longshot

Cyclist fatal crash court case

Sigh....

See it every day, on my 7min drive to the office, almost always a female.  Today didn't disappoint, Green P-plater female.

Must look at phone.  Must respond.  Must be a dopey f*ckwit.

Her phone records indicate she was texting regularly on the drive, even if not actually texting when she hit him - though still possibly looking at her phone.

Yes, I've seen the same. Not sure about the male/female thing - (male) tradies are bad for being on the phone from what I've seen - but recently did have a young women almost stop in the middle of a side street just past an intersection to type a message, looking down trying to hide what she was doing. Got the guilts when I was about to take a photo of it whilst on my bike.

Edited by longshot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Sigh....

See it every day, on my 7min drive to the office, almost always a female.  Today didn't disappoint, Green P-plater female.

Must look at phone.  Must respond.  Must be a dopey f*ckwit.

Her phone records indicate she was texting regularly on the drive, even if not actually texting when she hit him - though still possibly looking at her phone.

INCOMING!!!!!!!!! 

I was bad for checkign my phone at the stop lights etc. It was just a habit I got into. Never when I was driving.

2017 NYE was to stop it. I can honestly say I don't check the phone when I'm driving :) 

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Sigh....

See it every day, on my 7min drive to the office, almost always a person.  Today didn't disappoint, Green P-plater person.

Must look at phone.  Must respond.  Must be a dopey person.

Their phone records indicate they was texting regularly on the drive, even if not actually texting when the driver hit the cyclist - though still possibly looking at their phone.

4 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

INCOMING!!!!!!!!! 

Fixed 

Regardless of what sentence she receives, I believe anyone who kills someone else as a result of careless/dangerous driving should be banned from holding a driver's licence for the rest of their life.

I've only ever seen a 2 year ban from driving, which I find ridiculous.

9 minutes ago, Rob said:

Regardless of what sentence she receives, I believe anyone who kills someone else as a result of careless/dangerous driving should be banned from holding a driver's licence for the rest of their life.

I've only ever seen a 2 year ban from driving, which I find ridiculous.

It shouldn't be limited to fatal incidents.  Driving isn't a right but a privilege

High level DUI, careless use causing harm should lose that right.. however not having a license likely wouldn't stop these people driving anyway...

• Like 1

I ride a motorcycle 9km to the office. I would say one in 10 cars I pass are on mobiles.  

The laws need to change if you are caught using a mobile your car is just crushed. 

Police must have video proof for this to be the outcome. 

Once several high end cars get crushed, people will stop using mobiles. 

I don't understand why people don't simply install hands-free, so at least they are (mostly) looking ahead.

I ride past plenty on phones in my 2km commute to CBD MEL. I do feel sorry for people stuck in cars, facing an hour or so commute, stop-go, mostly stop. I can see why they start using phones - not condoning it  though - then it just spreads to when they are actually moving.

19 minutes ago, longshot said:

I don't understand why people don't simply install hands-free, so at least they are (mostly) looking ahead.

Doesn't Android Auto read your text out loud for you and allow you to dictate a reply? I have this with my car & it's great. Still a distraction, but when in stop start traffic it makes texting so easy in the stop parts.

3 hours ago, Peter said:

I ride a motorcycle 9km to the office. I would say one in 10 cars I pass are on mobiles.  

The laws need to change if you are caught using a mobile your car is just crushed. 

Police must have video proof for this to be the outcome. 

Once several high end cars get crushed, people will stop using mobiles. 

Come on Pete, we've only seen you on your wife's scooter! Stop talking it up mate. Haha

• Haha 1

Driving home from sunny coast today, lady in front was playing peek-a-boo with baby in rear passenger seat. 

Felt so much safer when in front of her.

Can we ban children in cars?

Guy from old work wiped out his ute on a country road when hot ash fell on footy shorts and burnt straight through (coach had told him to quit the fags) - we should also ban all smoking in cars.

Driving to work last week and passed green P plater in WRK with windows almost busting from subwoofer volume. Watched in the mirror as he held up an ambulance (lights and sirens) for about 3 min (as I was a few cars up by then in a 100 zone I was waiting for the need to pull over) - we should ban stereos in cars.

