Ex-Hasbeen

Giro D'Italia 2019 - Tipping Comp

Is there interest in a Grand Tours Tipping Competition this year?

The Giro starts this weekend, so if I get a few responses in the next day or 2 I'll set up a league in Velogames.

And in side news. Bernal & "that dirty cheating Spaniard" are both out, recovering from training accidents.

Yeah do it Ex... I might as well lose at something. Is velogames back? 

3 minutes ago, willie said:

Yeah do it Ex... I might as well lose at something. Is velogames back? 

Yeah, but the don't call it Giro. They call it Grand Tour Italy. I suppose that gets around the issues they had using the name Tour de France last year.

• Thanks 1

Yes please Ex, the wife & I enjoy a bit of in-house rivalry ( ie she loves beating me every year in the Tranny comp).

Seem to be more out of touch with Pro cycling than ever before, so better start with the research. 

OK. I've set up the League in Velogames. Here are the details:

League Owner: Ex-Hasbeen
League Name: Transitions
League Code: 227113311

They had some issues with their system in the off-season, so apparently everyone will have to create sign in from new again.

Welcome aboard.

edit: Entries close 16:30 CEST (Central European Summer Time) on Saturday 11th May 2019, which is 00:30 Sunday morning AEST.

And here is a good website to get a lot of info on stages, teams and ancillary info on the race. http://www.steephill.tv/giro-d-italia/

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Thanks 1

Tour of California starts this weekend too.

I love watching it.  Great time zone for it too.  Watch and then head to work

14 minutes ago, Peter said:

Great time zone for it too.  Head to work then watch the last 30 minutes.

Fixed it for those who don't work Bank Manager hours.

Only 2 folk in the league so far. It closes Saturday night, so don't leave it too late.

In... on past form of these kind of things I will be shockingly bad!!! 🙂

I just watched a preview of stage 1 this morning. It's an interesting prologue style stage. An 8km ITT, with the first 6km perfectly flat, then the a U-turn into the last 2.1km which is a climb averaging 9.7%, and a short section of 16% to 25% (depending how you cut the corner).

It will be interesting to see the hybrid bikes they use for this stage.

Another item they mention, is that RCS have worked with Zwift, to add this stage to the Zwift library, and you'll soon be able to ride it at home. They are planning to bring out more of their stages to Zwift in the future.

http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube3/?title=Recon:+Stage+1+Time+Trial+Course+Preview+w/+Dan+Lloyd&dashboard=giro-d-italia&id=Y7tcAJmiT74&yr=2019

image.png.32b830ecf4bedc477f557a15c60610f8.png

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That velogames codes doesn't seem to work for me ....

Edit: got it to work!

Edited by dazmuzza

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I just watched a preview of stage 1 this morning. It's an interesting prologue style stage. An 8km ITT, with the first 6km perfectly flat, then the a U-turn into the last 2.1km which is a climb averaging 9.7%, and a short section of 16% to 25% (depending how you cut the corner).

It will be interesting to see the hybrid bikes they use for this stage.

Another item they mention, is that RCS have worked with Zwift, to add this stage to the Zwift library, and you'll soon be able to ride it at home. They are planning to bring out more of their stages to Zwift in the future.

http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube3/?title=Recon:+Stage+1+Time+Trial+Course+Preview+w/+Dan+Lloyd&dashboard=giro-d-italia&id=Y7tcAJmiT74&yr=2019

image.png.32b830ecf4bedc477f557a15c60610f8.png

Going to be available on Zwift.. not sure for how long, but starting this arvo apparently

As they say, you can only race those that turn up. :)

image.png.f183b83c4c8d70b541aeb5cf00798ade.png

And it looks like every one of us has selected Yates. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Haha 1

I'm glad it's more exciting than the tour of Cali. Whoever the American dude is commentating made me turn the sound off... 

An eventful day in the Giro. A crash in the peleton at 12km to go, then another at 7km to go taking out Tom Dumoulin, and then another with 4km to go taking down Yates. Roglic survived, and came home in the half dozen that were left at the front, with Yates 16 seconds behind, and Dumoulin 4 minutes down. Looks like Dumoulin is out of contention for GC now, and we'll have to wait to see how he pulls up tomorrow to find out if he'll continue on in the race. He looked a bit messy coming in, but x-rays confirmed no breaks.

• Sad 1

Just finished watching highlights. Messy is a nice way to describe the end of that. 

Spudacus is moving... Dead last after stage one, Ulissi/Lopez was my oddball combo. They're working well. I almost went with Nibali instead of Lopez and glad I didn't.

Note to self, never pick someone you know (related to a guy I coach running). Cerny is dead to me. I sent him a text telling him to win me a stage because I wanted to win Velogames. All I got back was 'i hope this translates into English, **** you' - :lol: Riding for CCC so a development rider I guess.

I've got 1st (Roglic), 2nd (Yates), 7th (Mollema) and =12th (Chaves), and I still can't hit the lead in our league, and am not even in the top 25% of the total competition. 

I can see the Stemsters going down over the weekend. :)

Sorry I'm late, what did I miss.

Oh

15 minutes ago, Stem said:

Sorry I'm late, what did I miss.

Oh

Ex say the word and I can ban him till he's not in the lead :P:lol:

• Haha 1

Fark me it’s wet now. Stage 5. 

Anyone could be winning after tonight. 

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

Fark me it’s wet now. Stage 5. 

Anyone could be winning after tonight. 

image.png.ec2ec2f5a92a4c60c8011457154c07b0.png

Looks like absolute shit. I hope they practiced their hill repeats in the rain.

