Sign in to follow this  
Leon

Steel is real

Hey all, hoping you don’t mind me indulging a story and a couple of pics. Thinking some may be interested.

60 odd years ago my mums twin sister sailed out of Sydney for Canada. There she married a Hungarian immigrant, uncle Ivan. Now Ivan only bought good gear generally. In the mid 80’s he bought a couple of bikes for him and my aunty. He did a little bit of riding, my Aunty did very little. At some point not long after getting the bikes they went into storage deep inside an attic crawl space. Ivan passed away a decade or so back and in recent years there have been preparations for my Aunty to return to Oz and live with my mum (twin 81 years olds now). My mum and my daughter did a trip over to Vancouver to help with packing the house up and my daughter dug those bikes out of the crawl space and sent me some photos. Needless to say, I put my hand up for ownership and after a couple of months, they turned up here in the Hunter Valley. I was waiting for them!

So I reckon the climate of Vancouver was very helpful in keeping these in good nick, plus being stuck away out of sunlight etc.

What I ended up with was 2 x 6 speed campag bikes - Tommasini (Ivan’s) and a Pinarello (my Aunty’s, hence the saddle).

A mate who rode professionally in Italy after the Seoul Olympic gave me a heads up that they date his time Italy, so we are thinking mid 80’s.

Original tubs on the bike, check out the tubs under the seats, and they hold air all these years later!

Not the best pics but hopefully good enough to show them off somewhat. The pinarello needs some more work to remove some dust and get those cables in the right place.

Most likely I will get the wheels rebuilt with clincher rims and the same hub. Other than that, the plan is to leave as is and do some fair weather riding on them.

(and if you are like me and always looking into the background of pics, yes my lawn is due for a mow 😁)

195B13EE-F21D-4CC5-B904-C59D985A0FB0.jpeg

F2C5E289-C9CD-4D06-BCE8-830FA7C948CB.jpeg

0F7716C7-18CE-4C36-B744-5B091CB4DF84.jpeg

5458AF14-7BEB-4162-B157-B3BF58CF7377.jpeg

C2A922AE-49E7-4646-A6BE-242028CA6ACE.jpeg

29BAA691-7B74-448A-8C00-748C7CED1B78.jpeg

• Like 3

Beautiful steel bikes (but stacking steel legged chairs against your back wall on grass will rust out the chair legs...)

But you must restore them with tubbies! Just ask Ex-HB.  personally I was always a Reynolds/Shimano man (Dura Ace back in the day had beautiful fretwork on the derailleur cages etc)

My pride and joy being a custom order  531 framed Berretto with 6spd DA (one of the first indexed ensembles sold in Qld ) with tubbies on its race wheels. We used to even run discount tubbies on training bikes (I think the Lion brand ones were about 15 each in the late 80's).

Are they Mavic GP-4 rims, with record hubs. I've still got a set in good nick here as well from the mid 80's.

2 hours ago, trifun said:

But you must restore them with tubbies! Just ask Ex-HB.

It's SINGLES Ron.

Yes, must leave them with singles. You can get good puncture resistant ones now for touring & cruising around.

• Like 1

Nice mate, great find and nice they have some personal history with you too. 

If I do ride again i reckon it will be on a steelie project. 

• Like 1

With those bikes, it would criminal not to get yourself over to L'eroica. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trifun said:

Beautiful steel bikes (but stacking steel legged chairs against your back wall on grass will rust out the chair legs...)

But you must restore them with tubbies! Just ask Ex-HB.  personally I was always a Reynolds/Shimano man (Dura Ace back in the day had beautiful fretwork on the derailleur cages etc)

My pride and joy being a custom order  531 framed Berretto with 6spd DA (one of the first indexed ensembles sold in Qld ) with tubbies on its race wheels. We used to even run discount tubbies on training bikes (I think the Lion brand ones were about 15 each in the late 80's).

I saw those chairs in the pic and wondered if anyone would call them out, well done, love it!

Electrician needed to get under the house and they came out a couple days back as they were in his way, slack me just hasn’t put them back. Another story with those things but that is for another time.

advice taken about singles and keeping it ridgy-didge.

appreciate the thoughts.

Nice bike mate. If you have trouble getting parts, pm me. I can put you onto a guy in Melbourne if you get stuck. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Are they Mavic GP-4 rims, with record hubs. I've still got a set in good nick here as well from the mid 80's.

It's SINGLES Ron.

Yes, must leave them with singles. You can get good puncture resistant ones now for touring & cruising around.

Yeah that was what I used to/prefer to call them (tubbies is more like my current body shape :( )

On 27/04/2019 at 9:57 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Leon, Check out this FB group. I'm sure they'd love to see the bikes too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1964038837142584/?fref=nf

The guys on that page are EXPERTS with these sort of bikes. 

That Tommasini is quite something, looks like it is running Campag Triomphe which came out in 1985 from memory, so I agree with your dating on them both.

Ive actually got sidetracked into the whole steel bike building and collecting thing, its getting a bit out of control. Im trying to stop lol

I have

1985 Merckx Panasonic with 6 speed Campag Triomphe and Shamal wheels

1999 Fausto Coppi (Team Polti) aluminium running triple 8 speed Campag Athena with Mavic Cosmic wheels

1970s Faggin (Italian) running Campag Chorus with 8 speed Vento wheels

1981 Royal Star (Sydney) with 6 speed Campag Gran Sport. Fiamme bars, stem and wheels

1980s Lennie Rogers (Sydney) with Zeus New racer gruppo. Fiamme wheels.

1980s Laurie Rogers (Lennies brother) with Suntour Superbe Pro. Superbe Pro hubs and Wolber rims.

Late 1980s Peter Bundy (sydney) with Shimano 600 TriColour group

1970's Blom (Sydney) with Shimano 600EX. Mavic GPX wheels.

1975 Pep Magni (Italy) with Galli groupset, gold Champion Arc-en-Ciel rims.

1983 Sekai (japanese) with a mix of Japanese parts, SR, Suntour, Nitto, Sugino etc. Araya wheels.

1970s Flandria (Belgium) with Galli groupset and NOS Galli wheelset

1945 Blackbird (Sydney) with 3 speed cyclo gears

1935 SJH track bike with inch pitch drive

there are others too

I also have my dads bikes, a 1960 Cinelli with Gran Sport and a 1960s Bismire (Sydney) track bike.

Edited by Derny Driver
  • Like 4