We don't need lots of individual little case by case laws, we need people to drive responsibly.

BTW my kid came home a few years ago spewing that he had got a (like $380+) ticket for texting on his mobile while riding down the street - we laughed at him and asked where to send the chocolates to the copper for saving the boy's life.

I work in the mobile industry and I switch my phone off in the car, always.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I work in the mobile industry and I switch my phone off in the car, always.

Me too, & our company policy is you pull over to take a call. Even if you have hands free.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it's because I have the mtb and Zwift for the TT bike but I've been thinking more and more about whether I need to be on the road lately.  A training friend is currently in hospital with 8 broken ribs, broken collar bone and two broken vertebrae after being hit by a car that simply didn't look before they pulled out of a drive.

On the whole, I find cycling in the UK way way safer than I ever did in Oz but there is this nagging feeling that bad things can happen, either through inattention or malicious intent.  Unfortunately your bones don't know the difference, they just break. :(

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Come on Pete, we've only seen you on your wife's scooter! Stop talking it up mate. Haha

I don’t ride the 1963 Vespa to the city.  Might not make it home. 

Edited by Peter

27 minutes ago, Peter said:

I don’t ride the 1963 Vespa to the city.  Might not make it home. 

Sell the Vespa to me 

13 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Sell the Vespa to me 

It'd be quite modern for Adelaide.

42 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Sell the Vespa to me 

$4k is good for short distances.  But I wouldn’t take it longer than 20k 

15 hours ago, longshot said:

Not sure about the male/female thing - (male) tradies are bad for being on the phone from what I've seen

Agree - my observation on illegal mobile use in cars is that males (yup lots of tradies) tend to be talking on the phone, while females tend to be texting.  Both distracting, but texting far worse IMO.  I have enough trouble texting while sitting on the couch.  I guarantee I'd be all over the road if I tried to text while driving.

10 hours ago, FatPom said:

I'm not sure if it's because I have the mtb and Zwift for the TT bike but I've been thinking more and more about whether I need to be on the road lately.  A training friend is currently in hospital with 8 broken ribs, broken collar bone and two broken vertebrae after being hit by a car that simply didn't look before they pulled out of a drive.

On the whole, I find cycling in the UK way way safer than I ever did in Oz but there is this nagging feeling that bad things can happen, either through inattention or malicious intent.  Unfortunately your bones don't know the difference, they just break. :(

Yep, mainly due to my hip and the fact I cant ride "hard" any more I have only been on the bike a few times in the last 12 months, but the  more I hear these stories the more I think I may just give it all away, and I live in a place where I can ride an hour or so in relative safety,  whereas before I was pretty cavalier about that sort of stuff.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FatPom said:

I’m the same but I love riding the roads & hills around Adelaide. I’m also loving road racing. My wife is shit scared something will happen to me on the road. I just signed up to life & income protection insurance just Incase something happens. $500a month is a lot of coin but I need to ensure my family is looked after something happens to me.

• Like 1

I was behind a male P plater last week at a set of lights and they had the phone stuck to the windscreen - they were watching a TV show or movie ffs.

Just don't understand what can be so important that the message must be responded to within 30sec of receiving it, or 3 minutes or even 30 minutes........

I can say unequivocally that none of these matters or messages or emails are life and death. Not sure how much clearer it has to be - put the phone away, lock it in the boot or the glovebox. The world is not going to fall apart during a drive to work or to the shops.

Caught once - lose licence for 12 months - no questions.

Caught twice lose it for 5 years.

Money is not a deterrent.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Capt Underpants said:

Caught once - lose licence for 12 months - no questions.

Caught twice lose it for 5 years.

Money is not a deterrent.

They still drive.  It's why crushing cars is a better option.  Imagine that P plater going home and telling dad his 2yr old audi got towed and crushed because he was using his mobile whilst driving.

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

They still drive.  It's why crushing cars is a better option.  Imagine that P plater going home and telling dad his 2yr old audi got towed and crushed because he was using his mobile whilst driving.

