Flanman

Ahh.... the off season - or is it ?

For you anything between 120 and 158 is aerobic - long easy runs can be anywhere in that range and you're still building endurance - aerobic intervals are best done around 150-160 - you'll find your anaerobic  threshold is most likely up around 170-175 (depends how fit you are) 😎

You'd probably find you can run a long way (like in an Ironman) at 145-155 - it will pay to get good at that pace

What's the most reliable way to find your max HR?

I'm 55, and might see 159-162 occasionally on a sharp little hill on the MTB and feel like I could not go any harder, but maybe I'm being a woose?

I'm pretty keen to spend the 'off season' building my aerobic engine and enjoying it all more at lower intensities.

1 minute ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

A few years ago (late 40's) I thought my max HR was around 168. I could get to around that doing really hard efforts either running or riding (hill reps of Mt Coottha). Then a couple years later I was shown what it really was by my swim coach. I could regularly get mid to high 170's and even clocked 180 once. Like you, I couldn't have gone any harder on those running or riding efforts, but 200m reps in the pool did it for me in getting a higher HR showing.

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

You can get tested in a sport science lab. I had it done late in the 90s. I was lucky and got it for free. It is a bit pricey but you have the exact. Not sure of any specific labs but I read sometime last year about one.

FM

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

You can get tested in a sport science lab. I had it done late in the 90s. I was lucky and got it for free. It is a bit pricey but you have the exact. Not sure of any specific labs but I read sometime last year about one.

FM

Most universities would have the ability to put someone through such a test and at a much reduced rate to in the 'real world'...

39 minutes ago, pieman said:

Most universities would have the ability to put someone through such a test and at a much reduced rate to in the 'real world'...

I could probably arrange a group booking both in Sydney and possibly Melbourne if enough were interested? 

2 hours ago, pieman said:

They are normally looking for volunteers for the university open days. 4 people from my cycling team did it last year.

I would normally do it by warming up well - then running 3 x 400m with the second two being paced by someone faster than you - but you do need to be run fit and fresh - if you're tired from the couple of days before it won't go as high.

If someone is older, or unfit we often estimate it from a lighter test on the windtrainer - not many labs are interested in pushing someone who is not fit or is over 45 to their limits 🙄

56 minutes ago, AP said:

not many labs are interested in pushing someone who is not fit or is over 45 to their limits 🙄

Explains  why u use the 3x 400 & the light test on the wind trainer options

On 17 May 2019 at 7:59 AM, AP said:

Phil's books and interviews are geared towards the general public (likely to sue over anything) so he keeps figures low and "safe"

HRs vary from person to person - can vary as much as 20-30 beats from one person's max to another's max

The karvoven method individualises it - if you are fit and healthy - test yourself and get a true max HR - subtract your resting HR - this will give you your "working range" - take 80% of that and add your resting HR to that - this is the figure to stay below do develop your endurance and fuel efficiency

I have found that if you stay fit as you age your max HR doesn't drop off the way an age related HR is suggested to - when I was in my 40s my max HR was around 185 - when I was 60 I still reached 178 in a workout when I wasn't even searching for a max figure, just (gutsing out some bike intervals) 

One of the guys I train is in his 40s and has a max of 170 - another guy is 76 and his max is still over 180

The old formular of percentage of age is inaccurate for a serious athlete 😏

Agree with this.

Following Phil's guidelines is a good starting point for athletes new to using HR zones. If I'd known about HR and HR zones back in the 1980's, I would have been a way better runner.

i first heard about Maffetones work in 1993 at the World Cup on the Gold Coast and again on my level 1 coaches course in 1994. In late 1994 I attended a coaching workshop at the AIS with level 1 coaches from many different sports. There were presentation on the use of Har for various sports( in its infancy back then) and we were handed a lot of literature for different sports. The main focus was mostly on swimming and running using this method. Nothing made public for cycling back then. We also got to do the vol max, HR and stress test package they were conducting back then. My max HR back then was recorded as 203 and resting was 38 at age 32. These days resting HR is 45 and Max is around 185. 

I've always found it one of the more interesting sides to the sport and the effect using HR zones can affect training outcome, recovery and body fatigue the day after and the day after that.  Anyway, keen to hear how others are using it or how it's worked for them. 

• Like 1