Jump to content
zed

Busso 70.3 - deja vu all over again....

Recommended Posts

Weather is almost identical to last year.... not going to be good for the event to have another swim cancellation. That would make it 4/5 of the last Busso 70.3s have had swim cancellations... although May 2017, only the last few waves were affected.

 

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 7.38.38 pm.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it because Busso half is a licensed event rather than IM running it themselves?

But I agree, it's dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A cancelled swim would make me happy. 😀

It will be tough on the bike with rain and strong winds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll be tough spectating too. Might need a jacket or something this year.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Katz said:

It'll be tough spectating too. Might need a jacket or something this year.

14 is summer kit in Melbourne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Busso 70.3 and the half before it has always been on the first weekend of May.......for like 30 years.

IM shifted Port Mac to clash with us a few years ago........their idea !!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt the clash would have much effect on the numbers of either event.

I'd assume any Sandgropers motivated and focused enough to travel 4000km to race an IM would happily choose Port over a local half. And it would be a long way to go for the half distance.

Nor can I imagine a late season half in Busso getting much support from the eastern states, even if it didn't clash with Port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

I doubt the clash would have much effect on the numbers of either event.

I'd assume any Sandgropers motivated and focused enough to travel 4000km to race an IM would happily choose Port over a local half. And it would be a long way to go for the half distance.

Nor can I imagine a late season half in Busso getting much support from the eastern states, even if it didn't clash with Port.

Probably right.

I'm just concerned that IM Asia Pacific's computer systems seem to have trouble with 1 race, let alone having 2 going at the same time. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Probably right.

I'm just concerned that IM Asia Pacific's computer systems seem to have trouble with 1 race, let alone having 2 going at the same time. :)

They are upgrading from Windows 95 later this year I believe.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, zed said:

They are upgrading from Windows 95 later this year I believe.

This just isn't true.

I spoke to the IT guy there and he said they can only find 13 of the 15 floppy disks needed to upgrade.  Until they find the missing 2, they will be staying at windows 3.1

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lzbones said:

Why are the numbers so low? Getting sms every week asking me to enter

If you find out I'm sure TWA would love to know too.

My personal opinion is that we ran out of bucket-listers and the sport in WA has done little to help itself retain members or attract new ones.  A combination of burnout, complacency and poor management.  There are also too many cooler endurance options out there now for people more interested in doing something for a challenge that might previously have been attracted to triathlon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, lzbones said:

Why are the numbers so low? Getting sms every week asking me to enter

Maybe people want a Triathlon rather than a potential Duathlon?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lzbones said:

Why are the numbers so low? Getting sms every week asking me to enter

I’ll tell you. It’s not advertised in the east at all. 

Guessing because it used to sell out so fast. 

It’s a 70.3 id love to do but to be honest I just forget about it. Never see it advertised here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lzbones said:

Why are the numbers so low? Getting sms every week asking me to enter

70.3 in December took away a good 20%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, zed said:

70.3 in December took away a good 20%

Hope it stays around - I’d do it even if it wasn’t branded im

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lzbones said:

Hope it stays around - I’d do it even if it wasn’t branded im

It didn't help moving the race to the Sunday. I think now it's on a Saturday numbers should eventually pick up. Also might be an idea to start thinking of moving in to earlier in the season. Weather can a bit iffy in May. We generally get good weather for Busso in May, but last year was shit and a few years we've had temps as low as 4C.. Also I'm finding it a ball ache having it right at the end of the season.

Not sure how long everyone else's seasons are, but the WA season seems to drag. First race for a lot of peeps is the Armadale duathlon first week in October,  then various sprints, ODs and IMWA/70.3 in December, Chrissy, then sprints/ODs until Busso in May. You start picking up the training again in August, most IM/70.3 coaches/programs/squads start 12 - 14 weeks out from IMWA, so really you have 2 months "off" in June/July. But the less you train in June/July the harder August becomes 🤩.... Moving Busso 70.3 from May to Feb/March would be better.  It would also help with smaller races. A lot of people don't race in March/April because of their Busso programs, so having them after Busso would be sweet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It needs to pick up quickly or the state body will be broke before long.  A quick look at the annual reports will tell you that.

Almost half of TWAs revenue came from Busso last year with about a third from grants (which are precarious at best for a shrinking sport) and membership.  This year the income from the event will be smaller and the losses much bigger.  TWA had an operating loss of about $70k last year and the numbers appear to be way down on that so with only $400k equity at the start of the financial year it doesn't take a CA to figure out there is big trouble on the horizon.  Don't be surprised to see the board patting themselves on the back at the AGM though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Stikman said:

It needs to pick up quickly or the state body will be broke before long.  A quick look at the annual reports will tell you that.

Almost half of TWAs revenue came from Busso last year with about a third from grants (which are precarious at best for a shrinking sport) and membership.  This year the income from the event will be smaller and the losses much bigger.  TWA had an operating loss of about $70k last year and the numbers appear to be way down on that so with only $400k equity at the start of the financial year it doesn't take a CA to figure out there is big trouble on the horizon.  Don't be surprised to see the board patting themselves on the back at the AGM though.

There is something wrong with a sport where people on over 200 K look at it and go this is too expensive and the sport manages to shrink and lose money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The event will be fine, it just needs a bit of tweaking. 

- keep race on Saturday, afterparty on the Sunday was shite

- move fun run, 1km swim from Sunday to Friday

- move race to feb/march/april

- look at changing the course to mix things up

- liven up the run course, encouraging spectators to go down the arse end of the run, pop up pub?

- kona spots for top 20 45-49

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zed said:

Not sure how long everyone else's seasons are, but the WA season seems to drag.

