Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MackaEvo2

The best training location in the world

Recommended Posts

What would you say is the best training location in the world?

Feel free to choose where you live and explain why
 

Where would you love to go for a training camp and why?

If there are any videos highlighting the location you would love to train at, feel free to add these as well

GTN to get us started

 

 

Edited by MackaEvo2
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bormio, Italy (great indoor pool, epic cycling, endless running trails on flats and hills, great food and beer)

St Moritz (altitude, running track, great indoor pool, epic cycling, endless running trails on flats and hills)

Paphos, Cyprus (several pool options, great climate (although summer gets hot), good quiet roads for cycling with hilly and flat options, aths track)

Geelong (many swimming options including indoor/outdoor pools, ocean, bay, athletics track, flat river tracks, countless cycling options and easy to get to trail running locations)

 

 

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Box (CrossFit gym) can’t beat a good WOD

Ok being serious.

i think the best training location is a place that motivates u to get out the door. A good support network etc

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always loved the Gold Coast. It has the climate, the hills behind on the bike, good running trails on the hinterland or along beach/river fronts, and endless swimming options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I always loved the Gold Coast. It has the climate, the hills behind on the bike, good running trails on the hinterland or along beach/river fronts, and endless swimming options.

Sounds great except for the "Gold Coast" bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we’re talking about the world, unlikely anywhere in Aus, drivers are simply too shit...

Girona is great but can be boring/lonely, especially if you don’t speak Catalan or at least Spanish.

Have heard good things about Portugal and Mallorca too.

 Think Customer is on the ball though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Columbia, Jamaica, or the Canary Islands. WADA never seems to go to those places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Customer said:

Bormio, Italy (great indoor pool, epic cycling, endless running trails on flats and hills, great food and beer)

St Moritz (altitude, running track, great indoor pool, epic cycling, endless running trails on flats and hills)

Paphos, Cyprus (several pool options, great climate (although summer gets hot), good quiet roads for cycling with hilly and flat options, aths track)

Geelong (many swimming options including indoor/outdoor pools, ocean, bay, athletics track, flat river tracks, countless cycling options and easy to get to trail running locations)

 

 

I've visited St Moritz, can't argue with that nomination. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2019 at 8:24 PM, The Customer said:

Bormio, Italy (great indoor pool, epic cycling, endless running trails on flats and hills, great food and beer)

St Moritz (altitude, running track, great indoor pool, epic cycling, endless running trails on flats and hills)

Paphos, Cyprus (several pool options, great climate (although summer gets hot), good quiet roads for cycling with hilly and flat options, aths track)

Geelong (many swimming options including indoor/outdoor pools, ocean, bay, athletics track, flat river tracks, countless cycling options and easy to get to trail running locations)

 

 

 

 

Can't really agree with you on Paphos. The pools that I saw weren't great (or over-crowded) and the roads around Paphos (and much of Cyprus) are shit and the drivers are worse (although not as bad as Australia!).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Buggeracup said:

 

 

Can't really agree with you on Paphos. The pools that I saw weren't great (or over-crowded) and the roads around Paphos (and much of Cyprus) are shit and the drivers are worse (although not as bad as Australia!).  

The 50m Olympic pool out beside the aths track is pretty nice. I've been there a couple of times on organised training camps so we had the pool all to ourselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/05/2019 at 2:24 AM, The Customer said:

Paphos, Cyprus (several pool options, great climate (although summer gets hot), good quiet roads for cycling with hilly and flat options, aths track)

Hmmm. Haven’t thought of Cyprus. I assume that’s on the Greek side of the border? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/05/2019 at 2:24 AM, The Customer said:

Bormio, Italy (great indoor pool, epic cycling, endless running trails on flats and hills, great food and beer)

St Moritz (altitude, running track, great indoor pool, epic cycling, endless running trails on flats and hills)

Paphos, Cyprus (several pool options, great climate (although summer gets hot), good quiet roads for cycling with hilly and flat options, aths track)

Geelong (many swimming options including indoor/outdoor pools, ocean, bay, athletics track, flat river tracks, countless cycling options and easy to get to trail running locations)

 

 

Mmmm…. ?? St Moritz or Geelong ?? Mmmmm…. ?? Hard choice.

