Cranky

Hamilton Wheelers

2 hours ago, Limited said:

Did you still podium with only your runners?

1st.

From the results on their webpage, there may have only been 1 in the AG though.

What's that about "you can only race those that turn up"?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Limited said:

Did you still podium with only your runners?

Yes. First. But all I had to do was is finish! There wasn't anyone else in my age group.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Yes. First. But all I had to do was is finish! There wasn't anyone else in my age group.

Don't tell them that. I have a friend who wins his age group at a regional race every year. He then brags on line how he dominated his age group (he's the only one in his age group)

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

1st.

From the results on their webpage, there may have only been 1 in the AG though.

What's that about "you can only race those that turn up"?

Probably stole all their shoes! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Don't tell them that. I have a friend who wins his age group at a regional race every year. He then brags on line how he dominated his age group (he's the only one in his age group)

In some age groups finishing at all is probably worth bragging about. Still beating those.on the couch (or the gopher

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Forget about the last part and just tell everyone about that time you rocked up and beat all the cyclists wearing only your runner. And in only your second race

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Lol. Yeah, I can't do that. Even the few times I've beaten AA7 I've owned up to the fact that she was sick / broken, whatever.  I wont brag about the win unless it's fair and square. So I'm yet to brag!! Lol. Never won a fair and square race.

15 hours ago, Cranky said:

The best kind of victory! By default! :)

2 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

The best kind of victory! By default! :)

Yep, dont have to bust a gut and can keep yourself looking good for the finish line photo :lol: 

• Like 1

On 17/06/2019 at 9:35 AM, pieman said:

Tell me more? I'd like to do TTs around the place but I thought most of them were limited to club members.. How many TTs are available around SEQ to do? Seems like FatPom has it so much better in this regard...

Most of the QLD clubs now have Open Restricted races which means any club can attend, includes Elimbah and Pinkemba. CQ are also running a 4 RND series, next one is North Arm 6 July where you can use a non UCI bike (you get a finish time but aren’t recognised for placings). RND 3 TBA 17 August and RND 4 (QLD State Championships) TBA 7 September.

How are these socks?

Thanks, Willie! I hope the team approve. 🤣

received_2485275088370057.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Terrible 

🤦‍♀️😣😢🙄😕😟😤😢🙁😭😦😧😩😳😡😋

Should have been blue to match the bike & kit.

How did you go. Conditions would have been tough in the breeze. One way at least.

About 15mm too long..... 

Edited by Cat Lady
Fat fingers
  • Sad 1

Not sure but I think there were only 2 other girls so I should have podiumed!

The wind one way was a bit strong! 😩

Screenshot_20190714-110505_Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20190714-110514_Connect.jpg

7 hours ago, Cranky said:

How are these socks?

Thanks, Willie! I hope the team approve. 🤣

Forget the socks, that number pinning and your loose top is costing you serious time.  

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Forget the socks, that number pinning and your loose top is costing you serious time.  

Slow tyres and they're installed backwards... #secondsmatter #theslowtwitchway #whereispinkfont

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, pieman said:

Slow tyres and they're installed backwards... #secondsmatter #theslowtwitchway #whereispinkfont

I know you're taking the piss but really, that top and number, anyone that thinks that doesn't need addressing simply doesn't understand TTing.

Not sure why on earth seconds wouldn't matter?  It's a friggin TT!

5 hours ago, BNothling said:

I'd love to get into TT racing in the near future. When is the next one?

13 Oct but it's for club members only. You'll have to join up!

4 hours ago, Tyno said:

Black socks is very Lance. 

No it has to be black shoes/black socks 

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

Dirt bar tape

Glasses on the inside 

small chain ring 

no skin suit 

Old mate should be holding you ready to go (so you can be clipped in) 

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Should have been blue to match the bike & kit.

Should have been aero overshoe covers (that match the kit) 

Seriously, it's awesome to see you out there giving road racing a go. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

I passed

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

I know you're taking the piss but really, that top and number, anyone that thinks that doesn't need addressing simply doesn't understand TTing.

When you're going my snail pace, this is the least of my worries!

6 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

No it has to be black shoes/black socks 

Dirt bar tape

Glasses on the inside 

small chain ring 

no skin suit 

Old mate should be holding you ready to go (so you can be clipped in) 

Should have been aero overshoe covers (that match the kit) 

Seriously, it's awesome to see you out there giving road racing a go. 

What is dirt bar tape?

Glasses - I had a skull cap on to keep me warm, they wouldn't fit

I was in the small chain ring until I got going

Club uniform

He did hold me just after this photo was taken

Lol.  Shoe covers aren't going to help me enough. 

Thanks 😁

Edited by Cranky

38 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I passed

When you're going my snail pace, this is the least of my worries!

wrong wrong. It always matters in a TT. You  are simply leaving free time on the table. If you don't care doing your best then crack on.   I've only been TTing for 20yrs though, so clearly clueless:whistling:

No point in asking questions then reject all the suggestions from those that actually do it.

I'm out.

Edited by FatPom

38 minutes ago, Cranky said:

13 Oct but it's for club members only. You'll have to join up!

Will seriously look at this after the 70.3. Can I sign up for the club just for the TT?

Not taking the piss just didn't want to be attacked for being too serious on her.. I'm in latex tubes and clothes 2 sizes too small to try and get every "free" second I can

10 hours ago, BNothling said:

Will seriously look at this after the 70.3. Can I sign up for the club just for the TT?

Cycling Qld has TTs also, for anyone, don't need to be in a club. Check their calendar. Two left this year I think, maybe Aug and Sept.

