Flanman

Port - Race Day

10 hours ago, Hymie said:

The full saying is, although Grandpa’s axe has had the handle replaced 3 times, and the head twice, it’s still Grandpa’s axe. But is it really? Same thing with IMOZ, I am fairly sure the Forster course changed several times, then the race relocated to Port and the Port course has changed several times. So it’s still IMOZ in name, but is it in reality?

And visually

• Like 1

Geelong relocation? Cmon now, the Victorian had their turn at an Ironman and it didn't last long. I cant see Port letting it go easily.

3 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

Geelong relocation? Cmon now, the Victorian had their turn at an Ironman and it didn't last long. I cant see Port letting it go easily.

Just taking the piss. I would like to see one of the current Aust races move locations but I don't think it will happen for awhile.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MissJess said:

So was anyone at the 70.3 roll down?

I was but didn’t stay long. Not many people there 

Thats what I think I overheard at Casualties on Monday morning. I have a friend who wants a spot and is racing Cairns.

3 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Thats what I think I overheard at Casualties on Monday morning

You pull up OK? 

Or just getting the pre-beer mile IV? 

3 hours ago, monkie said:

@wombattri was.

Yes I was there. They went through all the females first - I think there was one female AG that got left open and reallocated. All the slots went to those that were there, but did roll down. 

As for males I didn’t stay after my AG was announced so not sure what happened after that. 

31 minutes ago, Slowlane said:

I was but didn’t stay long. Not many people there 

I think the 70.3 worlds slots are getting harder to get, a girl I know went, she was 7th in her AG and she said the first place took it and the slots in other age group rolled a little but not super deep. I was surprised to hear that as didnt think it was that popular still.

1 hour ago, Gilliga said:

Id rather the Geelong roads over the Port mac potholes.

11 minutes ago, MissJess said:

So no opening to the floor like 2017 and 2018? 

Nice is probably a bit more appetising as a family holiday or bucket list event than Chattanooga or South Africa.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MissJess said:

So no opening to the floor like 2017 and 2018? 

12 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Nice is probably a bit more appetising as a family holiday or bucket list event than Chattanooga or South Africa.

Agree.  Next year with it in Taupo will be high demand and then 2021 could be too with it only 2hrs from Vegas and the temptation of the pool parties in Vegas after the World Champs.

2022 will either be Asia/China or Europe so low demand making it an option for the slow bucket listers.

Edited by Peter

51 minutes ago, Peter said:

Agree.  Next year with it in Taupo will be high demand and then 2021 could be too with it only 2hrs from Vegas and the temptation of the pool parties in Vegas after the World Champs.

2022 will either be Asia/China or Europe so low demand making it an option for the slow bucket listers.

2022... Hmmmm how much time can I knock off in 3 years...🤔

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Correct - that’s why I took the slot as I may not get the same opportunity with Taupo next year, as it will be more competitive.

In Busso anyone that wanted a spot got one. Someone got a spot and there were 35th or whatever. I'd imagine come December most peeps in Perth will take the Taupo spot though.

And here's another one https://au.gofundme.com/BogFrogWantsAHolidayInEurope-PleasePayForIt 

Edited by BogFrog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, Slowlane said:

This was just on the news here, she won her age group yesterday in the 70.3.   https://au.gofundme.com/6zemgtc

So obviously she's working her way up to her dream of representing the green and gold I guess?  She appears to have started with the green, white and red of Mexico in the photo.

• Haha 1

Just saw that Dave Ross was a dnf. That’s the last of the 100 percenters.

FM

51 minutes ago, zed said:

In Busso anyone that wanted a spot got one. Someone got a spot and there were 35th or whatever. I'd imagine come December most peeps in Perth will take the Taupo spot though.

imagine?

If you don;t come top 10 in a male you arent going to Taupo.  The women get a heap more spots so maybe top 20 and you'd be fine.

You could always identify as a female and get a spot.

55 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

$10,000 total - is she getting a new bike or staying in 5 star hotels?

Yeah I'm wondering too, Lausanne is probably about $1500 in flights - if you go into Zurich and not Geneva and about $1000 in a hotel (but a bit of a trek) for 4 nights. Unless she wants to stay in the team hotel which you have to hand over your mortgage deposit.

Edited by MissJess

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

FM

If you are counting the year he did a 5k run split towards the end of the marathon faster than Berkel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Wronggenes said:

If you are counting the year he did a 5k run split towards the end of the marathon faster than Berkel.

What goes on tour.....

FM

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

FM

He DNF'd last year too.

Hi all, just got back to Sydney. It was great to catch up with so many people over the weekend. Even got to meet Miss Jess for the first time. Had a great time, but a tough race. As others had mentioned the swim was great. I think the way it now works means you get a great slipstream for most of the way if you seed yourself right. That bike course was tough. Tough roads, tough wind and tough hills. The 2nd lap was a bit slow, but I was happy with my effort and willing to push. I suffered on the run, but that was always going to happen after rupturing the Achilles 17 months ago. The last 2 laps were a matter of survival. I ended up with 11:16 and 8th in my age group (55-59). Mrs F was 6th in her age group (45-49) and missed a Hawaii roll down by 1. Oh well, that is Ironman.

Thanks for all the support out there. I was in a world of hurt on the run, so I may not have acknowledged it at the time, but I did appreciate the shouts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So proud how you came back from injury. Dan said she was just going to enjoy the day. I guess she did with that time. 

FM

PS: Did that new wetsuit of hers materialise?

Nice to meet you Mr (and Mrs) Flower! I did not realise you and I know the same people (your coach) small world!

19 minutes ago, Flanman said:

So proud how you came back from injury. Dan said she was just going to enjoy the day. I guess she did with that time. 

FM

PS: Did that new wetsuit of hers materialise?

Thanks Flanny. No new wetsuit, but we got some glue from John Hill that did the trick. Mrs F was very pleased with her swim so no complaints. She had a great day and is happy to be an Ironman again. As the saying goes, happy wife, happy life, so all good.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Flanman said:

FM

Dnf’d last year as well. Paul and Dave now equal on 32 a piece!

10 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I guess Cam has proved it's a bikers race now.

Only if they can run under three hours 😉

2 minutes ago, AP said:

Only if they can run under three hours 😉

Depends on what division you are racing.

1 hour ago, zed said:

Why are the roads so shit?

Because NSW don’t fix roads outside of Sydney or Newcastle.  

Country people keep voting nationals or independent and the liberals and labor don’t give a shit about them  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zed said:

Why are the roads so shit?

The cost to maintain roads is extremely high compared to how many people live in the location and therefore, pay for the fixes (including right across Australia). 

It is easier to patch holes than to re-lay a whole section.

FM

On 14/05/2019 at 9:27 AM, Flanman said:

The cost to maintain roads is extremely high compared to how many people live in the location and therefore, pay for the fixes (including right across Australia). 

It is easier to patch holes than to re-lay a whole section.

FM

Vehicle registration pays for roads remember... lots of vehicles registered in Port Mac should more than cover the road repair costs🤣🤣

Edited by trickle
PlayStation!?