FM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

Frankston or  Lanzarote 😄

I have been to both😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Mmmm…. ?? St Moritz or Geelong ?? Mmmmm…. ?? Hard choice.

FM

St Moritz is expensive and has one 25m pool. Geelong is cheap and has a dozen pools plus the coast. Depends what you want.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Customer said:

St Moritz is expensive and has one 25m pool. Geelong is cheap and has a dozen pools plus the coast. Depends what you want.

Swim in the lake, brrrrr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would pick Marin County in San Francisco. Big training groups, the entire community is very active, trail running, beautiful swimming pools, great mountains to ride.

Lake Tahoe is only a few hour drive away and the perfect location for a weekend training camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

:yes:

I dipped my toes in, that was enough. However, I did do a bit of breastroke in a glacial lake in the French Alps. I'm not a total sook.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

needs to be somewhere that isn't too wet/cold in the morning for riding or too hot for running. Water temp needs to be over 20C and with nothing in the water that can eat you. Prefer somewhere with hills for riding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zed said:

needs to be somewhere that isn't too wet/cold in the morning for riding or too hot for running. Water temp needs to be over 20C and with nothing in the water that can eat you. Prefer somewhere with hills for riding. 

Sounds wonderful. However there'd only be 1 or 2 races around the world you could prepare for. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Sounds wonderful. However there'd only be 1 or 2 races around the world you could prepare for. :)

haha I know. Rules out Australia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, there are so many good and bad options on the list. Getting somewhere that has access decent, affordable and safe places to train is a challenge. Year round I can't argue that Geelong and Adelaide are good option. If we said non winter months then a few that pop up like Boulder, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Regensberg, Christchurch. But you wouldn't want to be in this places in winter. 

Some of us have lived in several different places and made a good training environment for ourselves every new place we've lived. I guess the real key is getting all your training and racing done with your support mechanisms in place to keep your own little world in balance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/05/2019 at 3:25 PM, trilobite said:

My Coot-tha.

At 4:30am.

In the rain.

Brisbane is hard to beat 

Western suburbs alone have at least 5 heated olympic pools 

We have hills and lots of trails 20min from the cbd

One hour to the south we have the Gold Coast and all the mountains behind the coast

Two hours north we have Noosa with great open water swimming and hinterland rides

Our winter only requires a pair of arm warmers

We have open water swimming in Ex's dam only 20min from inner city

Good hygiene standards compared to lots of Asian place

You can drink the water - available at any park around town

Clean public toilets available all round town (and you don't have to pay)

The natives speak english

 

 

Edited by AP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AP said:

Brisbane is hard to beat

Clean public toilets available all round town (and you don't have to pay)

The natives speak english

 

 

Notwithstanding I agree that Brisbane is hard to beat, calling the public toilets clean implies a low bar...

Some of the inhabitants might struggle with the English component of year 3 NAPLAN if they say it this week too...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AP said:

Brisbane is hard to beat 

Western suburbs alone have at least 5 heated olympic pools 

We have hills and lots of trails 20min from the cbd

One hour to the south we have the Gold Coast and all the mountains behind the coast

Two hours north we have Noosa with great open water swimming and hinterland rides

Our winter only requires a pair of arm warmers

We have open water swimming in Ex's dam only 20min from inner city

Good hygiene standards compared to lots of Asian place

You can drink the water - available at any park around town

Clean public toilets available all round town (and you don't have to pay)

The natives speak english

 

 

AP, it's hard to argue with some of your points. I used to live and train in Brisbane in the 1990's and it was a great training environment. I had some of my best race results on the back of that training. What stops me from saying its a great training place is the roads, traffic and drivers. 

