BarryBevan

Is this a douche move

Yep. A douche move by the women to yell at the guy for doing it.

I've been in races where they pull a tape out for many of the early competitors to run through. He may not have known it wasn't for him. At 42km in a Marathon he would have been in no state to think about stopping to let her go through the finish before him. Maybe if the organisers were so worried about it they could have had someone a hundred metres back advising him, or someone to direct him to run under the banner where the others were running on the previous lap.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Thought same as you. The way it is written they get stick into him. The twitter verse got stuck into the woman

It’s a race isn’t it. 

Could have been his first or last or fastest marathon. Who knows. 

Either way it’s a race if she wanted the tape  she should have got there earlier. 

He could have still crossed the line behind the guy holding it.  There was room.

Mind you, I've seen races where they hold the finish tape for everyone that crosses the line.  

To be totally honest, the people holding it should have stood together and jumped out at the last second.

And finally, Was watching a Marathon this morning and there wasn't tape at all for the guy that won it.

16 minutes ago, Peter said:

finally, Was watching a Marathon this morning and there wasn't tape at all for the guy that won it.

So what you're saying is that guy didn't really win because there was no tape?

Man who cares, this whole internet social media let's get outraged over nothing outrages me...

There is an episode of black mirror that is becoming more and more of a reality everyday. If you read shitty news online it's too true, one more popular woman shat all over some kid and he's losing his status quite quickly because of it.

I'm getting old and turning into my old man. He said similar things about my generation! 

49 minutes ago, willie said:

Man who cares, this whole internet social media let's get outraged over nothing outrages me...

There is an episode of black mirror that is becoming more and more of a reality everyday. If you read shitty news online it's too true, one more popular woman shat all over some kid and he's losing his status quite quickly because of it.

I'm getting old and turning into my old man. He said similar things about my generation! 

A post in a hiking page on FB this morning was a man outraged that there were more items on sale for women than men at outdoor store. Many people pointed out the fact that today is Mother's Day and it was part of that promotion. He felt pretty silly I think.

3 minutes ago, AA7 said:

A post in a hiking page on FB this morning was a man outraged that there were more items on sale for women than men at outdoor store. Many people pointed out the fact that today is Mother's Day and it was part of that promotion. He felt pretty silly I think.

Haha, my point exactly. People are getting dumber. 

Non story. She expressed her objection the guy made a mistake (he had just run a marathon so wouldn't have bene thinking straight). He apologised, she got to do the tape again. Everybody moved on.

People need to get out more. *

* Irony recognised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, willie said:

That’s my point. It doesn’t matter if there is a finish tape or not. 

Iits just a farking run on a weekend. 

Race director's / finish line director's job to get this sorted (shoots/ minions etc),

and they did the next best thing with the recreation (it's not just for her, it's pictures and video for their promotions and sponsor value etc)

Probably an honest mistake. People can do that occasionally. 

Blame the race officials if you want. 

This will be forgotten in a week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazmuzza said:

Probably an honest mistake. People can do that occasionally. 

Blame the race officials if you want. 

This will be forgotten in a week. 

Happened two weeks ago

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Iits just a farking run on a weekend. 

"its just a farking run on a weekend" or "its just a run on a farking weekend"  ?

I'm not a grammar nazi so I am unsure if you are correct or not.

47 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

"its just a farking run on a weekend" or "its just a run on a farking weekend"  ?

I'm not a grammar nazi so I am unsure if you are correct or not.

This is a triathlon forum not an English class, therefore I couldn’t give a rats tossbag if I’m write  or Wong 

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

This is a triathlon forum not an English class, therefore I couldn’t give a rats tossbag if I’m write  or Wong 

Fair call.

imagine if it happened at something important like Kurnell.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Fair call.

imagine if it happened at something important like Kurnell.

Nooooooooo

Think the guy has to know he is not winning that race, maybe just a check and go ok. Calling him an a----hole is low class.

Given how often on ST and here we end up saying how the AG men mess with pro women race, and something needs to be done about it.

Edited by BarryBevan

13 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Nooooooooo

Think the guy has to know he is not winning that race, maybe just a check and go ok. Calling him an a----hole is low class.

Given how often on ST and here we end up saying how the AG men mess with pro women race, and something needs to be done about it.

As I said, and others, they sometimes pull the ribbon across for more than just the winner. If they really wanted her to run through it, they should have directed him around it. They put it up directly in front of him, after he'd been running for 3 hours. Unless he came past her in the last 20m to do it, there is absolutely no blame on him.

• Like 1

Good grief there are some angry angry people on Twitter. Anger just looking for an outlet 😮

Full story below, seems the two people involved are far more at peace than those itching for a fight in Twitter ;)

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/Marathon-Classic/2019/04/30/glass-city-marathon-amy-manning-chrisian-floyd-blunder-a-lesson-in-sportsmanship/stories/20190429128

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yep. A douche move by the women to yell at the guy for doing it.

I've been in races where they pull a tape out for many of the early competitors to run through. He may not have known it wasn't for him. At 42km in a Marathon he would have been in no state to think about stopping to let her go through the finish before him...

So, OK for the man not to be thinking straight after 42km (I agree BTW) but not OK for the woman to not be thinking straight when he did that, after she ran 42km? 

They both werent thinking straight! As written  above and in the article, they both seem OK about it after the fact...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

So, OK for the man not to be thinking straight after 42km (I agree BTW) but not OK for the woman to not be thinking straight when he did that, after she ran 42km? 

They both werent thinking straight! As written  above and in the article, they both seem OK about it after the fact...

Yep, you're right. Apologies.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

sydney Harbour Bridge

Back when politicians had vision for the future!

1 hour ago, nealo said:

3 years is future enough right? 🤔

1 hour ago, nealo said:

look son, we are gunna open a bridge, we will make it 8 lanes. 

Are you on drugs, 8 lanes?  

Well look, its 1932 and we got a bit of traffic about......

52 minutes ago, The Customer said:

They should only have one banner for 'first' over the line!

In 2019 society moved from everyone gets a medal to everyone gets a banner.  lol

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, nealo said:

And proposals weren't bogged down for years because of ideology masquerading as environmentalsm

Was he supposed to be looking back whilst running to see who's behind him?

If either had done a "Deek", there would have been no issue (well the present one being discussed).

Maybe he identifies as female and thought that he was winning the race in a really close finish!!!

On 14/05/2019 at 11:36 AM, ewoksta said:

Maybe he identifies as female and thought that he was winning the race in a really close finish!!!

If so, referring to the athlete as “he” might be highly offensive 🤔