Sign in to follow this  
Gilliga

70.3 Taupo Qualification Announcement Pending

4 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

Announcement tomorrow about a special entry pathway... what will it be?

Untitled.png

Who'll be surprised if it means paying WTC more money for the privilege? 

• Like 2

do 3 70.3 and get auto entry

or 815 is the price in USD

• Like 1

as per most things ironman it'll be a let down... 

it won't even be a triathlon unless they work out a way to heat the water.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Who'll be surprised if it means paying WTC more money for the privilege? 

yeah I am sure there is an express $5000 entry for the event.

27 minutes ago, willie said:

as per most things ironman it'll be a let down... 

it won't even be a triathlon unless they work out a way to heat the water.

Most likely.  

Yeah, it might be that season pass thing they had for Sunny Coast, buy 3 70.3 entries in one hit and get put into the draw.

But note it probably will not include the Busso 70.3 in May, (I think the licenced races were excluded) which incidentally is not on the 2019 finisher towel.

They're desperate for numbers. Even I got the email.

33 minutes ago, Greyman said:

They're desperate for numbers. Even I got the email.

What numbers could they be desperate for? Port Mac sold out, and I would have thought Taupo would be exceptionally popular to try to qualify for?

Buy a top of the line Ventum and get an automatic slot. You will still need to pay for the slot and active fee.

20 minutes ago, The new guy said:

What numbers could they be desperate for? Port Mac sold out, and I would have thought Taupo would be exceptionally popular to try to qualify for?

The old farts category

• Like 1

Considering they have 2500 men (sat) 2500 women (Sunday) they will be hoping to get a lot of qualifications from AUS to fill the two days. I think women qualification will be getting a log of "women in tri" spots next season, the 70.3 seems a big focus from WTC in regards to female participation as this is their opportunity for growth with Mens participation fairly consistent and less room for growth.

815 - maybe 815 entries but "fast-track" ? No idea. The big up of being in early will be locking in accommodation, it will be tough and bloody expensive, hopefully the KIWI $$ arse drops out.

Edited by Gilliga

16 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

$815us to race the half

Bargin! Surely the cheapest entry for tri world championship at any distance.

Doubled available qualification slots at all Oceania 70.3 slots to 80. World champs held over 2 days, 28 and 29th November 2020

I'd love to do it, but I would seriously struggle if it was cold.

2 hours ago, Gilliga said:

Considering they have 4000 men (sat) 4000 women (Sunday) they will be hoping to get a lot of qualifications from AUS to fill the two days. I think women qualification will be getting a log of "women in tri" spots next season, the 70.3 seems a big focus from WTC in regards to female participation as this is their opportunity for growth with Mens participation fairly consistent and less room for growth.

815 - maybe 815 entries but "fast-track" ? No idea. The big up of being in early will be locking in accommodation, it will be tough and bloody expensive, hopefully the KIWI $$ arse drops out.

What are the ‘women in tri’ spots?

All the double slots would be for races after Nice wouldn’t they? 

10 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Given the swim will be short or not at all I really feel it would be a major let down. 

24 minutes ago, emski said:

What are the ‘women in tri’ spots?

All the double slots would be for races after Nice wouldn’t they? 

So they have 25 extra women only slots at some races. Often with the allocation women dont get many slots so this helps boost female qualification. so Western Sydney will have 80 slots divided based on normal % system plus 25 extra female only slots on top. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

What date is it next year? Or not decided yet? 

Last weekend in November. 25 - 28 November is listed on their announcement. Think the course might get a bit crowded.

Upside, 2020 or 2021 would be ideal to do IMNZ races. Don't think accom will be in demand and the race will be light on for numbers compared to other years. 

55 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

So they have 25 extra women only slots at some races. Often with the allocation women dont get many slots so this helps boost female qualification. so Western Sydney will have 80 slots divided based on normal % system plus 25 extra female only slots on top. 

Wow had no idea they did that. Thanks for that. 

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

Would probably be perfect for me as I struggle in the heat.  Problem is that I've never done a 70.3...

• Like 1

Just now, BogFrog said:

Would probably be perfect for me as I struggle in the heat.  Problem is that I've never done a 70.3...

Oh well, plenty of time to train up. I'm sure you'd adapt well to the longer distance.

21 minutes ago, AA7 said:

OK, I'm out.