Likewise with Noosa. I've lived there at different stages of my life, ever since I was a kid. Seen a lot of changes there and loved living there, training there and racing there. However, in the last 4 years things have gone downhill as far as it being a great training place. Mainly due to safety on the roads (just ask Jan what he thinks). Sure the swimming and running are great. My local pool was the 50m outdoor pool near Noosa junction ( a 5 min walk, how good is that!) and a walk down the hill to Main beach was one of the best swimming beaches around.My running trails were the national park and to the south the 'swamp' with trails to Perregian beach. Longer runs up in the hinterland are great training, You couldn't ask for better facilities and weather, but the days of safe riding  on the Sunshine Coast are over. The roads are adequate but the drivers are just feral towards cyclists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does having a pool ( of any length ) make a big difference if you have a lake / dam / ocean close by? Even if I do have a pool, I prefer to use the ocean or river.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, softy said:

Does having a pool ( of any length ) make a big difference if you have a lake / dam / ocean close by? Even if I do have a pool, I prefer to use the ocean or river.

I prefer to swim in a lake, but I have to admit I would never be able to replicate the hard work you can do with a squad in a pool. But man I hate that black line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't enjoy cycling in Queensland mainly due to the traffic and attitudes of the drivers. Can't think of a worse place to train than the Gold Coast. I don't see how speaking English is a factor at all. All my best training experiences have been in non-English speaking countries.

Swimming pool access is one of the more frustrating factors. There are some exceptional places to train in the world, such as the Dolomites and French Alps, but getting access to a 25m pool with some kind of lap swimming structure is the main pitfall. I put Bormio Italy and St Moritz high on my list because of the swimming pools are well organised and cater to athletes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it's not until you travel that you fully appreciate the ease of access we have to 50 metre pools in so much of Australia. Proximity, accessibility and affordability is matched by very few countries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, zed said:

needs to be somewhere that isn't too wet/cold in the morning for riding or too hot for running. Water temp needs to be over 20C and with nothing in the water that can eat you. Prefer somewhere with hills for riding. 

Adelaide

41 minutes ago, The Customer said:

I just don't enjoy cycling in Queensland mainly due to the traffic and attitudes of the drivers. Can't think of a worse place to train than the Gold Coast. I don't see how speaking English is a factor at all. All my best training experiences have been in non-English speaking countries.

Queensland now has the metre rule (as does every state except Victoria) - I noticed the difference a couple of years ago when I was training in Hervey Bay, everyone gave me heaps of room (except for the garbage truck).  Victoria can be ruled out on that point alone, and let's not mention the weather....

The Gold Coast still sucks though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, softy said:

Does having a pool ( of any length ) make a big difference if you have a lake / dam / ocean close by? Even if I do have a pool, I prefer to use the ocean or river.

 

47 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I prefer to swim in a lake, but I have to admit I would never be able to replicate the hard work you can do with a squad in a pool. But man I hate that black line.

I agree with you both.

Love the feel of open water. Of being a small part of the natural world, whether it be in the serenity of a clear mountain lake or being surrounded by the vastness and latent power of the ocean.

Like running in the bush, it feeds the soul.

Though I've never hurt during swimming like I have in squad.

An ideal training location has access to both.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Boulder Colorado. I thought that was the holy grail for training.

Winter average maximums of around 8*C and minimums of -6*C.

Probably really good if you wanted to complement your summers of tri training with winters of cross country skiing.

I've been to some places in Europe, US, Canada and Japan which I'd rate highly for SBR training in summer, though winter would be a different story.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sydney it is........... Northern suburbs of course! Lots of pool options, 20 min drive to beach, West Head, Akuna, Bobbin ahead, Gorges riding options - Kuringai National Park for trail running. And weather is perfect! Now - just need 4.5 million people to move out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Boulder Colorado. I thought that was the holy grail for training.