Definitely the case for me. I'm struggling for motivation by the end of February.  Haven't raced Challenge Melbourne since they moved it to April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ZED

Plans already underway for some reasonably major changes from next year on......some you have mentioned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Triatx said:

ZED

Plans already underway for some reasonably major changes from next year on......some you have mentioned.

- kona spots for top 20 45-49

yes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, zed said:

- kona spots for top 20 45-49

yes?

All guys in the 45-49 would get my vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rob said:

Definitely the case for me. I'm struggling for motivation by the end of February.  Haven't raced Challenge Melbourne since they moved it to April.

I like the long season

hated the Sunday event

like busso

 

 

Edited by lzbones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Triatx said:

ZED

Plans already underway for some reasonably major changes from next year on......some you have mentioned.

Busselton fatigue ?

Dec: busso full. 

Jan? : Busselton Jetty swim festival

feb/mar: state Olympic champs (at least it was for a while)

may: busso 70.3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, lzbones said:

Busselton fatigue ?

Dec: busso full. 

Jan? : Busselton Jetty swim festival

feb/mar: state Olympic champs (at least it was for a while)

may: busso 70.3

I love racing Busso, especially when the weather is on point, which it usually is. But you don't always want to eat steak.... it would be great to have another 70.3 in WA. I liked Mandurah, they just got very unlucky with the weather, all 4 years were hot, 3 were crazy hot for that time of year. Another country 70.3 would be cool, not sure where though. There would be some awesome swim locations e.g Lancelin, Rotto, Albany. I wonder if a Perth 70.3 could be an option? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm always surprised you haven't got one north and maybe Challenge doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

I'm always surprised you haven't got one north and maybe Challenge doing it.

North as in where?

So far the non IM branded half distances haven't taken off. The Sufferfest races on Rotto, including the half, were poorly attended which was shit really. Awesome location, races were a good time of year, the race organisers started the race late so you could catch the ferry over. The last half they only had 45 people. Albany half was the other one that's now gone. I reckon that had potential. they could have had the bike along Frenchman's bay road which is spectacular, see below. Unfortunately I think anything other than IM branded races will struggle in WA. 

 

aerial-view-of-lake-and-goode-beach.jpg

Edited by zed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading between the lines I suspect that the May Busso half may not be a branded IM event next year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Stikman will know the answer, but I think the license goes for another couple of years? Or maybe just to next year, I don't recall what I heard now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/05/2019 at 9:54 AM, Stikman said:

It needs to pick up quickly or the state body will be broke before long.  A quick look at the annual reports will tell you that.

Almost half of TWAs revenue came from Busso last year with about a third from grants (which are precarious at best for a shrinking sport) and membership.  This year the income from the event will be smaller and the losses much bigger.  TWA had an operating loss of about $70k last year and the numbers appear to be way down on that so with only $400k equity at the start of the financial year it doesn't take a CA to figure out there is big trouble on the horizon.  Don't be surprised to see the board patting themselves on the back at the AGM though.

What’s ironic is they alienate people like myself ( and at least 2 other athlete/coaches I know) by f#%king around with our coaching qualification after the fact, so now when we do busso instead of coaching a few of our friends along the way - we don’t. There’s a few athletes gone there. And from stickmans triwa has a financial dependencey on busso for its budget.

go elite triathlon, gone lite triathlon coach pathway, go you good thing  

Edited by lzbones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Triatx is much more in the know than me but my understanding is two more years with substantial financial penalties if they don't run it.

LZ, Graeme Hill said at a coaches meeting when he was over here (You should have got an invitation through Frank) that those who already had the qualification were maintaining the old scope and would be insured.  Whether the insurer would have the same view in the event of a claim is questionable and without it in writing from TA as evidence it could be a big gamble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Stuie016 said:

Could the Challenge brand make a move over?

Id hope for you they don't.

I did Challenge Shep and then Geelong 70.3 this year and they were worlds apart from being professional and organised. 

This is where it shits me that people won't volunteer for Major events and then complain when they disappear. Sure they are making money just not how much they want to make.  But if you can assist to keep a race in your area, then you should if you aren't racing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Peter said:

Id hope for you they don't.

I did Challenge Shep and then Geelong 70.3 this year and they were worlds apart from being professional and organised. 

This is where it shits me that people won't volunteer for Major events and then complain when they disappear. Sure they are making money just not how much they want to make.  But if you can assist to keep a race in your area, then you should if you aren't racing.

Ok, being a newbie to the sport it's good to know these things.

Agree on the volunteer comment, however is the issue lack of volunteers or is it that the event isn't making the organisers enough money?  I imagine the issue with volunteers in Busso would be seeing it is 2 hours from Perth and then paying for accommodation on top of traveling to help out would be a deterrent to many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So anyways, who is going to be in Busso this weekend?

Racing

Zed (?)

 

Cheering

Katz

Stikman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Katz said:

So anyways, who is going to be in Busso this weekend?

Racing

Zed (?)

 

Cheering

Katz

Stikman

Beginnergirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, zed said:

Beginnergirl

Racing or Cheering?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Katz said:

Racing or Cheering?

I think she’s racing. But just recovered from AT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoy racing and also enjoy rooting on the sideline. Stay safe out there.

FM

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wave starts delayed by 30mins, hope swim isn't canned. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw some footage on Facebook live, didn't look pleasant, very breezy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/05/2019 at 10:59 AM, Flanman said:

Enjoy racing and also enjoy rooting on the sideline. Stay safe out there.

FM

Maybe they should just cheer and save the rooting for when they get home 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...