Ex-Hasbeen

How well do you drive?

It a few months old, but I saw this article today. I thought in my experience I'd have to agree, as I really do scan the road well ahead of where I am, and can usually predict what's likely to happen before it does. That however is from doing a lot of road cycling, in often heavy traffic. For those who spend most of their time on a trainer, do you think it has any effect? Maybe you see cyclists & motorbikes, but do you scan the road like a cyclist does?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2018/10/09/cyclists-are-better-drivers-than-motorists-finds-study/?fbclid=IwAR2PXZEk0oXZFuRFe0XGpq6JUoXYexpFm-6HCBt1_B8PYmXoinavto4DW0A#45c3afbd6f6c

image.thumb.png.3deb3e333ad7d05e06802c6497dd3352.png

I would agree and add to that people that have grown up in sailing dinghies that this also helps immensely.  The ability to judge speed, distance, angles in constantly changing conditions, means you never trust anyone and constantly have eyes darting all over the place.

• Like 1

I think it seems to rings true for me. Road riding (plus maybe age/experience) has made me hyper vigilant when driving. I'm constantly anticipating and prepared for those around me on the road to do something stupid. In relation to cyclists on the road, I'd say that being a cyclist myself helps me make better decisions when driving near riders, i.e. not hammering past bikes to then turn in front of them, giving 1m+ space, slowing down and staying behind the bikes if it's not appropriate to overtake, etc, etc. A lot of these things seem completely foreign to some drivers.

• Like 1

Given almost every Supercars driver rides a lot as some most of the F1 guys, Id tend to agree.

I think I've got pretty good spacial awareness, but I'm shit racing in a gokart 

• Like 1

Im not cocky enough to say Im a "good" driver, most people who think that, generally arent. 

I have however done a few advanced driver courses and stuff which I think makes me an aware and safe driver, that coupled with being a cyclist and also now riding my scooter I think gives me good awareness,anticipation and, if needed, evasive skills. 

My daughter is a week away from going for her test, I have taught her for her 120 hours, but we thought she should have a "proper" driving lesson just to get a better understanding of the test requirements. 

When they came home, the instructor shook my hand and said I had done a great job of teaching my daughter and that apart from fine tuning her parking there was not much else he could teach her. I was pretty happy with that. 

• Like 4

I’m a shit driver. But I’m super careful when driving. I don’t take risks & allow plenty of space. 

My friends call me Miss Daisey as in driving Miss Daisey. 

Way above average (honestly - and it's not hard when you see how shit the average driver is today). 38yrs of driving, only one minor bingle which was partly my fault (a bloke & myself backed into each other in a carpark after a Uni biology exam cos our brains were fried).

Got out of some fatals through not panicking.  One that sticks is coming around a corner on the narrow Waterfall Way with the whole family in the car to see a semi coming at us mostly across our lane.  Rather than jam on the brakes and slide into him, I threaded the needle half off the road and squeezed through the gap. No braking!

Don't put it down to cycling though, rather due to driving vehicles on farms before I started cycling (motorbikes, utes),  and racing dirtbikes, losing control a lot esp in the wet, learning what happens, learning how to get out of it in one piece....though sometimes not on the motorbike = some big ouches.  This experience also gives you a great 'seat of the pants' feel for when you are on the edge of disaster.  And that over-reacting (steering, brakes) = disaster time.

Today's L/P system does not teach any of this.  An advanced driver training course does a bit, but even that won't give you enough 'heart in mouth' moments for your reactions to become instinctive.

Still, nothing goes pear-shaped as quick as a mountain bike 😁

I reckon true enough, the different perspective than being in the car adds something to how you think about driving.

As a road cyclist, when I'm in the car I'm much more aware of slower traffic, leaving space and especially other cyclists.

Going the other way is true.   When I did my heavy rigid license I was shocked how many people pull in front of a truck, even with 'driver under instruction' signs.  Scared the bejesus out of me and now I'm very very cautious about pulling in front of trucks.

I see many drivers who seem to have no spatial awareness of where their car "is" on the road or in a lane. A significant number drive on roads with a marked bike lane (solid line) with their left hand wheels IN the bike lane. I suspect these are the same drivers who can't parallel park, reverse into a parking spot, or turn without nudging a kerb.

gw

1 hour ago, gregorywannabe said:

I see many drivers who seem to have no spatial awareness of where their car "is" on the road or in a lane. A significant number drive on roads with a marked bike lane (solid line) with their left hand wheels IN the bike lane. I suspect these are the same drivers who can't parallel park, reverse into a parking spot, or turn without nudging a kerb.

gw

Agree, esp those towing caravans or horse floats.  Sure, the car misses you by a fair margin, but not what it is towing.

19 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Agree, esp those towing caravans or horse floats.  Sure, the car misses you by a fair margin, but not what it is towing.

Horse float drivers! AAAARRGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Samford has a very high number of horse owners, and also a particular dislike of cyclists. You get the same people complaining about cyclists holding them up, then driving 60km/h in the 80 zone because they don't want to upset the horse, and then they go on to tell drivers that they need to be extra careful around horse riders, because they are sitting on half a tonne of flighty animal that could go anywhere. FFS, don't ride it along the main road then.

And the abuse I copped was phenomenal when one posted that a cyclist nearly caused an accident because she came around a blind corner on a narrow road, and there was a cyclist a metre out from the edge and she had to brake suddenly. All I said was that she must have been driving too fast for the road and the conditions if that was the case. What if it had been a kid playing, or a cow on the road. Didn't the Samford horse society come down on me for that.

