goughy

Julian Assange

I didn't think we had enough fire around here.  The politics thread, prize money for men and women at fun runs, and AP's tips threads clearly haven't produced enough!  So how about one to discuss JA??

Discuss :)

Hes a tricky one. 

I get what he is mostly trying to do, but he seems like an absolute wanker as well. Like an IT version of the Sea Shepherd guy. 

• Like 2

Criminal.  Deserves whatever he gets, both in Sweden and the US

I was amused by the way he was revered by the left, who now hate him because he compromised Hillary

• Like 1

20 hours ago, roxii said:

Hes a tricky one. 

I get what he is mostly trying to do, but he seems like an absolute wanker as well. Like an IT version of the Sea Shepherd guy. 

There was a brilliant discussion about him on The News Quiz on BBC Radio 4. They described him as being almost "created to test your belief in the importance of a free press by being an unmitigated tosser" or similar.

• Haha 1

With regards to the "freedom of the press" issue, is he actually "press"?  I mean, he's not really a hacker himself is he, because he seems like he's just disseminating stuff that's given to him?  Is he writing articles or just dumping online enmass?

Look, I agree, accountability is something that's needed.  But at the same time, there are things that we don't need to know!  Finding the line, and what the line is, is a bloody difficult question.

Didn't he dump the emails from Hillary or something?  Surely he had stuff about Trump?  Surely.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

With regards to the "freedom of the press" issue, is he actually "press"?  I mean, he's not really a hacker himself is he, because he seems like he's just disseminating stuff that's given to him?  Is he writing articles or just dumping online enmass?

Look, I agree, accountability is something that's needed.  But at the same time, there are things that we don't need to know!  Finding the line, and what the line is, is a bloody difficult question.

Didn't he dump the emails from Hillary or something?  Surely he had stuff about Trump?  Surely.

Many press organisations are purely about the disemination of information. The revelations about MPs expenses in the UK through the main stream media was exactly the same.

He didn't sign the official secrets act so he didn't break any promises and there is certainly a public interest argument to be said for much of the stuff they publish. 

As to whether he had stuff on Trump or not who knows and it's not really relevant. Journalists and the press have no obligation to be even handed (except perhaps the BBC / ABC etc. are meant to be). 

Maybe there is some stuff that we "shouldn't know" but I don't think the cavaliar approach to the taking of civilian life that was being demonstrated by the US military in Iraq falls into that.

The guy is unquestionably a dickhead and should face a trial in Sweden (or is it Switzerland, I forget) for the rape allegations but he should be protected from any extradition / rendition to the US.

• Like 2

The leaks I couldn’t care less. 

But the rape case in Sweden, he needs to go back there for.  

When the poms release him can he be sent there?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I think this is the point of contention at the moment. Who gets "First dibs". My understanding is the UK has a very one sided extradition treaty with the US where they can basically demand anyone is sent there. 

4 hours ago, Peter said:

The charges were dropped and it wasn't rape by our standards. By memory it was consensual but told the girl he had a condom on when he didn't.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, more said:

The charges were dropped and it wasn't rape by our standards. By memory it was consensual but told the girl he had a condom on when he didn't.

I think they were only dropped due to them expiring under a statute of limitations because he was in the embassy? Happy to be shown to be wrong though.

It may not count as rape but that could be either  assault or GBH in the UK.

I dunno, the whole thing sounds pretty dam weird to me...

" Assange tried to have unprotected sex with her, she said, but she asked him to use a condom. He agreed, but, she said, he had “done something” to the condom so that it ripped before he ejaculated. Assange told police that he had sex with Ardin but did not tear the condom, according to the Guardian. In the days that followed, Ardin told a friend that she was still allowing Assange to stay with her, but they were not having sex because he had “exceeded the limits of what she felt she could accept,” the friend told police."

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, more said:

" Assange tried to have unprotected sex with her, she said, but she asked him to use a condom. He agreed, but, she said, he had “done something” to the condom so that it ripped before he ejaculated. Assange told police that he had sex with Ardin but did not tear the condom, according to the Guardian. In the days that followed, Ardin told a friend that she was still allowing Assange to stay with her, but they were not having sex because he had “exceeded the limits of what she felt she could accept,” the friend told police."

Dickileaks?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

After all this time the thing I’m finding hardest for get my head around is someone agreeing to have sex with Assange. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Dickileaks?

You win the internet, that is gold!!

• Thanks 2

In that case. Send him to the usa.  Fark him 

14 hours ago, more said:

The point is that whatever happened a complaint was made to the police about a serious crime comitted under swedish law and the charges were only "dropped" because he hid away from them in the embassy and they expired.

• Like 1

It's kinda funny, when you think about it!  One of the effects of Wikileaks was making govt accountable for their actions!  Which clearly he wasn't willing to be....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, monkie said:

The point is that whatever happened a complaint was made to the police about a serious crime comitted under swedish law and the charges were only "dropped" because he hid away from them in the embassy and they expired.

Was he charged?...... I thought they just wanted him for an interview.

The 3 lesser cases (not all of the cases BTW) were closed because the Swedish prosecutor failed to interview Assange before the statute of limitations on those cases was up. The prosecutor spent years claiming under Swedish law Assange needed to come to Sweden to be interviewed before realising 2 months too late there were precedents and they could indeed interview him in London, which they then did, but 2 months too late. I'd say it was their incompetence that caused those lesser cases to be closed.

Edited by Mike Del

3 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

The 3 lesser cases (not all of the cases BTW) were closed because the Swedish prosecutor failed to interview Assange before the statute of limitations on those cases was up. The prosecutor spent years claiming under Swedish law Assange needed to come to Sweden to be interviewed before realising 2 months too late there were precedents and they could indeed interview him in London, which they then did, but 2 months too late.  

Idiots and I feel sorry for the alleged victims.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2019 at 7:56 PM, monkie said:

Seems you were wrong. 

7A696BAD-24BE-4102-BFD8-587CB86636D9.png

Beat me to it!

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Seems you were wrong. 

7A696BAD-24BE-4102-BFD8-587CB86636D9.png

I think this is a different complaint... But I may not be correct and I haven't looked into it with any great detail but my substantive point was that the complaints hadn't been "dropped" in the sense that the alleged victim had withdrawn them or the police had found no evidence / not charged but rather had ceased to become active as a result of him hiding away. I'm glad they are active again and Assange should be too as they allow him to clear his name (or otherwise) in the proper way.

The travesty will be then if he is deported to the USA (or worse!) once the Swedish stuff is sorted one way or another.

He should definitely face the Swedish stuff, but I am thinking there are some very powerful people behind the scenes of his embassy eviction and the Swedish case being reopened. 

1 minute ago, Prince said:

He should definitely face the Swedish stuff, but I am thinking there are some very powerful people behind the scenes of his embassy eviction and the Swedish case being reopened. 

110%.