There cars aere probably worth less than the fine. They will also just steal another one.

I find it amazing seeing people driving big $$ cars and holding their phone. Surely a new Audi has bluetooth connectivity,, bloody well use it. 

I have kids 12 and 17 and txt is their main means of communication, however I have told them if they txt me when Im driving not to expect a response, either that or if its important I will ring them back (phone mounted/ handsfree/ bluetooth etc) 

Also (I didnt know this but again have teens so I was told with an eyeroll) when using txt there is the little microphone symbol next to the space bar that will turn speech to txt. 

28 minutes ago, roxii said:

.... when using txt there is the little microphone symbol next to the space bar that will turn speech to txt. 

I always thought that just recorded you. Shows what I know. lol

3 minutes ago, Katz said:

I always thought that just recorded you. Shows what I know. lol

I’m actually doing this response with it now to see if it works. 

Yep fine. 

• Like 1

If you are going to use a microphone to record your message into text why don't they just call.

1 minute ago, Limited said:

If you are going to use a microphone to record your message into text why don't they just call.

As I say, younger folk don't call, they text. Even if they do call these days they text first to see if its a good time to call,,,, serioulsy! 

My son has a good vocabulary but is crap at spelling, so when he gets to a big word when texting, he hits the microphone and dictates the word, then continues typing.  Go figure??? 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, roxii said:

I’m actually doing this response with it now to see if it works. 

Yep fine. 

I feel like Siri would just make stuff up like she does at any other time I try to use her. She's a complete moll.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Katz said:

I feel like Siri would just make stuff up like she does at any other time I try to use her. She's a complete moll.

It doesnt actually activate Siri, it is just dictation through the microphone on whatever app you ate typing in. 

My Trannies response word count may increase now  :lol: 

• Haha 1

As I said earlier, Android Auto, reads texts out to you, and allows you to dictate the message back. It's insane to manually text in a car.

16 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

As I said earlier, Android Auto, reads texts out to you, and allows you to dictate the message back. It's insane to manually text in a car

Why assume people are texting.   Facebook, instagram, checking emails.    

I see people taking selfies while driving and also those dickheads who do it cycling to get some Insta gains.  

Most drivers  think it is OK while at lights or stopped,  yes it isn't as dangerous but those who do are more likely to look at it while driving as it becomes an obsession.  Today's society is consumed by instant responses, gratification and lack concept of awareness, care factor of others.   

1 hour ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Most drivers  think it is OK while at lights or stopped,  yes it isn't as dangerous but those who do are more likely to look at it while driving as it becomes an obsession.  Today's society is consumed by instant responses, gratification and lack concept of awareness, care factor of others.   

Yup, another one at lunch time on my way back from the gym, female Red P-plater, it was scary to see how long her eyes were off the road.

And in line with what you say Andrew, I'm in the gym alone with my ipod with headphones, 2 young females come in and put on their shit Yank rap music at FULL EFFIN TILT!  Even Judas Priest on my Ipod turned up loud as my ears could bear could not drown it out.  Zero care factor.

On 01/05/2019 at 8:36 AM, longshot said:

I ride past plenty on phones in my 2km commute to CBD MEL. I do feel sorry for people stuck in cars, facing an hour or so commute, stop-go, mostly stop. I can see why they start using phones - not condoning it  though - then it just spreads to when they are actually moving.

I work as a contractor in the Oil & Gas sector and use of mobiles - holding them or hands-free - is a dismissable offence. Studies have shown it's more in the distraction than the use.

I won't. When I get in the car, the phone goes in the boot.

• Like 1

Saw an interesting one this morning. 

A young woman in the car next to me, doing about 80km, with her phone mounted on the dash, with the front facing camera on, using it to do her makeup, selfie style.  :eek:

Was this one that one that was driving the BMW and parked up the road and sat there leaving the cyclist she just hit to die  while she complained to a friend how it had "ruined her day"? Or is this yet another one

• Sad 1

different surroundings but,  a similar act to what took the life of Luke Harrop, for those who remember him