Flanman

Port - Race Day

I must be of the old brigade, the number here that haven't heard of Pauli Kiuru. I can remember my race goal at Forster was to be off the bike and heading to Tuncurry before Pauli completed the Tuncurry section for the second time (crossed paths on the bridge one year). As time went by goal posts moved to being off the bike before the front runners finished and then to be finished before dark and now to just enter again and finish. I bought a Zipp 950 disc off Pauli and had him autograph it, was when he changed sponsors from Zipp to Corima I think.

• Like 6

I only joined he in about 2008, did my first trip around then.  I've heard of him.  Even knew he was a politician now.

8 hours ago, ratdog said:

Paul Every does it again  15:10:35

Super awesome

Yes Paul is one amazing man.

Also note Dave Ross DNF.. shame

• Like 1

Just now, Gizmo said:

Yes Paul is one amazing man.

Also note Dave Ross DNF.. shame

And Coffs Pete also made it just under the cut off. Whoa man

• Like 7

Mrs IP won her age group by over 4 hours

• Like 6

Well done everybody. How does the body feel today? All prepped for the Beer Mile? Personally, I think that's be easier than a long drive home today. Six hours in the car was murder for me after the last Forster I did.

1 hour ago, bert40 said:

I must be of the old brigade, the number here that haven't heard of Pauli Kiuru. I can remember my race goal at Forster was to be off the bike and heading to Tuncurry before Pauli completed the Tuncurry section for the second time (crossed paths on the bridge one year). As time went by goal posts moved to being off the bike before the front runners finished and then to be finished before dark and now to just enter again and finish. I bought a Zipp 950 disc off Pauli and had him autograph it, was when he changed sponsors from Zipp to Corima I think.

For all the young pups, here is Pauli leading some other bloke you probably don't know in Hawaii '91😉

Pauli K.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

And Coffs Pete also made it just under the cut off. Whoa man

I caught up with Coffs Pete at the ends of my last lap.  Top effort bloke!

How many is that for Pete? That guy is awesome. People like him are what make Ironman a great day. 

Caught up with him in coffs a feee years ago for coffee & he’s a celebrity in town, everyone knows him.

5 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

How many is that for Pete? That guy is awesome. People like him are what make Ironman a great day. 

Caught up with him in coffs a feee years ago for coffee & he’s a celebrity in town, everyone knows him.

17 I think. He is an utter legend. We were watching nervously all day yesterday. First thing I did when I opened my eyes this morning was to check he made it. 

He is such a generous man. We stayed with him a night in Coffs last year. He couldn't have done more for us. 

55 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Well done everybody. How does the body feel today? All prepped for the Beer Mile? Personally, I think that's be easier than a long drive home today. Six hours in the car was murder for me after the last Forster I did.

Overly giddy and annoying the wife. Body is fine #shouldhavetriedharder. I've already switched from "never racing long course again" to "maybe we could have another crack in a year or so". Alas no beer mile as we have to do the 5 hours home. Flying to Singapore tomorrow. Joy.

Well done everybody!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ratdog said:

Paul Every does it again  15:10:35

Super awesome

How many is that now Paul?  34 Australia races?

Rolling around town at the moment. In a sleepy haze. Been awake since 5am. Bought my 70.3 finisher hoodie, trying to get pumped for beer mile, might need a nap first 😂 race went well, bike PB of 20mins 😁

• Like 9

1 minute ago, MissJess said:

Rolling around town at the moment. In a sleepy haze. Been awake since 5am. Bought my 70.3 finisher hoodie, trying to get pumped for beer mile, might need a nap first 😂 race went well, bike PB of 20mins 😁

Nice work Miss J!  Gotta love a PB 👏

15 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Some impressive swim times. Any strava filed on the swim 

179.1 for the bike. Swim hasn’t uploaded but VERY fast for me...0:58 expecting 1:03.

I’m still claiming sub hour swim regardless.

• Like 1

Well done everyone!! Even those who didn't do as well as hoped or were not feeling so good - you're all amazing for what you did! Serious FOMO at these times. Always such a great motivator to get out the door and exercise. 

• Like 3

Awesome job out there everyone.

So... what's the date for next year? 3rd May? 

54 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

179.1 for the bike. Swim hasn’t uploaded but VERY fast for me...0:58 expecting 1:03.

I’m still claiming sub hour swim regardless.

Yep my sub 1hr swim in Chattanooga still stands lol

Would be interesting to see what blew out first, equipment of pfoofer valve if you did try the 55-11 up MFD.

6 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

For all the young pups, here is Pauli leading some other bloke you probably don't know in Hawaii '91😉

Pauli K.jpeg

So, yeah, ...... who's the other guy? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Turts said:

So, yeah, ...... who's the other guy? 

Pretty sure its McGuyver

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, wombattri said:

Happy with my day in the 70.3.

7th in M40-44 AG - and decided to take the world champs slot in Nice. There were 4 slots for my AG and it rolled down. 

So it turned out to be a very expensive weekend!

Well done to all that raced, and thanks to all that supported. 

Next stop - Cairns IM. 

How far did it roll down? in the M40-44 age group?

Apparently at Busso it rolled and rolled and no one wanted spots. Beginnergirl can provide more info, I think she and her hubby were there.

6 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

How far did it roll down? in the M40-44 age group?

I actually don’t know because I didn’t have time to stick around. 

24 minutes ago, Katz said:

Apparently at Busso it rolled and rolled and no one wanted spots. Beginnergirl can provide more info, I think she and her hubby were there.

Everyone saving their money for taupo. 

58 minutes ago, Peter said:

Everyone saving their money for taupo. 

I should send IM an email & see if I can get a spot. I already have airfares & a hotel booked.

