Cranky

Hamilton Wheelers

In the UK your grade (Cat) is printed on your licence and you can only race that grade. You Cat  up by getting points and can Cat down by getting a medical exemption or if your age/speed means you keep getting lapped and pulled out, they will Cat you down

Either way, you can't just turn up and burgle a  race like you can in Oz.

Not everyone starts at Cat 4,  I started at Cat 3 when I first arrived but I had to apply for it and provide evidence of racing elsewhere.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Why the tears? Did they put you in A-grade. :)

I thought that was sweat dripping down the side of my face from my forehead.

3 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

I'd be ignoring whatever grade they gave you - if you've never raced before, you should go in the lowest first. 

Also, I never bothered doing grading, I just showed up and paid my cash and they were more than happy to let me race :)

I am hoping this is the case

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Agreed. I raced C-grade first race. I couldn't comprehend racing D-grade. Depending on the numbers though, D-grade might be the best place to start unless they have separate ladies racing that day. C-grade generally averages just under 40km/h and speeds get very spikey.

I don't ever go 40 km per hour unless I'm going down the hill! I will be more than happy with D grade.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cranky said:

I don't ever go 40 km per hour unless I'm going down the hill! I will be more than happy with D grade.

:) FYI Cranky. I race D grade, and usually the race averages around the 38kph over the 35 mins. Frequently the bunch is over 40kph.

17 hours ago, Cranky said:

don't ever go 40 km per hour unless I'm going down the hill! I will be more than happy with D grade.

You’re forgetting you don’t need to be 12 bike lengths behind the bike in front 😂. Most people on here aren’t going to be able to hold 40kph for 35-40 mins if they’re riding solo. 

• Like 1

Crankster, get used to revving that diesel of yours. Those nice interval sessions on the trainer are about to seem tame :)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Why not self grade? Starting in the lowest grade seems a waste of time.

Well, because crit racing is more than just power and speed - knowing how to ride very close to people and knowing how to communicate in the group are key skills. Throwing people who've never ridden one into C and B grade is potentially pretty dangerous for the newbie and also the bunch. 

At least in the lower grade, its slightly less insane :) 

Edited by dazmuzza

14 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Well, because crit racing is more than just power and speed - knowing how to ride very close to people and knowing how to communicate in the group are key skills. Throwing people who've never ridden one into C and B grade is potentially pretty dangerous for the newbie and also the bunch. 

At least in the lower grade, its slightly less insane :) 

For Cranky I agree. For a stronger rider though, it would be a waste. I rode 1 race in D-grade out there, simply because I had no other option that day. I could have ridden away from them at any stage & stayed away. It would have done nothing for my skills, and nothing for keeping me interested in bike racing.

15 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

For Cranky I agree. For a stronger rider though, it would be a waste. I rode 1 race in D-grade out there, simply because I had no other option that day. I could have ridden away from them at any stage & stayed away. It would have done nothing for my skills, and nothing for keeping me interested in bike racing.

Cranky could sit on the back of C grade. The difference in skills between C & D isn't that big.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyno said:

Crankster, get used to revving that diesel of yours. Those nice interval sessions on the trainer are about to seem tame :)

I live nearby now, when is this happening, I need to go and watch....

I think C & D grades vary from club to club & one of the race organisers will help Cranky. Even better if there is someone to ride with her in her first race.

Cranky - I hope you have a blast ☺

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Surfer said:

Cranky didya race??

No, she was watching her little skippers all weekend.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2019 at 9:43 AM, dazmuzza said:

:) FYI Cranky. I race D grade, and usually the race averages around the 38kph over the 35 mins. Frequently the bunch is over 40kph.

Is there an E or F?! 😟

On 24/05/2019 at 2:35 PM, pieman said:

I live nearby now, when is this happening, I need to go and watch....

15th of June will be the first one that I can make, assuming Dazz can get my bike back in working order before then. The brake cables have stretched. Probably handy if these work!!

1 minute ago, Cranky said:

Is there an E or F?! 😟

15th of June will be the first one that I can make, assuming Dazz can get my bike back in working order before then. The brake cables have stretched. Probably handy if these work!!

If you havent watched them race, IMHO it would be good to do so before you jump in with them

And dont worry about average speeds, a bunch gets along a lot qucker than 1 person. You'll be part of the bunch & wont need to check your speed

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Surfer said:

If you havent watched them race, IMHO it would be good to do so before you jump in with them

And dont worry about average speeds, a bunch gets along a lot qucker than 1 person. You'll be part of the bunch & wont need to check your speed

I can't get there before then. 😞

4 hours ago, Cranky said:

Is there an E or F?! 😟

No, you dont need brakes in a crit race. That is how you'll cause a crash.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cranky said:

I can't get there before then. 😞

YouTube is your friend.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cranky said:

Is there an E or F?! 😟

Cranky, I struggled along in D at Muzz. I got dropped early and often. You’ll be fine. Find a friendly wheel and go with them. You have a better engine than I ever had. 

New brakes and cables. 

Ready for Saturday.  (The bike ... I'm not!) 😟🤢

20190609_182629.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cranky said:

New brakes and cables. 

20190609_182629.jpg

I'll be there with my popcorn

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

New brakes and cables. 

20190609_182629.jpg

Have you spoken to anyone from the club about going for a ride with them beforehand to learn what you can from them. There is sooooo much you can glean about racecraft from some of those old guys in Hamilton club.

• Like 1

I've never seen a 10 mm stem on a roadie before.

Actually, that whole front end is a bit all over the place.

5 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Actually, that whole front end is a bit all over the place

I've never seen a setup quite like it. Even my steerer tube wasn't that bad - and that was while I was getting it set before trimming it off. 

