out much better in the long run. 

You could always buy a slippery skinsuit. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/07/2019 at 4:31 PM, Cranky said:

Yes please. I'll fix you up for them. PM me with your bank details 👍

 

 

No they’re yours.... I would have thrown them away next she’d clean up. 

I occasionally meet up with some of the people you swim squad with, I’ll pass them on to them to give to you. Just give me a couple of weeks pls, I’ve been a little ill lately and not getting out as much as normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BNothling said:

Badoom tish :D

Also, CQ have poo-pooed my kit that I posted at the bottom of page 4. I have the option of buying a brand new kit just for these ITT events, or sending them the design files and paying $50 for them to register my tri suit. I'm not sure how many of these races I'll do so I'll stump up the $50 and that should work out much better in the long run. 

That's so strange. I had no issue as I said, and my kit has company names all over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/07/2019 at 4:58 PM, BNothling said:

I'll definitely come and find you. I'm packing bricks and it'd be nice to have someone to sit on the trainer next to and vocalise some nervous energy!

Great. I won't bring my trainer but I'll talk to tou while you're on yours. I just do a 5 min ride on the course to warm up.

I'll be the one with the 2 kids hanging off me!

On 17/07/2019 at 9:28 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Don't pack bricks. It's a TT. There's nothing at all to worry about. Yeah if it was your first crit or big RR then nerves are expected, but as you said, you are just paying someone to let you ride your bike out & back in a straight line.

It's probably just a new thing type nervous. I get that... which is why it's taken me 2 years of talking about this to actually do it!

16 hours ago, BNothling said:

Badoom tish :D

Also, CQ have poo-pooed my kit that I posted at the bottom of page 4. I have the option of buying a brand new kit just for these ITT events, or sending them the design files and paying $50 for them to register my tri suit. I'm not sure how many of these races I'll do so I'll stump up the $50 and that should work out much better in the long run. 

Maybe wait till the day. Bring the $50 with you. Is that an option? The guys on the day may not care. What size are you? I wonder if Darren's kit would fit you. It has 17 hours on it but that's all. Would that be allowed?

12 hours ago, Mike Del said:

No they’re yours.... I would have thrown them away next she’d clean up. 

I occasionally meet up with some of the people you swim squad with, I’ll pass them on to them to give to you. Just give me a couple of weeks pls, I’ve been a little ill lately and not getting out as much as normal.

Thank you 😃 no hurry.

Get well soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cranky said:

Great. I won't bring my trainer but I'll talk to you while you're on yours. I just do a 5 min ride on the course to warm up.

I'll be the one with the 2 kids hanging off me!

It's probably just a new thing type nervous. I get that... which is why it's taken me 2 years of talking about this to actually do it!

Maybe wait till the day. Bring the $50 with you. Is that an option? The guys on the day may not care. What size are you? I wonder if Darren's kit would fit you. It has 17 hours on it but that's all. Would that be allowed?

No worries at all. I'll be in touch closer to the date. I think I'll be leaving the twins at home. 

I ended up just getting a one piece kit off eBay for $30. It'll do the job and it's plain with a bit of colour around the collar and sleeves.

I must admit, now that it's all coming together, I'm getting pretty buzzed about it. I'll be P-nowhere, which doesn't matter because I'm on an illegal bike, but I'm keen to push myself on the bike instead of holding some back for the run. I even started testing warm up protocols on Zwift the other night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bnothinling - Join Brisbane CC - membership is like $30 a year. Then borrow someones kit :)

(I should point out I don't know if that will satisfy the rules, but Brisbane Cycling Club is a great local club and does a lot of races including TTs!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Bnothinling - Join Brisbane CC - membership is like $30 a year. Then borrow someones kit :)

(I should point out I don't know if that will satisfy the rules, but Brisbane Cycling Club is a great local club and does a lot of races including TTs!)

Hey mate. Will be looking into this side of things once I see how I go in this ITT. Would love to get into crit racing, but the thought of it scares me a bit. Will get outside my comfort zone soon though I think. 

Is there a list of TT races for Brisbane Cycling Club? Their website is pretty, but it's a bit dated. Facebook seems up to date but doesn't mention any TT racing. To be honest, I'm leaning towards Hamilton Wheelers just so I can have access to the TT side of things at Pinkenba. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BNothling said:

Hey mate. Will be looking into this side of things once I see how I go in this ITT. Would love to get into crit racing, but the thought of it scares me a bit. Will get outside my comfort zone soon though I think. 

Is there a list of TT races for Brisbane Cycling Club? Their website is pretty, but it's a bit dated. Facebook seems up to date but doesn't mention any TT racing. To be honest, I'm leaning towards Hamilton Wheelers just so I can have access to the TT side of things at Pinkenba. 

They do most of the planning via their own private TeamApp. But it is crit focused. There isn't that many opportunities for TT stuff generally. I think thats the case for most big cycling clubs.

