Bored@work

Counting Calories, MyFitnessPal - Tips *not eating enough?*

I'm looking for tips thoughts.

I have been using the MyFitnessPal app & counting calories for about 7 weeks now. Started around 83kg & have managed to drop 3kg in total.  

But the weight has stopped moving. In fact I have put a bit back on in the last few weeks. I was seeing 78/79kg on the scales but 80kg seems to be the norm now. The weight loss has stalled. 

I'm starting to wonder if I'm not eating enough........... 

At 181cm & 80kg the app is telling me I need  to eat 1500 calories per day. (activity level = Lightly active) 

Todays numbers

1500 calories required

1083 calories burned training 

2084 calories from food. 

The app is showing 499 calories remaining for the day. 

Do I need to eat more or just wait another week or two and see what happens. 

Is my calories deficiency too high?  or is my daily goal of 1500 too low. 

19 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

(activity level = Lightly active) 

I think lightly active is old lady walks round the park, not hundreds of kms per week on the bike.

<non-expert opinion>

Eating with consistent, restricted calories will eventually train the body to manage with the lower amount of calories. They work initially, but eventually metabolism will slow, weight loss will plateau and some level of malaise will likely follow. I believe there's some truth to the adage that you have to eat to lost weight.

Interestingly, intermittent fasting doesn't have the same effect even though the weekly calorie intake can be the same. IOW, if you do 1500 cals a day for a week (10,500 cals) your body will adapt and slow down.

If you did those same 10,500 cals but did two days @500 cals your body thinks it's getting 1900 cals a day (9,500 cals over the other 5 days) and continues as normal (doesn't try to slow down).

Maybe try bumping up your daily intake but have a couple of days that are well restricted. I guess it would take a couple of weeks for the body to adapt back again.

</non-expert opinion>

Edited by trinube

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

I have been using the MyFitnessPal app & counting calories for about 7 weeks now. Started around 83kg & have managed to drop 3kg in total.  

But the weight has stopped moving. In fact I have put a bit back on in the last few weeks. I was seeing 78/79kg on the scales but 80kg seems to be the norm now. The weight loss has stalled. 

At 181cm & 80kg the app is telling me I need  to eat 1500 calories per day. (activity level = Lightly active) 

Todays numbers

1500 calories required

2084 calories from food. 

The less you eat, the less you can eat. 

You need to listen to your body.  Your body wants you to be fat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Couple of thoughts:

- MFP isn’t very accurate unless you’ve actually measured the food yourself and created your own entries.  You’re better off capturing it in a spreadsheet and then replicating meals that you know the exact numbers for.

- The MFP theory of aggregating your total calories with your ‘earned’ calories is nice in theory but it doesn’t work in practice.  There is a method of using your estimated level of exercise as a weighting factor in what your total daily needs should be, but that’s about fixing the daily amount - not saying ‘OK but I did a 100km on bike today so I need to eat loads more’. 

- If you’re unsure what macros (ie. protein / carb / fat) are making up the calories then that could be a big part of the issue.  Particularly if you’re only doing cardio.

If you’re interested I’m happy to share what worked for me - but it has been all about gym work and macros.  I’m pretty sure my total swim/ride/run across the last 2 years is <10km.

From my usage in the past... the calories suggested is based on your goal loss/gain and how long you want to take to get there. 

I read the 'activity level' to be how active you are aside from recorded activities. 

Assuming your calorie burn is semi-accurate (this is the hard part), consuming closer to the target should (in theory) give your body enough calories to avoid it thinking it is being starved. 

I personally been fairly successful (when I try) without worrying about macros, but I agree with @Mank, paying attention to them would probably give better results. 

As @trinube also points out, some sort of extra shock/stimulus may also help. When I was losing weight mine was extra cardio, but I'd expect your body is plenty used to that already. Mine certainly wasn't. 

1 hour ago, Mank said:

If you’re interested I’m happy to share what worked for me - but it has been all about gym work and macros.  I’m pretty sure my total swim/ride/run across the last 2 years is <10km.

Where you been? Have you just come back for the Winter fish?

1 hour ago, Mank said:

I want to see an after photo.  I know know the fat Mank that was funny.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I want to see an after photo.  I know know the fat Mank that was funny.

Yeah not even one hint of funny in that post, sad. :cry:

• Like 1

He's good - so simple - eat less or do more 😉

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Todays numbers

1500 calories required

2084 calories from food. 

There's not a single BMR calculator I looked at which indicated you should be eating 1500 calories just to survive, let alone once activity levels are factored in. They all indicated more like 2100 plus a factor of at least 1.2 for activity, and that was only light activity.

For weight loss I've always approached it as eat calories for AMR and create the calorie deficit with exercise. 

49 minutes ago, AP said:

Sounds easy right.