And needs new bar tape. You did the kids bike right? Easy peasy! Put some gleaming new white on, or black if it's hard to keep clean. 

58 minutes ago, Tyno said:

You should turn the stem up the other way & move some of the stack from above to below it.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2019 at 7:00 PM, pieman said:

I'll be there with my popcorn

And tissues?

On 09/06/2019 at 8:04 PM, Tyno said:

That's it from 8 years ago. 

I'm scared.  They've put me in C2 and that bike is hard work! Went for a ride this morning at the track. Did 30 mins + 2 laps. So slow!! I'm gonna get dropped 😭

20190612_063718.jpg

20190612_063723.jpg

20190612_063726.jpg

39 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I'm scared.  They've put me in C2 and that bike is hard work! Went for a ride this morning at the track. Did 30 mins + 2 laps. So slow!! I'm gonna get dropped

A few years ago I did a 20km ITT on the track & did 40.1km/h. Average HR of 168. Absolutely killed me. I used to do 30km Crits there at over 40km/h talking to the guys next to me & coasting sections. Average HR would be in the 120's. Forget TT training for it. Practice surging.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

And tissues?

That's it from 8 years ago. 

I'm scared.  They've put me in C2 and that bike is hard work! Went for a ride this morning at the track. Did 30 mins + 2 laps. So slow!! I'm gonna get dropped 😭

That was a pointless exercise. How much spiking, surging out of corners did you do? (you know, like I told you to days ago!)

On 09/06/2019 at 7:46 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

There is sooooo much you can glean about racecraft from some of those old guys in Hamilton club.

I still get nightmares because of those old guys in Hamilton lol

3 hours ago, FatPom said:

That was a pointless exercise. How much spiking, surging out of corners did you do? (you know, like I told you to days ago!)

I did that in my trainer road training 😁

Not that m an expert, but I would have thought surging out of corners in real life and quick sprints on the track would be of more value for race prep?

39 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Not that m an expert, but I would have thought surging out of corners in real life and quick sprints on the track would be of more value for race prep?

There aren't any actual corners sharp enough to surge out of on the Nundah Crit Track, but the race itself will surge up & down. When I did a TT there, there wasn't an instant that I took pressure off the pedals. The shot below shows the track. It's 1.2km long & they only use the outer loop. 

ps Cranky: If the westerlies are blowing hard (which they often do through Winter), Don't lead out early in the final straight.

image.png.301798c549f5f0fa05efe6c23b244b6f.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

quite.  

Whether there are sharp corners or not, surging out of corners in training will be invaluable.  Looking at the course, having a really good kick could very valuable. On a course with sharp corners or a little hill, you can make an assumption on where the kicks and surges will come but on a non technical track like the one in the picture, the kicks could come at anytime.

@Cranky I linked this on strava https://www.strava.com/activities/167747345

That's my first crit attempt at murarrie, back in the day.

It doesn't matter if you get dropped, just keep turning them over.

If you can't turn them over, there's no shame in rolling off the track.

It will be good for you and you'll probably do better than you fear.

Just be ready to hit the gas!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

My club did an intro to crit racing last year...a few sessions run by experienced local racers at Murrarie track.

We did things like practice riding very close together, rolling turns, breakaway tactics, closing gaps and surging. Didn't really do anything beyond that - though it was really good for me to get used to the basic skills which made me way more comfortable when I finally did do a race.

You can have all the power and strength in the world, but if you can't ride very close together or know when to close gaps, you're not really going to do that well in a bunch....unless, well, perhaps if you just solo straight from the start!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nealo said:

My first Crit I remember tasting blood................my lungs hurt that bad.

That's the way it should be. :)

My favourites were the point scores on the crit track. 30 laps, points every lap, with extras at the end. 2 man breakaways for 3 or 4 laps hurt like hell, but amazingly you can recover in the pack to do it again before the end.

24 minutes ago, nealo said:

I've had a couple of wins here and there but only two were from a  break on a crit, one solo, one with another guy. Tasted blood for quite some time after those!

Track racing gets you used to tasting blood, Points race and the Devil mostly.  faaark:blowup:

17 minutes ago, Tyno said:

I'm sure all this talk of blood tasting is doing wonders for Cranky's nerves :D

meh, anyone that teaches kids for a living is pretty fearless :lol:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, nealo said:

Was that when you turned in in team sky kit? 

That was hilarious :lol:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, roxii said:

Was that when you turned in in team sky kit? 

That was hilarious :lol:  

Na I waited a couple weeks before I wore that :D

On 12/06/2019 at 1:23 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

There aren't any actual corners sharp enough to surge out of on the Nundah Crit Track, but the race itself will surge up & down. When I did a TT there, there wasn't an instant that I took pressure off the pedals. The shot below shows the track. It's 1.2km long & they only use the outer loop. 

ps Cranky: If the westerlies are blowing hard (which they often do through Winter), Don't lead out early in the final straight.

image.png.301798c549f5f0fa05efe6c23b244b6f.png

That looks like a fast flowing crit track. Perfect for a first race (no sharp tight corners)

15 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

That looks like a fast flowing crit track. Perfect for a first race (no sharp tight corners)

It is, and yes it is.

It's also a very very smooth surface, with just the tiniest hints of rises & falls in a couple of spots, but otherwise dead flat. The only spot to watch out for is the left hand bend near the 6 tanks. Inexperienced people don't follow the track properly, cut across other riders at that point, and can cause trouble.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

It doesn't matter which way the wind is blowing at the Nundahdome, it's always a headwind around that last corner and the whole way up the straight. :D