You wouldn't want caliper brakes on carbon rims today. Especially if the guy in front is braking on discs.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

28 minutes ago, willie said:

Dumoulin started as well 

I have a feeling he's pulled the pin, but not sure.

edit: Yep. Confirmed.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

6 hours ago, willie said:

Ex say the word and I can ban him till he's not in the lead :P:lol:

😄 Don't worry, that won't be long.

My already slim chances have been scuppered with Dumoulin's departure... that and the distinct lack of a sprinter in my selections and all round mediocrity shown by the less well known riders I picked... doh... 😞

Those guys are insane sprinting in those conditions. They were riding through water a few inches deep while sprinting in the last few hundred metres. Fancy going shoulder to shoulder at 60km/h+ in that?

317-CORVOS_00030998-035.jpg

Last night's stage looked nasty. 

Interesting decision to neutralise the final lap though. You'd think that they'd neutralise the 2nd last lap so that riders could have a look at the conditions before racing to the finish, rather than racing to the bell lap blind and then cruising to the finish. I know that couldn't really work, but it seemed a bit silly to make them race to a point anyway.

Sprinters were nuts pushing those sort of numbers in water that deep.

They only cruised to the finish on the previous lap.

Then in the sprint nearly everyone sat up and about 8 guys sprinted.

The phones between car must have been running hot

5 hours ago, AJS said:

My already slim chances have been scuppered with Dumoulin's departure... that and the distinct lack of a sprinter in my selections and all round mediocrity shown by the less well known riders I picked... doh... 😞

Yeah, but you're still well ahead of me. 😁😁

And I had Dumoulin too, so won't be getting any higher up the ladder. 

My usual form is appearing perfectly... I now have 3 riders abandoned from my team... ha ha ha, I should never play these games!

• Haha 1

On 08/05/2019 at 12:12 PM, Peter said:

Tour of California starts this weekend too.

I love watching it.  Great time zone for it too.  Watch and then head to work

Porte looking to have a crack right now - if your not watching get on it :)

Edited by dazaau

On 16/05/2019 at 3:02 PM, Dave T said:

Yeah, but you're still well ahead of me. 😁😁

And I had Dumoulin too, so won't be getting any higher up the ladder. 

Don't worry Dave. Only Stem Willie & I didn't have Dumoulin. You guys can all fight it out for 4th. :)

• Haha 1

Close at the top as well. Only 100or so point in it. Just need Roglic to take out Nibali and then I'm home free :P

A great win by Caleb Ewan last night, taking his first victory in a major race for his new team. It was a good ride too, going past Ackerman in the final straight & holding off Viviani.

The top 3 are staying constant, with all of us having Caleb in our teams, which is a good thing. I won't be disadvantaged when he pulls the pin in a few days before the mountains to concentrate on preparation for the Tour.

Yates had a bit of an explosion in the latter stages of last night's ITT. He's now nearly 4 minutes down on Roglic, who won the stage & is now in 2nd place. Having both Roglic & Mollema in my team has bumped me up over Stem, and put in a 200 point buffer.

How's this for an ITT profile.

image.thumb.png.c020c0eb56fccbd704e12f6c5aa7203e.png

• Sad 1

jezzz it was wet last night.  Poor bastards.

18 minutes ago, Peter said:

jezzz it was wet last night.  Poor bastards.

It's been a very wet Giro so far. All we need is snow & ice once they get into the high passes to round off a miserable 3 weeks for all but 1 guy, who'll probably look back at it all & be glad he did 4am hill reps in the rain. :)

The footage of Victor Campenaerts trying to do a flying mount on his own was painful to watch. Almost as painful as watching how sketchy some of those corners were when the rain really came down. 

Caleb Ewen just took his second stage win in this year's race. He positioned himself perfectly in the final straight, and after taking off with 100m to go, no-one had the strength to come past him. He's developing into a great sprinter, and in the right team (which I think he's now with) he is a chance to take a major jersey. 

He's likely to pull the pin after tomorrows stage to concentrate on his TdF preparations, so wishing him the best of luck for one more win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Caleb Ewen just took his second stage win in this year's race. He positioned himself perfectly in the final straight, and after taking off with 100m to go, no-one had the strength to come past him. He's developing into a great sprinter, and in the right team (which I think he's now with) he is a chance to take a major jersey. 

He's likely to pull the pin after tomorrows stage to concentrate on his TdF preparations, so wishing him the best of luck for one more win.

He strikes me as the kind of sprinter that is never going to be outright fastest, and so has to be fast and smart.

Is it me, or has that been one of the most boring routes for the first half of a Giro for some time? Long and flat, long and flat, long and flat - I'm sure I remember the Giro having bonkers stages popped in throughout! Hopefully the last week will be much more dynamic - looks like it should be in theory!

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Is it me, or has that been one of the most boring routes for the first half of a Giro for some time? Long and flat, long and flat, long and flat - I'm sure I remember the Giro having bonkers stages popped in throughout! Hopefully the last week will be much more dynamic - looks like it should be in theory!

Agree. Throw in the short & flat 140km stage, and the only hills we've really seen so far have been in the ITT's. It's not a huge one, but hopefully Friday night will have some fireworks.

transparent-pixel.pngtransparent-pixel.pngimage.thumb.png.13914c0feaee9959d13e888688b0676c.png

On 23/05/2019 at 10:16 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Agree. Throw in the short & flat 140km stage, and the only hills we've really seen so far have been in the ITT's. It's not a huge one, but hopefully Friday night will have some fireworks.

transparent-pixel.pngtransparent-pixel.pngimage.thumb.png.13914c0feaee9959d13e888688b0676c.png

Indeed it did. Yates it's gone. Landa looked strong, but is still a way off the main contenders.