Cranky

Who uses Trainer Road & how do you record your rides?

I used to use my old phone, but it has finally died and won’t hold power long enough to complete a workout, even when it is plugged in and charging!

I can use my current phone, because if I play on my phone whilst working out, the TR program freezes partway through the workouts!

My laptop has Bluetooth, but it needs a BLED112 dongle to pick up my PM. (I have an ANT+ sick so it picks up my speed and cadence sensor.)

My kids' 4th Gen iPad will pick up my power meter, but won’t pick up my speed and cadence sensor without an ANT+ stick, and I don't have one of these to fit the iPad.

TR put me into a BLED112 dongle at https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Silicon-Labs-Bluegiga/BLED112-V1/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuG6%2FXKM6MUaQbL2ZzzUt%2F28rs99w46ies%3D which is $15.32 but it is $55.35 by the time you add shipping. 

The other option, according to TR, is (in US$)

Setting up via ANT with your iPad (Wahoo ANT+ key and Apple adapter): $69.99 + $29.99 = $99.98

Am I missing anything? Is there any other way? 

Bottom line is I want power and speed (& therefore distance).

• Confused 1

Why do you need to play on your phone while using TR? I use a combo of TR and Zwift. TR on the phone and then watch youtube or netflix on your telly or laptop.

Wow, who knew training was so complicated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Cranky said:

My kids' 4th Gen iPad will pick up my power meter, but won’t pick up my speed and cadence sensor without an ANT+ stick, and I don't have one of these to fit the iPad.

Does your PM not record cadence? Speed is irrelevant with TR...

I use iPad mini for my TacX and it does power, cadence and made up speed from that.

Edited by monkie

1 hour ago, more said:

Why do you need to play on your phone while using TR? 

I think thats Tranny time

3 hours ago, more said:

Why do you need to play on your phone while using TR? I use a combo of TR and Zwift. TR on the phone and then watch youtube or netflix on your telly or laptop.

1. I don't have a spare telly (but could on the laptop)

2. It's my time to catch up on school work, emails, friends messages, Facebook, etc. Can't do that on a laptop from the bike. 

3 hours ago, monkie said:

Does your PM not record cadence? Speed is irrelevant with TR...

I use iPad mini for my TacX and it does power, cadence and made up speed from that.

No, speed doesn't matter but the distance does a bit. Just so I can record how many kms I've done, for interest, and also for my gear logs. 

53 minutes ago, Cranky said:

No, speed doesn't matter but the distance does a bit. Just so I can record how many kms I've done, for interest, and also for my gear logs. 

Yeah I guess I like logging KMs too... but are you sure your trainer doesn't push this out? What model trainer are you on?

Ah, I think you use a dumb trainer. I have no useful advice then!

Edited by monkie

Cranky its Mothers Day soon, why not ask for a smart trainer. You deserve it 😊

* and no, Im not being cheeky before anyone says anthing 😉

I use my laptop sitting on a desk in front of me with ant+ dongle running trainerroad

I keep my phone on the bike so I can change music or use social media

God invented aero bars to rest your iPad on when on the trainer and the tv to watch replays of recent and old triathon and adventure races.

The stereo or Spotify is great to match music to the year for which the race you're watching is from. Workouts go by in a flash when you stay entertained! 

Gotta say, Stevie Van Zandt from the E Street Band, is on the money when he says that recent music lacks emotion and is just mediocre. 

12 hours ago, AA7 said:

Yeah. I used to just hop on my bike & ride. I'm not tech savvy enough to train these days. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yeah. I used to just hop on my bike & ride. I'm not tech savvy enough to train these days. :)

I did that for about 25yrs, even a cross of tape on the wall to focus. These days I use Zwift but there is no way I can anything else whilst hitting it hard and I have no idea how others can.  I've tried watching tv (as in trying to actually follow what's happening) and it just doesn't work for me.

Of course it helps that I'm not on FB, twitter, Insta, strava or any other kind of Barbie toes support group.:lol:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AA7 said:

It's not complicated when it works. I like it this way. With kids, their extra curricular activities, work and a husband to fit around training, I have limited time so everything needs to be time effective, that's all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cranky said:

It's not complicated when it works. I like it this way. With kids, their extra curricular activities, work and a husband to fit around training, I have limited time so everything needs to be time effective, that's all.

Most people training have all those things to deal with as well. That's the very reason I need to focus on training. 'Connecting' with people on SM just isn't even on the radar when I need to get something done.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Most people training have all those things to deal with as well. That's the very reason I need to focus on training. 'Connecting' with people on SM just isn't even on the radar when I need to get something done.

I can't see how Cranky does school work on her phone on the trainer.

Social Media ok, doesn't take a brain. But schoolwork?  Nah. 

17 hours ago, Cranky said:

1. I don't have a spare telly (but could on the laptop)

2. It's my time to catch up on school work, emails, friends messages, Facebook, etc. Can't do that on a laptop from the bike. 