I consider myself a great driver.  I don't really speed much of at all, but probably more so about not affording fines than anything else.  Never had an accident, never had a ding, never opened a for into another car.  Have avoided lots of possible accidents over the years.  Can drive aggressively if I need to, generally just don't need to.  I wasn't a cyclist till much later, but I think my driving attitude has made me a safe cyclist, rather than the other way round.  I simply assume every other person on the road is about to kill me, and set my awareness accordingly.

I try to be both a cautious and courteous cyclist and that has passed onto my driving with the attitude of don’t trust anyone. I live in Bathurst where we a lot of roundabouts in town and there are so many drivers who don’t indicate where they are going. Also out on the open road we have to contend with trucks, tractors going slow, horse floats, caravans and wide loads. My favourite is the car towing a car trailer that is a lot wider than the car and as Comfotably Numb said, the car misses you but you nearly get swept up by the trailer.

I know it’s not cycle cool, but I have a rear vision mirror on the bike and it’s really helpful, especially out on the long stretches of open road where you can see vehicles coming from way back.

I think road cycling has made me a very safe and good driver..... I just wish the cops shared my opinion

I reckon I’m the only driver here who has rear ended a highway patrol car..... :lol:

.......and didn’t get booked

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Horse float drivers! AAAARRGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Samford has a very high number of horse owners, and also a particular dislike of cyclists. You get the same people complaining about cyclists holding them up, then driving 60km/h in the 80 zone because they don't want to upset the horse, and then they go on to tell drivers that they need to be extra careful around horse riders, because they are sitting on half a tonne of flighty animal that could go anywhere. FFS, don't ride it along the main road then.

And the abuse I copped was phenomenal when one posted that a cyclist nearly caused an accident because she came around a blind corner on a narrow road, and there was a cyclist a metre out from the edge and she had to brake suddenly. All I said was that she must have been driving too fast for the road and the conditions if that was the case. What if it had been a kid playing, or a cow on the road. Didn't the Samford horse society come down on me for that.

Yeah mate, my cycling calls to my wife when we ride in order of growing concern go:

"Motorbike back"

"Car back"

"Truck Back"

"Big frikin truck back"

"Caravan back"

"SHIT....HORSE FLOAT BACK"

26 minutes ago, roxii said:

I reckon I’m the only driver here who has rear ended a highway patrol car..... :lol:

.......and didn’t get booked

That doesn’t surprise me one bit. 

8 hours ago, roxii said:

Im not cocky enough to say Im a "good" driver, most people who think that, generally arent. 

I have however done a few advanced driver courses and stuff which I think makes me an aware and safe driver, that coupled with being a cyclist and also now riding my scooter I think gives me good awareness,anticipation and, if needed, evasive skills. 

My daughter is a week away from going for her test, I have taught her for her 120 hours, but we thought she should have a "proper" driving lesson just to get a better understanding of the test requirements. 

When they came home, the instructor shook my hand and said I had done a great job of teaching my daughter and that apart from fine tuning her parking there was not much else he could teach her. I was pretty happy with that. 

I'm 75% way through #4 learner (they refuse to do it with their mum) - that's over 24,000 minutes folks!. (With periodic ride-a-longs with the pro-instructor.)

On the cyclists make better drivers thing - where do we apply for the insurance discount? 

14 minutes ago, trifun said:

On the cyclists make better drivers thing - where do we apply for the insurance discount? 

In Britain. I hope FP is taking the offer up.

I was qualified to drive 3.5 tonne ambulances on blue lights, had driven luton vans, towed trailers consistently, moved 7.5 & 18 tonne trucks around on private land and my attitude to driving still completely changed when I started riding a bike on the road as an adult (not that I do a huge amount on the roads).

The awareness and sensitivity to vulnerable road users extends to other road users now and I consider myself a much better and more considerate driver because of it.

I really, really notice it when you're in a car with a non-cyclist and they pass a road bike. Even if they are intending to give a nice wide berth they really (in the main) don't know what wide means. 

Edited by monkie
  • Like 1

Just now, monkie said:

I really, really notice it when you're in a car with a non-cyclist and they pass a road bike. Even if they are intending to give a nice wide berth they really (in the main) don't know the meaning of what wide means. 

Agreed. If you are going past them & it is safe to cross the centre line to do it, why just go a little bit across & give them the minimum 1m or 1.5m like most people do. It takes no more effort & is no more dangerous to give them 3m clearance.

I learned to drive on the farm when I was 6 and my father drilled habits into me that remain today (always looking, never get distracted, drive to the conditions, indicate your intentions, remain calm, think about what you and doing and what others might do ..... etc etc). I have driven everything from articulated trucks, motorbikes (dirt and road), go-karts, buses, ski boats, fishing boats etc etc and the same rules still apply. 

When I started road cycling, it is amazing how some in the bunch just aren't aware of the conditions and how to ride to them, how not to put yourself in danger and how to demonstrate courtesy....

9 hours ago, monkie said:

I really, really notice it when you're in a car with a non-cyclist and they pass a road bike. Even if they are intending to give a nice wide berth they really (in the main) don't know what wide means. 

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Agreed. If you are going past them & it is safe to cross the centre line to do it, why just go a little bit across & give them the minimum 1m or 1.5m like most people do. It takes no more effort & is no more dangerous to give them 3m clearance.

Yes, I always give them way more than 1.5m, but notice many don't.