Jump to content
Peter

Ironman Geelong 4 year rotation

Recommended Posts

Seeing that Ironman have started to adopt new idea's it would be pretty cool for them to run an Ironman in Geelong every 4 years. Taking place on the same year as the Olympics.  

Then the other 3 years just run the 70.3

It would be a good build for newbies doing the 70.3 a few times and then the Ironman.

And for the repeat Ironman people that do them all over the place, they know that the opportunity to do the Geelong one, only comes along every 4 years.

From the outside looking in, Ironman's can get a bit stale if they are run over and over in the same place. Sure some people like eating pizza every Friday night week after week after week, but others just want it from time to time.  The same for Ironman.

I think it would be extremely successful going down this path.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds great to me. Even Ironman Melbourne could probably be pulled off and be successful once every 3-4 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've often wondered what holds them back from turning Western Sydney in to a full IM (either permanently or in alternate years)... It takes place in a reasonably contained area, and I think could be tweaked to lengthen it...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So - A similar idea that they are apparently planning for St George - full distance every 3 years, and the half every year.

Sounds tempting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gilliga said:

I like it! Can we have Forster on the rotation too, it would sell out easily!

I doubt it.  Ironman needs to find a course with a good road.  For example, how many yanks did Port Mac? they would be horrified by those roads.

Forsters are worse. 

Having said that, I'd come out of retirement to do Forster once more.

But I really think this could work well in Geelong.  I've never seen the Western Sydney course, but its a similar theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about a great ocean road ironman! That would be spectacular!

Swim in Torquay, bike from Torquay to Appolo Bay and run around Torquay. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Western Sydney is a 2 lap bike course at the moment, in order to lengthen it they either need to find new roads they can close (which is difficult) or go to a 4 lap format (not really doable). Also may need to look at a date change as the water and air temps can be high around November/December and with no breeze to compensate.

Forster locals/council don't want anyone closer into town than the keys. Club Champs moved from there in 2017, in 2016 my bike course team copped abuse from the locals. The Challenge/Ultimate/Elite Energy course changed in 2017 to lose the run over the Tuncurry. Club Champs is back, but the course is expected to be all in the keys, with a bike leg to Smiths Lake and a run to the Cape Hawke lighthouse, which is what Ultimate was in 2017.

Doubt Husky would let anyone do a full there, the Ultimate course was changed to a 3 lapper to appease the locals, rightly so I guess as if you went to the Vincentia shops you had to go the long way back around to your house.

Forbes was more than welcoming a few years back, but the non-coastal locations struggle for numbers, and now for water quality.

Edited by MissJess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Peter said:

Seeing that Ironman have started to adopt new idea's it would be pretty cool for them to run an Ironman in Geelong every 4 years. Taking place on the same year as the Olympics.  

Then the other 3 years just run the 70.3

It would be a good build for newbies doing the 70.3 a few times and then the Ironman.

And for the repeat Ironman people that do them all over the place, they know that the opportunity to do the Geelong one, only comes along every 4 years.

From the outside looking in, Ironman's can get a bit stale if they are run over and over in the same place. Sure some people like eating pizza every Friday night week after week after week, but others just want it from time to time.  The same for Ironman.

I think it would be extremely successful going down this path.

Great idea. I'd do number 10 ironman at Geelong any day. 

Doing any triathlon event in Torquay and along the great ocean red is practically impossible these days.

Forster would also be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AndyBoy25 said:

What about a great ocean road ironman! That would be spectacular!

Swim in Torquay, bike from Torquay to Appolo Bay and run around Torquay. 

I always felt IM should have gone there instead of Melbourne.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/05/2019 at 12:02 PM, Peter said:

I doubt it.  Ironman needs to find a course with a good road.  For example, how many yanks did Port Mac? they would be horrified by those roads.

Forsters are worse. 

Having said that, I'd come out of retirement to do Forster once more.

But I really think this could work well in Geelong.  I've never seen the Western Sydney course, but its a similar theory.

