Sign in to follow this  
Bored@work

Kokoda Track

Since retirign from Ironman racing, I have been looking for my next challenge. My daughter has asked me to do the Kokoda trail with her as part of her year 10 school trip next year.

The school is arranging everything, flights, tour guides etc. It's a 9 day trek costing $5400 each. Plus boots, pack, poles etc. Tipping we won't see much change out of $12.5k.

My questions.

- Has anyone done it?

-Is it worth the money?

-recommendations on shoes, packs ets

- any tips in general.

$12.5k is a lot of coin for 9 days considering I could take the entire family to Europe for 3 weeks on not much more coin. 

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Track or trail? Make up your mind! 

58 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Your an ass. 

I would have thought you bald guys would stick together.  Disappointing 

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Your an ass. 

You’re an ass 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, roxii said:

You’re an ass 

My wife texted me the other day & said "Your wonderful" I texted back, "No, You're wonderful".

She's been so happy ever since. Should I tell her I was just correcting her grammar?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Track

Bored, a mate of mine is over there now and another friend did it last year, I'll put you in touch so you can ask them whatever you want

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Isn't Kokoda Trail the mob that runs the tours?

I can see it now. You’ll do it and come back saying it was harder than Ironman Busselton 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Surfer said:

I think you should go because your daughter asked you to go with her

When you look back at what you've shared with your daughter, whether it's a in a year's time or 20 years time, I doubt you'll even consider the expense.

This may become one of the best experiences you ever share.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bored@work said:

You took the bait. Track/trail who give a toss

Not me, but apparently some people really get their knickers in a twist over the “correct” term 

FWIW, I’d go if my daughter wanted me to go with her. 

Yep. After talking with a few people last night it we decided to pay the deposit. 

As my wife said Kona would cost $20k be full of Ironman wankers, only one day, and be all about one person. This is $12k for 10 days, 2 people & something we can do as a father / daughter experience. 

• Like 5

I think it’s a good decision.  

Will you be wearing compression socks?

Apparently there are some new wrist coolers out that could help regulate your temperature if it gets too hot.

• Haha 2

Little Miss is super keen to save up for the trip. She had an interview at the local coffee shop for a part time job this morning. She has a trial shift on Saturday morning.

I'm super proud of her but also dissapointed she didn't pick a cafe that sells donuts.......

15 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Little Miss is super keen to save up for the trip. She had an interview at the local coffee shop for a part time job this morning. She has a trial shift on Saturday morning.

I'm super proud of her but also dissapointed she didn't pick a cafe that sells donuts.......

She's looking out for her Dad. She knows it's easier to change something from the inside, and you'll be able to eat donuts there soon. :)

17 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I hope it is one of those trendy vegan places so you can eat there😋

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

I hope it is one of those trendy vegan places so you can eat there😋

It's all about smashed avacado & instagram photos. Thank god they have good coffee

• Like 1

important to comply with the wishes of the girl, for she may be wiping your bum at some stage in later years.

I have spent a little time in PNG but missed the opportunity to do Kokoda. It is more than being s tough slog. It’s knowing who and why it is important. It is an attitude as well as a legacy journey. 

Read up on it and be take the meaning of Kokoda with you. Your bond with your daughter will be very special. 

FM

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

I have spent a little time in PNG but missed the opportunity to do Kokoda. It is more than being s tough slog. It’s knowing who and why it is important. It is an attitude as well as a legacy journey. 

Read up on it and be take the meaning of Kokoda with you. Your bond with your daughter will be very special. 

FM

Already on to it. We have downloaded a podcast series that we will be listening to on our training runs. 

• Like 2

Please keep us up to date with the training , the trip over there & a report afterwards. As someone who doesnt have parents, Im loving this thread 🙂

• Like 1

I did it a couple of years ago through Kokoda Adventures under Charlie Lynn:  https://www.kokodatreks.com/treks/trek-leaders/major-charlie-lynn-oam-ol/

Amazing experience as we had Anzac Day there and went to the Dawn Service at Bomana Cemetry.

You need good and comfortable shoes, blister/lambs wool etc. for blisters - FEET health is key.

And they'll take you to only take 3 pairs of socks - take one pair for every day because if you cross a river, they never dry. On our trip it rained every afternoon we got into camp and drying clothes over the fire was only so so.  It's ok to put on damp clothes but damp socks would spell disaster for your feet.

ps. in relation to Track or Trail - The Aussies overwhelmingly referred to it as the Track. The yanks were more inclined to say Trail (when they eventually arrived).  

Read lots and get the most out of it.   The hiking is pretty easy if you're fit. If you're like me, it's the camping that's tough!! ha ha

• Like 1

On 17/05/2019 at 8:53 AM, Surfer said:

Please keep us up to date with the training , the trip over there & a report afterwards. As someone who doesnt have parents, Im loving this thread 🙂

Just dropped her off at her trial shift at the coffee shop.  Only an hour to see how she goes. 

Im more nervous than her. Been pacing the house for the last 30min staring at the clock 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bosco said:

Put us out of our misery - how did it go? 

She loved it. Wouldn’t stop talking about it all afternoon. She is going back for another trial next week. 

Dropping her at work for the first time was just like dropping her at school for the first time. 

I got the same damm bug stuck in my eye.

• Like 3