10 hours ago, FatPom said:

wrong wrong. It always matters in a TT. You  are simply leaving free time on the table. If you don't care doing your best then crack on.   I've only been TTing for 20yrs though, so clearly clueless:whistling:

No point in asking questions then reject all the suggestions from those that actually do it.

I'm out.

Cranky can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think she is out to break any speed records or make cycling TTs her thing. I think she is just trying something new and adding some variety into her training. So while all those things will give her a few seconds, I don't think it bothers her really. 

6 hours ago, AA7 said:

Cycling Qld has TTs also, for anyone, don't need to be in a club. Check their calendar. Two left this year I think, maybe Aug and Sept.

Thank you. I'll have a look!

So I'm going to throw my hat in the ring for the TT on the 17th of August after chatting with Louise from CQ. I'd love to do the Kingaroy QLD Championships but it's the day before the Sunshine Coast 70.3.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BNothling said:

So I'm going to throw my hat in the ring for the TT on the 17th of August after chatting with Louise from CQ. I'd love to do the Kingaroy QLD Championships but it's the day before the Sunshine Coast 70.3.

Is your bike compliant?

25 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Is your bike compliant?

Absolutely not. I'm not eligible for points in the series, which I'm not interested in anyway. The following is from my emails today with CQ.

"For the Time Trial Series we allow non UCI Legal Bikes and they are shown in the event result as non compliant and do not count for Series Points and as the State Championships also count as Rd 4 of the Series this also applies."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Absolutely not. I'm not eligible for points in the series, which I'm not interested in anyway. The following is from my emails today with CQ.

"For the Time Trial Series we allow non UCI Legal Bikes and they are shown in the event result as non compliant and do not count for Series Points and as the State Championships also count as Rd 4 of the Series this also applies."

Things have changed a lot since I rode. I had to ride my road bike with clip-ons.

I guess my next question for anyone who has raced one of the CQ ITT races surrounds how it all works?

Are the roads closed? I'm assuming that you can bring a trainer to do warm-ups? I also read on the CQ website that the only kit that you can wear is from approved teams/sponsors or plain kit. Is this actually a thing or is it one of those rules that are on paper but nobody really cares?

1 minute ago, BNothling said:

I guess my next question for anyone who has raced one of the CQ ITT races surrounds how it all works?

Are the roads closed? I'm assuming that you can bring a trainer to do warm-ups? I also read on the CQ website that the only kit that you can wear is from approved teams/sponsors or plain kit. Is this actually a thing or is it one of those rules that are on paper but nobody really cares?

I did the first one, and I felt like a kid on her first day at school. But it was pretty simple.

Roads were not closed, but I saw very few cars, quiet 'country' roads at Elimbah. 

Plenty of people on their trainers warming up. 

Most were in a club kit.

A few days before the race, they'll put out a start list with your start time (in 30second intervals). Turn up, sign in, get your jersey number and bike transponder and zip ties to attach to your bike. They do bike checks to see if your bike is compliant or not. Someone will hold you at the start. Go for your life.

4 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I haven't raced them for about 6 years, but the place is full of guys warming up on rollers. I don't think I actually saw any resistance trainers though.

And yes, they are strict on kit. I've seen them make people turn jerseys inside-out. If you don't have anything without sponsor stuff on it (and that means anything like pro-team kit, or tri-kit with large branding), then just buy a cheap plain top a size too small for these races.

Thanks guys. Might have to see if I can source some blank kit from somewhere, or borrow something from someone.

This one is out near Yamanto on some quiet road so hopefully it is quiet, or I can find a forgiving motorist for me to draft behind :whistling:

I was just going to wear the kit that's in this photo: 

I'm the guy on the right with the hugely unaerodynamic nose :D

19148913_10154763663708063_3467079249117012119_n.jpg

Edited by BNothling
Imbed photo

1 minute ago, BNothling said:

Thanks guys. Might have to see if I can source some blank kit from somewhere, or borrow something from someone.

This one is out near Yamanto on some quiet road so hopefully it is quiet, or I can find a forgiving motorist for me to draft behind :whistling:

I was just going to wear the kit that's in this photo: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154763663708063&set=t.650776090&type=3&theater

I'm the guy on the right with the hugely unaerodynamic nose :D

Must only be visible to friends.  :cry:

If whatever is across the front is not the cloths brand, then it probably won't be allowed. Even then they may say it's too big for a brand name & make you turn it inside out. Those other ones wouldn't have a hope.

The reason they do it is because a team sponsor has to pay CQ for the privilege of advertising on jerseys, so they are protecting the value of that sponsorship.

22 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If whatever is across the front is not the cloths brand, then it probably won't be allowed. Even then they may say it's too big for a brand name & make you turn it inside out. Those other ones wouldn't have a hope.

The reason they do it is because a team sponsor has to pay CQ for the privilege of advertising on jerseys, so they are protecting the value of that sponsorship.

Makes sense. I'll have to dig around and see what I can find for cheap. I really like that kit, it's a race cut and fits like a glove. I was planning on turning up in my tri suit but that has branding on it too.

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I haven't raced them for about 6 years, but the place is full of guys warming up on rollers. I don't think I actually saw any resistance trainers though.

And yes, they are strict on kit. I've seen them make people turn jerseys inside-out. If you don't have anything without sponsor stuff on it (and that means anything like pro-team kit, or tri-kit with large branding), then just buy a cheap plain top a size too small for these races.

I raced in Cupcake Cartel cycling kit, it has sponsors all over it, no one pulled me up at all.

1 minute ago, AA7 said:

I raced in Cupcake Cartel cycling kit, it has sponsors all over it, no one pulled me up at all.

Club race, or an open CQ race?

23 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Depends what club is running the event.  Under

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Club race, or an open CQ race?

CQ