Your supposed to do that stuff on the toilet 🤔

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, monkie said:

Yeah I guess I like logging KMs too... but are you sure your trainer doesn't push this out? What model trainer are you on?

Ah, I think you use a dumb trainer. I have no useful advice then!

No. It's a dumb one.

16 hours ago, Surfer said:

Cranky its Mothers Day soon, why not ask for a smart trainer. You deserve it 😊

* and no, Im not being cheeky before anyone says anthing 😉

I don't think so. I don't think my family can justify it like I can. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Limited said:

I use my laptop sitting on a desk in front of me with ant+ dongle running trainerroad

I keep my phone on the bike so I can change music or use social media

This is what I wanted to do. I'll have to buy the other bluetooth thingy for that to work.

8 hours ago, Greyman said:

God invented aero bars to rest your iPad on when on the trainer and the tv to watch replays of recent and old triathon and adventure races.

The stereo or Spotify is great to match music to the year for which the race you're watching is from. Workouts go by in a flash when you stay entertained! 

Gotta say, Stevie Van Zandt from the E Street Band, is on the money when he says that recent music lacks emotion and is just mediocre. 

My aero bars aren't big enough. My arms take up all the room.

4 hours ago, FatPom said:

I did that for about 25yrs, even a cross of tape on the wall to focus. These days I use Zwift but there is no way I can anything else whilst hitting it hard and I have no idea how others can.  I've tried watching tv (as in trying to actually follow what's happening) and it just doesn't work for me.

Of course it helps that I'm not on FB, twitter, Insta, strava or any other kind of Barbie toes support group.:lol:

I can't do anything during the efforts, just in the rest periods.

17 minutes ago, Turts said:

I can't see how Cranky does school work on her phone on the trainer.

Social Media ok, doesn't take a brain. But schoolwork?  Nah. 

Yep. Reply to emails. Proof read work. Write up behaviour reports.

31 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Makes the time go faster, keeps me entertained. I can't do it on the efforts though. That's just head down bum up.

Sorry about the separate replies. My phone e isn't letting me quote more than 1 atm.

What power meter are you using? does it only transmit in Bluetooth? 

Did TR explain why it wouldn't connect to your laptop via Bluetooth

On 07/05/2019 at 7:44 AM, Limited said:

What power meter are you using? does it only transmit in Bluetooth? 

Did TR explain why it wouldn't connect to your laptop via Bluetooth

Stages left only crank

"Hi, 

Thanks for reaching out to us! Sorry about the connection trouble here :( 

The reason that we require a BLED112 dongle, even in devices with native Bluetooth 4.0, is because every device manufacturer configures Bluetooth a little differently. The Bluegiga BLED112 allows us to standardize the Bluetooth protocol rather than having an ongoing, constant development effort to keep up with different Bluetooth configurations."

Can’t you use the ant+ dongle on your laptop to connect to the stages power meter. That’s what I do. 

If we merged this thread with the "all the bullshit gadgets" thread, it would be an absolute crack up of a read. (Sorry, just my dark sense of humour again). 

1 hour ago, Limited said:

Can’t you use the ant+ dongle on your laptop to connect to the stages power meter. That’s what I do. 

This..

@gplama might have some cheap..

I'm new to trainer road I'm just on second week of sweet spot base module. So I'm here to learn, my FTP has fallen from 292 to 206 and I've gained a couple Kg so a lot of work to do over winter. But it gives you a lot of data - power, IF, TSS I have no interest in 'speed' or 'distance' . I was given a wahoo kicker V1 all I've bought is Bluetooth cadence and HR, was the first time I'd been in a bike shop in over 2 years. I got a pair of bike shoes from Roxxi and I'm right back into cycling again 

• Like 2

On 09/05/2019 at 8:06 PM, Limited said:

Ant only picks up speed and cadence. No PM.

All good. I have Dad's old phone. Back in business. 

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Ant only picks up speed and cadence. No PM.

All good. I have Dad's old phone. Back in business. 

What PM are you using? I thought they were all but and ant... my ant dongle picks it all up im sure

7 minutes ago, pieman said:

What PM are you using? I thought they were all but and ant... my ant dongle picks it all up im sure

Stages, which is ant+ 

2 hours ago, willie said:

Stages, which is ant+ 

That's what I thought.. not sure why an ant dongle won't capture everything... mine did power hr cadence speed all to laptop

1 hour ago, MissJess said:

Has anyone got a trial code? I am thinking of switching from Zwift.

PM me email address and I will send one

• Thanks 1

On 12/05/2019 at 3:28 PM, pieman said:

Stages left crank

8 hours ago, MissJess said:

Has anyone got a trial code? I am thinking of switching from Zwift.

Yes. Email me at jo.crank@optusnet.com.au .... or anyone else that wants a free month trial. 😊

• Like 1