Sign in to follow this  
Bored@work

Port Mac - Kona spots

Any trannies get a spot. It’s been a bit quite on here. 

I know Travis wife got a spot but turned it down. 

Anyone else? 

7 hours ago, Tyno said:

Nuked. 

🙋🏼‍♂️ confirmed 

@clintred for the AG win and going back to scratch the itch 

Edited by nuked
  • Like 3

congratulations guys.  They say qualifying is harder than doing Kona itself.  Other than the winter training.

AP did you get anyone over the line?

2 hours ago, Peter said:

congratulations guys.  They say qualifying is harder than doing Kona itself.  Other than the winter training.

AP did you get anyone over the line?

There's one I know of, not sure of others.

Nuked / Clintred

Is this your first trip to Kona? I think you guys have both been before?

Be good if you guys could post a blurb about your race, training and approach to the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Nuked / Clintred

Be good if you guys could post a blurb about your race, training and approach to the day.

I raced last year, it will be @nukedfirst time this year. 

Ill post my long winded race report from last years Kona race later today, how the Port went for myself and what our basic weekly structure has been since New Year’s Day.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, clintred said:

I raced last year, it will be @nukedfirst time this year. 

Ill post my long winded race report from last years Kona race later today, how the Port went for myself and what our basic weekly structure has been since New Year’s Day.

Awesome. Thanks alot.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That was a great rendition Clintred. I hope this year is just as good to you.

Agree. 9:15 for self coached Rookie..................

I liked this bit:

just before you go and treat your body like a rental car

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Agree. 9:15 for self coached Rookie..................

I liked this bit:

Getting interested?

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Nope. Retired.

Disclaimer: Ironman St George

14 minutes ago, willie said:

And any Ironman in the USA. 

15 minutes ago, willie said:

Just now, Peter said:

And any Ironman in the USA. 

Or Mexico 

You have all seen my Strava. Not one swim this year & only a couple of runs with my daughter or the boss at work.

An exciting motivating read.

Thanks Clintred

Mods, Can we get that post moved/copied into race reports ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, iFoz said:

An exciting motivating read.

Thanks Clintred

Mods, Can we get that post moved/copied into race reports ?

I just copied it into the race report section, I’ll get around to writing something about the race on the weekend at some point and post it also 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Nuked / Clintred

As Clintred said, my first for the big dance but done the Honu 70.3 three times before (did I say I love that place!!!!)

Will get around to popping up a recount of the day soon ......

Self-coached rookie ..... :rolleyes1:

• Like 5

On 09/05/2019 at 11:55 AM, Bored@work said:

Nuked / Clintred

How I approached the race- first time I have been confident in ripping into the port course and seeing what happens, first time I knew I could be at the pointy end of the overall age group race. 

Raceday  

Swim- my form seemed good leading into the day but you never know how you’ll go Raceday, 2018 I had the 18th overall quickest swim so it was the first time I convinced myself to be as early in the water as possible, got in about 4th, figured there would be a few outliers who would be off the front but as the swim went along I had the kayak just in front the whole time, figured there was several kayaks on course and he was leading our group, got to the weir, stood up to find me and another guy were leading the age groupers. 

Continued much the same throughout, nothing crazy with limited fighting, out of the water 3rd age grouper in 49mins 

T1- yelled out to RunBrettRun and him and a couple of others gave me a hand getting sorted, out through transition with limited stress. 

Bike- wind was pretty solid, figured I’d ride 5 hours with limited stress but the wind sure slowed progress, keeping a lid on pace out of town I had no company, on Cathie straight there was one guy ahead and no one in sight behind, Power was somewhere in the area of 245w for the first 50km and was well under goal pace, the return trip to town was a case of trying to hold high power but I certainly wasn’t up near the outward numbers, I think the end of the first lap I was through in about 2:34, slightly off pace but certainly nothing to stress about as there still wasn’t too many age group guys around and the ones who had gone past were riding on their egos not their ability. 

At about 120km I was caught slowly by two guys. 1 riding well the other “enjoying the ride” and as they came through I had dug myself out of a slight hole so spent the rest of the ride sitting off the back of these two but using them to keep the pace solid. 

Ride- 5:08, slightly slower than expected but power numbers were where I expected 

T2- in and out without issue 

Run- My plan was to run at 4:20pace for as long as my pins allowed then limit the damage time wise once I slowed (if I slowed) 4:14, 4:30(hill), 4:09, 4:22, 4:16, 4:17 had it on track! Things went along smoothly until about 24-26km, pace slowed and I started to wade through it a bit,  when it starts to hurt that early it’s either one of two things 1-you’ve race with too much ego and not enough brain or 2- you’ve eaten too much/not enough, in this case I decided it was the latter so got through some more coke, a gel and went back to work. After a Few km I got things back on track, through the last 8 or so km I was back at 4:30-4:40 pace albeit with a fair amount more effort, running scared as I had been between 3mins and 1min up on 2nd place in my age through the whole run. 

First time I have raced a marathon off the bike and it wasn’t too much fun! Trying to stay on top of things mentally but also not bleeding time as to let 2nd place feel like he’s killing it, end marathon was 3:14, slightly off what I had in mind but happy with the result.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1