Flanman

Port - Race Day

3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

What course are they claiming the record on? The course has changed a lot of times over the years. I think the first year was the hardest having to run out to the light house. 

Three possibilities:

1. Current Port Mac course configuration,  I think;

2. All time Port Mac record; and

3. (Just outside) all time Ironman Australia Event record (Pauli Kiru’s 1992 8:06:09?).

Agree with one & two. The third is a bit of a stretch. 

Its a totally different location with the same name. 

3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Agree with one & two. The third is a bit of a stretch. 

Its a totally different location with the same name. 

Was mentioned in dispatches by Welshie earlier in the day. Forster is always the true benchmark. Everybody knows that!

• Like 1

Well Ironman is claiming it as the Ironman Australia record.  

FD27AB7D-6CBE-4DD0-BF9C-44E3128CE011.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Three possibilities:

1. Current Port Mac course configuration,  I think;

2. All time Port Mac record; and

3. (Just outside) all time Ironman Australia Event record (Pauli Kiru’s 1992 8:06:09?).

8.06.39 was Pauli record in 1992 

so wurf has the new record 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

8.06.39 was Pauli record in 1992 

so wurf has the new record 

If course change and locations don’t really matter then didn’t Alexander go 7.57 back in 2012 in Melbourne?  Last time I looked that was also in Australia 😂. With Port Mac when they removed the run up the hill (2x?) it became a completely different course. Swim is also completely different to what it was - no idea if that made it quicker or slower. I guess ‘race record’ just sounds good. 

Great result though. 

14 minutes ago, truck said:

If course change and locations don’t really matter then didn’t Alexander go 7.57 back in 2012 in Melbourne?  Last time I looked that was also in Australia 😂. With Port Mac when they removed the run up the hill (2x?) it became a completely different course. Swim is also completely different to what it was - no idea if that made it quicker or slower. I guess ‘race record’ just sounds good. 

Great result though. 

Ironman Australia. Not Ironman in Australia ...

15 minutes ago, truck said:

Great result though. 

Exactly 

1 minute ago, Andrew #1 said:

Ironman Australia. Not Ironman in Australia ...

What does Ironman Australia even mean? The championships are in Cairns this year. 

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

What does Ironman Australia even mean? The championships are in Cairns this year. 

Although it’s a bit like Grandpa’s axe, it’s still the oldest and original Ironman in Australia.

3 minutes ago, Hymie said:

Although it’s a bit like Grandpa’s axe, it’s still the oldest and original Ironman in Australia.

That's the bit I struggle with. Busso is currently the oldest running IM in Australia. 

Foster was the original and first Ironman. But that event is no longer on. They created a new race in Port Mac. With it's own history, course etc. 

So if they stop running Ironman Port Mac & start a new race in Geelong will that then become Ironman Australia?

Is there somewhere to watch the finish line at Port live?  The link on Facebook Live was excellent but they have now switched over to IM Arizona, so I was wondering if there was another way of watching it.

6 minutes ago, Clyde said:

Is there somewhere to watch the finish line at Port live?  The link on Facebook Live was excellent but they have now switched over to IM Arizona, so I was wondering if there was another way of watching it.

Still there. Part 2

27 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Cairns is ironman asia pacifics championship 

port is ironman Australia 

busso is the ironduathlon championships apparently 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Just checked he’s got 2km & just clicked over the 10hrs. Still a great time

10:08 impressive 

• Like 2

Thanks Peter.

Switched browsers and found it again!

Edited by Clyde

8 hours ago, Notsofast said:

Luke Bell just walked up MFD. looks another DNF?

Yep, DNF. He didn’t look to be injured or cramping and bike didn’t appear to have a flat or anything obvious. I would be keen to hear what happened. Has he entered Cairns and pulled the pin to save himself for that race?

That was horrible.

Terrible day at the office.

Swim great. Bike bad. Run worse. 11:01:XX. Not a happy bunny.

• Like 1

course seems a bit short so not comfortable with the Australian Champs record claim. I'm seeing 176-178km on Strava from those who raced.

14 minutes ago, monkie said:

That was horrible.

Great job. Go celebrate the effort and analyse your effort and result tomorrow. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, monkie said:

That was horrible.

Don't beat yourself up mate. Plenty of us here would love such a 'horrible day'. :clapping:

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

Irrespective of all the talk on which course record.....Pauli Kiriu doing 8:06 seventeen years ago and they are still struggling to go faster is damn impressive!

before ‘superbikes’, specific nutrition drinks, speed suits, electronic gears etc.

20 minutes ago, monkie said:

That was horrible.

Congrats, youve just done an ironman. Enjoy the celebration

• Like 1

Yep, will done monkie!