I ran 7km at lunch & it wasn't that bad. My bike is up is fine. Haven't swam since Ironman Maryland but that will probably get cancelled any way.

On 05/05/2019 at 5:19 AM, monkie said:

Morning!

2077 - wombattri (Andrew Ritter)
2599 - Limited  
2840 - MissJess
2943 - IronJimbo 70.3
3199 - Flanman

31-009 - Paul Every
20-106 - IronmanFoz  (Andrew Foster)
13-178 - Mr Flower
15-266 - Dave T
13-332 - noknees (won't be an offical tranny finish)
337 - iFoz (In Cycos club kit, not dress up this year :) )
477 - Torn
497 - Monkie
593 - The New Guy
752 - Trickle
1011 - Tall Paul
1169 - scubasteve 
1227 - Blobby
1357 - Toolex

HERE. WE. GO!

So is IP top of the podium on the day with his 10.08? He's probably off doing the course again today as a cool down. 

2 hours ago, wombattri said:

Happy with my day in the 70.3.

7th in M40-44 AG - and decided to take the world champs slot in Nice. There were 4 slots for my AG and it rolled down. 

So it turned out to be a very expensive weekend!

Well done to all that raced, and thanks to all that supported. 

Next stop - Cairns IM. 

Nice mate and a solid time too. Good work!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, truck said:

So is IP top of the podium on the day with his 10.08? He's probably off doing the course again today as a cool down. 

I assume he's at kona roll downs. Be awesome for him & his wife to race Kona together.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xblane said:

Awesome job out there everyone.

So... what's the date for next year? 3rd May? 

From the IM website - yes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, roxii said:

Had his trusty Polar HRM though :lol: 

Mr Pauli checking his Polar

Australian Ironman 1994...

Yes at Forster..

Yes thats the infamous Tudour house in the background 

I took the photo 

FB_IMG_1557129721963.jpg

• Like 6

All the spots for France at Busso went and a few people who wanted them missed out.

A near punch up when people wernt following the rules.

I know as I was on the receiving end of abuse whilst helping run the roll down as these dudes had missed the turn up time.

Rosie did not take her spot for Kona. It rolled to 2nd. I was not keeping close count but it rolled down in a few age groups, both male and female. 

Not sure about Nice as I was not in there, but a friend was, Ill ask, but I do not think it was opened up to the floor like last year.

26 minutes ago, Triatx said:

All the spots for France at Busso went and a few people who wanted them missed out.

A near punch up when people wernt following the rules.

I know as I was on the receiving end of abuse whilst helping run the roll down as these dudes had missed the turn up time.

It's a real shame that people chose to behave that way.

Agree with others - swim was fast, but I measured 3850. Was expecting 1:15, did 1:07.

Bike was OK first lap - slower going south than planned, but more than made up for it northbound. Second lap not so much - pace dropped even more, and couldn't make up for it on the way home. Measured 179.3 but not complaining. Saw a guy crash on the FIRST CORNER - that would suck. Borrowed some 90mm wheels but regretted not being able to spend more time with them, because it did feel a bit dodgy when gusts hit between breaks in trees.

Happy with the run - stuck to a scheduled run/walk strategy which I think made it easier physically and mentally. Some really dark bits on the way out to Settlement Point - I think they had a few generator/lighting issues. 

Happy with my time overall. 12:19. My only other IM was 12:17 so happy to be consistent considering 5 years of ageing 🙂

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, toolex said:

Bike was OK first lap - slower going south than planned, but more than made up for it northbound. Second lap not so much - pace dropped even more, and couldn't make up for it on the way home. Measured 179.3 but not complaining. Saw a guy crash on the FIRST CORNER - that would suck. Borrowed some 90mm wheels but regretted not being able to spend more time with them, because it did feel a bit dodgy when gusts hit between breaks in trees.

Almost exactly this!

23 hours ago, Peter said:

Must have been a good current or down the rolling start help with flow?

some people I know went faster than expected in the swim and also the pros swam super fast too. 

Mrs Shuffla was swim course director. Was out at 9pm the night before triple checking and adjusting the swim course. Measured with Garmin on board a surf club IRB. Was very close to correct distance from strava reports I’ve seen. 

High tide was at 8:30am so it shouldn’t have been much help maybe a bit of help at the start with a bit of tidal inflow, and then mostly still conditions for the swim home. 

I think the rolling start creates its own current for middle pack swimmers. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MissJess said:

Rosie did not take her spot for Kona. It rolled to 2nd. I was not keeping close count but it rolled down in a few age groups, both male and female. 

Not sure about Nice as I was not in there, but a friend was, Ill ask, but I do not think it was opened up to the floor like last year.

So with only 3 finishers in the F60-64, 12:18/ 16:34 / 16:35 , I reckon 11-time finisher-Legend ( Jenny from Coffs Harbour) would never have known how important 1 minute can be.

Love it.

Pauli acknowledged today on Facebook his record was broken. He didn't seemed to worried , as he said records are made to be broken. it goes in the history books now. A very modest man. 😄

23 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I don't understand the Pa's Axe analogy? does that mean no matter how many different axes Pa has it will always just be called Pa's Axe?

The full saying is, although Grandpa’s axe has had the handle replaced 3 times, and the head twice, it’s still Grandpa’s axe. But is it really? Same thing with IMOZ, I am fairly sure the Forster course changed several times, then the race relocated to Port and the Port course has changed several times. So it’s still IMOZ in name, but is it in reality?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hymie said:

The full saying is, although Grandpa’s axe has had the handle replaced 3 times, and the head twice, it’s still Grandpa’s axe. But is it really? Same thing with IMOZ, I am fairly sure the Forster course changed several times, then the race relocated to Port and the Port course has changed several times. So it’s still IMOZ in name, but is it in reality?

Got it. thought that was the case.