Sign in to follow this  
dazmuzza

Another ex pro cyclist giving triathlon a shot

Unsure if its a serious change or just giving it a one off shot, but Pete Kennaugh (ex Bora/Sky) looks to be doing a triathlon v. soon (possibly tomorrow). I note in his insta stories, he posted some of his lap times in the swim and he's hitting 1:30s/100 metres in the pool 😐

I guess the standard of cycling in triathlon is at such a point that unless a pro cyclist can swim and run he has little chance of success? Wurf was a decent swimmer in his time and ran. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zed said:

I guess the standard of cycling in triathlon is at such a point that unless a pro cyclist can swim and run he has little chance of success? Wurf was a decent swimmer in his time and ran. 

Unless he's racing age group, then there is a big difference.

He did a 1:03 in a sprint tri. Pretty quick for an absolute beginner I'd say. 😕

Edited by dazmuzza

Fastest bike & 2nd place overall, but not much depth in the field. Times drop away quickly.

image.thumb.png.404f5f857211668a2e72f460f573cd3c.png

I was thinking about this. Cam Wurf has come in and smashed all the bike records in ironman. He's good no doubt, but he wasn't anything spectacular when he was a pro cyclist.

I'm just wondering if someone like Rohan Dennis jumped into Ironman - would he be in a good position to smash the bike course records that Wurf has just done...

5 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

I was thinking about this. Cam Wurf has come in and smashed all the bike records in ironman. He's good no doubt, but he wasn't anything spectacular when he was a pro cyclist.

I'm just wondering if someone like Rohan Dennis jumped into Ironman - would he be in a good position to smash the bike course records that Wurf has just done...

Possibly, But you'd have to think about how he'd get out of the water, and what that took out of him. It would take a while to be able to be handy enough in the swim to put down an outstanding bike ride. You then have to complete the marathon for the record to stand.

Richie Porte might be a better chance.

35 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Even without the swim, I don't reckon he'd be that far ahead. And the swim would probably negate any advantage he has. LA was only 2 mins quicker than Chris Lieto on the bike for Hawaii 70.3 and 3rd fastest on the bike for Panama 70.3.

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Possibly, But you'd have to think about how he'd get out of the water, and what that took out of him. It would take a while to be able to be handy enough in the swim to put down an outstanding bike ride. You then have to complete the marathon for the record to stand.

Richie Porte might be a better chance.

Richie Porte used to compete in triathlon before becoming a cyclist. he still does a bit of swim training I think. He would have more of a chance for sure. Not sure how he runs though.

10 minutes ago, Trier said:

Richie Porte used to compete in triathlon before becoming a cyclist. he still does a bit of swim training I think. He would have more of a chance for sure. Not sure how he runs though.

That's why I suggested him. He would pick the swim back up in no time.

On 23/05/2019 at 5:24 PM, Trier said:

I think it's time for Richie to come back to Triathlons.

He's never winning a grand tour now.

Lance seems to think he could win Kona.

10 hours ago, Peter said:

Lance seems to think he could win Kona.

He'd go ok in his age group. There's not enough supplements in this world for him to win it all. 

43 minutes ago, willie said:

He'd go ok in his age group. There's not enough supplements in this world for him to win it all. 

I took it as meaning Lance thought Richie could win Kona.

1 hour ago, willie said:

Are you suggesting triathlon is a clean sport.....hmmmm.

47 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

thats exactly what lance meant. If he can still run then he can certainly out bike them and goes ok in the water.

14 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But it's Lance, it's about Lance :P:lol:

I too, was referring to Porte. He couldn't win Kona, not when the current crop are doing what they do. 

Porte used to run like the wind as a junior. He’s built like a Kenyan marathoner and he’d be good for an 18 minute 1500M or better in the pool. He’d good ok in Kona.

Wurf reckons that both Geriant and Froome want to win Kona and that they are using him as a test guinea pig for them. Both of them have done swim and run training with him, including Froome knocking out 20km with Cam through Noosa National Park after a 200km bike ride a couple of Aussie summers ago. 

Oh, and another thing: Cam may have had an ‘ordinary’ palmares as a pro cyclist but he never really got the opportunities his talent deserved. He was an Olympian and world champion rower and was probably the favourite to win the lightweight double sculls in Beijing until a reoccurrence of a wrist injury curtailed his rowing career. His VO2 must be gianormous. 

If you listen to lance he is 100% taking the piss in saying that Porte needs to quit cycling as he has nothing to offer. 

I agree. 

38 minutes ago, Peter said:

If you listen to lance he is 100% taking the piss in saying that Porte needs to quit cycling as he has nothing to offer. 

I agree. 

He’s never been able to put all the pieces together in a really big race has he. Still tricathlon is a nufthink sport compared to pro cycling. Especially for an acknowledged team leader.

On a related note, Porte has been a bit unlucky in this year’s TDF but he’s healthy for once and had just come off a pretty awesome last training camp between his last race and the start of the Tour. With one ITT and 6 high mountain stages in the last week and a bit, the race is wide open and Porte has a shot at a top 5 finish still I think. Next year is an Olympic year. Maybe 2021 will be the year that Porte, Thomas and Froome all take up Ironman ...

1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

Next year is an Olympic year. Maybe 2021 will be the year that Porte, Thomas and Froome all take up Ironman ...

I was thinking these guys wouldn't be interested in that, but next year is quite a hilly course, both for the RR & the ITT. The RR even has a 7km (10%) climb in the latter stages.

On 23/05/2019 at 12:51 PM, zed said:

Even without the swim, I don't reckon he'd be that far ahead. And the swim would probably negate any advantage he has. LA was only 2 mins quicker than Chris Lieto on the bike for Hawaii 70.3 and 3rd fastest on the bike for Panama 70.3.

Pretty sure Rohan Dennis was an elite junior swimmer before he turned to cycling through a talent id type thing.

43 minutes ago, MattS said:

Pretty sure Rohan Dennis was an elite junior swimmer before he turned to cycling through a talent id type thing.

This was from a Cycling News "10 questions" interview with Rohan in 2013.

CN: What got you started in bike racing?
RD: I used to be a swimmer and there is this program in Australia called the TIP [Talent Identification Program]. They come around to your school and do a heap of tests. They check your physiology to see what sport you would best suit you and they told me I could possibly be a good cyclist.

I thought I'd do it for a bit of fun and to add a bit of leg strength for swimming. Three months later I gave up swimming for cycling.

• Like 1