monkie

Bike training for a marathon

So Port is done (I'm still writing my race report, the motivation to do so is limited as it reminds me of the pain) and so the focus now switches to Sydney Marathon as my next A race.

Last time I raced it my cross training was limited to say the best and I'm keen this time around to keep my bike and swim fitness in a decent ish place because I believe it's less likely to end up with me injured and hopefully the cross training will improve my running.

What kind of cycling should I be putting into a marathon training plan? I don't really want to be doing 6 hour turbo rides of a weekend but some intervals, easier mid length stuff and some short recovery rides is what I'm thinking... Thoughts?

Not sure of your age, but in my 20's I did a 3:08 on nothing over 17km run training (about 40km a week total) with doing long rides for my aerobic base. It's not ideal, but I hated long runs, so learned to live with it. If you are doing long runs, I'd just do some hard rides with the occasional long one thrown in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Not sure of your age, but in my 20's I did a 3:08 on nothing over 17km run training (about 40km a week total) with doing long rides for my aerobic base. It's not ideal, but I hated long runs, so learned to live with it. If you are doing long runs, I'd just do some hard rides with the occasional long one thrown in.

I adore running 🙂

I went 2:57 last time out on three runs a week (speed, tempo, long with tempo block at the end) but I want to get down to 2:50 or ideally 2:45 this time which I think is going to need a bit more.

I like the idea of just sticking to intervals and maybe long rides for fun outdoors which would be novel!

P.S. I'm 33!

Edited by monkie

You're old monkey. When we catch up I'll give you some help.

• Haha 2

Run more and when you have done that, run some more. Then swim. Then if bored, go for a long easy bike ride. Weekly and monthly miles on the run is where it is at. Running and training for a marathon is going to kill your bike legs in any case, pack it up and send home early. 🙂 

40 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Run more and when you have done that, run some more. Then swim. Then if bored, go for a long easy bike ride. Weekly and monthly miles on the run is where it is at. Running and training for a marathon is going to kill your bike legs in any case, pack it up and send home early. 🙂 

Interesting... I don't really have bike legs but for LCW last year I did a full IM bike program alongside the run and the run was pretty good (1 min over PB following on from the bike the day before)... so I think there should be at least some advantage in doing some biking... But maybe not! 

On 11/05/2019 at 2:50 PM, monkie said:

I adore running 🙂

I went 2:57 last time out on three runs a week (speed, tempo, long with tempo block at the end) but I want to get down to 2:50 or ideally 2:45 this time which I think is going to need a bit more.

I like the idea of just sticking to intervals and maybe long rides for fun outdoors which would be novel!

P.S. I'm 33!

What are your 10km (accurate) and half marathon PBs?

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

What are your 10km (accurate) and half marathon PBs?

Haven't done a standalone 10k but last Olympic 10k (after a shorted 750m swim) was 37:30. Garmin measured it at 10.1.

HM is 1:22 but that was not a target race, trained through it (whatever that means).

I'm doing GC but also keeping some bike and swim fitness. Most of my cycling is easy commuting and trying to stay aerobic when group cycling, invariably there is some tempo. Alan Couzens did some analysis and it suggests that on average 1.7h of cycling equates to 1h running, obviously there would be a lot of caveats with this. I'm still riding maybe an hour or two more per week than running but I will pare back riding as I approach GC. I know others who suggest no riding so its very individualistic as to what works.