I bet you learned a lot more about yourself having a tough day and getting it done, than you would have if everything fell into place.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Customer said:

course seems a bit short so not comfortable with the Australian Champs record claim. I'm seeing 176-178km on Strava from those who raced.

179.3 -179.4 on a couple for strava I have seen. 

18 minutes ago, Nath. said:

Irrespective of all the talk on which course record.....Pauli Kiriu doing 8:06 seventeen years ago and they are still struggling to go faster is damn impressive!

before ‘superbikes’, specific nutrition drinks, speed suits, electronic gears etc.

But not before PED’s..... 

I have no idea who Pauli Kiriu is never heard of him so not accusing. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Some impressive swim times. Any strava filed on the swim 

I measured at 3779.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nath. said:

Had his trusty Polar HRM though :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, roxii said:

Had his trusty Polar HRM though :lol: 

Wasn't he one of the first to really embrace HR monitors?

I think he's considered one of the early greats.  They've talked about, and mentioned him a bit on imtalk.

1 hour ago, monkie said:

I measured at 3779.

Must have been a good current or down the rolling start help with flow?

some people I know went faster than expected in the swim and also the pros swam super fast too. 

Reports Luke bell used a borrowed bike. His never made it to Port. 

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

Must have been a good current or down the rolling start help with flow?

some people I know went faster than expected in the swim and also the pros swam super fast too. 

I came out with a 1:06 and was expecting 1:10... So either I was on fire (the rest of the day would suggest otherwise) or we had a bit of a current helping.

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

That's the bit I struggle with. Busso is currently the oldest running IM in Australia. 

Foster was the original and first Ironman. But that event is no longer on. They created a new race in Port Mac. With it's own history, course etc. 

So if they stop running Ironman Port Mac & start a new race in Geelong will that then become Ironman Australia?

It was/is Ironman Australia, not IM Forster, or IM Port Mac, yes the location and course have changed many times,  hence the Grand Pa’s axe analogy applies, but it is still IMOZ. If your line of thinking is applied, then Kona isn’t the Hawaiian IM.

22 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Wasn't he one of the first to really embrace HR monitors?

Yeah. Probably helped he came from Finland the home of Polar. But he was known to be a real student of the HRM data. 

12:14 for me, tough day. Had a meltdown 20km in the run...there were tears when I saw the mrs. Came good but a slow run.

However...finished...so happy days

• Like 5

I just realised I didn't pick up a finishers' t-shirt... I was in a bit of a state / daze in the recovery tent (still feel like crap now). What are the chances of getting one tomorrow do you think?

And well done @Scuba Steve, it was horrible out there. Not entirely sure why! And I was in tears pretty much from 16km onwards!

4 minutes ago, monkie said:

I just realised I didn't pick up a finishers' t-shirt... I was in a bit of a state / daze in the recovery tent (still feel like crap now). What are the chances of getting one tomorrow do you think?

And well done @Scuba Steve, it was horrible out there. Not entirely sure why! And I was in tears pretty much from 16km onwards!

You should be right to get one.

1 hour Pb with an 11.50 - pumped considering that wind on the bike on the second lap. Came in with a head cold, and blew up 25k into the run, pretty sure it’s now a chest infection. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Hymie said:

It was/is Ironman Australia, not IM Forster, or IM Port Mac, yes the location and course have changed many times,  hence the Grand Pa’s axe analogy applies, but it is still IMOZ. If your line of thinking is applied, then Kona isn’t the Hawaiian IM.

I don't understand the Pa's Axe analogy? does that mean no matter how many different axes Pa has it will always just be called Pa's Axe?

2 hours ago, monkie said:

That was horrible.

You live and learn mate. A finish is a win. Congrats 

FM

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Hymie said:

I just looked at the Ironman page at how they name the races. It seems to bit all over the place how they name their events. 

Countries with multiple races seem to list the region/area in the name of the race. I couldn't establish a clear pattern for naming races. 

Kona is listed as "World Championships, Kailua-Kona Hawaii" 

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

But not before PED’s..... 

I have no idea who Pauli Kiriu is never heard of him so not accusing. 

Be careful here .He is a good mate of mine we talk on Facebook a bit. Made a transition from athlete to Member of Finnish parliament 😄

Anthing is possible!!!!!!!!

Oh man i miss being out there

Paul Every does it again  15:10:35

Super awesome

• Like 5

2 hours ago, monkie said:

Not sure how they do it in Oz mate but in Wales they have your shirt size on your bib, then cross it out when you collect your shirt. I f they do the same in Oz, maybe take your unchecked bib as proof?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flanman said:

You live and learn mate. A finish is a win. Congrats 

FM

Congrats on your race Flanman, hope youre feeling better today

• Like 1