Hamilton Wheelers

On 16/05/2019 at 11:11 AM, Bored@work said:

Tip no: 8 Get your socks height sorted

Did I get it right?

20190615_083139.thumb.jpg.a43b824ab4cbda934c98846c91167326.jpg

10 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Did I get it right?

A smidge low in my opinion, but passable.

What jersey are you wearing? Make it simple without sponsors names on it.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

32 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A smidge low in my opinion, but passable.

What jersey are you wearing? Make it simple without sponsors names on it.

Any better? I pulled them up. 

15605540819067926352025266157530.jpg

4 minutes ago, pieman said:

Running socks... there's your problem..

I don't have any cycling socks. Let's just be greatful I'm wearing socks! 😟

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Nope. Too low and they don't match your knicks.

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Running socks... there's your problem..

The running shoes may be more of a problem! 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Cranky said:

Did I get it right?

30 years ago I was disqualified from a Hamilton Wheelers race for wearing socks like that. 😠

True story

Edited by Mike Del
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

Nope. Too low and they don't match your knicks.

Blue and yellow go great together!!

Ok, so where do I buy these "cycling" socks you speak of?

28 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I was just chatting to Cranky. I think we have a convert to the dark side. :)

The best thing about crit racing is u don’t have to get up at 2am to train

9 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

What's the end game though?  Is there a crit racing world champs on a Greek Island somewhere?

14 minutes ago, pieman said:

What's the end game though?  Is there a crit racing world champs on a Greek Island somewhere?

Yorkshire this year, and Switzerland next. Unlike Ironman, you get to see different parts of the world.

54 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I just did parkrun in cycling socks 

We'll call it even

20190615_093841.jpg

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Or race. But what I liked about it is that you actually have to think, and smarts can beat power if you are good enough.

57 minutes ago, pieman said:

To look fresh. In my last crit  I thought I felt a cramp coming on. I could have slowed down.  So I just DNF’d . I had enough of a lead to win, but that’s not what crit racing is about. I have plenty of things I can be doing instead of racing in October when the season starts again. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cranky said:

My eyes! At least tell me you've got sleeves on your jersey.:lol:

3 hours ago, Cranky said:

I'll send you some cranky. You need 3/4 length not half length ;)

• Like 1

On 15/06/2019 at 2:27 PM, Cat Lady said:

Cycling closet in the valley

https://cyclecloset.com/product-category/riders-accessories/socks/

so don’t keep us in suspense - we need a race report ! 

It was 30 minutes + 2 laps. Started off nice and easy. Kept to the back for the first few laps. Don't really know how many. I lost track. It Started to get a bit messy after a while. The first few laps were just like one long train which was nice. But then it started to spread out widthways a bit and I wasn't really sure where I should be. Should you only pass on one side? And triathlon you can only pass on the right no matter where they are. Increasing if they are in the middle and you are directly behind them do you pass on the left or the right? A nice woman told me to jump on the back of her wheel and she took me up the front a bit. I thanked her at the end of the race for looking after me. I didn't spend very long on the front. Not until about the second last lap and then all of a sudden I heard a noise coming and sure enough it was a couple of guys putting the foot down. So I took off after them. And we regrouped by the next turn. That was the interesting part of the race. This happened about three or 4 times. People take off, everyone else would chase, and then it would calm back down to a Sunday stroll. The sprint finish was interesting. I was expecting everyone to go for it but they didn't. What's with that? I waited until about 200 m out from the finish line before I got out of the saddle. Was waiting for a group to fly by but they never did. I don't get it. I thought the purpose was to win the race? It seems like quite a few didn't bother trying? Anyway I had a great time and can't wait until the next one. I believe next week it is up at Elimbah, but I'm not sure what time. Have emailed the club and am waiting to hear back.

On 15/06/2019 at 3:38 PM, FatPom said:

My eyes! At least tell me you've got sleeves on your jersey.:lol:

Yes. See photo. 

23 hours ago, Tyno said:

What was the experience like Cranky?

Love love loved it.

• Like 3

Great work Jo.

There can be a few reasons that some don’t sprint at the finish.  Not everyone is able to kick at the end, some folks don’t want to win in case they get bumped up a grade, some might have done a long ride that morning etc. 

The first few races are a real learning experience, so much to watch, lots of decisions to make. You are lucky all the breaks got closed down quickly. It’s worse when the break goes and no one wants to chase except you, that’s when the “discussions” start in the pack. 

As for the finishes there are lots of “tells” to look out for among your competition and they are likely looking for the same from you. A change of hand position, the click of a gear change etc will let you know who fancies themselves for a sprint. 

