Bored@work

Garmin Fenix5S

JB HiFI have the Garmin Fenix 5S on sale at $399  the advert claims to be $400 off.

Not sure if the battery life will last 17hrs for Norseman peeps.

But thought I would post incase someone was thinking of upgrading/gettin one.

I could be wrong, but I think it might have been only one particular colour?  Don't hold me to that, but that's what it seemed when I looked at it the other day.

Black and white. 

It's got pretty shitty battery life though. Only 12hrs from memory with stuff turned on. I think the 935 is better for triathlon folks. 

735xt is now a dead fish from what I'm told as well. 

1 minute ago, roxii said:

Is it a worthwhile upgrade from the 3? 

I don't think so, some people that are smaller might like it more size wise, but featured are not that different. The 5s Plus had the extra goodies. The F3 probably has as good, if not better battery life as well. 

Just that the 3 is a big lump and since all I do is swimming wanted something a bit smaller that can still log pool and open water. 

Damn don’t tell me that! I wanted one of these earlier in the year because I’m small built and the size appeals to me. Couldn’t justify the price ($799 I think) so found a 3 on fb in good condition (it’s huge though!). The battery life is prob the only downside I could tell - would just have to do my next Ironman quicker haha. 

59 minutes ago, willie said:

It's got pretty shitty battery life though. Only 12hrs from memory with stuff turned on.

People could take that as a challenge and just try a bit harder and go sub 12.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it.  I wore my f3 continually after my Pebble watch was done with, and it is a big watch!  Had to take it off at work at times depending on what I was doing.  But I got used to it.  Now I've got the va3 on it feels like I'm not wearing a watch at all!  If the screen on the F5s is the same as the va3, then I find it better and easier to read than the one on my f3.  Plus it will have access to better and nicer watchfaces and apps than the f3 does.

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Just that the 3 is a big lump and since all I do is swimming wanted something a bit smaller that can still log pool and open water. 

You could always offload the 3 and only be out of pocket $150 on the 5S. Size really does matter :lol:

5 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Not sure if the battery life will last 17hrs for Norseman peeps

Thanks for the heads up  :thumbsup:

Been to the top, but not racing.   I'll keep this in mind. 

I've got the 935, battery life is amazing. A guy at work has the F5 and I just couldn't live with a watch that bulky, haven't seen the 5S in the flesh.

9 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I've got the 935, battery life is amazing. A guy at work has the F5 and I just couldn't live with a watch that bulky, haven't seen the 5S in the flesh.

5s is just a litter thicker (maybe 2-3mm) than the 935 and a bit heavier. Thats about the only size difference. 

So willie can you get the vivoactive 3 at competitive prices? Officeworks, JB etc have them for $349? I'm after a black and slate coloured one.

Interestingly, the Garmin site list the black/Silver and white/Silver VA3 at $449rrp, but the Rose gold/white, and the black/slate are both listed at $499rrp.

I haven't seen anywhere that has the black/slate!  Even hta doesn't have 'em.

2 hours ago, goughy said:

Even hta doesn't have 'em.

What's HTA?

Edited by trinube

I've used Garmin going back to the 310XT, but in the last 3 or 4 years, they seem to have lost their reliability. Either wrist units or HRM straps to be replaced multiple times.

Is there a more reliable alternative these days? I'm still using a 910XT. 

18 hours ago, trinube said:

So willie can you get the vivoactive 3 at competitive prices? Officeworks, JB etc have them for $349? I'm after a black and slate coloured one.

If you can get the black/slate one for $349 I'd go with that... Probably won't find any better than that (my cost price is $10 higher than that). 

10 hours ago, softy said:

I've used Garmin going back to the 310XT, but in the last 3 or 4 years, they seem to have lost their reliability. Either wrist units or HRM straps to be replaced multiple times.

Is there a more reliable alternative these days? I'm still using a 910XT. 

That probably is your reliable alternative!

HRM straps have been an issue for them since the 301xt!  There were never any issues with the old style hard plastic one they used prior to the 310.  But I've had multiple straps since then.  Even tried the polar straps with the Garmin unit clipped on and still had issues.  I haven't written a HRM in a couple of years now but was having no problems with the newer Garmin HRM run model.

I know some people swear by the Suunto models.  I don't know if they have the feature list of the Garmin's, didn't a few years ago.  Polar were late to the game in the keeping up stakes.  

Garmin had issues when they changed from sirf to MediaTek GPS chips, though they improved things as it went.  The Fenix2 was a bit of a general lemon, but they got things pretty good by the F3.  I think they now use Sony GPS chips, which I see Suunto have now changed to.  I think the sirf chips were the most accurate though (which your 910 has).

You might hear of lots of problems with Garmin's compared to other because there are so many more of them in the market.  How many people do you know that use a sports watch (not Apple watch or Fitbit (which is really just a daily activity tracker)) other than Garmin?  But my personal experience is that Garmin do stand behind their products (even outside of the 12 month warranty which is really meaningless in Aus anyway).

As an example of what's out there, Apple has 35% of the worldwide smartwatch market.  Garmin has 1.5% (saw this on a news story the other day).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willie said:

If you can get the black/slate one for $349 I'd go with that... Probably won't find any better than that (my cost price is $10 higher than that). 

That's the problem, I can't find a black/gun barrel colour anywhere. I'm wondering if they phased it our when they brought out the music version which is all black.  Just not a fan of the silver or white versions.

They're still listed as available on Garmin's site, granted for 499.

The Silver looks alright, my f3 was more the gunmetal colour.  I'll get a stainless band for this one sometime in the future for dressier days.