Sign in to follow this  
AJS

Bike shipping from Europe back to Oz

Hello all,

I've managed to snag a spot at the 70.3 worlds in Nice in September - but since doing so, we're now expecting a new bub in July... 

So, aside from maybe not actually being able to go / train for / get there in one piece with a six week old (!!!!), I was contemplating shipping the bike home direct from Nice to Sydney to try and make life a bit easier (as we're travelling elsewhere afterwards)...

Just wondered if anyone had used a bike-shipping company from Europe back to Oz, and whether you'd avoid / recommend it?

Cheers!

Alex

1 minute ago, AJS said:

Hello all,

I've managed to snag a spot at the 70.3 worlds in Nice in September - but since doing so, we're now expecting a new bub in July... 

So, aside from maybe not actually being able to go / train for / get there in one piece with a six week old (!!!!), I was contemplating shipping the bike home direct from Nice to Sydney to try and make life a bit easier (as we're travelling elsewhere afterwards)...

Just wondered if anyone had used a bike-shipping company from Europe back to Oz, and whether you'd avoid / recommend it?

Cheers!

Alex

Pay my excess baggage, buy me a coffee & donut & I'll drag it back to Aust for you. Then ship it to Sydney when you're back in country.

8 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Pay my excess baggage, buy me a coffee & donut & I'll drag it back to Aust for you. Then ship it to Sydney when you're back in country.

You're going to Nice? Racing? Aren't you retired or something? 

8 minutes ago, willie said:

You're going to Nice? Racing? Aren't you retired or something? 

Over there for the Vuelta?

I'm going over for the 70.3 Worlds. I'm retired. Not racing. Just going to watch a buddy race. I'll volunter & give back to the sport.

I'm only there for 10 days. Plan is to ride a few of the famous climbs around that area, drink coffee and eat donuts.

• Like 1

Hi AJS, just cut and pasted this from another post I had commented on. 

We went to Roth last year (2016) and unfortunately there was not easy or cheap way to get your bike there or back. We flew Singapore airlines who allow 30kg and managed to get 2 bikes, everything we needed to race  and clothes for a 4 week holiday with a kg or 2 to spare. Our problem was we wanted to ship them back which we ended up doing but it cost around $2000 for 2 bikes. Could of almost paid for a friend to come and accompany them back. In hind sight we would have flown in and out of Munich and left them at the airport left luggage. Hope that helped. We used WORLD BAGGAGE. If you can do without your bike for a couple of months you can ship them back, we flew ours which was meant to take a week but was more like 3 weeks with custom etc.

Find a bike shop to send it back. It's not that expensive on an account. I think I could even use my TNT acxount to go nice-AUS. I'll email my account manager and let you know. 

Would it be easier to hire a bike to race on, pick up when youre there & return when youre done?

After Ironman Canada I Shipped My Bike To The last Place I was Staying At In LA , And They Looked After It And Took It Home From There Still Cost About $400 

$580 back to OZ not including insurance for a cardboard box size and weighing 20kgs. Insurance for $5k was $170 odd. $750 or so total. Not cheap. 

2 hours ago, willie said:

$580 back to OZ not including insurance for a cardboard box size and weighing 20kgs. Insurance for $5k was $170 odd. $750 or so total. Not cheap. 

3 x donuts

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

3 x donuts

I reckon you might get a coffee out of it too if you really twist am arm ;)

Thanks all - I have been digging a bit deeper and looking at bike hire as an option... through the official partners its E435 ($700au) for a TT bike (a Ventum) or about E250-400 for a roadie...

Will keep pondering a wee bit more!!! 

• Like 1

Personally for that cost I'd just go the hire route. If you want to have a real crack get a TT, if you're just about enjoying the experience get a roadie. However I'd talk to a couple of other places and ask about hire. Would definitely be cheaper. 

4 hours ago, AJS said:

Thanks all - I have been digging a bit deeper and looking at bike hire as an option... through the official partners its E435 ($700au) for a TT bike (a Ventum) or about E250-400 for a roadie...

Will keep pondering a wee bit more!!! 

I’m now having to contemplate the same thing. 

At the moment I’m leaning to taking my own bike, the bike hiring in Nice seems expensive - I’ve hired before in Hawaii when I did the 70.3 there and it was much cheaper (I think).

And thinking about taking the roadie instead of the TT due to the hilly course - interested in other people’s thoughts who know the course. 

First world problems, but tough choices nonetheless!

My current offer is 3 x donuts.  Supply v demand & the cost of return freight I'm bumping it to six donuts.