I've done a few crits and I'm terribly unfit generally. You should come have a go one day - just rock up to D grade at Murrarie and have a hit. D grade is usually pretty chilled out. I'm sure you'll do one and think 'what have I been waiting for?'

The riverloop is more dangerous than D grade at Muzz!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dazmuzza said:

They do most of the planning via their own private TeamApp. But it is crit focused. There isn't that many opportunities for TT stuff generally. I think thats the case for most big cycling clubs.

I've done a few crits and I'm terribly unfit generally. You should come have a go one day - just rock up to D grade at Murrarie and have a hit. D grade is usually pretty chilled out. I'm sure you'll do one and think 'what have I been waiting for?'

The riverloop is more dangerous than D grade at Muzz!

All good. I think just for the sake of having the TTs on the calendar and the thought of racing a bike around Lakeside, I'll go with Hamilton when the time is right.

I'll definitely come and race at Muzz one day. I'm only at Carindale so it takes all of 10 minutes to get there by bike. Maybe I can lead you out for the win! I'll be the Cal Naughton Jr to your Ricky Bobby :P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BNothling said:

All good. I think just for the sake of having the TTs on the calendar and the thought of racing a bike around Lakeside, I'll go with Hamilton when the time is right.

I'll definitely come and race at Muzz one day. I'm only at Carindale so it takes all of 10 minutes to get there by bike. Maybe I can lead you out for the win! I'll be the Cal Naughton Jr to your Ricky Bobby :P.

Haha, I'd probably be the worst person to try lead out. I'm unsure if I could even make it to the end of a race at the moment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Haha, I'd probably be the worst person to try lead out. I'm unsure if I could even make it to the end of a race at the moment!

I'll definitely come up and have a burn. I'll be interested to see how it all works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/07/2019 at 7:24 PM, BNothling said:

So I'm going to throw my hat in the ring for the TT on the 17th of August after chatting with Louise from CQ. I'd love to do the Kingaroy QLD Championships but it's the day before the Sunshine Coast 70.3.

I’ll be at the one on the 17th with a tent set up if you want to join us. I’ll also be at Kingaroy, Sunny Coast HIM have given approval for a late racking of bike Saturday evening if needed, I’m sure they’d accomodate you if you wanted to do both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tomsey said:

I’ll be at the one on the 17th with a tent set up if you want to join us. I’ll also be at Kingaroy, Sunny Coast HIM have given approval for a late racking of bike Saturday evening if needed, I’m sure they’d accomodate you if you wanted to do both.

Which tent is that mate? I'll keep an eye out for it and park my butt in there if you have room and that's ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Which tent is that mate? I'll keep an eye out for it and park my butt in there if you have room and that's ok?

It’ll be a red Yakima tent, there’ll be a tandem in there and a few single bikes. More than welcome, we’re a pretty easy going bunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Tomsey said:

It’ll be a red Yakima tent, there’ll be a tandem in there and a few single bikes. More than welcome, we’re a pretty easy going bunch.

I'll see how it plays out. I imagine that I'll be welcome until I start warming up on the LeMond and nobody can hear themselves think. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope your bike is OK Cranky.

Looks like you're in the market for a new helmet. I hope you don't let it deter you from racing though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Hope your bike is OK Cranky.

Looks like you're in the market for a new helmet. I hope you don't let it deter you from racing though.

Guessing there was a crash? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Turts said:

Guessing there was a crash? 

Green whistle was needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Green whistle was needed.

Ooo shit, that's no good. 

Hope turned out nothing  serious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Turts said:

Ooo shit, that's no good. 

Hope turned out nothing  serious

No breaks, but a precautionary trip the the hospital. Of all the times for her phone to die. No hospital selfies. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Hope your bike is OK Cranky.

Looks like you're in the market for a new helmet. I hope you don't let it deter you from racing though.

I just got it last season 🤦‍♀️

1 hour ago, Turts said:

Guessing there was a crash? 

Someone up a head had an overlapping wheel.  😡😡😡 There was a gust of wind which then caused one-wheel to hit another and a cyclist to come down. I was behind that and had nowhere to go except over her and the handlebars!

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Green whistle was needed.

It was amazing.  I sent some fantastic messages whilst on it and had a really awesome phone call with my best friend, so I'm told! 🤣

18 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I expect to see her on the trainer tomorrow at 4am

I'll do my best. Trouble walking up stairs at the moment. Not sure I have the rotation needed in my hip....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No breaks, but a precautionary trip the the hospital. Of all the times for her phone to die. No hospital selfies. :)

The lovely nurse put it on charge for me. Gotta love the 'before and after' green whistle shots.  Lol

He's a couple...

received_2396468813959047.jpeg

received_1314950945347674.jpeg

IMG-0b973501f0423aaed75541fb943046a9-V.jpg

IMG-ed8ce9e346a54c3ecbe30f8f378f6d47-V.jpg

20190810_185554.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try harder next time, didn't even need stitches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Try harder next time, didn't even need stitches.

No thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch! Hope you're ok and recover soon Cranky!

I'm all entered for Saturday and the ITT. Absolutely twitching to get out there and have a go. Created my warm up Spotify playlist today so I'm good to go! I've been put in Cat D and I'm not eligible for points or anything so I'm just going to go full send and see how I go.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BNothling said:

Ouch! Hope you're ok and recover soon Cranky!

I'm all entered for Saturday and the ITT. Absolutely twitching to get out there and have a go. Created my warm up Spotify playlist today so I'm good to go! I've been put in Cat D and I'm not eligible for points or anything so I'm just going to go full send and see how I go.

I like your tactics! Full send is the only way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1:23:00 kick off for me on Saturday.

Went almost full send at Murarrie yesterday and had my rear tube valve snap in half through the downhill corner to the S/F straight. Lost all pressure in an explosive moment that sent me off into the paddock. Took my bike to the shop and they found the broken off valve lodged up inside between the tube and the internal surface of the wheel. They've never seen anything like it. Hopefully doesn't happen again on Saturday or at the 70.3. 

I'm double miffed because I was feeling pretty good and holding a decent pace. Disc wheels are fun. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Lost all pressure in an explosive moment that sent me off into the paddock.

I've had an explosive moment on the bike before after a bad curry the night before. Unfortunately for me it wasn't a tube.

A shame really - I really liked those bib knicks!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, BNothling said:

an explosive moment that sent me off into the paddock

 

25 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

I've had an explosive moment on the bike before after a bad curry the night before. Unfortunately for me it wasn't a tube.

A shame really - I really liked those bib knicks!

See, if you'd gone off into the paddock like BNothling you could still wear the knicks.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

See, if you'd gone off into the paddock like BNothling you could still wear the knicks.

I just about needed new ones after it happened. Had the bike on a decent lean due to crosswind, mid corner and was on the aero bars. Little bit of poo came out.

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/07/2019 at 6:18 PM, Mike Del said:

I have a couple of pairs of unused Lycra shoe covers , short ones. Think I picked them up on a Wiggle special trying to bump my order up to free postage 😎

One pair is yours if you’d like them Cranky, they’re red though.

I haven’t forgotten Cranky, I’ve been in hospital for a while but should be home soon and I’ll get it sorted. Which squad at centenary pool are you in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike Del said:

I haven’t forgotten Cranky, I’ve been in hospital for a while but should be home soon and I’ll get it sorted. Which squad at centenary pool are you in?

Hospital?! 😳 Hope you're ok.

4.15am Monday, Wednesday or Friday, depending on the rest of my schedule... but after my stack I wont be back for another week or two. Don't stress. Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sitting here overthinking things now. How much earlier than my start time do I need to turn up? 10 minutes to get sorted on arrival, warm up takes about 20 minutes, allow another 10 to get the back wheel changed and gear sorted, 15 minutes to sign on and get transponder.

What's parking like? Do I have to lug everything to the start line or just warm up near my car on the side of the road and then roll in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I'm sitting here overthinking things now. How much earlier than my start time do I need to turn up? 10 minutes to get sorted on arrival, warm up takes about 20 minutes, allow another 10 to get the back wheel changed and gear sorted, 15 minutes to sign on and get transponder.

What's parking like? Do I have to lug everything to the start line or just warm up near my car on the side of the road and then roll in?

Sounds like you might need time for a nervous number 2 as well.

I think give yourself more time than you think, maybe an hour. 

People were warming up near their cars at Elimbah.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Sounds like you might need time for a nervous number 2 as well.

I think give yourself more time than you think, maybe an hour. 

People were warming up near their cars at Elimbah.

Good luck.

Agreed. If you did this every weekend, then assign times & arrive at the last possible moment. 

First time - get there an hour before. Look at some bikes build up a bit of nervous energy, and make sure you aren't rushed at the end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Make sure you've got enough cotton balls with vaporub in them to stuff up your nose. 

Shave down at last possible minute (in car 20 mins before) to save watts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BNothling said:

I'm sitting here overthinking things now. How much earlier than my start time do I need to turn up? 10 minutes to get sorted on arrival, warm up takes about 20 minutes, allow another 10 to get the back wheel changed and gear sorted, 15 minutes to sign on and get transponder.

What's parking like? Do I have to lug everything to the start line or just warm up near my car on the side of the road and then roll in?

There's no transponder, just pin your number in your jersey. 

Are we taking Pinkenba?

2 mins to register.

Parking is not an issue. 

Beyond the start line 5 minutes before you race.

The rest is up to you.

Enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good work today Cranky. Only bike racing for a couple months and already out there with the whole family volunteering.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...