Yeah I did in my first post, but not a year round option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AP said:

Brisbane is hard to beat 

Western suburbs alone have at least 5 heated olympic pools 

We have hills and lots of trails 20min from the cbd

One hour to the south we have the Gold Coast and all the mountains behind the coast

Two hours north we have Noosa with great open water swimming and hinterland rides

Our winter only requires a pair of arm warmers

We have open water swimming in Ex's dam only 20min from inner city

Good hygiene standards compared to lots of Asian place

You can drink the water - available at any park around town

Clean public toilets available all round town (and you don't have to pay)

The natives speak english

 

 

So Brisbane is perfect if precious & need a clean toilet & like driving over an hour to find a good training location.😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Sydney it is........... Northern suburbs of course! Lots of pool options, 20 min drive to beach, West Head, Akuna, Bobbin ahead, Gorges riding options - Kuringai National Park for trail running. And weather is perfect! Now - just need 4.5 million people to move out. 

And more excellent trail running in Lane Cove National Park (all the way up to North Epping/Pennant Hills/Thornleigh), Garigal National Park and the Great North Walk going all the way to Newcastle.

You forgot Brooklyn-Mt White-Sommersby-Peats Ridge for cycling as well.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bored@work said:

So Brisbane is perfect if precious & need a clean toilet & like driving over an hour to find a good training location.😏

You saw the dam B@W. 15 minutes from the CBD, bush trails for running or MTB (you can ride 24 hours & not go over the same track twice), and mountain road riding from the same spot. If you want to, you can even pee in the dam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You saw the dam B@W. 15 minutes from the CBD, bush trails for running or MTB (you can ride 24 hours & not go over the same track twice), and mountain road riding from the same spot. If you want to, you can even pee in the dam.

It’s a nice dam. I’ll give u that. I’m up there again for a month in August so we will have to go for another swim. My shout for breakfast this time 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Customer said:

So B@W, you'll be hooking in with AP's squad then? Maybe do some lawn mowing after the sessions?

Lol I might see him on Mt Cootha or if he wants to pin a number & have a crack at the Numdah Crit racing. 

Looking at the last two photos he has posted of his training squad (port Mac & Mt Cootha squad) I’m tipping I wouldn’t enjoy their bunch rides. 

Unless there is two groups that head out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Lol I might see him on Mt Cootha or if he wants to pin a number & have a crack at the Numdah Crit racing. 

Looking at the last two photos he has posted of his training squad (port Mac & Mt Cootha squad) I’m tipping I wouldn’t enjoy their bunch rides. 

Unless there is two groups that head out.

Here's the Hamilton Calendar guys. Work out which race you'll be doing & I'll come out to watch. If you're here in early September B@, the Lakeside race is a beauty. It's a race-track built for cars/motorbikes that they race on now & again. Nice pinch of a hill before a quick descent to the finish of each lap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Here's the Hamilton Calendar guys. Work out which race you'll be doing & I'll come out to watch. If you're here in early September B@, the Lakeside race is a beauty. It's a race-track built for cars/motorbikes that they race on now & again. Nice pinch of a hill before a quick descent to the finish of each lap. 

Heading to France in early September to watch the 70.3 worlds. Drink coffee & eat donuts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bosco said:

Sydney it is........... Northern suburbs of course! Lots of pool options, 20 min drive to beach, West Head, Akuna, Bobbin ahead, Gorges riding options - Kuringai National Park for trail running. And weather is perfect! Now - just need 4.5 million people to move out. 

 

13 hours ago, Paul Every said:

And more excellent trail running in Lane Cove National Park (all the way up to North Epping/Pennant Hills/Thornleigh), Garigal National Park and the Great North Walk going all the way to Newcastle.

You forgot Brooklyn-Mt White-Sommersby-Peats Ridge for cycling as well.

Having lived there I totally agree.  Cycling up north and in and around bobbo is one thing I really miss.

I don't miss the 45-60 minutes to the city.

But the above is why the north side of Sydney is awesome.

I'd even go as far to say the preferred location is North Turramurra. Such good access to all training rides and runs from your font door.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon that the Big Rock Candy Mountain is the best location. For everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...