But the best bit is quite simply if you enjoy the “racing” part of triathlon you can get your fix cheaply, easily and often.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I believe next week it is up at Elimbah, but I'm not sure what time.

That'll be a road race rather than a crit. It should be a lot simpler to understand, but if it's the same course we used to use, there will be quite a few rolling hills, so a lot of opportunities for small groups to try to get away. It's a fun course.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

if they are in the middle and you are directly behind them do you pass on the left or the right?

Ideally, you'd go to the outside of the track, usually to your left at Nundah.

But, as you race more, you'll learn more.

Sitting at the back of the strung out line might seem like the safe bet to start with, but can get you in trouble if a surge hits and you're wayy back.

Find that nice lady again next time! :D

As for the sprint, my one and only win came from a very stupid solo move with half a lap to go that no one covered.

Sometimes it doesn't seem logical, you just roll with what unfolds.

• Like 1

The sprint finish was interesting. I was expecting everyone to go for it but they didn't. What's with that?

Many just use crit racing for good endurance training and might not even be interested in sprinting for the win. 

Should you only pass on one side?

You can pass on any side in racing. Good idea to try communicate if you are though.

Well done on doing so well in your first race!

12 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That'll be a road race rather than a crit. It should be a lot simpler to understand, but if it's the same course we used to use, there will be quite a few rolling hills, so a lot of opportunities for small groups to try to get away. It's a fun course.

I did the TT up here a few weeks ago. Bumpy roads. 

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

I did the TT up here a few weeks ago. Bumpy roads. 

Tell me more? I'd like to do TTs around the place but I thought most of them were limited to club members.. How many TTs are available around SEQ to do? Seems like FatPom has it so much better in this regard...

17 hours ago, Cranky said:

It was 30 minutes + 2 laps. Started off nice and easy. Kept to the back for the first few laps. Don't really know how many. I lost track. It Started to get a bit messy after a while. The first few laps were just like one long train which was nice. But then it started to spread out widthways a bit and I wasn't really sure where I should be. Should you only pass on one side? And triathlon you can only pass on the right no matter where they are. Increasing if they are in the middle and you are directly behind them do you pass on the left or the right? A nice woman told me to jump on the back of her wheel and she took me up the front a bit. I thanked her at the end of the race for looking after me. I didn't spend very long on the front. Not until about the second last lap and then all of a sudden I heard a noise coming and sure enough it was a couple of guys putting the foot down. So I took off after them. And we regrouped by the next turn. That was the interesting part of the race. This happened about three or 4 times. People take off, everyone else would chase, and then it would calm back down to a Sunday stroll. The sprint finish was interesting. I was expecting everyone to go for it but they didn't. What's with that? I waited until about 200 m out from the finish line before I got out of the saddle. Was waiting for a group to fly by but they never did. I don't get it. I thought the purpose was to win the race? It seems like quite a few didn't bother trying? Anyway I had a great time and can't wait until the next one. I believe next week it is up at Elimbah, but I'm not sure what time. Have emailed the club and am waiting to hear back.

Yes. See photo. 

Love love loved it.

I thought I saw you out there.  Well done on doing your first.  I think the lady that helped you out was racing a grade down (misread the race timings) so wasn't allowed to compete so she just rolled around.  She does triathlons as well but is spending a year doing focusing on bike racing.  

There is soooo much bike racing in Brisbane every weekend.  Between the clubs putting on races and open events (cycling QLD backed) there's multiple races of different types every weekend.  For example this Saturday there is crit racing at Muzz, Elimbah club road race and Sunday is Lifecycle classic road race.

15 minutes ago, ironmandan said:

For example this Saturday there is crit racing at Muzz, Elimbah club road race and Sunday is Lifecycle classic road race.

Quite a few will race Muzza in the morning, then head up to Elimbah for the RR in the afternoon.

Once you get into the swing of it Cranky, you can find a group that's riding up to Elimbah before the race. It makes it a nice big day.

2 hours ago, pieman said:

Tell me more? I'd like to do TTs around the place but I thought most of them were limited to club members.. How many TTs are available around SEQ to do? Seems like FatPom has it so much better in this regard...

Yeh, unlike Cranky, I'm not brave enough for a crit race. I just looked on Cycling Qld calendar, did a one month 'race' membership which was about $10 I think and then entered. There are four TTs as part of the series. I might do the next one but the other dates dont suit me.

12 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Yeh, unlike Cranky, I'm not brave enough for a crit race.

I've found the riverloop is actually more sketchy than a crit race. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dazmuzza said:

I've found the riverloop is actually more sketchy than a crit race. 

That's why I never do the riverloop.

• Like 1