Start training in it over Winter here Alison. It gets below zero out Samford way some mornings. Ride in your Summer gear to acclimatize.

28 minutes ago, A2K said:

If? Check this out. Air temp could be as low as 10 or 11 early in the morning.

https://weatherspark.com/d/144933/11/28/Average-Weather-on-November-28-in-Taupo-New-Zealand#Sections-Temperature

Could be colder according to what you linked. 10*C is on the lower end of the range for a "typical" day.

Though they say temps below 5.5 are rare.

Does that make you reconsider, AA7? :no:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Start training in it over Winter here Alison. It gets below zero out Samford way some mornings. Ride in your Summer gear to acclimatize.

You can always put on extra clothes for the bike.

I think the real consideration is the combination of low water temps coupled with the likelihood of a wet, windy day.

A cool day alone is simple to manage.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

I think the real consideration is the combination of low water temps coupled with the likelihood of a wet, windy day.

There's a dam on the doorstep just waiting for Alison. It gets down to about 16 or 17 over Winter. Perfect training environment.

I'd never swum in cold water before last year, swam in that every day for a month, then went and did a mile in 9 degree water in just a pair of speedos and a cap. It's a wonder what the body can get used to.

54 minutes ago, AA7 said:

OK, I'm out.

10 wouldn’t be as bad as it sounds. It would heat up quickly.  Busso was 4 C a few years and that was shit. A few peeps including a pro were hospitalised because of hypothermia.

Water temp could be interesting. I’ve surfed in cold, cold water, OW races in budgies in 14 C water, 5kms etc and it’s not pleasant. Busso last weekend was 15 C and I struggled with my breathing with the temp... so could be interesting if it’s chilly. How cold before it becomes a safety concern -  hundreds of average swimmers not used to cold temps... if air temps are low that’s one thing, but low water temp + low air temp is gonna be a problem.

Okay, i'm close to a 5hr 40min half 50-55 year age group, am i likely to get a roll down at any Australian race?

or is a trip to Europe my best bet of qualifying?

Look at how many slots are allocated now in your age group and double it. (The ratio of slots available should be about the same, although this might change if certain age groups like M35-39, M40-44 and M45-49 have huge numbers.) That should give you the last place that gets a spot, at least for the first race or two. After that it is down to who is in already and how far it rolls. 

Edit: Your other option is Zell-am-see Austria which is only a week after Nice. Field might be depleted.

Edited by MissJess

51 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Hmmm, maybe, maybe not.

46 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

You can always put on extra clothes for the bike.

A cool day alone is simple to manage.

Yes, this is my concern. If it was 10 degrees or so, doing a duathlon, too easy. But getting into 16-17 deg water then getting onto the bike wet if the air was about 10deg, I'd be shaking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

Okay, i'm close to a 5hr 40min half 50-55 year age group, am i likely to get a roll down at any Australian race?

late in the season e.g Busso then yes

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

Hmmm, maybe, maybe not.

Yes, this is my concern. If it was 10 degrees or so, doing a duathlon, too easy. But getting into 16-17 deg water then getting onto the bike wet if the air was about 10deg, I'd be shaking.

Try 15C water temp and a day that doesn't get above 13,  or maybe not. :lol:

2 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

I think everyone who really wants to go will get a spot. 

Thats 700 spots give or take. Then as it gets closer there will be another deal. 

3 hours ago, zed said:

10 wouldn’t be as bad as it sounds. It would heat up quickly.  Busso was 4 C a few years and that was shit. A few peeps including a pro were hospitalised because of hypothermia.

Water temp could be interesting. I’ve surfed in cold, cold water, OW races in budgies in 14 C water, 5kms etc and it’s not pleasant. Busso last weekend was 15 C and I struggled with my breathing with the temp... so could be interesting if it’s chilly. How cold before it becomes a safety concern -  hundreds of average swimmers not used to cold temps... if air temps are low that’s one thing, but low water temp + low air temp is gonna be a problem.

From the ITU. low water temp + low air temp is actually factored in.

temp.jpg

It'll be wetsuit anyway, so you'll get through the swim OK. It's just the first few minutes on the bike before you warm up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

Richard, sounds like you should be training with us over the winter. Lots of hard rides around Bobbo/West Head will get you down to 5:10. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

Richard, sounds like you should be training with us over the winter. Lots of hard rides around Bobbo/West Head will get you down to 5:10. 

Thanks for the offer.