Mike Del

Anyone else watching the London marathon?

Anyone else watching the London marathon?

I'm watching on the facebook page Everything Running, not the best link though. Anyone watching that has a good link?

Amazing performance by Kipchoge. Crossed the line barely breathing as did Kosgei, the women's winner.

1st in time and 1st in 'freshness'!

King Kip just dropped the hammer and didn't look back. Anyone wanna bet he runs sub 2.01.20 in Berlin? 

I thought when Kosgei went and Cheruiyot came back to her that it might be game over, but she just kept smashing out 5min miles and just ran away comfortably. 66.42 second half is wicked. 

King Kip just dropped the hammer and didn't look back. Anyone wanna bet he runs sub 2.01.20 in Berlin? 

I thought when Kosgei went and Cheruiyot came back to her that it might be game over, but she just kept smashing out 5min miles and just ran away comfortably. 66.42 second half is wicked. 

Sinead Diver finished 7th in 2:24 and moves to 3rd on the Australian rankings. Particularly impressive at 42.

The depth of Australian women in the marathon in recent years has been encouraging. Of the 12 runners recording sub-2:30 times on the all-time list, 6 have been set in the last 2 years.

Lisa O'Dea/Martin/Ondieki's 2:23 from 31 years ago still stands out as 2nd on the rankings.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Paul Every said:

How long did Mo hang with the lead pack?

A little over half way, they surged and he dropped 12 sec back and just couldn't get back on. Dropped back further over the last 5k.

2 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

I joined at about 1hr 15min, and he was 10 seconds off the back then, so he must have dropped about halfway.

3 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

About halfway. They dropped the hammer and went from 4.45miles to 4.32 miles and he went out the back pretty quickly and never recovered. Didn't look to flash for the last 10k either. Cadence slowed and he was hurting 

One guy ran in a big Ben costume, trying to break the marathon record for running in a famous structure costume.  He didn't.  Took 4 attempts to get under the finish line (with some help), and also couldn't get into the pub afterwards so he left the costume standing outside.  CCT footage shows a group of other runners then stealing his costume.

56 minutes ago, goughy said:

One guy ran in a big Ben costume, trying to break the marathon record for running in a famous structure costume.  He didn't.  Took 4 attempts to get under the finish line (with some help), and also couldn't get into the pub afterwards so he left the costume standing outside.  CCT footage shows a group of other runners then stealing his costume.

I heard he was being closely followed by another guy also dressed as a clock tower trying to claim the record. 

Apparently it was a ding dong battle. 

:lol: :lol: :lol: 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, goughy said:

My friends were doing medical support on the finish line. Two of them went to help the guy but fortunately another friend of mine grabbed them in time as it could have invalidated the record!

Edited by monkie

Not a big fan of the Daily Mail but did think this was an interesting article re current performance levels

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-6969699/Its-hard-not-question-elite-1billion-London-Marathon.html

"So perhaps the best thing to do is enjoy the bloke called Aston Martin running dressed as a car, and the remarkable efforts of Kate Carter who became the fastest female in an animal suit when she ran 3.48 dressed as a panda. Because in 2019 it's becoming more difficult to watch the professionals without a hint of caution."

Edited by truck
edit