I'm doing more & eating less but the weight has stopped moving. Hence why I have asked the question.

1500 seems very low. My wife got me on Lite n Easy and bought me the 1600 diet. We were both lucky to survive the week.

If you're trying to lose, 500 calorie deficit a day will lose about 0.5kg in a week. Increase your protein intake to 1 gram/kg. Lower the deficit by half and see if you start to lose again. Doing any weights still? Or just on the bike. 

Edited by Parkside

5 minutes ago, Parkside said:

1500 seems very low. My wife got me on Lite n Easy and bought me the 1600 diet. We were both lucky to survive the week.

If you're trying to lose, 500 a day will lose you over 1kg in a week, probably too much. Increase your protein intake to 1 gram/kg. Lower the deficit by half and see if you start to lose again. Doing any weights still? Or just on the bike. 

No weight work. Besides a weekly game of netball and the odd run with my daughter its been all bike. 6000km this year so far (humble brag)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AP said:

So why are 90% of the people you coach in this photo fat?

671371DA-0D89-4B56-A0BD-2928F300ADD2.png

17 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

No weight work. Besides a weekly game of netball and the odd run with my daughter its been all bike. 6000km this year so far (humble brag)

Had a mistake in my numbers above. 1kg a week requires 1000 calorie deficit a day and is too extreme to maintain long term. 500 a day or half a kg is pretty doable. If you've stalled your metabolism needs a change. Add some protein and do some resistance training. What's your body fat sitting at? If you've already lost 10% of your bodyweight you may need to sit and maintain the same weight +/- 2% for a month or two before reducing calories and trying another few kg.

27 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Had a mistake in my numbers above. 1kg a week requires 1000 calorie deficit a day and is too extreme to maintain long term. 500 a day or half a kg is pretty doable. If you've stalled your metabolism needs a change. Add some protein and do some resistance training. What's your body fat sitting at? If you've already lost 10% of your bodyweight you may need to sit and maintain the same weight +/- 2% for a month or two before reducing calories and trying another few kg.

Garmin scales tell me I’m at 18.3% body fat. So I still have a bit of weight to drop.

i think you are right my calorie deficiency is too much. I’m feeeling flat at work and unmotivated but I put that down to a boring ass project and needing a holiday. 

I have been eating well but not like a saint. I have a donut at the coffee shop after a long ride. But I think I can safely consume those calories after a 120km ride.  

You can see my pre Ironman (September) weight . 

My USA holiday binge & then when I started counting calories. I had a lot of success at the start but the weight has crept back up. I have increased my mileage on the bike & still been good with my food. Hence why I posted the original question. 

CD595F42-2E80-485B-A7D7-181257635E68.png

1 hour ago, Peter said:

So why are 90% of the people you coach in this photo fat?

If the pic makes AP look like ET, then I'm pretty sure the other folks there aren't being done any favours.

Not that I'd call them fat anyway.

I mean, 90% of them fit in their wetsuits, which I more than I can claim :D

• Like 1

Well they aren’t lean. 

How many qualified for Kona?

Eating elicits a hormonal response to food and different foods change that response. Also all of us can have a differing response to that food. 

Min other words, what works for some will not work for others. 

I can go on about it for pages and general guides but...... it depends on the individual. 

And so endeth the lesson. 

FM

Edited by Flanman

13 hours ago, Bored@work said:

You can see my pre Ironman (September) weight . 

My USA holiday binge & then when I started counting calories. I had a lot of success at the start but the weight has crept back up. I have increased my mileage on the bike & still been good with my food. Hence why I posted the original question. 

CD595F42-2E80-485B-A7D7-181257635E68.png

Reset your resting metabolism. Try and do 4-6 weeks maintenance, where your weight stays within 1-2% of where you are now and then try a calorie deficit again.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Reset your resting metabolism. Try and do 4-6 weeks maintenance, where your weight stays within 1-2% of where you are now and then try a calorie deficit again.

I'll give it a go. Thanks for the advice. I'm about the same weight I normally race Ironman at but I need to be lighter for racing bikes in the hills.

5 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I'll give it a go. Thanks for the advice. I'm about the same weight I normally race Ironman at but I need to be lighter for racing bikes in the hills.

Message me an email I’ll shoot you some reading 

3 minutes ago, Parkside said:

CC me too please :)

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

Any chance you could shoot it to this fatso also please...

22 hours ago, Peter said:

Well they aren’t lean. 

How many qualified for Kona?

Oooo... you are harsh. 😱

After dragging my non lean arse around the last lap with a limp, skip and hobble, for a second personal worst... I validated for Kona 2019 legacy.

👅 (blowing a raspberry emoji).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

as if you need it!!!

Old blokes are always keen to read anything new.