Yer good point, Also needs a major airport not too far away. Geelong makes a lot of sense or IM Canberra?? The old half course was so fast!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

Yer good point, Also needs a major airport not too far away. Geelong makes a lot of sense or IM Canberra?? The old half course was so fast!

Airport to Busso is 2.5hrs so it dosen't have to be that close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Airport to Busso is 2.5hrs so it dosen't have to be that close.

But it needs accommodation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canberra swim would always be at risk because of blue green algae 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Paul Every said:

I always felt IM should have gone there instead of Melbourne.

There's been a few long course races run around the Surfcoast over the years and there's always been a struggle getting permits from the council and the foreshore committee (who control permits to the beaches). I'd love to see a race at Torquay again, but there are several local groups and committees who are against it. The current council included. 

When Nick Munting ran the SCIT races, i witnessed his frustration with getting the permits for that race. I helped with a few calls and a bit of leg work for Nick in the early days but the Xtri guys did all the heavy lifting in getting the several permits required to run a 70.3 race, on one Sunday morning out of 52 weekends in a year. 

As I remember, the number of hurdles to get permits was nuts! Back then,  it was 1 permit for council managed roads which included not preventing access to boat ramp, bowls club, Gilbert (Main) Street, CFA, 3 Churches, the Primary school and Moriac corner shop!  2 permits from Vic Roads for Vic Rds managed roads (Surfcoast highway and Anglesea road) and the race traffic plan. A Permit from Parks Victoria for Elephant walk park where transition was located. A Permit from Geelong and Bellarine Foreshore committee to use beach and water space at two beaches (Fishermans beach and Torquay front beach). A Permit from VICPOL for traffic management. Last but not least, because it nearly brought us undone the first year as knew about it, a second permit from the foreshore committee to cover the use of the coastal trail north east and south west of Torquay for the run course. 

It's ten years since the last of those races and I can remember that amount of detail, that how Farken nuts it was to get permits. 

Ive checked where the great vic bike ride is going and they only need three permits. Vic roads for the GO rd, Surfcoast shire for the side roads at Torquay, country roads out to Dean's Marsh and VICPOL for traffic. The ride isn't coming into Torquay itself like a triathon event would. 

You would have a better chance running an ironman at Anglesea like Adventurethon and Rapid Ascent adv races do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the detailed reply, GM.

When Strongman was run out of Torquay in the '90s it certainly demonstrated the suitability of the town for IM. Unfortunately the race didn't build the required following without the IM label.

When I said IM should have "gone there instead of Melbourne", I was referring to GOR/Otways area generally, rather than Torquay specifically.

Sadly, yes, I'm all too familiar with the difficulties and frustrations of layers of bureaucracy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Thanks for the detailed reply, GM.

When Strongman was run out of Torquay in the '90s it certainly demonstrated the suitability of the town for IM. Unfortunately the race didn't build the required following without the IM label.

When I said IM should have "gone there instead of Melbourne", I was referring to GOR/Otways area generally, rather than Torquay specifically.

Sadly, yes, I'm all too familiar with the difficulties and frustrations of layers of bureaucracy.

 

The strongman race director got 1 permit from the council to run the race! Our club manned transition and half the aid stations. The race worked because Torquay and surrounds was sleepy hollow back then and very little traffic or local population. It ceased to be because of money reasons rather than not being ironman labelled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a less complicated world back then.

No doubts at all financial viability was an issue. It wasn't attracting the numbers with IM NZ and IM Aust both relatively close to Strongman. Any longer distance race without branding has always struggled for custom and associated entry income against IM in Australia, whether that be MMM, Sri Chinmoy, Tri 226 or more recently Emo's AAA, no matter the worth of the event and Strongman was no different.

It's not at all surprising that Ralph certainly operated the race on a shoestring. I remember the morning after race day when Luis Lopez and I were helping pack up the transition area, dismantling bike racks and metal fencing and loading it onto a truck. Not something your going to see competitors doing at a well resourced and financed IM branded event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...